Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Why are you not playing video games with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

KetTarma posted:

its k

after all

I'm not a nuke anymore :patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

every now and then I realize that I'm no longer a nuke and those emoticons describe my feelings on the matter perfectly

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Space Monster posted:

Seems to me that given the energy requirements of new weapons like FELs and Railguns that nuclear powered cruisers/destroyers would be ideal. Tell me why this ignorant goon is wrong.

I think they were originally talking about the Zumwalt being nuke powered, but the idea got scrapped for cost reasons. Basically FEL etc have very high peak energy demands but you're not firing them that often, meanwhile you're stuck with the nuke overhead costs the lifetime of the ship. And it's not particularly more easy or efficient (in the very short term) to get electricity from nuke power than it is from, say, a bigass gas turbine. Obv there are huge endurance advantages with a reactor vice something needing constant refueling but it does little good to have one or two high-endurance ships in an otherwise low-endurance battlegroup.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Third World Reggin posted:

Why are you not playing video games with me?

You know that my desktop overheated and died. My laptop finally succumbed to injuries sustained from numerous drops. I am down to my wife's old netbook. I've been trying to decide if I want to dip into my savings to get a new desktop or not. I've been so good about not doing that since I started college and I dont want to start now though.. but man it sucks not having a real computer.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

KetTarma posted:

You know that my desktop overheated and died. My laptop finally succumbed to injuries sustained from numerous drops. I am down to my wife's old netbook. I've been trying to decide if I want to dip into my savings to get a new desktop or not. I've been so good about not doing that since I started college and I dont want to start now though.. but man it sucks not having a real computer.

I just bought a pretty nice system from ibuypower. Still waiting for them to build the drat thing and ship it, but the price was p good. Give in to the dark side and upgrade, bro.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I built my own system from parts, after I built one for a friend of a friend. He wanted one of those "custom" pre-built systems from a site like ibuypower, and it was over three grand. I put together a similar system from newegg for a thousand less.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

After a bad browser update left me unable to watch Khan Academy and a mysterious force made my printer unable to print more than one page at a time, I decided to go over-budget and order some desktop parts. I've spent the past few weeks with nothing but a 2 year old netbook running a copy of Linux as my sole computing platform. It has not been fun or easy. I justify my purchase by saying that anything that keeps me from a) studying or b) doing homework is a Big Problem.

It was also a little depressing learning that DDR2 RAM isnt forward compatible, the AGP port doesn't exist in modern motherboards, and pretty much everything I used to know about computer parts picking is worthless. It was a fun little project at least even though I couldn't reuse most of what was left over from my old desktop from 2008.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I haven't built a computer for myself since about 2004. Been just using MacBooks since. :feelsgood:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

KetTarma posted:

It was also a little depressing learning that DDR2 RAM isnt forward compatible, the AGP port doesn't exist in modern motherboards, and pretty much everything I used to know about computer parts picking is worthless. It was a fun little project at least even though I couldn't reuse most of what was left over from my old desktop from 2008.
It's OK, that's all obsolete old crap anyhow. New computers are stupid easy to build. Remember when you had to manually assign IRQs and DMA with jumpers and dip switches on ISA cards, and if you had a conflict, the computer wouldn't boot? Ah, those were the days...

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

grover posted:

Remember when you had to manually assign IRQs and DMA with jumpers and dip switches on ISA cards, and if you had a conflict, the computer wouldn't boot? Ah, those were the days...
You mean the 90s? :v:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

grover posted:

It's OK, that's all obsolete old crap anyhow. New computers are stupid easy to build. Remember when you had to manually assign IRQs and DMA with jumpers and dip switches on ISA cards, and if you had a conflict, the computer wouldn't boot? Ah, those were the days...

You don't even have to assign master/slave jumpers to hard drive any more, and ensure that they're in the correct spot on the ribbon cable! Just jam in the thin SATA cable and power and you're ready to rock.

Also on AGP: Everything is PCIe now, which makes poo poo stupid simple

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

So I was talking to the operations manager at the factory I work at about how some of the guys have no idea what they're doing, and we ended talking about what nuke training was like. Which ended with him saying "Oh man, that sounds like the kind of system we should have here! You should head this up, it'll be great! Here, let me get you some stuff to read over so you can start designing this!"

Cons:
-just volunteered myself for something without realizing it
-more work
-I'm gonna be the rear end in a top hat who is more junior than the people he's training (:negative:)

Pros:
-SHITLOADS MORE MONEY, SON

I hate the fact that I feel like I might be the civilian version of "one of them," on the other hand, unlike the military which just excepts you to adopt them-ness with no reward, this comes with a nice pay increase.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

You have discovered the secret to success, post-nuke.

You'd be surprised at how little effort it will actually take to make huge improvements.

It really speaks to just how poor training programs are in many companies (even large ones), and one thing the nuclear navy does well is train for consistency and quality.

I made this realization when I introduced the concept of using a checklist to make sure key steps were not missed during plant shutdown. Bonus, promotion, the whole nine yards - but it was something that most nukes take for granted and don't attach particular value to. But corporate America does, and will pay handsomely for it.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
i applied to a nuclear plant and it felt really, really dirty :|

granted its an engineer position so i'd prolly just sit in an office but still

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Someone got masted yesterday for huffing compressed air. Reduction in rate and forfeiture of $850 per month for two months, as well as the usual restriction stuff.

Rad.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Huffing seems extremely common at NNPTC. Not sure why...

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

KetTarma posted:

Because nukes are dumb.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

KetTarma posted:

Because people think they wont get caught. Then they do it and think they are so clever because they found the perfect crime then tell all their bros about it.

Also this:

Noeland posted:

Because nukes are dumb.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

KetTarma posted:

Nerds love expensive computers. Nerds tend to sperg out. Spergs like things clean. Compressed air keeps computers clean. Nerds have compressed air. Compressed air can get you high. Nerds like to get high.

The perfect storm of nery, spergy, gettin' high idiocy.

Also, yeah nukes are dumb.

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost
It wouldn't be enough that he talked about it, would it? I figured he got caught in the act by his roommate or something.

The more I think about it though, I really don't want to know, cause the whole truth of it would probably be even dumber than anything I could imagine.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

My a-school class got half the people masted for an underage drinking ring, and my p-school class has like 6 people masted for a weed smoking ring. It's probably nothing more than "Hey guys check out what I did last weekend!" and getting overheard by someone else.

For a group of people that are supposed to be trusted with classified information, nukes are really bad at keeping secrets.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just thought I'd share this little nugget of wisdom from forums.military.com in a thread titled "Nuke life"

quote:

Put it this way, Nucs are more valuable than SEALS, and have a harder life.

How can you tell?

Nucs cannot go SEAL. SEALS can go Nuc.

The two fields are two sides of the same grueling coin. Both are metaphysical torture bouts. The only difference is that one side of the coin gets to splash around in the water. They both take a hell of a lot of smarts, drive, and iron will. And SEAL wannabes can ring a bell to get out of class. There is no bell in the Nuc pipeline. For both SEALS and Nucs, the only easy day is yesterday. It never ends. School to the fleet. Never lets up one iota.

Still, nobody respects a Nuc like they do someone who can kill you just by thinking about it.

Nucs have my respect. They are the SEAL Snipes.

It is a hard, hard path to take, and I can honestly tell you, I don't know if it is rewarding to be a nuc or not, because I never saw a happy one, ever.

Take that back, the day they give the SNOB belt buckle to the next guy and step off the boat, they are kinda happy.

If it is what you want, go for it. It is not a field for the stupid, driveless, or weak.

Good luck.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone who thinks nukes don't get to splash in water has never had to clean the bilge. Also heh sure there's no bell in the nuke pipeline but there is a fat stack of rainbow chits

They're not kidding about that feel when you hand over the SNOB buckle, though.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Deathy McDeath posted:

Just thought I'd share this little nugget of wisdom from forums.military.com in a thread titled "Nuke life"

whoa maybe grover was a nuke in his early years

also deathy why were you browsing those forums!!!!

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 19, 2013

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Anyone who thinks nukes don't get to splash in water has never had to clean the bilge. Also heh sure there's no bell in the nuke pipeline but there is a fat stack of rainbow chits

They're not kidding about that feel when you hand over the SNOB buckle, though.

Rainbow chits? You mean sadpanda forms.

Also, I think I'm going to find my "Alpha Crew BAMF" etched command belt buckle that my Lt gave me and wear it to school tomorrow.

If I can find it, that is. It's seriously the only award that I give a poo poo about :3

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I guess rainbow chits don't work any more. It was the method du jour when I went through. Sadpanda has that whole medical overhead to it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

It's fast and always works though.

"Doc, I think I'm going to hurt myself!"
Instantly gets a suicide watch while a van gets called up to take them to Palmetto Psych Ward. 48 hours of observation later, they're hand waxing passageways and picking up garbage in the marsh while waiting for transfer.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

genderstomper58 posted:

also deathy why were you browsing those forums!!!!

There was some talk about GT scores in another forum, and I was wondering if Nukes required higher than the 110 I usually see as the highest requirement. But I guess you guys use some weird system and not GT so its kinda moot.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

The way it was explained to me was your overall score had to be 90 or above to qualify. If you were <90 down to minimum of x, you could take the Nuclear Field Qualification Test to override your ASVAB. X in this case is equal to how badly theyre hurting for recruits.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I took the NFQT before the ASVAB.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

KetTarma posted:

The way it was explained to me was your overall score had to be 90 or above to qualify. If you were <90 down to minimum of x, you could take the Nuclear Field Qualification Test to override your ASVAB. X in this case is equal to how badly theyre hurting for recruits.

You add some of the line scores together, and if combined they're over X(I think when I joined it was like 252) you're in, if not you can take the NFQT. It typically works out to needing over a 90 to get in, but my old roommate had a 73 overall and didn't need to take the NFQT.(He was ESL so he bombed word knowledge, etc)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
This all may have changed, but when I went through in 2000 I'm p sure you had to take the NFQT to be a nuke. You didn't have to score all that well, though. Even the minimum ASVAB was a joke and you could get waivers, not quite down into cook territory but pretty low. The story went that once you were in boot camp they split the recruits by NFQT scores into 4 quartiles and each quartile got split up about 20/30/50% ET/EM/MM, so the stupid got spread around as evenly as possible.

The idea seemed to be, "get 'em into the pipeline and they'll get filtered out there" and of course each step of the pipeline said "we're a pump, not a filter"

camino
Feb 23, 2006
In '01 they had me take the ASVAB first, and then take the NFQT while I was waiting for the ASVAB score to come out. I did well on the ASVAB so they told me after the fact that I didn't need to take the NFQT.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

camino posted:

In '01 they had me take the ASVAB first, and then take the NFQT while I was waiting for the ASVAB score to come out. I did well on the ASVAB so they told me after the fact that I didn't need to take the NFQT.

nuke.txt

"we're gonna go ahead and do this now to save time"

2 days later

"that was a total waste of time"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Now that I've been out for just under a year I look back at my time as a member of the submarine nuclear navy and wonder at how my reckless decision to goto a concert while we were in drydock and consequential DUI resulted in me being so happy.

Good luck to all of you potential nukes still in the pipeline who are headed underseas. I wouldn't recommend it to very many people

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Now that I've been out for just under a year I look back at my time as a member of the submarine nuclear navy and wonder at how my reckless decision to goto a concert while we were in drydock and consequential DUI resulted in me being so happy.

Good luck to all of you potential nukes still in the pipeline who are headed underseas. I wouldn't recommend it to very many people

sup sub nuke dui pal

also i went to a slayer concert when we were on 14 hour days in drydock >:]

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

One of my prototype instructor friends got drugged at a bar, another friend took him home, he called the command and they told him to go to medical in the morning. He shows up, gets bloodwork done. It comes out that his BAC was greater than 0 still.

The command ZERO TOLERANCE AT WORK policy kicks in and the captain wants to NJP him for something. Eventually, the captain decides to just pull his instructor NEC and send him back to sea. The detailer is told to poo poo on him and gives him sub out of Guam. Friend is doing his sea duty screening when they ask him if he ever gets migraines. He says yes and they have him do some tests.

It turns out he has a neurological disorder called cluster migraines. He is at high risk of having a stroke and is not eligible for sea duty for the rest of his life. They end up transferring him to Groton instead to do a squadron desk-job while they figure out what to do with him. While transferring, he finds out that he made chief.

He shows up in Groton and basically has no job to do and sits in limbo for TWO YEARS while the Navy decides what to do with him. Since he's a nuke that will never be sent to sea and he was kicked out of prototype (can never go to NPTU or NNPTC) they decide to outprocess him. He ended up with 70% VA disability rating and a medical retirement as an E7. All because a CO decided to try to gently caress him over being on site after getting drugged at a bar.

How did I find out about this? I saw him when I walked into my chemistry class. :3

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

genderstomper58 posted:

sup sub nuke dui pal

also i went to a slayer concert when we were on 14 hour days in drydock >:]

Galactic concert after two months of no days off with three section duty days, port and starboard SRO.

I had bought the tickets when we were full three section with weekends being duty section only, but for whatever reason after we went solid every day became a working day, even after plant conditions became static.

Best concert I ever went to. God bless Jackrabbits and the florida state highway patrol :siren: :siren: :siren:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Galactic concert after two months of no days off with three section duty days, port and starboard SRO.

I had bought the tickets when we were full three section with weekends being duty section only, but for whatever reason after we went solid every day became a working day, even after plant conditions became static.

Best concert I ever went to. God bless Jackrabbits and the florida state highway patrol :siren: :siren: :siren:

haha, i just remember the next day during turnover briefing (we were doing a dual media discharge) I was deaf as poo poo and couldn't hear the brief @ all so just winged it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactor/

Yeah dude. When I was EAOSing, I had a huge spreadsheet that I made up with distances, commute times, everything. I ended up with only 10 places that I'd want to apply to and none of them were hiring at the moment.

I'm not trying to start beef but I wanted him to know that if you have your heart set on living in a specific region or state, it wasn't as good of a choice as a more generalized discipline.

If you want, come hang out in this thread since its more relevant and Im sure more ex-nukes can talk than just me and moker:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3283345

Yeah I agree that nuclear engineering is a bit too narrow for me and a lot of people, but those specialized engineers(like nuke, petroleum) get paid a shitload out of the gate and they don't look to be making a downturn any time soon. I went with ME because I knew it was a very broad field with tons of opportunities in different fields.

I applied to Comanche Peak though, which is like 50 miles outside of Dallas and would work just fine for me. If you're dead set on living somewhere nuclear is definitely a real bad idea, I agree with that for sure.

• Locked thread