Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

maxe posted:

2008 CB400 HYPERVTECREVOSUPERFOUR

First bike, love it to bits

I love this thing. If my 250 ninja somehow ended up thrown under a bus (without me on it), I'd collect the insurance and buy one of these the next day.

I am Bruce Banner's alter ego coloured with envy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
thanks yall

It was definitely the more expensive option for a first bike but when I took it for a test ride it made every other bike I tried look/feel like total junk, so there was no going back.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've always wanted to try a 400 i4, that thing must scream, literally.

A while back I was almost tempted by a '94 NC29 FireBlade for sale locally, which I think has the most Rs of any Honda model; Designation CBR400RR-R.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

maxe posted:

thanks yall

It was definitely the more expensive option for a first bike but when I took it for a test ride it made every other bike I tried look/feel like total junk, so there was no going back.

At the time I was buying my 250, I didn't think much of naked style bikes. I thought the CB400 looked too "boring" and cost too much for a 400cc, relative to a 600cc.

Now I realise the error of my ways... those gold rims are delicious.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've always wanted to try a 400 i4, that thing must scream, literally.

A while back I was almost tempted by a '94 NC29 FireBlade for sale locally, which I think has the most Rs of any Honda model; Designation CBR400RR-R.

It's tied with the 1990-1 (I think) CBR250RR(R). Which is a 250 I4. God I want one of those.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Once again,

Some people say they're underpowered and heavy for their size; I think of 400cc sports as having all the handling finesse and high-revving thrills of a 600ss without the danger or cost.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Once again,

Some people say they're underpowered and heavy for their size; I think of 400cc sports as having all the handling finesse and high-revving thrills of a 600ss without the danger or cost.

goddamnit, here we go again.

http://raresportbikesforsale.com/easy-on-the-eye-ca-titled-1992-honda-vfr400r-nc30/

want, so badly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're poo poo to live with trust me. My one, with factory sprockets, could do 100km/h in first gear. This sounds fantastic for cornering, and it is, but if you ever have to start on a really steep hill or ride with a pillion, you change your mind in a hurry. Wheelies? Forget about it.

Also nonexistent tyre choice because the rear is 18". RVF/NSR250 rear wheels are 17" but good luck finding one of those.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I get a pretty good parking spot at the factory where I work. That's a Genuine Harley-Davidson drip catcher between the tires, there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I get a pretty good parking spot at the factory where I work. That's a Genuine Harley-Davidson drip catcher between the tires, there.

Looks like some genuine harley davidson (tm) merchandise in the bags on the right too :v:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

Looks like some genuine harley davidson (tm) merchandise in the bags on the right too :v:

Recyclables????

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd there were I'd have them picked through by now.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Way to go, betamax...

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Summatime...C'mon spring!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Gorgeous motorcycle.

It's gonna finally reach back into the 30's consistently next week. I can't wait. :( And especially for the academic quarter to be over so I can have more time to fondle the poo poo outta my motorcycles in their storage unit.

Ah yeah, and also paying down of car loans and student loans.... that poo poo needs to be over quick so I can more wastefully splurge on bieks.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Maxe where'd you get that from? I'm assuming your in SE QLD (team moto number plate). Did you buy it new/used? poo poo looks awesome.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
http://postimage.org/image/labp2lxjj/

Another FZR400 followed me home.

E: Imgur is loving broken and not working. have a link.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 6, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

Gorgeous motorcycle.

It's gonna finally reach back into the 30's consistently next week. I can't wait. :( And especially for the academic quarter to be over so I can have more time to fondle the poo poo outta my motorcycles in their storage unit.

Ah yeah, and also paying down of car loans and student loans.... that poo poo needs to be over quick so I can more wastefully splurge on bieks.

Thanks! And yeah, the only thing I can say about this winter is I think it'll be short, I only dropped my insurance down to the most basic this month and it's been so mild I just don't see not being able to get back to riding in march/april.

And I feel ya, I just bought a house; I think my only spending on bieks this year is gonna be new tires and maybe a sprocket change and helmet, everything else goes into the black hole that is home ownership :/

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

cursedshitbox posted:

Tell us more.

I've been wanting a FZR400 for a long time now. I even know of one that's been sitting away in storage for a couple years, completely untouched. Once I have ~$500 I need to go try and buy it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
its a 90' model. Had its rear end raced off by some chick.

Goodies:
More race wire than an aircraft
new fox twin clicker and forks overhauled
4 sets of tires
quick release fairings

Roomie/bf/spouse/bitch/etc wanted a fzr400 after playing with my 400.. I found that one in west los angeles for a thousand.

I'll have some more photos once I get my loving pc re-imaged.

I may just go ahead and start a build thread for the both of our bikes...lots of stuff planned within the next few weeks.

Mine is a 88, My Best friend in Atlanta just bought a 89 model, and now we have a 90 in the mix.

all with different engines too.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Wrong thread !

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 7, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cursedshitbox posted:

how in the gently caress can you find multiple fzr 400's? I've only ever seen a couple on CL and they're always way too expensive.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Searching raigslist all the time.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Searching raigslist all the time.

Did you patch up the fairing on the original bike? Looks like it but I must have missed that.

vvv I remember the crack from the other thread but I didn't remember seeing the patching.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 8, 2013

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
yeah its patched to hell and back. was hit by a tire carcass or something on my move to Vegas. I have new(used) fairings on order, they'll be here soonish. I intend to frame the ones currently on the bike.

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Bought my first new bike yesterday. Passed my CBT a little over a month ago. Aiming to get my full motorcycle licence for this Summer and ride this for two years and upgrade in Summer 2015. I've put about 70/80 miles on it and scrubbed the tyres in. Any tips for maintenance and cleaning? Prior to this, I had a piece of poo poo Suzuki Intruder VL125 with like 12 previous owners and water constantly getting into the carb. It's a nice feeling having a bike that's in warranty and has a service plan for the next six or so services.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Seems like every time a European or Australian posts here I say the same thing: sigh, another awesome and fun-looking little bike that we in the USA will never, ever get.

What's the top speed on a modern 125, out of curiosity?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Motsew posted:

Bought my first new bike yesterday. Passed my CBT a little over a month ago. Aiming to get my full motorcycle licence for this Summer and ride this for two years and upgrade in Summer 2015. I've put about 70/80 miles on it and scrubbed the tyres in. Any tips for maintenance and cleaning? Prior to this, I had a piece of poo poo Suzuki Intruder VL125 with like 12 previous owners and water constantly getting into the carb. It's a nice feeling having a bike that's in warranty and has a service plan for the next six or so services.

I didn't think you had to put P-plates on the front? At least here in QLD I've never seen anyone do it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I think he's in Europe? His number plate looks a bit big and yellow to be an Australian one.

In QLD you don't have to put them on the front, just the back - doesn't it flap around to the point where it would be sideways on the front? Seems kind of silly.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Shimrod posted:

I think he's in Europe? His number plate looks a bit big and yellow to be an Australian one.

In QLD you don't have to put them on the front, just the back - doesn't it flap around to the point where it would be sideways on the front? Seems kind of silly.

Eh, I never put mine on. Usually because I ride my bike (dirt bike) out the back of my house or in forestries and really if someone wants to get me then whatever.

Edit: Yeah he is in Europe/the UK

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
He's in the UK. You have to put 'L' (learner) plates on if you don't have a full bike license.

We have P plates but they're optional but nobody uses them and I think I could probably count on one hand the number of times that I've actually seen them.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Was taking some pictures today and figured I'd post here. I've had her about year now after upgrading from a F4i.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shimrod posted:

The plate's rigid (corrugated plastic with the corrugations parallel to the road) and held on with pretty strong jubilee clips - removing them was by far the hardest part of passing my test...

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Forty Two posted:

He's in the UK. You have to put 'L' (learner) plates on if you don't have a full bike license.

We have P plates but they're optional but nobody uses them and I think I could probably count on one hand the number of times that I've actually seen them.

Pretty much this. In the UK, if you don't have a full motorcycle licence, you can only ride up to a 125cc bike and you have to display 'L' plates front and rear. The law also recently changed so that you have to do your tests on different powered bikes incrementally up to the bigger ones if you're 24 or under, luckily, I'm 25 so I can still do Direct Access. I am thinking of taking that front one off though and putting a sticky on the top of the fairing. I think the aesthetic is a bit ruined with it on the fork.

e:

Sagebrush posted:

Seems like every time a European or Australian posts here I say the same thing: sigh, another awesome and fun-looking little bike that we in the USA will never, ever get.

To be fair though, I've been to the USA and I would never, ever ride a 125 on your freeways.

My particular 125 is surprisingly nippy and accelerates really well up to 55mph and then tops out at 60/65mph. There are 125's you can get though such as the Yamaha YZF-R125 (fun fact, it's actually slightly bigger than the R6 it's styled after) that, de-restricted will put out about 33hp so they'll do about 100mph. However, that particular bike also costs about £4,300 which is about $6,700 of your funny money and there is no way any sane person would spend that much on a 125 unless they have rich, dumb parents.

Motsew fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 10, 2013

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Guni posted:

I didn't think you had to put P-plates on the front? At least here in QLD I've never seen anyone do it.

WA goon here.

I got pulled over by the police a while back (while on the ST675R out on a ride with my dad) who told me that I really should have an L-plate on the front as well as the back. When I pointed him to the front of the bike and asked where I was meant to be attaching the thing, he basically went "uh, yeah, okay" and handwaved it. It's one of these things where you're probably legally required to have the plate on the front but you're not going to get into trouble for not having one there unless you're being busted for something else. In this case I think the cops were just bored and trying to fill their quota on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Sagebrush posted:

It's always kind of surprising that Honda never bothered importing the VTR250 to the States considering how popular the Monster is over there. Weird.

The CBR125R that I started on would top out at about an indicated 130km/h, but I've never checked that against a GPS to see what it was actually doing.

Motsew posted:

However, that particular bike also costs about £4,300 which is about $6,700 of your funny money and there is no way any sane person would spend that much on a 125 unless they have rich, dumb parents.

Not that they're available new any more, but an Aprilia RS125 ran about $9k here, and would produce 27HP stock and about 40 with some easy bolt-on mods. Mine's only got an aftermarket pipe and I'd consider it probably the most batshit insane sportsbike I've ever ridden.

Shouting Melon fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 10, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Motsew posted:

Pretty much this. In the UK, if you don't have a full motorcycle licence, you can only ride up to a 125cc bike and you have to display 'L' plates front and rear. The law also recently changed so that you have to do your tests on different powered bikes incrementally up to the bigger ones if you're 24 or under, luckily, I'm 25 so I can still do Direct Access. I am thinking of taking that front one off though and putting a sticky on the top of the fairing. I think the aesthetic is a bit ruined with it on the fork.

I don't know if they've closed the loophole but in days of yore you could trim a sticky plate down to leave a 1cm white margin around the L if you were sticking the plate to a clear windscreen.

quote:

To be fair though, I've been to the USA and I would never, ever ride a 125 on your freeways.

My particular 125 is surprisingly nippy and accelerates really well up to 55mph and then tops out at 60/65mph. There are 125's you can get though such as the Yamaha YZF-R125 (fun fact, it's actually slightly bigger than the R6 it's styled after) that, de-restricted will put out about 33hp so they'll do about 100mph. However, that particular bike also costs about £4,300 which is about $6,700 of your funny money and there is no way any sane person would spend that much on a 125 unless they have rich, dumb parents.

My RS125SP cost me £4.5k new (15 years ago!), and my parents are neither rich nor dumb. I, however, was spectacularly stupid, not least because that represented about 75% of my take-home pay for a year at the time, and I had to take out a 5-year loan at something like 15% interest to pay for it. Oh, and it was my only means of transport and I needed to use it every day to commute across London.

Derestricted (33 bhp) it would do an indicated 115 though (real-world about 100) - I seriously doubt any of the 4-stroke 125s even get close to that performance, not least because at that state of tune, rebuilding the engine was a service item (little services every 4k *kilometres*, big service including rebuild ever 12.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 10, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't know if they've closed the loophole but in days of yore you could trim a sticky plate down to leave a 1cm white margin around the L if you were sticking the plate to a clear windscreen.

My RS125SP cost me £4.5k new (15 years ago!), and my parents are neither rich nor dumb. I, however, was spectacularly stupid, not least because that represented about 75% of my take-home pay for a year at the time, and I had to take out a 5-year loan at something like 15% interest to pay for it. Oh, and it was my only means of transport and I needed to use it every day to commute across London.

Derestricted (33 bhp) it would do an indicated 115 though (real-world about 100) - I seriously doubt any of the 4-stroke 125s even get close to that performance, not least because at that state of tune, rebuilding the engine was a service item (little services every 4k *kilometres*, big service including rebuild ever 12.

My girlfriend's RG150 was exactly like this, minus the exotic frame, build quality and handling. 35hp on a good day, managed a terrifying 175km/h indicated (would have been 160 real world). I rebuild that engine twice before making her sell it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Forgive the blurry iPhone pictures, but this was my first ride on my new-to-me DRZ400SM and I was a little excited.

epix
Aug 7, 2004
Just bought this '97 Ural Sportsman (2WD), only 4000km on the odometer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Intrigued. I've always wanted to ride one but I've heard they're pretty awful in the real world. Curious to hear what you think about it.