Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Just found a copy at Target. I had to ask the associate about it since it was in the back and he thought release was tomorrow. I told him the website said it was out today and he got it for me without hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Ugh. Called my local Target and was cheerfully told that yes! They do have copies of Awakening in stock! Also they're not allowed to sell it to me until Wednesday.

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. The guy I asked actually said a lot of other people tried to buy it also, which is probably a good thing for Nintendo.

On the other hand gently caress waiting a few days for retail stores to get their acts together. I just bought it on the eShop instead. I wanted a physical copy, but I'll just (poorly) draw a Fire Emblem logo on my SD card and call it even.

Rock Epidemic
Mar 17, 2001

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Ugh. Called my local Target and was cheerfully told that yes! They do have copies of Awakening in stock! Also they're not allowed to sell it to me until Wednesday.

From the sounds of things the guy literally had a copy in his hands but the register refused to let him ring it up. What the gently caress Target your website says it's released already. :mad:

drat! Sorry to hear that, mine took a little bit to find where they had the copies at, but they were more than happy to actually sell to me. I personally hoped that it wouldn't be that big of a deal to them.

Tipme posted:

I don't even know why I chose Classic when I reload everytime someone dies anyway. I should suck it up and play this like I played X-Com but...I can't. :negative:

Think of it as your path of the sword having a rewind function! But...I couldn't bring myself to stray from Classic either. Although, rather than people dying, I generally just can't bring myself to settle for a stream of bad levels. What do you mean Chrom and the Avatar only got 2 gains apiece!? :argh:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
haha first two levels for my Avatar (I think I did +skill -luck?) HP,Skill,Def. Definitely could be worse...OH WHATS THAT CHROM? HP Only, then HP/Def? Jackpot. Thanks Fire Emblem.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So, since I'm stuck waiting til tomorrow at the earliest, possibly Friday... how effective is a magic-based Avatar anyway? Do you need to move laterally with a Change Seal or does Tactician handle it well enough? Also, what'd a good Merit/Flaw combo be for that anyway?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was watching the stream and the guy was looking at a list of his characters. Some of them had died, but it said that Virion has "retired." What does that mean?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Haven't played the game, but maybe that's the term for "Killed but plot critical, so just heavily injured and unable to take the field again".

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

So, since I'm stuck waiting til tomorrow at the earliest, possibly Friday... how effective is a magic-based Avatar anyway? Do you need to move laterally with a Change Seal or does Tactician handle it well enough? Also, what'd a good Merit/Flaw combo be for that anyway?

My Grandmaster avatar has 31 Magic, and he's never not been in strategist/grandmaster. Non-anecdotally though, their magic and strength growths only differ by 5, and considering resistance is lower I pretty much never found a reason not to use magic. I hadn't even planned to have a magic avatar, it was just always the better choice.

I chose +Def/-Skl as my flaw, by the way, although it hasn't mattered much because skill has evened out to only be around 2 points lower then defense.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is there a single Fire Emblem game where the first flier you get isn't a terrible pegasus knight who takes a lot of careful planning to level up lest she die if someone even slightly coughs on her.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Is there a single Fire Emblem game where the first flier you get isn't a terrible pegasus knight who takes a lot of careful planning to level up lest she die if someone even slightly coughs on her.

Awakening :colbert:

Also I'm being serious, but if I were being more serious I'd say Catria in 12.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

FE12. Also, maybe FE11, but I barely played that game at all. My Sumia's been doing pretty well at wrecking things too, provided you Pair Up with someone like Kellum or Chrom.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Planning to stop by Target to try to get a copy after work, should I be ready to pull up a website and be like "nah man, it says it comes out today"?

Sgriosadair
Jan 4, 2013

SOINVLKSEQYTNVKDVI
PDENVOVMSLGVNVKOU
OIHGJHKHLVNOWOPJT
Does anyone have the swapnote stationary for FE:Awakening?

I have the urge to send stupid messages to my friends on it about the game....

5343-7665-6102

Dec 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Awakening :colbert:

Also I'm being serious, but if I were being more serious I'd say Catria in 12.

Yeah, catria is a beast from the word go.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I've got a female avatar and I'm thinking about getting with Chrom. Good idea or bad idea?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lareine posted:

I've got a female avatar and I'm thinking about getting with Chrom. Good idea or bad idea?

That pairing is mechanically optimal, especially on Lunatic, where it's extremely beneficial. Plus, pairing Avatar with Chrom or Lucina gives you a nifty scene later on you won't see otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lareine posted:

It's kind of limiting your special classes a bit. It'sc certainly not unworkable but more 'effective' to spread them out so you get more bang for your buck. On the other hand you get some extremely mechanically optimal characters from it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Have Frederick support her. Congrats, she's now a flying tank that one-rounds people.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well I paired her with Kellam and things are going much better now.

Endorph posted:

Have Frederick support her. Congrats, she's now a flying tank that one-rounds people.

I would do this if I cared to ever use Jagen's after I'm able to bench them for an eternity.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Well I paired her with Kellam and things are going much better now.

I would do this if I cared to ever use Jagen's after I'm able to bench them for an eternity.

You have really misread Frederick. He's only a Jagen in that he's pre-premoted. He will never not be a beast. His growths are giant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Frederick isn't really much of a Jeigan, though. Like his growths alone make him more of an Oifey but the Pair Up system makes him a very useful asset, even moreso than most other Jeigans/Oifeys, since he doesn't even take up any EXP in the process.

EDIT: v Yeah, but the same can be said of FE4 Oifey. Granted, Oifey didn't take up a deployment slot since there wasn't such a thing in FE4, but these games have Jeigans/Oifeys for a reason.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've actually found that Fred is closer to FE7 Marcus than to Seth or Titania. He's pretty much always going to be worse than the rest of your team once they start promoting.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh so he still gets nice stat boosts? Awesome, I'll throw him into a few fights then if he's that good.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Oh so he still gets nice stat boosts? Awesome, I'll throw him into a few fights then if he's that good.

Early on he's best used as a Pair Up partner. He imparts such large stat bonuses due to his higher stats (and his class) that he's worth keeping in the field for any newbies to lean on.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

cheetah7071 posted:

I've actually found that Fred is closer to FE7 Marcus than to Seth or Titania. He's pretty much always going to be worse than the rest of your team once they start promoting.
Given the way reclassing and pairing work, it's pretty easy to bring him up to speed once enemies are worth killing.

Also of note: Frederick has equal or higher growths in everything but Magic and Luck than the Avatar, to pick a random strong unit. His bases are pretty bad compared to when other people start promoting, but give him a few levels and he'll turn out pretty absurd!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

cheetah7071 posted:

That pairing is mechanically optimal, especially on Lunatic, where it's extremely beneficial. Plus, pairing Avatar with Chrom or Lucina gives you a nifty scene later on you won't see otherwise.

Is there a cutoff for getting S-Rank with the latter? Chrom is 11, of course, but is there a certain point you have to get with That Person to see this extra scene?

And as for "mechanically optimal", who's better for Chrom anyway, Sully or Sumia?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So if I get this right I can have as many A support conversations as I want, but only one S per pair of character, correct?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The thing about Fred is the one point where he isn't good is basically at caps, which are absurd as a factor in anything but uber-eugenics top-end DLC planning. There, his bad SPD cap hurts him. Everywhere else, he really couldn't begin to give a drat.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Are there any characters that are a waste of exp, especially early on? I don't want to get into a situation where a character looks good early on but steals all the kills and doesn't level up well and ends up being a detriment to the entire party.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lareine posted:

Are there any characters that are a waste of exp, especially early on? I don't want to get into a situation where a character looks good early on but steals all the kills and doesn't level up well and ends up being a detriment to the entire party.

Well, not really. You have infinite exp opportunities so if you have a map where you get a character with some non-optimal level ups, you can just do a side mission or a random battle or somtehing. The first DLC map is pretty good for training early on since the enemies are only like Level ~8ish.

EDIT: Growths in this game are probably the highest of the series with some possible exceptions, and since you can re-class and re-class over and over, you can seriously max every stat in the book. In a way it's more like Gaiden/Sacred Stones in the regard that you can grind infinitely.

EDIT2: Frederick could constitute a waste early on since you need your team up to speed but if you use him as backup in a Pair Up combo, you'll be fine.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 4, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

404GoonNotFound posted:

Is there a cutoff for getting S-Rank with the latter? Chrom is 11, of course, but is there a certain point you have to get with That Person to see this extra scene?

And as for "mechanically optimal", who's better for Chrom anyway, Sully or Sumia?

In-game, those two will be about equivalent. Sully will be a bit better I think? For postgame optimization Sumia will be better because she passes down pegasus knight.

To clarify, the reason Chrom/Avatar is so good on higher difficulties is because you by necessity lean on Avatar hard enough that she'll have learned Rally Spectrum in time for Chrom's child to inherit it and crybot fulltime without needing to do any paralogues.

The cutoff for seeing the scene is I think 23? That might not be right but it's not off by much.

e: correct skill name added

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 4, 2013

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
When are they going to give me some more Master and Second Seals? I'm on Chapter 8, and I have a few units I'd like to promote early (Chrom, Avatar, Sumia), but they've only given me one Master Seal, which I used on Lissa. The only Second Seal I've gotten was from the Renown Shop.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Has anybody mentioned how fantastic the battle banter is? I got Sumia psyching herself up to not tripping while attacking, and Kellam lamenting losing a kill to Miriel, "Another spotlight stolen :smith:"

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Quick, I'm on chapter 9 and the game is giving me a decision at the end of the map. If it pick matters, what's the correct choice? A simple yes or no will do.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lord Ephraim posted:

Quick, I'm on chapter 9 and the game is giving me a decision at the end of the map. If it pick matters, what's the correct choice? A simple yes or no will do.

Only affects dialogue, there is no right choice.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Mr. Trampoline posted:

When are they going to give me some more Master and Second Seals? I'm on Chapter 8, and I have a few units I'd like to promote early (Chrom, Avatar, Sumia), but they've only given me one Master Seal, which I used on Lissa. The only Second Seal I've gotten was from the Renown Shop.

You can start buying Master Seals after chapter 12.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Loving this game so far. I believe somebody's mentioned it in the thread before but I've forgotten: You don't miss out on anything if the allied unit in Paralogue 2 dies, do you? I got there in time to save the village but she bit it right before. Just one more dodge would have been enough, but I've been getting good levels in this run and don't want to restart the chapter if I don't have to.

Nakar posted:

Hey Lissa, please never stop gaining Strength. In fact, if you want to never get Magic I'm totally fine with that. Staves heal well enough as it is. Just keep bulking yourself up so I can have the best Axe Murderer Princess this side of anywhere.

Lissa's levels have sucked rear end for me. Bumming me out, not sure what I'm going to do with her and Miribelle as a result. My Cavaliers are excellent though, Stahl could use a bit more speed and Sully a little more defense but the two of them are my most valuable non-Chrom/Avatar characters so far.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Loving this game so far. I believe somebody's mentioned it in the thread before but I've forgotten: You don't miss out on anything if the allied unit in Paralogue 2 dies, do you? I got there in time to save the village but she bit it right before. Just one more dodge would have been enough, but I've been getting good levels in this run and don't want to restart the chapter if I don't have to.

No; you don't miss out on anything if she dies.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

Loving this game so far. I believe somebody's mentioned it in the thread before but I've forgotten: You don't miss out on anything if the allied unit in Paralogue 2 dies, do you? I got there in time to save the village but she bit it right before. Just one more dodge would have been enough, but I've been getting good levels in this run and

Lissa's levels have sucked rear end for me. Bumming me out, not sure what I'm going to do with her and Miribelle as a result. My Cavaliers are excellent though, Stahl could use a bit more speed and Sully a little more defense but the two of them are my most valuable non-Chrom/Avatar characters so far.

Whatup terrible Lissa buddy. Mine was terrible too, ended up using Maribelle. Who also sucks, and now I heal with concoctions while she rides shotgun with Ricken, who owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amazon still says this thing's coming tomorrow but it hasn't shipped yet. I sure hope they're not lying to me.

Also I don't care how good they are, using prepromoted units just isn't as fun as training up pitiful weaklings. I did it once with Seth in FE8 Hard because everyone is always raving about how amazing he is and it was super boring. Never again.

• Locked thread