Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Are children character locked into their skills/stats as soon as you open their sidequest, or not until you actually start the sidequest? If it's the first, whoops!

When you start it, not when you unlock it. I have tested and confirmed this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

When you start it, not when you unlock it. I have tested and confirmed this.

Alright thanks. I actually ended up testing it myself because I didn't have a backup file. Nah had Aptitude even though Donnel didn't have it in the last slot when I opened the sidequest.

Also man I think I should come back later, because there's a bunch of promoted units and I'm scared.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
For people who've played a ways into the game, is Pairing Up a newbie unit with an experienced unit a workable strategy for getting said newbie unit started? If not, is there another way to get low-level units their first few levels in relative safety?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Slate Action posted:

For people who've played a ways into the game, is Pairing Up a newbie unit with an experienced unit a workable strategy for getting said newbie unit started? If not, is there another way to get low-level units their first few levels in relative safety?

Do you mean pairing them up for stat gains, or pairing them up and hoping for dual attacks? Because the latter was never very reliable, but pairing Donnel up with Vaike and other strong offensive units was the only way he could do enough damage to kill people. You can also give them the Glass Weapons, which are pretty useful for training low level characters.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

Do you mean pairing them up for stat gains, or pairing them up and hoping for dual attacks? Because the latter was never very reliable, but pairing Donnel up with Vaike and other strong offensive units was the only way he could do enough damage to kill people. You can also give them the Glass Weapons, which are pretty useful for training low level characters.

If you unlock Rally skills, does that make them more formidable? How much experience do you get for Rallying?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Levantine posted:

If you unlock Rally skills, does that make them more formidable? How much experience do you get for Rallying?

I actually don't have any Rally skills yet, they're all second tier and my units are just starting to get promoted. My Avatar is the only character who has their -/5 skill so far.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Slate Action posted:

You won't dual attack reliably enough without a high support level. It's viable for catching up someone who has fallen behind, but not for bringing up someone new. Skirmishes are the approximate level of the mission they spawn at, and you can spawn them on demand with an item. So if you want to powerlevel someone on low level units, you can go to an early mission and do that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

I actually don't have any Rally skills yet, they're all second tier and my units are just starting to get promoted. My Avatar is the only character who has their -/5 skill so far.

Do you promote them directly as they get to level 10 and you have a free Seal, or do you wait?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

Do you promote them directly as they get to level 10 and you have a free Seal, or do you wait?

I've been waiting, because old habits die hard. I do have some reclassed units (Nowi, Donnel, Vaike), that I'm promoting as soon as they make it back to 10.

I'd have to see what level I end up at by endgame, but I get the feeling promoting at 10 or so may be the way to go. That way you can get tier 2 skills earlier, and you can make up the levels later on, albeit somewhat slower.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 2, 2013

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I hope everyone is ready to immediately post when Amazon ships them their copy. Friends have to be there for each other in their times of need!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

JackDarko posted:

I hope everyone is ready to immediately post when Amazon ships them their copy. Friends have to be there for each other in their times of need!

Roger that, brother! I emailed their support to ask about how they were handling the odd street date and retail store leaks and they maintain that orders will be shipped out on 2/4. No release date shipping for us, unfortunately.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
The Marth DLC is a pretty safe (and free) way to level weak units if you pair them with a tank. (minor gameplay spoilers) It's a bit slow since NPC allies can killsteal, but you do also get two free random village items and two sparklies.

Mordecai fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 2, 2013

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Mordecai posted:

The Marth DLC is a pretty safe (and free) way to level weak units if you pair them with a tank. (minor gameplay spoilers) It's a bit slow since NPC allies can killsteal, but you do also get two free random village items and two sparklies.

The SpotPass team available right now: Florina, is better for this. Namely because There are more enemy units and no NPC allies to deal with.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

yellowcar posted:

The SpotPass team available right now: Florina, is better for this. Namely because There are more enemy units and no NPC allies to deal with.

I didn't get that one. I got Serra and then Eliwood; Serra I can beat no problem, but Eliwood has terrifying things with 80 HP that hit my tanks for 40+ damage... per swing. Are they randomized?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Prism posted:

I didn't get that one. I got Serra and then Eliwood; Serra I can beat no problem, but Eliwood has terrifying things with 80 HP that hit my tanks for 40+ damage... per swing. Are they randomized?

I think it's generated based on the number of unique wifi networks in your vicinity.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I have both Nino and Jaffar available right now and hoo boy they are some monsters even though the former's got a four-man team.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Oh man, I am currently passing the time by weighing pros and cons of various parent combos for making children capable of the most asskicking. Monday cannot come fast enough.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Oh man, I am currently passing the time by weighing pros and cons of various parent combos for making children capable of the most asskicking. Monday cannot come fast enough.

Galeforce. Galeforce all day everyday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Galeforce and make sure Chrom gets a daughter.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

What?

Rightful King Lethality/Sol/Luna is way more useful than just Aether. At anything below 40 Skill, you activate Lethality more than you would Aether and you have a boosted chance of activating Sol and Luna as well.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 3, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zore posted:

What?

Rightful King Lethality/Sol/Luna is way more useful than just Aether.

I'd rather have the extra skill slot than waste two on Sol/Luna, especially since Aether triggers both instead of just one. The extra activation rate is by no means terrible but with 5 skill slots per character I find that at far more of a premium.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm bad at making these kind of judgement calls myself, so I'll just ask. Around when should I start recruiting children characters? The enemies in the available paralogues seem to be a fair bit above what I can handle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

I'm bad at making these kind of judgement calls myself, so I'll just ask. Around when should I start recruiting children characters? The enemies in the available paralogues seem to be a fair bit above what I can handle.

Recruit them when their parents have skills you want to pass along. You can do every one as soon as they become available but it is a waste to do so before you've got skills to pass.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I... I think I made a mistake preordering this game instead of just buying it from the eShop. Monday's a holiday over here, so I could easily stay up until late on Sunday to download it, and since it's a holiday, there's very little possibilities of the store getting the game on time.
Not to mention I think the physical copy will definitely cost me more than a digital one.
I just wanted to have an actual cartridge :(

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sounds good. It'll be a while before I get to the -/15 skills, but whatever.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I love Myrmidons so when I got Lon'qu I absolutely had to start training him. He could double attack enemies, sure, but still didn't output enough damage to kill things and usually took one too many hits in return. Par for the course with Myrmidons, really. So I paired him with Vaike.

Vaike and Lon'qu are a goddamn murder machine. Literally nothing I've fought so far has survived a single round against these guys. Lon'qu doubles every Barbarian I come across and the +6 to Str he gets from Vaike makes sure they stay down. Going up against some lance-wielding Knights? Switch to Vaike instead and have Lon'qu give him a +6 bonus to Spd. Big boss with tons of health? Back to Lon'qu with a Killing Edge-- either he's going to crit on one of his two attacks with a massive Str boost or Vaike jumps on in and slaps the enemy around himself.

I wish they could make beautiful babies together.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yes, Galeforce was the very first thing I was looking at.

As for the second thing, I've been waffling back and forth on whether I'd like Chrom to have two Aether daughters, with Cynthia having the additional advantage of getting Bowbreaker from inherited Bow Knight class to help counteract the traditional Pegasus Knight weakness to arrows, or to have a kid with Avatar F for Royal Weapon + whatever I want to pair it with on Morgan M.

I've also been trying to pay attention to other potentially solid skill combos like Movement+1/Pass/Acrobatics/Carrier for crazy mobility, the various attack skills for the best chance of something activating, Aegis + Pavise for potential tankiness, Hex + Crimson Curse + Patience for potential dodge tankiness, etc.

Really, though, what it seems like to me is that there's gonna be plenty of powerful skill setup combos, so what things will come down to is having a nice balance of them throughout the army and maintaining supports for even more benefits.

Edit: Also as weird as it is, I'm considering making my Avatar F a Rallybot later down the line. Lightning Speed to get a kill, then Rally Spectrum/Love/whatever else for significant boosts to allies in range seems like a solid plan.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 3, 2013

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

yellowcar posted:

I would love that, but I only have Nergal and his six level 20 advanced class buddies.

So this caught me by surprise since it promotes out of Pegasus Knight, but a tomes-focused Dark Flier is surprisingly good. I was just trying to rush Lissa to Galeforce, but then I tried some magic and noticed it hits harder than lances thanks to all those Cleric levels. She's now the terror of the skies, obliterating anything flying with Wind magic, ignoring the weapon triangle except to stab mages in the face. I think I'll be keeping her in my A-team even after 15.

Mordecai fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 3, 2013

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

neongrey posted:

I have both Nino and Jaffar available right now and hoo boy they are some monsters even though the former's got a four-man team.

I went into Nino's map thinking haha, it's like three promotes I can split them and kill them NP.

Then I saw the assassin with 40 skill, 30 some speed and a Killing Edge for ~31 attack. Nope.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kaubocks posted:

I love Myrmidons so when I got Lon'qu I absolutely had to start training him. He could double attack enemies, sure, but still didn't output enough damage to kill things and usually took one too many hits in return. Par for the course with Myrmidons, really. So I paired him with Vaike.

Vaike and Lon'qu are a goddamn murder machine. Literally nothing I've fought so far has survived a single round against these guys. Lon'qu doubles every Barbarian I come across and the +6 to Str he gets from Vaike makes sure they stay down. Going up against some lance-wielding Knights? Switch to Vaike instead and have Lon'qu give him a +6 bonus to Spd. Big boss with tons of health? Back to Lon'qu with a Killing Edge-- either he's going to crit on one of his two attacks with a massive Str boost or Vaike jumps on in and slaps the enemy around himself.

Sully does much the same job for me. I reclassed her into Wyvern Rider or whatever the basic class is after she got to Chevalier 12 (would've been 10 but I didn't have a Second Seal available immediately) and holy poo poo, she is a massacre machine.

I actually paired him with someone else though. But god drat, is Sully effective.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

Have them both have kids and then put the kids together, clearly.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

Have them both have kids and then put the kids together, clearly.
How long do I have until the whole kids thing happens, anyway? More specifically, what chapter is the cutoff date I need to have S-Rank conversations by? I really haven't been working much on supports at all-- been too focused on surviving. I've got My Unit and Stahl close to S-Rank but other than that I barely have anyone beyond C-Rank.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There's no cutoff.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Kaubocks posted:

How long do I have until the whole kids thing happens, anyway? More specifically, what chapter is the cutoff date I need to have S-Rank conversations by? I really haven't been working much on supports at all-- been too focused on surviving. I've got My Unit and Stahl close to S-Rank but other than that I barely have anyone beyond C-Rank.

Outside one of special case, there is no time limit. After chapter 13, any pairings with S-rank will unlock their respective sidequest that you can run in to unlock their kid.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Dr Pepper posted:

There's no cutoff.

Except for Chrom. He's got til Chapter 13 IIRC.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kaubocks posted:

Chrom is the only one with a cutoff, at the end of Chapter 11 he'll be paired with the support partner he has the highest support level with regardless if they've even gotten to C rank.

No one else is ever cut off; the sidequests begin popping up after chapter 13, but you won't be able to get to some of them straight away unless you advance a few chapters or connect through other children sidequests. For instance, you need to have Cordelia and Sumia married off before you can reach Lissa's sidequest until you get to chapter 15 when you can reach it from the regular chapters.

Some minor spoilers if you want to see how the connections thing works for yourself.
World Map
Paralogue Requirements

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 3, 2013

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Sweet, thanks for the heads up guys.

Since I'm already asking questions, anyone mind telling me how this whole SpotPass thing works? I've never used any Street/SpotPass functions for any other game before because my understanding on it is that you'd have to pass by other people who are also doing the same thing. I figured I'd never run into anybody doing that so it was a waste of time. Apparently SpotPass just connects to the internet while the 3DS is in sleep mode, yeah?

If there's already SpotPass content, should my 3DS just download it overnight if left in sleep mode? Does Fire Emblem need to be running for it to start downloading SpotPass content?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Kaubocks posted:

Since I'm already asking questions, anyone mind telling me how this whole SpotPass thing works? I've never used any Street/SpotPass functions for any other game before because my understanding on it is that you'd have to pass by other people who are also doing the same thing. I figured I'd never run into anybody doing that so it was a waste of time. Apparently SpotPass just connects to the internet while the 3DS is in sleep mode, yeah?

If there's already SpotPass content, should my 3DS just download it overnight if left in sleep mode? Does Fire Emblem need to be running for it to start downloading SpotPass content?

As long as you're connected to the internet or pass a person who've played the game, you can recruit certain old characters (if Spotpass) and other people's Avatars (if Streetpass). You can also get weapons and paralogues that allows you to recruit characters from the main story that you couldn't get otherwise.

And yes, it should be able to download overnight if you haven't gotten it yet, and it's in Sleep Mode (it can activate outside of Sleep Mode too, but never if you've turned the system off). You will need to have the game inserted, but otherwise, there should be no problems (the digital version will download Spotpass content every day as long as there's content).

Gah, I'm planning out my male Avatar, and I'm stuck on whether I should have +Speed/-HP or +Skill/-Strength (I've already decided on +Speed/-Strength for my female Avatar, who will be a Rallier for male Morgan). On one hand, +Speed/-HP ensures I won't get doubled by normal enemies, but +Skill/-Strength keeps my Magic as is, and gives me Skill and Defense. Either one allows me to have every stat except Strength at 40 or over as a Sorcerer (which will ensure 100% Vengeance and 50/51% Luna once I get Limit Breaker muahahahah!).

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
What's the name of the BGM that plays on chapter 10? I'd written off the game's music as rather dull but this piece is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

What's the name of the BGM that plays on chapter 10? I'd written off the game's music as rather dull but this piece is really good.

Don't you dare mock my sister's words!

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 3, 2013

• Locked thread