Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Let us know how that works because it looks perfect for my car.

Trip report for my Griffin BlueTrip: It was returned to Amazon for a full refund. I had a couple of problems with it.

1. I had to really crank up the stereo to get the same volume as I had before. Stereo goes from 0-30. When I was using a male to male aux cable, I could comfortably listen to podcasts at 10-12 volume at highway speeds. With the BlueTrip, I was cranking it to 20-22 to get the same levels. I could have lived with this.

2. There was a blue light that would blink on the BlueTrip letting you know it was on and paired every 15 seconds or so. The problem I had was when this blue light was on, my audio would make a popping sound. This developed after about a week of use.

3. I read reviews of the built-in mic, and knew that it wasn't that great. However, the few times I tried to use it, it was absolute garbage even when I tried to use it while in a parking lot.

For $60, I wasn't very impressed. For $100-125, I can get a head unit that has built in Bluetooth/Pandora support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Walked posted:

Is there a particularly good SSH client that people like?

So far zaTelnet is working decently enough but gently caress me I cant stand the interface at all. Anything better?

My price range was free apps only cause I barely have need to sash from my phone for nothing but personal stuff. Anyway, I stumbled upon this one http://appshopper.com/utilities/server-auditor

ZaTelnet was kind of cool when I first grabbed it a couple years ago but I think they turned the free version everyone had into what you are seeing. It got worse instead of better

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
What is the current best app to stream video (mkv, avi, etc) from an external computer with an hd to the iPad? Right now I'm using AirVideo because Plex refuses to work due to an unknown problem.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Billa posted:

What is the current best app to stream video (mkv, avi, etc) from an external computer with an hd to the iPad? Right now I'm using AirVideo because Plex refuses to work due to an unknown problem.

I may be incorrect but I always figured AirVideo was considered the best. Is there anything wrong with your current setup?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

Prompt is the best terminal by far

Went ahead and bought this.

Holy poo poo its stellar. Thank you.

Between Prompt and Jump Desktop I can almost entirely do my job via phone.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

bazaar apparatus posted:

I may be incorrect but I always figured AirVideo was considered the best. Is there anything wrong with your current setup?

Actually not, but I was asking in case I was skipping something.

Thanks!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Picked up an iPhone 5 last night, and it's good to be back :allears: Was on a One X before.

Tweetbot is absolutely fantastic. I don't know why I never picked it up before. Are there any other must-have apps I've missed in the ~year or so I've had Android? My last iPhone was the 4. I've picked up Google Maps and Gmail. I am an avid LevelUp user but am sad to see it doesn't support Passbook yet :(

What's the go-to barcode/QR scanning app? It looks like Bakodo's been abandoned.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kazy posted:

What's the go-to barcode/QR scanning app? It looks like Bakodo's been abandoned.

Red Laser for me

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does tweetbot sync where you are in your feed between iPad/iPhone?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

EC posted:

Does tweetbot sync where you are in your feed between iPad/iPhone?

Yes. You can actually choose to use Tweetmarker or iCloud to sync your place.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

hypersleep posted:

Yes. You can actually choose to use Tweetmarker or iCloud to sync your place.

Then it is time to ditch the official twitter app. :)

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

EC posted:

Then it is time to ditch the official twitter app. :)

I'm baffled that Twitter hasn't implemented their own syncing function for the official app. Once you follow even just a few heavy tweeters, losing your place in your stream becomes a regular occurrence.

Then again, I think Twitter wants you to focus on what people are tweeting right now, instead of scrolling back to see "old stuff," even if that old stuff is only a few hours old. ADHD generation, for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, frequent checks are exactly what twitter wants you to do because they slip in an advertisement third from the top almost every time you load a new batch of tweets.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

Not sure if Prompt can do this, but iSSH can also serve as a VNC/RDP client in a pinch.
I haven't checked if Prompt has the functionality, but one cool thing iSSH could do was open tunnels for whatever ports and keep them open in the background, granted just for 10 minutes (i.e. the background limit) but it could also pop a notification before it ran out of time so you could switch back to renew the timer. Kind of a really niche specific use thing, but if you need tunneling for something it's pretty nice to have.

Billa posted:

There's a crapload now so I don't know what's out there, but I've been using StreamToMe for a while now after switching from AirVideo. Main things it had over AV (last I used it) was music streaming sort of ghetto photo viewing (using the iTunes and iPhoto libraries to find stuff), better file sorting, and searching. Also has some kind of nifty remote feature if you have multiple iOS devices, you can play on one device and have limited control from another (play/pause, skip x second intervals, skip tracks). And a Mac client if you have a remote Mac to view with I guess.

What it doesn't have is the batch encoding feature and I think better on screen controls. But as mentioned if there's nothing wrong with AV just keep using it. If you have a particular need/want it's not addressing, then look into the others.

hypersleep posted:

I'm baffled that Twitter hasn't implemented their own syncing function for the official app. Once you follow even just a few heavy tweeters, losing your place in your stream becomes a regular occurrence.

Then again, I think Twitter wants you to focus on what people are tweeting right now, instead of scrolling back to see "old stuff," even if that old stuff is only a few hours old. ADHD generation, for sure.
I'm not entirely sure Twitter knows what to do with their apps anymore to begin with.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I used to use Air Playit for streaming videos. It's fast, lightweight, the ios app is quick and I like its file browser.

Ever since I paid for Splashtop, however, I just use that to play videos right on my PC. The video and audio quality is near perfect and I don't need to gently caress around with codecs or conversions.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Zigmidge posted:

I used to use Air Playit for streaming videos. It's fast, lightweight, the ios app is quick and I like its file browser.

Ever since I paid for Splashtop, however, I just use that to play videos right on my PC. The video and audio quality is near perfect and I don't need to gently caress around with codecs or conversions.

I use Its Playing, but haven't updated the app since November. They removed some codecs. Since new users won't get all of the codecs, I second the Splashtop recommendation.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Sheriff posted:

Could anyone recommend a flash card app that works well on the iPhone 5? I've always memorized stuff best with flash cards but I'm tired of carrying them around everywhere.

Feature-wise, I'm not too picky. Something that allows for different decks is the only must. It'll probably be used mostly with text but I could see supporting photos coming in handy. I don't really need it to sync with anything, I'll be doing almost all my studying on the phone. I also don't mind paying for quality, but everything equal I'd obviously prefer something free.

Been a user of Flashcards Deluxe for like... at least 3 years now. There's a free version as well, not sure what the differences are, I think it just limits your number of decks. Seriously, it owns, customization out the wazoo.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any app similar to Aldiko on Android? It's like iBooks except it tracks and displays book meta data, so when I transfer a file from Dropbox it gets imported as a particular book with a précis and author info and stuff like that, instead of just a file name.

Also, any google drive/Dropbox 3rd party apps, because the official ones are terrible.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I'm looking for a speech to text+a text to speech app. I know there's already a bunch but none that I've found does both in one app. I'd prefer to not have to switch apps if necessary.

I'd like a speech to text app that will work without a data/wifi connection too. I don't mind if it doesn't have text to speech too. The ones I tried out all require me to be online. I don't care if it's terrible compared to stuff like Dragon but it would be nice to have in a pinch.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So I recently made the switch from Android to iPhone and apart from missing a few things from Android, I'm really not looking back much at all.

However, two things that I really don't like are the sound management and the alarm clock. Are there preferred apps for managing these things or am I out of luck?

Oh and dropbox sucks on iOS. The android version is something special. Don't ever have to worry about the last time it uploaded my most recent pictures. Always got them right away as soon as I connected to wifi.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
What don't you like about the sound management and alarm clock?

For alarm clock apps, you have to leave them active (though you can lock the screen) for them to function fully.

As for sound management, anything too in-depth and you'll possibly need to jailbreak, which isn't too bad since the 6.1 jailbreak just came out a few days ago.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

My media volume is constantly resetting to full volume. I like having sound profiles for night/weekday/weekend volume.

I can't edit my alarms. I have to make new alarms if I want something different. My job requires that I have a flex schedule and as such I would end up with 20 different alarms.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

rotaryfun posted:

My media volume is constantly resetting to full volume. I like having sound profiles for night/weekday/weekend volume.

I can't edit my alarms. I have to make new alarms if I want something different. My job requires that I have a flex schedule and as such I would end up with 20 different alarms.
Unfortunately you can't do time profiles (other than daily Do Not Disturb times) without a jailbreak. As for the media volume constantly resetting, that's strange. Have you tried restoring your phone and seeing if it's still happening?

In what way can you not edit your alarms? On the Alarm screen, on the top-left there should be an Edit button which brings up little red circles to delete the alarms, but you can tap on the time to edit the alarm time, sound, recurrence, etc.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rotaryfun posted:

Use Siri for alarms. Unless you set a recurring alarm, the alarm will turn off once it goes off. So just set an alarm for when you need one as the need comes up. If there isn't one, Siri will create one. If there is Siri will turn it on again. That said, you can edit and sort your alarms manually, but I find it easier to just have a base of recurring alarms for weekdays and weekends and everything else I turn on/off with Siri as needed.

iOS is limited in some aspects compared to android. The best thing you can do is adapt to how thing are rather than to try to get iOS to do something it doesn't.

(That said, iOS 7.0 better have profiles because god drat)

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

Unfortunately you can't do time profiles (other than daily Do Not Disturb times) without a jailbreak. As for the media volume constantly resetting, that's strange. Have you tried restoring your phone and seeing if it's still happening?

In what way can you not edit your alarms? On the Alarm screen, on the top-left there should be an Edit button which brings up little red circles to delete the alarms, but you can tap on the time to edit the alarm time, sound, recurrence, etc.

I haven't tried resetting. It hasn't bothered me enough that I'd want to do that.

Now see, that's good information. I didn't realize I could click on the time after hitting edit to change the settings. Thought I could only delete the alarm. After going and looking, I don't know why it wasn't apparent to me that I could though, because there clearly is an arrow pointing right showing that I could do so.

quote:

Use Siri for alarms. Unless you set a recurring alarm, the alarm will turn off once it goes off. So just set an alarm for when you need one as the need comes up. If there isn't one, Siri will create one. If there is Siri will turn it on again. That said, you can edit and sort your alarms manually, but I find it easier to just have a base of recurring alarms for weekdays and weekends and everything else I turn on/off with Siri as needed.

That's a great idea. I'm actually yet to use Siri. But seems like a nice use of it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

rotaryfun posted:

Now see, that's good information. I didn't realize I could click on the time after hitting edit to change the settings. Thought I could only delete the alarm. After going and looking, I don't know why it wasn't apparent to me that I could though, because there clearly is an arrow pointing right showing that I could do so.
So long as you're getting used to iOS features, when you have the keyboard up, hold your finger on any character that might be accented or have alternate forums (e.g. elipses, degree signs, etc) and enjoy access to way more characters that are visible. This also works on the ".com" button on iPads for ".org", ".net", etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Siri is actually a Useful Tool(tm). I'm not constantly chatting at my phone but it's been months since I've felt any need to look at the screen while I'm in the car. I can actually choose songs/playlists while moving instead of waiting for a stop light!

About the only thing Siri doesn't do that I wish it could is rate songs.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I plan on getting an iPhone as my next phone, but I always forget about Siri on my iPad mini. I've been using an alarm app on my phone while I'm on the couch for cooking times or something but thanks to these last few posts I can easily set alarms by talking :woop:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Siri is perfect for setting reminders when I'm pretty vague on when I want reminded. "Tomorrow afternoon" or "in around half an hour" are perfectly valid times to set reminders for.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Siri is perfect for setting reminders when I'm pretty vague on when I want reminded. "Tomorrow afternoon" or "in around half an hour" are perfectly valid times to set reminders for.

I use reminders for just about everything, especially geo-fenced reminders. "When I leave here", "When I get to work", "When I'm home" are very drat useful. There's even some neat hidden functionality to some of them. Like "remind me to call X when I leave work". The reminder will automatically call X when you address the notification for it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else found that since the most recent update to TweetBot (iPad & iPhone) it always starts you off WAY down your page of tweets? Mine just refuses to start anywhere but 3 days ago.

I've rebooted. I've killed & restarted the app. Anyone else?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Speaking of tweetbot I thought it was supposed to sync between my various devices. It never seems to. Do you have to click something or whatever?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FishBulb posted:

Speaking of tweetbot I thought it was supposed to sync between my various devices. It never seems to. Do you have to click something or whatever?

Do you have them all set up for iCloud syncing? I think there is another service you can choose too but I just use iCloud. Works great.

It's in the settings under Account Settings -> Services -> Sync

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
So a great big paragraph of nothing… thanks Twitter

I'm really happy with Tweetbot still so it's no skin off my teeth :shrug:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tomato Soup posted:

I'm looking for a speech to text+a text to speech app. I know there's already a bunch but none that I've found does both in one app. I'd prefer to not have to switch apps if necessary.

I'd like a speech to text app that will work without a data/wifi connection too. I don't mind if it doesn't have text to speech too. The ones I tried out all require me to be online. I don't care if it's terrible compared to stuff like Dragon but it would be nice to have in a pinch.
I think Dragon Dictate and Dragon Go are offline speech recognition apps that work offline. Text to speech is built in since ios 5: settings, general, accessibility, enable speak selection. Then whenever you long-touch and select text you'll have a speak option in addition to cut/copy/paste.

randyest fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 6, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

priznat posted:

Do you have them all set up for iCloud syncing? I think there is another service you can choose too but I just use iCloud. Works great.

It's in the settings under Account Settings -> Services -> Sync

Both my iPad and my iPhone 5 (both 6.1) are on the same version (latest? 2.7.1) of Tweetbot, and my iPad has a Sync option for iCloud. My iPhone 5 just physically does not even have that checkbox there at all...

What gives?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
You don't see this?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Feenix posted:

Both my iPad and my iPhone 5 (both 6.1) are on the same version (latest? 2.7.1) of Tweetbot, and my iPad has a Sync option for iCloud. My iPhone 5 just physically does not even have that checkbox there at all...

What gives?

Delete Tweebot on both devices. Then redownload them, and set them both to sync via either Tweet Marker or iCloud. It should then, "just work".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

You don't see this?

iPad: yes. iPhone: no.

Gonna reinstall.

[edit]
Nope: Still not there after reinstall on iPhone.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Feenix posted:

iPad: yes. iPhone: no.

Gonna reinstall.

[edit]
Nope: Still not there after reinstall on iPhone.

And you're going to accounts and settings, selecting your account at the bottom and then looking for the sync listing?

• Locked thread