Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If it's any consolation, the Starmen dudes are planning a "spam the poo poo out of Miiverse" campaign once it's released. Shigesato Itoi said he'll be on Miiverse, posting details and anecdotes about the Mother games, so hopefully they'll make an impression on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What is the official reason for why Earthbound never gets a rerelease?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Spacebump posted:

Oh there is none. It's a huge combination of factors.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spacebump posted:

It's assumed to be because of music licensing issues and some of the sprites looking like real people, but Nintendo is silent.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Neo Rasa posted:

It's assumed to be because of music licensing issues and some of the sprites looking like real people, but Nintendo is silent.

The Earthbound fanbase is so rabid I wouldn't be shocked if somebody just straight up murdered any potential plaintiffs

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm not sure Mr. T counts as a real person.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not sure Mr. T counts as a real person.

Racist. :downsrim:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah I've never understood what NOA's vendetta is against the Earthbound series. They've transferred some weird rear end poo poo over, including the not even fully translated Sin & Punishment port. Before that I had never even heard of that title but despite the bullshit extra charge it sold like hotcakes, to the point where they produced a loving sequel and also released it in NA.

Imagine if they released Earthbound on the Wii U VC and it sold so well they started working on an HD modern Earthbound title. :allears:

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 6, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah I've never understood what NOA's vendetta is against the Earthbound series. They've transferred some weird rear end poo poo over, including the not even fully translated Sin & Punishment port. Before that I had never even heard of that title but despite the bullshit extra charge it sold like hotcakes, to the point where they produced a loving sequel and also released it in NA.

Imagine if they released Earthbound on the Wii U VC and it sold so well they started working on an HD modern Earthbound title. :allears:

You are confusing vendetta with apathy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

It isn't a 'vendetta.' Everything we know suggests it involves legal reasons and actually releasing it would involve changing the game and possibly creating new music and such.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if a Project Rainfall type project created new music and art assets for the known problem areas and signed those rights for free exclusively to Nintendo? They could even raise money and hire Shigesato Itoi to compose the theoretically one song they need (sky runner according to the Earthbound fan site). You know there's enough crazy Earthbound fans to do it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The easier solution would be to cut out that BGM and replace it with one of the other songs in the game. But I don't think Earthbound/Mother 3 are ever happening in the states.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't a 'vendetta.' Everything we know suggests it involves legal reasons and actually releasing it would involve changing the game and possibly creating new music and such.

How much time and effort could it possibly take to replace a handful of 16 bit BGMs and a few sprites?

Release it for $15, because they know we'd pay it. Done.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

The easier solution would be to cut out that BGM and replace it with one of the other songs in the game. But I don't think Earthbound/Mother 3 are ever happening in the states.

Well according to the site they would do just that with other problematic songs but the Sky Runner theme is unique to the cut scene and other songs from the game would be inappropriate and adversely affect the quality of the scene. They would want a song written especially for that scene. That isn't really a problem when it comes to battle music.

NOA has requested changes but writing a new song is a sticking point for NCL, which doesn't understand or is annoyed by the request.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 6, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

What if a Project Rainfall type project created new music and art assets for the known problem areas and signed those rights for free exclusively to Nintendo? They could even raise money and hire Shigesato Itoi to compose the theoretically one song they need (sky runner according to the Earthbound fan site). You know there's enough crazy Earthbound fans to do it.

This came up ages ago. The creator specifically said that he didn't want any changes made to Earthbound, and he's held fast to that. If it was as simple as just changing the music, it would've happened already.

edit: Dammit, I can't find the article where he made the statement, but I'm sure he did.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
Not to divert too much from earthbound talk, but I just got my wii u and was wondering if there was any way to turn off the gamepad screen while watching netflix. I know that there is a menu option to do so, but to exit the menu also turns the screen back on.

vvvvv: bah, I figured. Inconvenient for the battery. I guess I need a more convenient place for the charger. Thanks for the info.

Party Miser fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 6, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Party Meiser posted:

Not to divert too much from earthbound talk, but I just got my wii u and was wondering if there was any way to turn off the gamepad screen while watching netflix. I know that there is a menu option to do so, but to exit the menu also turns the screen back on.

Unfortunately not. You can use a pro controller to back out of the menu, but whatever you were watching will pause until you go back into it on the gamepad.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Bobnumerotres posted:

Its hard to say that it would. Remember that the only U.S. Money that Nintendo has seen for the Earthbound series is whatever they made off of the 140,000 SNES copies they sold. Compare that to Super Metroid, which sold 450,000 units. While the average emulation enthusiast may see Earthbound as part of a rich series of quirky funny JRPGs that they have been pleading for the release of, the average nostalgia gamer that the VC is targeting probably only remembers it as "that one game that was like Charlie Brown meets Dragon Warrior"

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Red_Mage posted:

Its hard to say that it would. Remember that the only U.S. Money that Nintendo has seen for the Earthbound series is whatever they made off of the 140,000 SNES copies they sold. Compare that to Super Metroid, which sold 450,000 units. While the average emulation enthusiast may see Earthbound as part of a rich series of quirky funny JRPGs that they have been pleading for the release of, the average nostalgia gamer that the VC is targeting probably only remembers it as "that one game that was like Charlie Brown meets Dragon Warrior"

Okay, but making money takes effort. Make the necessary changes, remaster everything, do some marketing, and put it on the 3DS or Wii U as a retail product. Hell, this logic basically makes Earthbound a brand new IP that Nintendo gets almost as a freebie.

It's almost like Nintendo is terrified of having to do anything that requires them to actually market a product or tell the world that said product exists. They couldn't be bothered for the 3DS, and they did a half-rear end job on the Wii U. A game like Earthbound would do well in a world where smart, funny writing is becoming more desirable in top-tier games.

It's sad that Nintendo seems more than happy to sit back and do nothing, instead letting the same 5 or so characters be milked to death.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
You must be new to this Nintendo stuff.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bloodysabbath posted:

It's almost like Nintendo is terrified of having to do anything that requires them to actually market a product or tell the world that said product exists.

Nintendo pushed the ever loving poo poo out of Earthbound when it came out. You knew what it was because it had the BIGGEST BOX IN THE STORE. Seriously, with exception to Mario Paint (which came with a mouse and plastic mouse pad), Earthbound was a monster in the retail store. And every game magazine featured Earthbound ads. I was hyped for the game back when it was being called Mother 2 still in GamePro magazine and you couldn't avoid it. It got better promotion than Final Fantasy III. And it sold like poo poo. Because not only were JRPGs niché at the time but JRPGs were also the most expensive game. In Canada they were all over $100 to buy.

Maybe Nintendo should recognize they have a cult classic but it's unfair to say Nintendo didn't promote EarthBound when it was released.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Probably because their marketing literally said "this game stinks". I mean why would they do that?!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They did market the hell out of it, Nintendo had a really crappy marketing firm back then though. Their tagline was literally "this game stinks". But the market is much much different now of course.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It also doesn't help that the non-traditional size of the game box meant that many retailers had to shelve it in a place away from the rest of the SNES games.

I remember buying it back in the day and not being able to find it at first, since Best Buy shoved it on the bottom shelf out of sight. Of course, that could have also been because I bought the game on clearance, and it was taking up the "good" space otherwise.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Probably because their marketing literally said "this game stinks". I mean why would they do that?!

Things popular in the mid 90s:

- Ren and Stimpy
- Jim Carrey movies with fart and poop jokes
- Scratch and sniff stickers

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Things popular in the mid 90s:

- Ren and Stimpy
- Jim Carrey movies with fart and poop jokes
- Scratch and sniff stickers

Furthermore, Toejam and Earl, Boogerman, Earthworm Jim. Media for tween boys was obsessed with "gross" stuff back then. Fans remember the gentle and humane style of the game these days, but it also had enemies that burped on you to make you nauseous. Plus it had a scratch-and-sniff gimmick.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thinking about those scratch 'n sniff cards still makes me feel kind of ill.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Despite the marketing even the box itself was boring as hell. Being a kid I was all about Contra and dudes with big guns and looking on the back of the box just looked like a Saturday morning cartoon. I remember the only reason I bought it was because my mom (who knew nothing about videogames) was practically begging me to buy it "look how huge the box is!!" "it comes with a players guide!!" Thanks mom!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I had to poke and prod my mom to let me buy it because she thought it looked too young for me. I was 9.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone had any weird problems with their gamepad? Mine has been working fine but today it started acting strange. The touch screen was acting like it was calibrated all wrong and all the buttons except for the TV, Home and Power ones wouldn't work. I couldn't get past the user selection screen because the touch screen wouldn't let me tap my name. It seems to be working okay now, but the touch screen starts doing stuff on its own sometimes. I'm just kinda worried that it's faulty or something because sending it to Nintendo would probably be kind of a pain.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So Gamefly is sending my Skyward Sword this week. I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the game, but I'm looking forward to it as it'll my first Zelda game since Twilight Princess. Is the amount of bullshit in the game really as bad as people made it out to be when it was released? By people I mean various gaming podcasts, really. Twilight Princess wore me out with the way that it would tell me what a blue rupee is even though I was 30 hours deep into the game.

Also, a technical question regarding the sensor bar. I'm about 14' away from where the bar is, and I'm using the bar that came with my Wii U. It's been forever since I've played a Wii game, do I need to get a longer sensor bar in order for the controller to be easier to use? I seem to remember this being the case way back when.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

EC posted:

So Gamefly is sending my Skyward Sword this week. I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the game, but I'm looking forward to it as it'll my first Zelda game since Twilight Princess. Is the amount of bullshit in the game really as bad as people made it out to be when it was released? By people I mean various gaming podcasts, really. Twilight Princess wore me out with the way that it would tell me what a blue rupee is even though I was 30 hours deep into the game.

It's flawed but I do like it more than Twilight Princess personally. The game is bugged wherein it doesn't save that you've been told what a rupee is. So every time you load up your game again, you get to be told what every single item is the first time you pick it up in that session. Other than that the main flaw of the game for me is that they basically removed exploration completely. Also at one point where you do have the opportunity to do an area out of order, due to a glitch if you do it out of order a flag for another dungeon won't trigger and you'll have to restart the entire game. Have a nice day. :)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also it takes hand holding to ridiculous new levels and controls are inconsistent at best.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Neo Rasa posted:

It's flawed but I do like it more than Twilight Princess personally. The game is bugged wherein it doesn't save that you've been told what a rupee is.

I'm pretty sure this is actually a design choice, not a bug.

Trademarked
Aug 26, 2006

Well, fancy that.
With Skyward Sword remember to recalibrate the controls by pressing down on the dpad anytime things start to feel off. The game has flaws for sure, but I enjoyed it more then Twilight Princess.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Neo Rasa posted:

Also at one point where you do have the opportunity to do an area out of order, due to a glitch if you do it out of order a flag for another dungeon won't trigger and you'll have to restart the entire game. Have a nice day. :)

Is there a way to know if this is coming up, so I can avoid it?

Thanks for the other responses, I appreciate it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
That game-breaking bug has a patch you can download via the Wii Shop Channel on Wii Mode. It's a free download. Haven't had to use it myself, so I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I just kept it on-hand just in case.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Twilight Princess was so hand-holdey that I got to the end of it, died for the first time, and never bothered picking it up again. It's maddening how bad that game was with it.

Here's an item and a puzzele that shows you how to use it.

*Game should quit while it's ahead here, but goes on...*

Here's a long description of the item when you pick it up.

Here's a cutscene showing you how to use said item.

Here's Fi outright repeating every piece of information you've just been given.

The lack of an overworld was bad enough, but that was loving ridiculous.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

EC posted:

At one point you're going to have to find three dragons, save the lightning/thunder one for last. You'll know when you get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

EC posted:

If it happens just run the patch tool they released back in 2011, here's their info page with a how-to-avoid and how-to-fix guide.

• Locked thread