Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Piece
Jul 30, 2011

~*wonk*~
Can any goons recommend any tips or tricks to getting decent loot in this game?

I'm playing as a level 26 Gunzerker and I'm enjoying the game but loot seems excessively lovely. This might be because I have no DLC's, i'm not at the level cap or something like that. But surely it can't be right that the only mob that's ever dropped a purple for me was the Bunker.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Two Piece posted:

I'm playing as a level 26 Gunzerker and I'm enjoying the game but loot seems excessively lovely. This might be because I have no DLC's, i'm not at the level cap or something like that. But surely it can't be right that the only mob that's ever dropped a purple for me was the Bunker.

Any advice?

Gibbed's save editor if you want to just mod a couple into your save file, Cheat Engine if you want to tweak the drop rates. Oranges just don't really drop in this game, sorry. Working as intended according to multiple dev/message board comments.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I started using Cheat Engine to fiddle with the drop rates after my first playthrough and I haven't looked back. The only orange I received previous to that was the firehawk shield -- the next playthrough I probably got 15-20. It does unbalance the game a bit (especially non-TVHM) but it feels appropriate to be a bit of a badass in this game. I use 200/100/75/50/25/10/5 for values myself. You could probably put Legendary to 1 if you're worried about balance that much. I mostly only use gibbed's save editor to sync some of my favourite guns to my current level.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I play solo exclusively so this probably wouldn’t affect me, but do Gearbox have a track record for any kind of punishment for people modding the game via Cheatengine or Gibbed’s editor? I know that the game auto-corrects ‘illegal’ guns, but I’m curious if there are any big no-nos, even for solo players.

I’m currently getting my 2nd character to lvl 50, and was going to copy the save file to make lvl 50 versions of other classes, the idea being to have a ‘perfect’ endgame save to allow me to complete any worthwhile quests at lvl 50 with each class. It'll be fun to mess with all the crazy guns available, even if I've done ok with Legendaries. I'll also change my lvl 48 DP Harold to 50, since I assumed the Torgue vending machines were deliberately set lower to offset their availability!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Metalshark posted:

I play solo exclusively so this probably wouldn’t affect me, but do Gearbox have a track record for any kind of punishment for people modding the game via Cheatengine or Gibbed’s editor? I know that the game auto-corrects ‘illegal’ guns, but I’m curious if there are any big no-nos, even for solo players.

I’m currently getting my 2nd character to lvl 50, and was going to copy the save file to make lvl 50 versions of other classes, the idea being to have a ‘perfect’ endgame save to allow me to complete any worthwhile quests at lvl 50 with each class. It'll be fun to mess with all the crazy guns available, even if I've done ok with Legendaries. I'll also change my lvl 48 DP Harold to 50, since I assumed the Torgue vending machines were deliberately set lower to offset their availability!

If you go online with a weapon that has illegal parts (parts that it shouldn't ever have, gotten through hacking), they will be deleted. That's it. Aside from that you can go hog wild and never have to worry about getting busted. I myself used CE to bump Torgue machine weapons up to 50 from 48 because it was an admitted bug, which has since been fixed.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Two Piece posted:

If you don't want to cheat, you should farm Lynchwood. It caps out at 30 in normal mode and has several chests and porta potties. I did like 4-5 rounds of farming and came out with great Xp and some sweet loot. And when you finsih the Skag quest line there it spawns a boss that also tends to drop neat stuff.

So I just finished Pt1 and beat the boss on the first try. I liked the fight for what it was, though it could have been a bit more varied. Overall, it was a pretty cool game. Some weird design decisions and a scaling gap rained on my parade, but it was still good.

As I understood it, I now should switch to TVHM and do a second run where I don't pick the quests with unique rewards so I can take them at Lv50, right?

In any case, I would be up for some teamwork on TVHM.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Two Piece posted:

Any advice?

Switching to multiplayer really made it rain loot for me. My PT1 was solo and I didn't see a single orange, but playing with 2 friends we saw 4 or 5, and purples like crazy, even before we finished.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Two Piece posted:

Any advice?

Other than gritting your teeth and farming certain bosses for legendaries for several hours or using save editor/cheat engine, there are several enemies that will always drop several blues and purples if you want to farm them. I'd recommend BNK-3R, Warrior, and Vermivorous the Invincible (only spawns in TVHM though). Also if you can get some God-liaths (Defend Slab Tower is a good quest to fail and try again for this purpose) they seem to always drop a blue or purple.

Sadly yes, it's going to be whites and greens all the way, especially in single player. There are some uniques that you would want to keep (Buffalo, Lady Fist, Sand Hawk, etc.) but the game is notoriously stingy with good loot.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Two Piece posted:

I've played through four characters and only seen two legendary items, last one was level 9! Logans gun.
For Goliaths i'd recommend the area in the dust where you do the loggins mission steal their balls and burn their net.
They level with you so you won't get underpowered gear.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Does anyone know if they fixed the waypoint in Leviathan's Lair? On my Zero I could not start in that room and I always got sent back to the beginning of Oasis, but my Gunzerker gets started there consistently now.

Two Piece posted:

Any advice?

As suggested, get cheat engine and the Borderlands 2 cheat table from their site. The numbers below are from the item rarity drop mod addresses

As has been said before, the drop rates in this game are set like an MMORPG. The weighting of drops is:
-200 for very common - white
-100 for common - Green
-10 for Uncommon - Blue
-5 for Uncommoner - Purple?
-1 for Rare - Purple?
-0.1000000015 for very Rare - E-Tech/Magenta
-0.00999999978 For legendary - Orange

At these numbers you may see 2 legendaries and 2 E-tech guns per character from start to TVHM outside of side-quest and mission rewards.

I tend to set them as the following to make it more like Borderlands 1:

-100 for very common - white
-100 for common - Green
-40 for Uncommon - Blue
-30 for Uncommoner - Purple?
-20 for Rare - Purple?
-10 for very Rare - E-Tech/Magenta
-5 For legendary - Orange

I now see a legendary in 1 out of 10 red-chests and an E-tech in 1 out of 5 chests, but normal enemies can now actually drop blues instead of just whites and greens. Badasses can now drop purples 1 out of 3 kills.

If you want to be legit, you can farm green and red chests for days on end but the best you'll get is the occasional purple and E-tech unless you get the Captain Scarlet DLC and farm the leviathan treasure room using the glitch

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Aren't the drop rates weighted differently in MP too?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mastersord posted:

If you want to be legit, you can farm green and red chests for days on end but the best you'll get is the occasional purple and E-tech unless you get the Captain Scarlet DLC and farm the leviathan treasure room using the glitch

This is overly pessimistic, with pretty reasonable chest farming, I've gotten six or seven legendaries in a day or so, plus some very nice E-techs, including a 9.2 ROF Moloko.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'm a level 39 mechromancer in the Tundra Express and I seem to have hit a roadblock. The only quests I have are level 38 and all in Tundra Express, but the entire zone is kicking my rear end. I've opened a few golden chests hoping to get some amazing weapons but alas I haven't gotten anything that let's me steamroll like I used to. I've got that fantastic gun that lies to you about it's stats that I've been using since 27. It's still absolutely fantastic but only with 200+ stacks of anarchy. I guess my question is, is there anything I can do to level up some more before I revisit these quests?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Hi, welcome to the exopential damage part of the game. Pick up a white or a green gun to hold you over for a couple of levels when you replace it with another white or green gun that does three times the damage.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

SMP posted:

I'm a level 39 mechromancer in the Tundra Express and I seem to have hit a roadblock. The only quests I have are level 38 and all in Tundra Express, but the entire zone is kicking my rear end. I've opened a few golden chests hoping to get some amazing weapons but alas I haven't gotten anything that let's me steamroll like I used to. I've got that fantastic gun that lies to you about it's stats that I've been using since 27. It's still absolutely fantastic but only with 200+ stacks of anarchy. I guess my question is, is there anything I can do to level up some more before I revisit these quests?

A good place to visit would be "Southpaw Steam and Power" which should be around level 35-36. There's a quest for that area called "Assassinate the Assassins" which rewards green items so you don't have to worry about waiting to do it later. The 4 bosses in that area all drop decent red text weapons (Dog, Commerce, Fremington's Edge, and Judge) and also the legendary Emperor. There's a challenge to kill all 4 bosses in 10 minutes which is pretty doable. It's quick, densely packed, and has some decent loot. You could easily gain a level in 2-3 runs. If you want some good guns that are easy to acquire you can also look for Gwen's Head and the Lascaux. You can look up their locations on http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Borderlands_Wiki

All of the weapons I mentioned above, the Lascaux especially, hit above their weight and should last you until 40. If none of that helps then you might want to consider trying a different build which can drastically alter how you character plays.

Edit: according to this article you should be able to pick up a Tinderbox in Tundra Express as well even though I've never seen it drop where they claim: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Flynt%27s_Tinderbox

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 6, 2013

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe gearbox is already starting to bundle and sell their DLCs without even finishing up season 1. Randy's crack habit comes first, I guess.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I didn't know the bosses from Assassinate the Assassins respawned, is that true for every other quest too? I finished every quest I've seen up to this point.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

drat near every boss in the game respawns.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

RVWinkle posted:

Edit: according to this article you should be able to pick up a Tinderbox in Tundra Express as well even though I've never seen it drop where they claim: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Flynt%27s_Tinderbox

It only shows up there if you have that specific quest active and you don't have a fire element weapon.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

SMP posted:

I didn't know the bosses from Assassinate the Assassins respawned, is that true for every other quest too? I finished every quest I've seen up to this point.

Yep, once you clear an area, you can exit the game and bosses will appear again, but you have to travel back to the place first. Once you fight the boss again, just pick up the loot and exit the game and you'll appear at the last checkpoint for easy farming.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

GTJustin posted:

Yep, once you clear an area, you can exit the game and bosses will appear again, but you have to travel back to the place first. Once you fight the boss again, just pick up the loot and exit the game and you'll appear at the last checkpoint for easy farming.

A lot of times, if the boss is quest-related, you'll also need to turn the quest in before the boss will start respawning.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

UnknownMercenary posted:

It only shows up there if you have that specific quest active and you don't have a fire element weapon.

I think it shows up so long as you have the quest active, but regardless of whether or not you have a fire element weapon. I've blasted that snowman on the last few playthroughs and have found a Tinderbox, despite having a bunch of fire element weapons on me, already.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

This may be a dumb question, but when I do PT2 can I keep some of my gear? Like stuff it in the bank in Pt1?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, you keep everything in your inventory and bank. (though in TVHM prepare to instantly sell all that crap)

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What's the best way to play with goons? I've never played co-op in this game and I feel like I'm missing out. I've been checking the group listed in the OP, but there's never anyone in the chat to ask for an invite. I'm either 35 or 36 right now in TVHM and I think my next story quest is "A Dam Fine Rescue," so if anybody wants to join up, here's my SteamID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lestershy Sadly, I don't have a mic.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

mastersord posted:

As suggested, get cheat engine and the Borderlands 2 cheat table from their site. The numbers below are from the item rarity drop mod addresses

What table are you using exactly? I've found a few but they either don't work or don't have any settings for item rarity.

e: Cheers!

BrainMeats fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 7, 2013

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I use this one. you can modify the drop rates to your liking, simple to use. I can't find the cheat engine forum link so I uploaded it. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzwzLan5IF4vVTJmREdmRFhpNE0/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

bef posted:

I use this one. you can modify the drop rates to your liking, simple to use. I can't find the cheat engine forum link so I uploaded it. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzwzLan5IF4vVTJmREdmRFhpNE0/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

That's pretty rad, but are the changes permanent? I've used CE before, but never on a game mechanic level.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Atlas Moth posted:

That's pretty rad, but are the changes permanent? I've used CE before, but never on a game mechanic level.

No, you'll have to do it each time you load up the game.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
My thought on the drop rates for legendaries - Hey Gearbox, how much free time do you think we have? One boss has a legendary drop rate so low it works out to one in 1500 kills?

The community certainly seems to work it out for themselves - I've been in a couple of games where the host triggered a script, and a fountain of legendaries shot out of his character- way more than his inventory could have held. We could then browse at our leisure.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Schindler's Fist posted:

My thought on the drop rates for legendaries - Hey Gearbox, how much free time do you think we have? One boss has a legendary drop rate so low it works out to one in 1500 kills?

The community certainly seems to work it out for themselves - I've been in a couple of games where the host triggered a script, and a fountain of legendaries shot out of his character- way more than his inventory could have held. We could then browse at our leisure.

I truly believe that at worst Gearbox wishes they'd made a MMO, at best they decided to take inspiration from one. I don't know why they thought BL1's loot formula needed tweaking but I guess what I am saying is that gibbed rules

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

I have tried downloading that client to figure out how to change drop rates and I am clueless. I guess i'll just spend the rest of my life grinding.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

melon farmer posted:

I truly believe that at worst Gearbox wishes they'd made a MMO, at best they decided to take inspiration from one. I don't know why they thought BL1's loot formula needed tweaking but I guess what I am saying is that gibbed rules

At this rate, I'm going to give up the ghost and get it, I'm level 26 (thanks, XP-boosting artifact!) and all the quests spit out level 18-20 weapons. :negative:

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I messed about with Gibbed's editor for the first time last night and had a blast. I'd previously played Commando and Siren, so making a level 50 Gunzerker and tearing up Pete's Bar with various combinations was very entertaining. Dual Molokos was crazy, as was dual Shredifiers, but an Unkempt Harold and Slagga worked well I found. Going to mess about with a Mechromancer and Assassin next, while trying out even more Legendary weapons of course.

Screw farming, though of course Pyro Pete dropped a Legendary Soldier mod the first time I killed him as a Gunzerker on the copied save. :doh:

Thinking of trying an Anarchy/Electricity build for Mechromancer, any suggestions for builds or weapons?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Anarchy/Shock huh? As far as weapons go I'd recommend E-Tech Yellow Jacket from Jackenstein. Anarchy tends to not effect the projectiles as much because of their unique properties (insanely slow bullet speed that ramps up into invisible lightspeed, with piercing).

Twister from Ohmn Ohmn Ohk might be good, but I have no idea since I don't have it. On paper it should work. It's a Unique Shock Jackobs that shoot projectiles that eventually coalesce into a tornado formation. Anarchy might not affect this as much either, but it don't matter because you should be getting close anyway.

You didn't ask about skills, but I would recommend not taking these:

Death From Above
Shock and Auggggghhhhh
Annoyed Android
Shock Storm

IMO these are horrible skills to put points towards, so avoid them. They either scale horribly into the endgame or are completely superfluous (Annoyed Android). A movement speed increase on a robot who can naturally no clip and can have multiple ranged attacks who is already fast is beyond worthless. Should have been an attack speed increase or a precentage based cooldown reduction on his other abilities.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Thanks for the advice TPB, especially for the skills heads-up. I've seen that a few Mechro skills are buggy, and will probably just experiment to see what works. I've never used many shock weapons across my characters so I'd like to try it out, but Anarchy just seems so essential to be a killing machine and Blood Soaked shields is ridiculous from what I understand.

I will definitely try giving DT some crazy legendary shields though. The Flame of the Firehawk, Impaler and the Hide of Terramorphous will be fun to test.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

You guys recommending Gibbeds' save editor and CE literally made this game incredibly entertaining once again for me and my co-op bud. A sincere thank you for rekindling my interest in this game. We can actually look forward to opening chests now!

As an aside, is it wrong for me to tote around shock weapons just for nomads and engineers? God drat it if it isn't funny as hell hearing their death gargles "AHGEGEGEGEG"

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ulvirich posted:

As an aside, is it wrong for me to tote around shock weapons just for nomads and engineers? God drat it if it isn't funny as hell hearing their death gargles "AHGEGEGEGEG"

Now he'll never get to finish his comic collection :smith:

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Twister from Ohmn Ohmn Ohk might be good, but I have no idea since I don't have it. On paper it should work. It's a Unique Shock Jackobs that shoot projectiles that eventually coalesce into a tornado formation. Anarchy might not affect this as much either, but it don't matter because you should be getting close anyway.

I think the twister is my favorite gun in the entire game. I don't know how well it works with anarchy but because of the way the projectiles move back and forth you always end up hitting for very high damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I found some Shift keys that all work at the moment, and I ended up with like 20 keys.

K3K33-3W9JT-6XJJT-TB3JB-HWZZF
5BKBB-TXWS5-WX3BB-TBT33-3SHSB
WTCBB-H5WHC-5F3T3-TBT3T-HR6TJ
WT5TB-XC5ZC-CX3T3-BBT3B-B35WB
5T5B3-CWJSK-KRTJT-TTJJT-9HW63
CTWTB-JTBW5-KFTTT-JTB33-JTBWB
WTCJ3-SHH3K-KFJT3-JBJ3J-H5965
KTCJJ-FHZJW-W6JJB-TTBTJ-R9WWJ
C3CBT-RC3XW-9WF33-BTJ3T-SB99J
CB5BB-XF65C-ZKXTT-TBBBT-TRKJZ
W3CTB-HXR5W-S56B3-TTB33-SXTXF

Enjoy!