Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

MC2552John posted:

Why would you feel bad? Are you hiding something? :pwn:

I'd just feel bad that I'm wasting $20 of savings someone else could be enjoying, but that's dumb and I'll get over it. Steam name's the same as my forum name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

apostateCourier posted:

I'd take a copy of the Chaos Edition, but I already have the Legendary edition and I'm not certain if I'd feel bad for accepting it or not.

I'm in the same boat as this guy, I'd like to play some chorfs but it kind of seems like a waste when you could be giving someone a whole game instead of what is effectively a DLC.

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
One of the private leagues I'm in is approaching the postseason, and through various reasons many of the top teams that qualify for playoff spots have their ranking points tied with other teams that technically don't. How does the game decide which of these teams with equal points will be let into the playoffs, and which won't? Does it "break" ties with some secondary statistic? I can't seem to find any information about it in either the game or the rulebook.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, I'll shamelessly take the copy if those two guys wont. :)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the difference between Championships and Cups?
I have no idea how those gamemodes work and the game doesn't explain them anywhere.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I believe Championship just runs you through a single tournament, whereas Cup is a World Cup type event where you go through a one or two qualifying tournaments first.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

In Cup you split up into divisions and play every other team in your division. Then, the top X teams make it to the championship playoffs.

Which is actually a good segue into the post I was going to make, which is that I've started another Random Skill League for CE/LE players. If you've never played an RSL before, the basic idea is that you randomly roll a die to determine which team you'll play as, we play a Cup style league, and for every level up you roll, you roll random die to determine which skill to take. If you can fit a game per week into your schedule, and the idea of rolling a Hail Mary Pass Kroxigor interests you, you should come join.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

I am so incredibly interested in this. How do I become a part of it?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Duderclese posted:

I am so incredibly interested in this. How do I become a part of it?

I put the link in my post up there but here it is again
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530329

Go read the thread then roll and make a team, you've got a whole week to get registered

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

So for the RSl I've rolled dark elves. I don't have too much experience with them, so are there any helpful tips or videos that I could watch to get a better idea of the general playstyle. I know that they are the bashiest elves, but not much beyond that.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Brainamp posted:

So for the RSl I've rolled dark elves. I don't have too much experience with them, so are there any helpful tips or videos that I could watch to get a better idea of the general playstyle. I know that they are the bashiest elves, but not much beyond that.

You play a running/caging game rather than the run-throw-run-handoff-score game of other elves. Scoop up the ball, run the ball down while screening/caging and bashing their dudes. Keep a couple players out of the melee as scoring threats, whenever you feel like you're losing control of the game or you need to reset the positions just toss the ball out to one of the scoring threats and score. If that never happens than you can just happily cage up deep in their half forever and score on turn 8.

On defense you're a lot like other elves but you need to be more careful with your positioning. You still elf screen to force them to make dumb rolls that you can exploit and score off of. However you don't have the MA to fix mistakes, so you need to screen properly from the get-go because if they swap sides on you you might find you're not able to get back in front of the ball before they score.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dump off is awesome.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

uPen posted:

You play a running/caging game rather than the run-throw-run-handoff-score game of other elves.

You can play a passing game, you just have to be aware that ít is very situational as your movement is nowhere near as good as other elf teams. If you have someone within range of the end zone it can be well worth going for a passing play as your high agility helps a ton.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm in the same boat as this guy, I'd like to play some chorfs but it kind of seems like a waste when you could be giving someone a whole game instead of what is effectively a DLC.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, I'll shamelessly take the copy if those two guys wont. :)

Gimme those friend requests nerds.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I have Legendary Edition that I bought directly from Cyanide; is there some way I can register it on steam and buy an upgrade to Chaos Edition that way?

Just figured it out.

Anyone up for a game?

phoenij on steam.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 27, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Get on IRC and I'll play. ++ungood on steam, Arglebarble III in Cyanide.

Does anyone have tips for setting up a defense with lizards? I have no idea what I'm doing and I make defenses that other people just walk right through.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
So odd question, but does anyone in the thread still play the good old cardboard-and-miniatures version of Blood Bowl?

I've recently started up a small tabletop league with a couple of friends who've been playing off and on since the pre-LRB days. Maybe I'm just more of a trad gamer than a video gamer, but I've found the strategy phenomenally easier to grasp with actual miniatures in hand. I would've thought it'd be harder without the computer keeping track of rules and movement diagrams, but no. Partly because you can tell the players apart easier when they're static brightly-colored miniatures instead of dancing browngrey sprites. Partly because it's nice to look at your opponent and ask "Which guys have guard again?" and s/he can point to a couple players, rather than having to mouse over each one individually. Partly because "misclicks" are easier to take back. ("I'm gonna move to here..." "You'll need to dodge away from my lineman here." "Whoops, backing up.")

But mostly because I can try to activate a player in the wide zones without accidentally getting a nice loving cameraful of the motherfucking stands. gently caress that stupid elf and his stupid pants, he's caused me more turnovers through timeout than all the skulls and ones in the loving universe.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hit escape to get back to the overhead camera. Always.

Indolent Bastard posted:

phoenij on steam.

Can't message you on steam, are you in the game client?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 27, 2013

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Get on IRC and I'll play. ++ungood on steam, Arglebarble III in Cyanide.

Does anyone have tips for setting up a defense with lizards? I have no idea what I'm doing and I make defenses that other people just walk right through.

Start with six saurii, punch the poo poo out of everyone while harassing the ball with skinks. If in doubt try to force your opponent to make as many rolls as possible.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Arglebargle III posted:

Hit escape to get back to the overhead camera. Always.

Can't message you on steam, are you in the game client?

There are a lot of variants of ungood on Steam, add me. I'm MC2552John, and in IRC as the same.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Carraway Effect posted:

So odd question, but does anyone in the thread still play the good old cardboard-and-miniatures version of Blood Bowl?

I've recently started up a small tabletop league with a couple of friends who've been playing off and on since the pre-LRB days. Maybe I'm just more of a trad gamer than a video gamer, but I've found the strategy phenomenally easier to grasp with actual miniatures in hand. I would've thought it'd be harder without the computer keeping track of rules and movement diagrams, but no. Partly because you can tell the players apart easier when they're static brightly-colored miniatures instead of dancing browngrey sprites. Partly because it's nice to look at your opponent and ask "Which guys have guard again?" and s/he can point to a couple players, rather than having to mouse over each one individually. Partly because "misclicks" are easier to take back. ("I'm gonna move to here..." "You'll need to dodge away from my lineman here." "Whoops, backing up.")

But mostly because I can try to activate a player in the wide zones without accidentally getting a nice loving cameraful of the motherfucking stands. gently caress that stupid elf and his stupid pants, he's caused me more turnovers through timeout than all the skulls and ones in the loving universe.

I am not confident in the Bloodbowl rules to properly play it not at computer :( But I do agree about the tacklezone thing, but I'm colourblind and can barely see the red circles from the green ones. Especially if I don't know to look for the TZ.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I just had this game bug out and let me put 13 players on the pitch to my (CPU) opponents 11. :psyduck:

I guess they just _really_ wanted to win and realized nobody was really counting.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MC2552John posted:

Gimme those friend requests nerds.

Thanks! Had fun pulling ridiculous elfy bullshit out of my rear end and making you suffer for being so generous. I'm sorry.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I just had this game bug out and let me put 13 players on the pitch to my (CPU) opponents 11. :psyduck:

I guess they just _really_ wanted to win and realized nobody was really counting.

I had this exact thing happen except it was vs another goon, cyanide doesn't care at all. (The extra players bug has been in since launch)

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Thanks! Had fun pulling ridiculous elfy bullshit out of my rear end and making you suffer for being so generous. I'm sorry.

0-0-23. I am the Factory of Sadness. I make the Cleveland Browns look good.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Is there a way to fire my players in a classic mode campaign? I can't find the option anywhere.

e: Oh for fucks... the red X next to their names. That I just sort of never noticed until I glanced at it just now.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 27, 2013

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Carraway Effect posted:

I learned the game on tabletop and I do agree that it's easier that way. You're kind of forced to learn a bunch of rules since you have no assist from the computer and for me that works really well. That said, once you know the rules the ease of use of playing online is just so nice. And the fact that I can play any team without buying, proxing or borrowing miniatures also helps.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just did an online match for the first time and wait I only have 20 seconds to do my turns? :tviv:

It was Underworld vs. Khorne. I got terrible ball-handling rolls but wonderful bashing rolls. Lost, but won in that I permanently damaged someone's leg or something. :woop:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The Orange Mage posted:

I just did an online match for the first time and wait I only have 20 seconds to do my turns? :tviv:

It was Underworld vs. Khorne. I got terrible ball-handling rolls but wonderful bashing rolls. Lost, but won in that I permanently damaged someone's leg or something. :woop:

The dialogue box that comes up when you start matchmaking lets you choose if you want 40, 120 or 240 second turns. Always select 4 minutes.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

uPen posted:

The dialogue box that comes up when you start matchmaking lets you choose if you want 40, 120 or 240 second turns. Always select 4 minutes.

Pretty sure there was no dialog box. I hit the Matchmaking button and it started searching right away. :pwn:

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

The Orange Mage posted:

Pretty sure there was no dialog box. I hit the Matchmaking button and it started searching right away. :pwn:

You need to hit the actual football on the matchmaking button to bring up the matchmaking preferences menu.

From there, you need to assign your preference for each team you have. I always go min and max 4 minute turns.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Welcome to cyanide bloodbowl, enjoy your stay

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
2 minute turns are pretty good too, but yeah, 40 second turns is ridiculous. I had a Wood Elves team running at 10 wins and 0 losses at one point when I forgot to turn off 40 second matches and ended up playing against a Lizardman team in a 40 second match. This team was just designed to win 40 second matches. You have to react so quickly (especially since the animations often take up time) and every one of his players had poo poo like diving tackle, shadowing, pass block, etc.

The team suffered its first loss and my best wardancer got killed :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cmndstab posted:

(especially since the animations often take up time)

The game always pauses the clock during animations, as well as most dialog boxes and popups and stuff.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
2 minute turns are fine if you have two players that know what they're doing and its not an important game to either of them. I mean normally my turns are under 90s, but sometimes you just need time to plan a reasonable play set up surfs.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
The only time long turns are bad is when the other player finishes all their moves and then runs out the clock in a passive agressive move to get you to quit by dragging out the game. But I can only assume no Goon would ever do that to a fellow Goon.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Nah, if goons wanted to grief other goons they'd play Dwarves more often. :v:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Leperflesh posted:

The game always pauses the clock during animations, as well as most dialog boxes and popups and stuff.

Yes, but often you lose some fraction of a second before the animation starts, and while you're waiting to get control back again. Even if you have the cursor waiting for the animation to finish and immediately direct a player to block, you'll lose a couple of seconds between the animations.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Indolent Bastard posted:

The only time long turns are bad is when the other player finishes all their moves and then runs out the clock in a passive agressive move to get you to quit by dragging out the game. But I can only assume no Goon would ever do that to a fellow Goon.

Make sure to play an all snotling ogre team so you can take 30 seconds at a time with side step too during their turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I've gotten a team into the low 2000s for the first time, and I'm not sure what to spend my pile of money on. Are cheerleaders/assistant coaches/obscene numbers of rerolls worth the additional TV, or should I hold onto it for when my level 6 werewolf inevitably gets murdered by a rookie skink?

• Locked thread