Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Do the GPIO serial pins need root to be accessed from a python script? I am making a sunrise alarm clock with web based controls, and to do pwm dimming on the LEDs without jitter while also using audio, I'm going to use either a bare ATmega or an Arduino controlled over serial.

I could use the USB serial on the Arduino, but that'd waste a $30 board. I'd rather use the $3 chip hooked up directly.

I'm also debating using an i2c led controller, but python tutorials for i2c tend to call for root privileges.

EDIT: Never mind, I'm an idiot. Serial does not need root on Linux. I'm still not 100% clear on if i2c needs root.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

moron posted:

Am I right in saying that OpenELEC/RaspBMC will act as a receiver for Airplay video? If so, does it run ok on the Pi? Or is it a slow, janky piece of poo poo?
I stream stuff from my ipod to OpenELEC and it all works really well.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Oben posted:

I stream stuff from my ipod to OpenELEC and it all works really well.

I've got an RPi tucked behind my stereo with a wireless card for Airplay audio files. You can also do option-click the volume from that computer for an easy way to get Slacker or Pandora streaming.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I decided to try out the Airplay as well this afternoon, spent $3 on a jailbreak app that will allow me to mirror HBO Go and MAX Go, totally worth it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

TVarmy posted:

I'm still not 100% clear on if i2c needs root.

As long as you add your user account to the i2c group, no, you don't need root.

Flatulence Jones
May 21, 2012
Does anyone know of an 802.11N wifi adapter that will work OOB with OpenELEC? I have one with the RT5370 chipset, but it refuses to connect. All of the settings are correct and LSMOD shows the driver as loaded. I just want something which will work with no hassle.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

moron posted:

Am I right in saying that OpenELEC/RaspBMC will act as a receiver for Airplay video? If so, does it run ok on the Pi? Or is it a slow, janky piece of poo poo?

AirPlay in XBMC works brilliantly for the most part, with two major caveats: Mirroring isn't supported, and DRM-encoded videos aren't supported.

Flatulence Jones posted:

Does anyone know of an 802.11N wifi adapter that will work OOB with OpenELEC? I have one with the RT5370 chipset, but it refuses to connect. All of the settings are correct and LSMOD shows the driver as loaded. I just want something which will work with no hassle.

The Asus USB-N10 (RTL8188SU) seems like a popular choice.

Also depending on the adapter you may have to use a powered hub.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 4, 2013

Flatulence Jones
May 21, 2012

frumpsnake posted:

The Asus USB-N10 (RTL8188SU) seems like a popular choice.

Also depending on the adapter you may have to use a powered hub.

Thanks! Started googling about USB hubs and got this page, which coincidentally uses the exact adapter I have:

http://www.mike-worth.com/2012/11/26/adding-wi-fi-to-a-raspberry-pi-without-a-powered-hub/

So it looks like you are correct in that it requires a powered hub. Oh well, I should have done my research before I purchased.

A comment on that page led me to the Edimax EW-7811Un, which apparently works well with no hub. The amazon page has hundreds of five-star reviews, including many about the Pi. I think I've found my dongle of choice.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Flatulence Jones posted:

Thanks! Started googling about USB hubs and got this page, which coincidentally uses the exact adapter I have:

http://www.mike-worth.com/2012/11/26/adding-wi-fi-to-a-raspberry-pi-without-a-powered-hub/

So it looks like you are correct in that it requires a powered hub. Oh well, I should have done my research before I purchased.

A comment on that page led me to the Edimax EW-7811Un, which apparently works well with no hub. The amazon page has hundreds of five-star reviews, including many about the Pi. I think I've found my dongle of choice.

I bought an EW-7811UN with my RPi, and it does not work correctly with Raspbian 6, but is much happier with 7 (though I expect you're at 7 anyway).

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Cool article about running an old rear end Mainframe operating system on the Pi using an emulator:

http://mainframed767.tumblr.com/post/41201454530/a-mainframe-on-your-raspberry-pi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Raspberry High now transmits status messages to #yospos on synIRC when it changes mode. I've been coding a fair bit, testing extensively, and learning about all sorts of fun stuff like how to poll serial in Perl, and how to build a usable UI for something that could burn a house down out of four buttons, a pot and a 20x2 LCD.

All I need to do is hook in Net::Twitter tonight, and we will have fulfilled the original scope of the project, which was to create 'a bong that tweets when you hit it".

More in the yosthread, we're getting down to code and such at the end.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507531
http://raspberryhigh.wikia.com/

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Jonny 290 posted:

Raspberry High now transmits status messages to #yospos on synIRC when it changes mode. I've been coding a fair bit, testing extensively, and learning about all sorts of fun stuff like how to poll serial in Perl, and how to build a usable UI for something that could burn a house down out of four buttons, a pot and a 20x2 LCD.

All I need to do is hook in Net::Twitter tonight, and we will have fulfilled the original scope of the project, which was to create 'a bong that tweets when you hit it".

Your doing gods work now.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
just ordered on of these yesterday.. looking forward to plying with XBMC and the pin outs via breadboard.

It has so much potential, im running into a brain freeze on exactly what i want to do with it atm

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I'm in South Korea looking to buy one of these to replace an old AppleTV that I sold. One of my friends is visiting United States right now but is there any place that I could possibly order to have delivered to California by the 18th?

They are $60 here. Also deodorant is $12 a can.

politicorific fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 6, 2013

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I ordered mine on the 4th from Newark (Canada, but I think they share the same stock?), and even though they said it was in stock, the order is backordered until the 18th. Unless you can find other sites that sell it and have stock (and their website doesn't lie about it being in stock), then you might be out of luck.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I ordered mine at like 10p on Thurs 1/17, received Tues 1/22. Pretty good considering I didn't pay for better shipping, and there was a weekend in there.
Ordered from : http://www.alliedelec.com/lp/120626raso/

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Little tip: if you want to run a breadboard based Arduino compatible chip off of 3.3 volts to avoid voltage shifting and multiple boards, it is possible, but you have to set it up with the right boot loader and fuse bits so it runs at 1 mhz to save power and run more reliably. The slowduino hardware files worked great for me on an Atmega 168.

This assumes you don't want an external oscillator, which apparently helps the chip run a little faster. Serial works better at 4800 Hz, but it was great for my application (chip that reads serial bytes intermittently to control pwm off its own clock, instead of an external clock like a TLC 5940).

This is way better to me than using a whole board and logic shifter just for pwm.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

This is just amazing!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What kind of performance does a rasp pi have as a file server? I just did a bad test by copying a bunch of tiny files off my xbmc pi and it was going just over a megabyte. Not really fast enough. Does it work better using a USB disk and NFS(and not running xbmc)?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jago posted:

What kind of performance does a rasp pi have as a file server? I just did a bad test by copying a bunch of tiny files off my xbmc pi and it was going just over a megabyte. Not really fast enough. Does it work better using a USB disk and NFS(and not running xbmc)?

It doesn't have particularly fast ethernet or USB controllers so I wouldn't expect a whole lot. Its size and cost makes it a decent fileserver if you need something portable but for home use I'd still go with the Packrats unite! The consumer NAS/storage megathread suggestions.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Raspbmc just went final: http://www.raspbmc.com/2013/02/raspbmc-hits-final/

I ordered my first Pi a few days ago from element14 (Australia), when I ordered it said there would be a 3 week wait time but yesterday I got an email saying my order had shipped, so here's hoping I get it soon!

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Gism0 posted:

Raspbmc just went final: http://www.raspbmc.com/2013/02/raspbmc-hits-final/

I ordered my first Pi a few days ago from element14 (Australia), when I ordered it said there would be a 3 week wait time but yesterday I got an email saying my order had shipped, so here's hoping I get it soon!

I had a similar situation with element14 here in the US. I don't remember the exact dates but I wasn't supposed to get it until the 11th of this month and it actually arrived on Wednesday.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Mega Shark posted:

I had a similar situation with element14 here in the US. I don't remember the exact dates but I wasn't supposed to get it until the 11th of this month and it actually arrived on Wednesday.

Same here. They said the delivery date wasn't until next week but I got mine a few weeks ago.

Has anyone messed with the Raspbmc 1.0 since it was released? Mines installing now, but I think I like OpenELEC the best so far.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

iceslice posted:

Same here. They said the delivery date wasn't until next week but I got mine a few weeks ago.

Has anyone messed with the Raspbmc 1.0 since it was released? Mines installing now, but I think I like OpenELEC the best so far.
I installed it on Saturday, still takes forever to add things to the library, and I haven't really seen any appreciable difference in how well it runs.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
RaspBMC final handles iso files quite a bit better than OpenElec

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I haven't tried OpenElec but the one thing that turned me away from it when I looked at it was that it's not based on any distro and therefore doesn't have a repository of packages that you can install if you feel it is missing anything. Raspbmc and Xbian are Debian based so you can get all the debs you want.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peepsalot posted:

I haven't tried OpenElec but the one thing that turned me away from it when I looked at it was that it's not based on any distro and therefore doesn't have a repository of packages that you can install if you feel it is missing anything. Raspbmc and Xbian are Debian based so you can get all the debs you want.

What exactly are you planning on adding here? Even with OpenElec and the Revision B RaspPi I'm practically pegging out the CPU and Ram so I can't see myself adding too many programs to it.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Mega Shark posted:

Man it actually came on friday, but I missed the delivery :/ I really need to buy a doorbell.. Or maybe a raspberry pi controlled intercom? :D

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Gism0 posted:

Man it actually came on friday, but I missed the delivery :/ I really need to buy a doorbell.. Or maybe a raspberry pi controlled intercom? :D

You need it to share wiring with your obligatory whacky inventor breakfast Rube Goldberg machine, so you hit five buttons and after hitting yourself in the face with coffee and toast, you accidentally shoot the boxing glove at your friend at the door.

Seriously, though, it'd be kind of cool to set it up to push images to your phone of who is ringing your doorbell.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

For those really inclined to play games on their Pi, Minecraft Pi got released today.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

After trying Raspbmc for few days I decided to check Openelec yesterday and now I regret that I haven't done it earlier. The only aspect where Openelec somewhat lacks compared to Raspbmc is image file and SD card preparation.

First I realized that Openelec has built-in realtek wireless drivers and I don't have to apt-get, which was nice. Yes, Openelec does not have package repository, but I actually see it as an advantage for built-for-purpose system. Then I spent only 5min configuring wlan via SSH on Openelec vs 30min on Raspbmc and disconnected LAN after which is important for me since I don't have LAN socket near my TV. The concept of openelec xml configuration files vs oldschool "linux way" in raspbmc seems to be more user-friendly. Finally XBMC on openelec felt much more responsive, stable and less laggy and remote control from iphone was smoother.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I've just bought a wifi dongle for use with my Pi and, as much as I try, I can't get it to work. I remember reading that older Pi's (mine is one of the initial shipment) can't always power wifi dongles without using a USB hub, but newer Pi's have been changed so they're able to.

If I pick up a new Pi, am I likely to be able to get the wifi working without a powered hub?

iceslice
May 20, 2005
The list of compatible RPi devices has comments on if those NICs need outside power or not. The two I've bought are marked as "work fine without a USB hub" and do just that.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

YouTuber posted:

What exactly are you planning on adding here? Even with OpenElec and the Revision B RaspPi I'm practically pegging out the CPU and Ram so I can't see myself adding too many programs to it.
Does openelec have any kind of torrent management built-in?

iceslice
May 20, 2005

peepsalot posted:

Does openelec have any kind of torrent management built-in?

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#Where_can_I_download_transmission_for_RPi.3F

I think transmission is a torrent client.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Yea, its the default ubuntu torrent application.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Just got my Pi. Grabbing an OS image now, and then ONWARDS to finding a corg to plug it into my damned TV...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Exergy posted:

After trying Raspbmc for few days I decided to check Openelec yesterday and now I regret that I haven't done it earlier. The only aspect where Openelec somewhat lacks compared to Raspbmc is image file and SD card preparation.

First I realized that Openelec has built-in realtek wireless drivers and I don't have to apt-get, which was nice. Yes, Openelec does not have package repository, but I actually see it as an advantage for built-for-purpose system. Then I spent only 5min configuring wlan via SSH on Openelec vs 30min on Raspbmc and disconnected LAN after which is important for me since I don't have LAN socket near my TV. The concept of openelec xml configuration files vs oldschool "linux way" in raspbmc seems to be more user-friendly. Finally XBMC on openelec felt much more responsive, stable and less laggy and remote control from iphone was smoother.

Totally agree. I went with Raspbmc originally because it was a bit easier to set-up but now that I have OpenElec installed and my Raspberry Pi overclocked, it's a night and day difference. Raspbmc didn't hold a candle to my AD10 + OpenElec, Raspberry Pi + OpenElec is a great alternative, especially at the price.

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
So are there any places other than Ebay to find these things? They seem to be sold out everywhere right now :-\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rustybikes
Mar 12, 2004

Adafruit claims to have 'em: http://www.adafruit.com/products/998