Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Random Stranger posted:

I can only assume that you really hate your famicom if you're getting those games...

Before I even owned a Famicom proper I owned Takeshi no Chousenjo so, I mean, take that as you will. I personally wanted Gegege no Kitaro, Saint Seiya was kind of a toss-in, Dragon Ball is an amusing GCCX nod. Ninja Spirit is by far the best score I got, if somewhat pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
^ Takeshi no Chousenjo is a game I'd like to own proper. Even though I've never played it and it probably isn't the best.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Also as to not make an entirely pointless post: what is your guys' line for selling old games that you'll never touch again?

I just sold off the bulk of my retro collection. I figured it was unlikely that I'd hook up the Atari 5200/2600/7800 Ever again. Same goes for the Intellivision/Colecovision/Sega Saturn/ and N64. If you're not enjoying it, and you figure you're unlikely to play it in the near future(next 5 years), get rid of it. It's replaceable, and you can put the money toward something you'd rather have instead.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

There's a dreamcast s-video cable? How did I not know this?

Though, probably I should just splurge on vga
The S-Video plug was on my Dreamcast's regular RCA cable, so I guess there is one.

Edit: Good god that VGA box is cheap but shipping from the UK would tack on a lot...maybe if I have the cash one day I'll go for one.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Zeether posted:

Good god that VGA box is cheap but shipping from the UK would tack on a lot...maybe if I have the cash one day I'll go for one.

Along with an Agetec stick, it's the best investment you could make in your Dreamcast.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Ambitious Spider posted:

Though, probably I should just splurge on vga

Just make your own, man, it's easy. (if you are an electrical engineer)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

H1KE posted:

What's the best way to clean game / controller / circuit boards etc? I've noticed the SMS II has some gunk and furballs in it, both NES have dust fluff stuck to their boards and the GNG board in the cab has some dust and garbage on it I'd like to get rid of. I'm so scared of actually wiping anything on either of them though. I also need to de-yellow the SNES. It's almost completely piss yellow all over.

for dust/minor gunk, Isopropyl alcohol, a q-tip and some time.

For this project, the dishwasher (Remove every part that can trap water and don't use detergent)

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I finally went and made my own cover for my sd2snes.

Logos are hard to find in high res format, so I took a low res logo I found on a german forum and vectorized it.

It's a little plain, but I still have the psd, so I can fix that in the future.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

So despite me wielding a soldering iron I'm for the most part an electronics idiot. While repairing this NES advantage, I was playing with the micro switches that control the turbo on/off and the "slow" speed function and decided they were gunky and needed to be replaced (Also I accidentally ripped one apart when pulling it off the board).

So I'm gonna place a mouser order and need to know what to search for. They look like this:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=10SM002virtualkey12040000virtualkey10SM002

This might work, if not there are other kinds you can look through in the categories near the top. This is what I ordered for the receiver for the wireless controllers I'm building. They're less than a dollar a piece too so you can order several kinds without breaking the bank, and see which one works and fits best.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Them's pushbutton switches, though. Pretty sure they'll be DPDT switches, but don't quote me on that. You'll have to use a caliper to make sure the measurements are right, but this is along the right lines:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/GPBS-800L/CW177-ND/3190582

And here's a wider search: http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dkse...y=0&ptm=0&fid=0

I can be reasonably certain they're DPDT because it's a simple changeover circuit. But I'm still not sure how all that works, I haven't played with switches enough.

e: yeah I wasn't gonna post because I don't know all the details to make the right choice, but you also need to make sure it's an on-on type (not on-momentary) and if it were me I'd be checking the pinout to make sure it matches the datasheet of what I'm buying.

e2: Yeah I guess only DPDT switches have 6 contacts?? Sorry, my experience is limited to DIP switches which are SPST I think.

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Alicorn posted:

Just make your own, man, it's easy. (if you are an electrical engineer)

No, you're better off with that box as it has both S-Video and VGA outputs. Mainly because not every Dreamcast game will output to VGA (Something like 1/4 or 1/3rd of the library will just give a blank screen past startup, I think).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, you're better off with that box as it has both S-Video and VGA outputs. Mainly because not every Dreamcast game will output to VGA (Something like 1/4 or 1/3rd of the library will just give a blank screen past startup, I think).

The ratio is smaller than that, but yes... you will want a s-video cord for those games that you can't force into VGA (most of the SNK games as well as Bangai-O)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is the games that absolutely will not work with the VGA box:
NTSC versions of:
Dance Dance Revolution 2nd Mix
Dance Dance Revolution Club Version
Jikkyou Pawafuru Puro Yakyuu
King of Fighters Evolution (~) (Resets Dreamcast after startup)
Psycic Force 2012
Rune Caster
The Psychology Game
Treasure Strike

PAL versions of:
Aerowings (~) (The screen becomes overstretched horizontaly, with lines)
Bangai-O (~) (Boots to the 50/60hz selector screen, then black screen after)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (~) (Top half of screen only)
Plasma Sword (~) (Top half of screen only)
Railroad Tycoon 2 (~) (Occasionally it works but with effects like Aerowings)
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Sega World Wide Soccer 2000
Skies of Arcadia

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Install Gentoo posted:

NTSC versions of:
Psycic Force 2012
Rune Caster
The Psychology Game
Treasure Strike

PAL versions of:
Skies of Arcadia

It's definitely more than that... I have nearly every 3rd party boot disc and have tested them with my collection and have been shutdown on a handful of games that are not on that list.

[edit] It may be that I'm running VGA to a TV instead of a CRT monitor, which may be able to accept/display more things... but still, practically the list of games incompatible with VGA (native or otherwise) is larger than that list.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 4, 2013

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Install Gentoo posted:

NTSC versions of:
Psycic Force 2012
Rune Caster
The Psychology Game
Treasure Strike

PAL versions of:
Skies of Arcadia

Welp, good to know I never have to give a poo poo about that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zenintrude posted:

It's definitely more than that... I have nearly every 3rd party boot disc and have tested them with my collection and have been shutdown on a handful of games that are not on that list.

[edit] It may be that I'm running VGA to a TV instead of a CRT monitor, which may be able to accept/display more things... but still, practically the list of games incompatible with VGA (native or otherwise) is larger than that list.

Every game besides those is workable with this method:

Step 1 - Switch on the Dreamcast with the VGA box set to TV mode.
Step 2 - Listen to the Dreamcast intro screen. After it finishes playing the sound (when you stop hearing it), switch the VGA box to VGA mode.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah if you're going through the trouble of soldering to the pads under the DC video connector you can easily just put in 2 more wires for the S-Video and add a switch. Cheaper to buy the box if you don't already have a bunch of hobby EE stuff lying around though.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I guess getting a vga box for the dreamcast will be my next splurge. I've got a stack of dreamcast games that aren't going to play themselves and I might as well have them look their best.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Noooo, you bastards are going to drive up the price right around when I was finally going to get that VGA box for Ultimate Resident Evil 2 :mad:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Am I on or off the EE wagon? I don't know, but holy poo poo it routed on the first try!

It's been a long time since I've posted about this (kids/"real life"/etc), but why fiddle with wiring up an S-Video hack on your Genesis when you can just take the perfectly good RGB output out the back connector and convert it into component (YPbPr) with a custom-made conversion board? Oh, it's because you have to be a crazy person to do this.

Note that this will work on a genesis 1 or a genesis 2/3 and all you need to do is provide a Mini-DIN 8 (1) or 9 (2/3) cable and it plugs right in. It does need 5V though. I was thinking of stealing it from the Genesis itself (it puts +5 out the back too), but I don't have a ton of info about that line's current capacity and don't want to pull down the voltage accidentally. So there's a jack at the top. I should probably expose that through some test points too.

It seems like FreEagle will only do two-layer boards. So I get layer "1" and "16". Red is layer 1 (top) and blue is layer 16 (bottom). Note that a signal changes layers at a hole on the board. A "via" is an extra PTH (plated thru-hole) that the router drops down solely to provide a place to change layers. There are only a few of them. They make good test points, but so do the test terminals that I put down explicitly for that purpose. Also note that traditionally it is "good practice" to have each layer go generally N/S (the top in this case) or E/W (bottom).

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

HKR posted:

for dust/minor gunk, Isopropyl alcohol, a q-tip and some time.

For this project, the dishwasher (Remove every part that can trap water and don't use detergent)

Wicked. Cheers! :) I'll start with the iso and move up to the dishwasher if things don't work out. For the yellow SNES, it's so bad I might sand the bastard back and paint it. I always did want a Ford Blue SNES with white decals. ;)

And I sent off my ebay payment. Now I just have to sit and wait for insertweekshere. It's literally anywhere from around 2-6 weeks wait until the stuff arrives. Suppose that gives me more time to get my arse into gear and work on all these projects, before blowing more money on Famicom games. Or time to save up for a Twin Fam. :v:

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Antillese posted:

Component mod stuff

This is awesome, looks like you're close to production. Any idea what one of these will cost?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Not video game related, but certainly thread related, an old Trinitron commercial where John Cleese is basically us:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSPlEBbgP-A

Well I say "us" but I haven't got a Trinitron yet. :retrogames:

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Mace Bacon posted:

Not video game related, but certainly thread related, an old Trinitron commercial where John Cleese is basically us:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSPlEBbgP-A

Well I say "us" but I haven't got a Trinitron yet. :retrogames:

I assume that that commercial only works if you are watching it on a Trinitron. In which case you already have one and don't need to buy one. However if there's a difference when you're watching it on something other than a Trinitron then it just goes to show that your current TV is equivalent to a Trinitron and therefore you don't need to buy one.

This commercial makes no sense.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

JJJJJS posted:

I assume that that commercial only works if you are watching it on a Trinitron. In which case you already have one and don't need to buy one. However if there's a difference when you're watching it on something other than a Trinitron then it just goes to show that your current TV is equivalent to a Trinitron and therefore you don't need to buy one.

This commercial makes no sense.

Almost like showing the quality of DVD on VHS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSwJIrkviy0

In thread related news, I bought a Game & Watch, a cute lil Octopus model. :3: I'm gonna need to track down the Mark Frost who etched their name on the back though.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mace Bacon posted:

Almost like showing the quality of DVD on VHS

The sound is INFINITELY clearer.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
So I own The Game Handler (tm) for the NES. It's a pretty lovely controller, but came with a cool capsule container and an instructional VHS tape. For years, I've wanted to rip the tape and upload it to YouTube, but I just never bothered. Apparently, somebody else had the same idea a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VOd1frUaOg

Check out those radical graphics and awesome video game tips and tricks! One-handed gaming, long before Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball existed! :getin:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mercury Crusader posted:

So I own The Game Handler (tm) for the NES. It's a pretty lovely controller, but came with a cool capsule container and an instructional VHS tape. For years, I've wanted to rip the tape and upload it to YouTube, but I just never bothered. Apparently, somebody else had the same idea a year ago:

Check out those radical graphics and awesome video game tips and tricks! One-handed gaming, long before Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball existed! :getin:

Anyone else have Reboot flashbacks after the first 30 seconds?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

H1KE posted:

Just look at that fucker. I have never even known these existed, let alone know I could find something like this so cheap! I came across it and just sort of did a :stare: face. The wife even laughed and suggested I use it as my work case. 'How cool would that be?!' :j:

That thing is awesome and I want it bad, but it does not look like an Official Nintendo Licensed Product®; what with the terrible Engrish at the bottom and all. I believe there is an official one, though; but it's ridiculously expensive! Either way gut that thing and put your work papers in there and be the office hero.

Zeether posted:

I went back to the flea market today and got a new CRT for $5. First thing I did was test my Dreamcast on it, with S-Video because I forgot it output in that.

You can't tell from the picture (oh look, my reflection is there too), but the video quality is great. One of these days I'll hunt a VGA box down.

This is great but please don't waste money getting a VGA box for your Dreamcast to use on an SD CRT!

Silver Alicorn posted:

Hey guys, I did my first successful console mod!

Solder some ribbon cable to a Dreamcast motherboard and...

Presto! VGA port. I'm going to get a small PCB made @ OSH Park so I can make it more permanent. Which means I'll have 2 extra boards, so maybe I can mod yours too for a few :retrogames:.

I breadboarded it so I could test a theory - the VGA mod diagrams you'll find online say to use 220uf capacitors on the RGB lines, but they don't seem to really DO anything. I assume they're supposed to be some kind of filter, but you get really light vertical banding whether you use caps or just straight jumpers. The official VGA box has them though and I plan to put them in my final design. Also might try shielding the video wires somehow.

I'm also fixing up a Virtual Boy with busted LCD cables. I'm a bit less enthusiastic about that one though because it requires soldering on more durable ribbon cable and the pad spacing is .5mm, which is about the smallest pitch you can reasonably solder by hand. At least the thing makes sound when I put in a game pak!

I am assuming you followed MMMMMMMonkey's guide for this? I needed a few bucks so I sold my Dreamcast VGA adapter (I listed it at $10 and it went for $115 :stare: ) so I hope modding it for VGA ends up looking just as good as using the adapter.

Also literally every game that said it did not support VGA was able to be patched to run VGA with one exception in my entire collection: some South Park game.

H1KE posted:

I got a bit overexcited at finding a shitload of FDS games going for cheap, and sort of bid on the first one I saw:

I was able to make my FDS game collection look minty fresh and brand new by buying SEALED copies of that game for something ridiculously cheap, like $6 each. My Zelda 1 FDS looked like crap only because the plastic case (the bigger one that holds the manual and the game as well) was all yellowed. God bless that cheap game.

Also I think it is the first game Nobuo Uematsu ever made music for.

Code Jockey posted:

The cost of the belt is by far the smallest concern in fixing a FDS.

I still need to calibrate the read head in mine [the tiiiiiiny hex screw in the read head thing, adjusting that slowly till it starts reading disks again]. That, and disassembling the drive and cleaning the chunks of belt out of the drive after the belt phase-changed into something out of a horror movie was the worst.

I spent like $5 on my belt, but now that I know the pain in the rear end this is, I'm sending it off next time. :argh:

[I mean mine's a Twin Fami but the actual FDS is the same hardware]

I think someone probably answered this already but why hasn't someone made an FDS belt that isn't made out of something that melts easy? How has no one found a rubber band that is close enough in size to work on the thing?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Install Gentoo posted:

Every game besides those is workable with this method:

Step 1 - Switch on the Dreamcast with the VGA box set to TV mode.
Step 2 - Listen to the Dreamcast intro screen. After it finishes playing the sound (when you stop hearing it), switch the VGA box to VGA mode.

Incidentally this is the list of games that work with the VGA box with the switch method:

Games with a (*) next to them need the VGA 'Switch Trick' to get it to work on VGA, but work perfectly with it.
Games with a (~) next to them need the VGA 'Switch Trick' to get it to work on VGA, but have graphical glitches.

NTSC releases:
Bust a Move 4 (*)
Conflict Zone (*)
Dino Crisis (~)
Gunbird 2 (~) (Graphical glitches in the intro, and viewing gallery makes the image appear overstretched)
Hidden and Dangerous (*)
Hydro Thunder (*)
Hoyle Casino (*)

PAL releases:
Bust a Move 4 (*)
Cannon Spike (~)
Dino Crisis (~)
Gunbird 2 (~)

codenameFANGIO posted:

Noooo, you bastards are going to drive up the price right around when I was finally going to get that VGA box for Ultimate Resident Evil 2 :mad:

It looks like the price has already been driven up! I don't know, I think I have an extra one around so if I ever find it I'll probably offer it here for a more reasonable price than they seem to be going for now.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

This is great but please don't waste money getting a VGA box for your Dreamcast to use on an SD CRT!

Some SD CRTs take VGA input and it's the best input method available on them. :colbert:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Install Gentoo posted:

Some SD CRTs take VGA input and it's the best input method available on them. :colbert:

I thought he was gonna go all nuts and convert his VGA to component so it will work on his CRT. You may be correct but VGA on an SD CRT is insanely rare.

At my college they used to have these big rear end CRTs that had BNC and VGA inputs on them. They had the greatest image quality I had ever seen (I think Magnavox or Hitachi was the brand; I can't remember but it wasn't a very common TV brand). However, those weren't SD; but they weren't quite HD either. They were mostly for displaying computer images on them and for that they looked lovely (if you ever put your PC image onto an SD CRT you know how horrible it can look when trying to browse a website or something).

I stand by my argument that s-video compared to component/RGB/VGA on an SD CRT is so minimal that it's not worth the headache/extra money :colbert:

(Everyone must keep in mind though a lot of the s-video cables that are dirt cheap on eBay/Amazon are terrible quality and can sometimes look worse than composite believe it or not. Unfortunately, figuring out which ones are good quality is near-impossible).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

That's just awesome, but am I right in thinking there's not a scaler on it (looks like the only ICs are a buffer and a couple amps)? So, somebody using it would need a TV that could handle a component signal at 240p?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

I like how he starts to talk really fast when bringing up Starship Hector.

Edit: Oh god, "Zane-ac". He also picks up weapon 2 which is the worst weapon in the game because it causes the AI to basically poo poo on you.

I just remembered there's an old Power Glove video that's just as cheesy and stars some really overexcited kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd3-d7g0umE

Zeether fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 4, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Roar!!! Anyone know a decent place to get a turbo duo from that isn't $600? There's one on ebay at $350 but the thing is scratched to poo poo. If I'm going to drop that kind of money I want the R or RX as I hate recapping boards.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think there's one or two Japanese eBay sellers that regularly (like once a month) put an RGB-modded system up for grabs, usually for $200-$300 depending on what's included with the system. I'm all ears if there's a more consistent source though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I don't really care for RGB, my tv can't use it and I'm not investing the money on that. Mostly I just want a turbo duo because I've never had one. I did find one on ecrater with a spotty av port which sounds servicable but with shipping from Japan it's still $350

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

JJJJJS posted:

This is awesome, looks like you're close to production. Any idea what one of these will cost?

It's probably $40 in parts. The killers are the amps (3X) and the DC-DC which are all $4-5 each. Plus PCB. My time is obviously :airquote:free:airquote: since I'm even bothering to do this!

Kreeblah posted:

That's just awesome, but am I right in thinking there's not a scaler on it (looks like the only ICs are a buffer and a couple amps)? So, somebody using it would need a TV that could handle a component signal at 240p?

Yeah, so... there are somethings that are easy to do in analog, and some things that are hard. So all of your observations are correct. There's no scaler so your component input needs to understand 240p. Let's not bring that up again - it's going to be a huge pain in the rear end to test! (Good eyes though dude.)

Your buffer comment brings up a good point though too - I could probably eliminate the buffer and assume that it's buffered internally, but it's not exactly good practice and it won't be isolated if something isn't right.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
How many CD games on TG16 are really worth playing? There's a system w/ 4 controllers and the booster CIB (everything) for $250 from Chicago which I could pick up when I visit there this week. I'm half-tempted to just jump on that and say gently caress CDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

flyboi posted:

How many CD games on TG16 are really worth playing? There's a system w/ 4 controllers and the booster CIB (everything) for $250 from Chicago which I could pick up when I visit there this week. I'm half-tempted to just jump on that and say gently caress CDs
Quite a few. Dungeon Explorer 2 is great, Gate/Lords of Thunder, I think the Ys games are on CD as well. There's also a bunch of great Japan-only games like Spriggan, Nexzr, Star Parodier, Gradius II (which has a kickass intro sequence) and of course Rondo of Blood.

There are a lot of good HuCard games too but most of them are Japan only and you'll need a convertor because unlike CD games which are region free the HuCards are not.

• Locked thread