Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
(Quick post, more tomorrow.)

Door is not locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui twists the handle, pushing it open lightly before moving north along the wall and to the edge of the corner, a short way down the hallway from the dog and guard, and quietly casts obscuring mist.

Stealth again just in case?: 1d20+14 32

A 20 foot cloud of mist spills out around P'ui.

quote:

A misty vapor arises around you. It is stationary. The vapor obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature 5 feet away has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker cannot use sight to locate the target).

A moderate wind (11+ mph), such as from a gust of wind spell, disperses the fog in 4 rounds. A strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round. A fireball, flame strike, or similar spell burns away the fog in the explosive or fiery spell's area. A wall of fire burns away the fog in the area into which it deals damage.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar places his bow quietly back on his back and draws both his hammer and mace, preparing to move forward when the dog and man are distracted.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty pads past the guard and the dog, trying to keep quiet and... uh, smell like mist?

A Stealth roll of 25.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oreom Bonne

Oreom's only response to the mention of the impact of war is an utter lack of concealing the grin that spreads across his lips, glancing idly up toward the ceiling as though reminiscing. War is a terrible, horrible thing that brings a great tragedy upon all; it is also exceedingly profitable when the half-dead come upon your doorstep seeking help and end up dying from poor medical care, leaving their things to be divvied up, or when they come seeking weapons to fight with, or places to hole up in to avoid the brunt of the downward march of an impossible army. Wars lead to brawls that can boil the blood like no other. Wars weren't so terrible, as long as you survived them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Face Team (Oreom, Hecate, Vanessa, Figuero, Thorgeisl)

Carbon's got a grin on his face like a lad catching a lady with her skirts up to the knee. "The need for labor in the North won't die out for a few years, but I don't think you came here for tips on construction work." He shifts around the desk and reaches to the top of the opaque box, pressing his thumb down upon the corners of it, which are framed in decorative silver that starts out in a branching pattern to mimic thorny bushes and lengthens out into tendrils that twist themselves into vague shapes. After a few moments applying pressure to the base of the sculpted brush it shimmers with a soft red hue and the tendrils retract, the box turning transparent with a set of four soft clicks. He gently raises it off the base of the silver frame-work and reveals a solid, sturdy black-leather glove with a simple Ogre tribal marking for <STRONG> sitting next to a very strange little blue-silver metal capsule tube in a spindly, bendy frame that gives it room to be rotated by a small handle on the side.

Sort of like this, but completely solid, with small hatches clamped shut at the top.

"The future isn't in paranoid kings building up walls to match their delusions or in nervous tribes feeling the threat of extinction for the first time and making land grabs. You might say the future is in power, real tangible stuff like armies and walls, but I still disagree." He holds up the glove and removes a small, straight metallic rod from under it, then gestures with much emphasis as he dons the glove and then waggles the rod between his thumb and index finger a few times, to make sure he's got your attention. With a small grunt he then bends the rod in the center by 90 degrees. "No no, I think it's our failure to understand where that power came from. Are we a world of yokels to be taken by the first huckster that comes along? Did we have any idea what Illithid were capable of until they gave us a demonstration?" With his free hand, he grips the handle on the head-sized metal capsule, gives you all a pointed look in the eyes, each stop taking a practiced 2 seconds before he begins to spin the handle. "We all had an idea after. I got a good taste of it when I lost my dear wife... s'what sent me out of Draunt, to help put the war to an end."

The capsule discharges a shower of sparks and after a dozen initial turns Carbon lets the handle go. The capsule continues to spin and generate small bits of electricity that arc across it, the handle comes to a complete halt and under it's own power begins to spin in reverse for several cycles, alternating every so often. You can hear a very distant sort of rattling and churning, like a larger machine were in the next room over. After a mere 10 seconds set-up, the device ignites a sea-green aura around itself and fills the room in a bubble that expands rapidly to the limits of the room. It comes to a stop, wavering slightly, clipping impossibly through the ceiling and floor, then slowly pushes out a few extra feet until it comes to a perfect stop, neither growing or shrinking. The little device hums as it continues to work.

Spells cannot be cast temporarily. All bonuses granted by magical items are suppressed and non-functional. Items are not damaged in any way.

Vanessa: Your shoulder goes numb.

Hecate: You feel uncomfortable.

Knowing enough to let the device do the talking, Carbon watches your faces for reactions for a bit before clearing his throat. He picks up the bent metal rod in his gloved hand and tries to straighten it with a great bit of exaggeration, flexing his arm intently and gritting his teeth. Then he chuckles and drops it onto the base again and takes the gauntlet off, dropping it atop the rod. "An understanding that defeats magic itself. That's what I'm after. It'll be a few days before they finish voting for it, but once the Council Below grants me funding I'll be establishing an international patent office." He steps around the desk and folds his arms, grinning up a storm. "Authority to travel the globe, to overrule any office and any people, to delve into old battle sites and to find the worst the Flayers turn on us, a lot of it still alive and kicking! And then we're gonna use it. Reverse it, make life better for everybody. And for those that stand against us... never again."

Sewer Team (P'ui, Olimar, Lefty)

Stealth All checks are overwhelmingly sufficient to stay hidden around corners and avoid line of sight with the guard.

Dog succeeds on it's second Fortitude roll! His bulk serves him well! P'ui opens the door and catches a brief glimpse of a room full of dozens of naked skeletons piled into a shallow pit smashed into the unworked stone with a small book-shelf next to the door with an unlit candle, quill, ink-well and a small book. The shelf is filled with a half-dozen identical books. P'ui then sets up the Obscuring Mist and the Guard is startled.

"Oh Hells, not this again! Come on boy!" Guard and Dog head through the mist and directly towards the door, Guard producing a small sapphire blue vial from his belt and awkwardly repeating a memorized line in Dwarvish. <"Rest easy, rest easy, ashen eyes do not mark thee, black hands do not guide thee, rest east, rest easy."> Nothing you'd recognize from your time in the Underdark, Olimar.

It's a snap to hit the stairs and ascend into the fort.

A simple jaunt up and you come out into a cozy little set of rooms lit by lanterns, a bit of that ammonia scent rising from a chamber pot near the stairs. In the next room is a spot where the Guard was probably passing his shift with a barrel of cheap booze and a small wooden bin of apples, a chair with a small table next to it. On the table is a trashy silver-coin romance novel, a polished dagger and a half-full bottle of the armorer's best friend, Rust-Ol!

quote:

Rust-Ol: When a man wants to delve into the underdark but not into his wallet afterwards! Popularized by the Dwarven Adventurer Boom of 789, Rust-Ol produced the fortune of a Dwarven House and they remain the sole manufacturer and distributor to this day. They say over-use can lead to embarrassing effects, especially when the brass come to inspect.

Charges 11/20
1/Use (Standard Action) - Weapon/Armor cannot be damaged by rusting effects for one day.
Destroy Bottle (Standard Action) - Throw/Melee bottle at target (20 ft range on Throw.) Deals 1 Slashing damage, 3 on a Critical(20), instantly rusts and destroys metal weapon and armor up to Masterwork. Ineffective against Magical or better equipment.

With your Darkvision and a few torches set about, it's easy to check out this floor. Seems to be the final floor of the place, before it'd join with the sewers, so more of a tight little knob with room to perform a Last Stand, as any Dwarf would be eager to do if the enemy came up from below.

Immediately to the south you can see a wide open room with a pair of large fountain statues, with the water catching basin built into the floor and with four separate spots where monolithic stone figures hold great urns that still have a bit of moisture on them. Olimar would be familiar with the level of luxury that is the Dwarven shower, part of the great forays into Dignified Living that have marked the newest Dwarven engineering science of "Hygiene." In the corner are two chests stuffed with filthy under-clothes and red-gold linens that make up part of the guard outfits you saw on the man below.

Nearby you discover a Locked Door(green highlight) and a small alcove where a great many sleeping pallets are spread out, with three men dozing away. They're unarmored, but the goods are nowhere in sight. By the looks of things this room was only recently occupied. Vision given to this room is assumed by P'ui or Olimar looking around the corner with Darkvision.

Floors in the East lead to a higher floor and if you stand at the base of them you can make out the loud laughter and chest-beating of male bonding and feasting.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 3, 2013

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl Whose Laughter Stinks of Killing

Thorgeisl moves as if to intercept the bubble from Hecate when it begins expanding, though he winces when the bubble touches his flesh. Whether it is from the seemingly magical bubble, or because he can feel the magic negation, may not be clear.

While he does manage to keep up the bodyguard facade, his teeth are clenched and he is clearly not happy about this development. Again whether it is because of the effect on himself, or the effect on his charge, is not necessarily clear.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"My, my, if I wanted to see a rod being bent I'd ask one my men here to do it by himself. If brute power is the so-called future you are telling me, then we are not seeing anything of new right now, my good Colonel." Hecate says with a sarcastic tone as she observes Carbon doing his 'parlor trick'. Maybe Barney and Richard were wrong, such a flippant and immature man couldn't possibly have something this...

And then there's that bubble.

A weapon that can negate magical power... Such a thing terrified someone who learned to rely on these gifts like Hecate did, and she couldn't help but feel a strange churning sensation on her insides as the green aura enveloped her. This... This was far too big indeed. "I-it appears to be that way, Colonel. Such a device could have saved a lot of lives back in the war against the Illithid, but what use could it have now? What if it fails, and the Flayers are roused to march against our lands again?" The sarcasm is gone. Only a true feeling of worry now lingers on the Sorceress' voice.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
In contrast, Nessa grins fiercely. "Antimagic!"
She peers closer at the whirring object.
"How does it work? I mean... well, I'm sure there are secrets, but I wouldn't understand anyway. I mean, where does it get its power? What happens if the fields overlap, or if two go in each others' fields?"
Suddenly, she straightens, her face going sour.
"This isn't illithid tech, is it? You know how often that nonsense bites you back in the arse, you can't bend it against its original master. Absolutely can't."

zachol fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 4, 2013

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

"What a curious contraption you have there" Figuero half-mumbles, as his head tilts quizzically to the side.
"You mean to tell me any hand who turns that crank can create the field we have just witnessed?"

"From where could such a craftwork originate?" he added briefly.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Nessa's frown deepens.
"Wait. Did I hear you say... reverse it? Use illithid monstrosities? You have to know that'll never last, especially if this itself comes from the same place. Trying to use this to keep those things contained, they'd adapt, absorb it into themselves. It's like fighting fire with fire, you'll just make it bigger in the end."

She waves at the object.
"Why, I imagine within time, you'd have creatures emanating these sorts of fields, completely knocking our own magical defenses, with the monsters themselves having found a way to still function within them. Or rays of it, or fields that absorb or reflect magic, or, or... I don't know, but something nightmarish. It'll be the war all over again.
"Over and over, I saw wizards of amazing talent charge onto the field, who were sure they'd managed a way to harness the illithid's weaponry for our own purposes, and it always failed catastrophically. Hell, half the time I'd have to put them down myself, kill my own men, after they'd turned. What assurance could you possibly have that this time would be any different?"

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty pads around, well aware that his vision is somewhat less than the others' given that he's stuck to torchlight. He looks for a key to open that locked door, netting a 17.

If that fails, he'll try to open the door anyway, rolling a 24 on the dice roller while forgetting about the bonus from his MW Thieves' Tools, netting a 26 total to get it open.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oreom Bonne

The faint dying-embers glow living beneath Oreom's hair goes dull as spent coals, gray with mere flecks of orange spitting their way to the surface. The grit and grind of his teeth cause more sparks than his appearance does for the time being, and while there is nothing overtly painful about being inside of the sphere of influence, there is a profound sense of disquiet. A bit like reaching a higher altitude and finding it suddenly difficult to catch your breath. Oreom feels a rather keen urge to just kick the machine end over end and stomp on it a few times for good measure, but is at least barely cognizant enough of the fact that he has no idea how it works to figure that that's a bad idea. Luckily, Thorgeisl's sense of pride and keeping up with the lie gives him over to protecting Hecate, since Oreom made not a single motion to do the same. Instead, he clears his throat.

"So whatcher sayin' pal, is the future's bein' in paranoid Colonels buildin' up wallsa antimagic 'til an assassin realizes swords still work plenny good. Yer hoakum works on one, two, and then the word's bein' gettin' out, and they meetcha with steel. An' then all that smart stuff she's sayin' too," he added with a look at Vanessa about reverse-engineering and .. whatever. Oreom didn't really get a lot of the fine details, but he knew when you attacked someone with a dinner knife, they came back with two friends with daggers, and then you came back at 'em with four and swords, until your favorite dining hole was on fire and then nobody was happy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Your words dial Carbon's rampant enthusiasm back down to a coy grin and he reaches to the little capsule, waiting for handle to come to one of it's predetermined stopping points. He catches the handle, gives it two clockwise and one counter-clockwise rotation and the field shrinks back into the device, removing the anti-magic field. "Pessimism, eh? That's alright, every army needs more realists than boys at the helm and I'd qualify for either." He casually dons the gauntlet and straightens the metal rod out. "A lot of the details here, particularly the crafting are top secret. It's a marvelous bit of magi-tech and as you'd rightfully fear, any man with some fingers could start it up. This is just a little demonstration unit, most armies won't be polite enough to confine their sorcery to a single office."

Carbon sets the rod down, then the glove and does a quick scan over the capsule, giving it a few rotations by hand, which doesn't generate any of the noise or effects of the field. "We'll have a working prototype that can cover a city block in a month and the Flayers had devices that covered all of Geareg Above." He cautiously replaces the glass frame, giving Hecate and Vanessa the occasional side-long glance as he adjusts the fit into place. "Your fears are well-founded, ladies, but that's my purpose. Even as we speak there's a chance a Halfling is trying to set-up a tobacco farm to begin a life for himself on the outskirts of civilization and what does he find? Death ray, mind probe, Gods help us, something living. What is he going to do with it? That's where I come in!" He chuckles to himself and presses his thumbs upon the silver-frame brush until it pulses again and the glass-work becomes opaque with a series of clicks. He leans back and sets his fists on his hips, grinning.

"We'll be funded by every nation in the world, cataloguing the magitech left behind by the Flayers. Whatever's safe to pass into public knowledge, we clean that up and give it back to the world. Anything else... we keep it under lock and key. Your man has the right of it, when the Flayers negged Geareg we took the fight to them with rifle and swords, and we won." He steps around the desk and manages to casually gesture to either wall of firearms on display as he does so. "All of your points are wonderful and my team assembled so far has pored over them for weeks now, but it's not enough. That's where you'd come in. To keep my men secure, to arm them in this very profitable undertaking. To guard our lives, to stop those assassins with your own blades, and to keep this wild, active tech under control, to make sure we don't see another Landing at Fort Ikora." He gives Vanessa a solemn nod.

"Now, you've heard my lot and I can give you each individual offers, so let's get down to it, shall we? First of all, I'm going to need your help with cannons and field artillery, Miss... ?" Well, he's calling Hectate up to bat with an all-business look, inviting Hecate, Oreom and Thorgeisl to stay in the room. The office door opens as two guards carry in a set of four fine wooden chairs and set them in, then depart. At least they're of good make and support.

Carbon gives Figuero and Vanessa a friendly smile. "If you could close the door, thank you."

Hecate, Oreom, Thorgeisl: Carbon speaks politely with Hecate. "Alright, I've need of a decent number of hand-held field artillery and a few larger cannons, but the more things that can be carried by men over loose terrain the better. Mortars, small cannons, tell me what you stock, miss."

The basic set-up, with Vanessa and Figuero waiting politely outside with the decorative cannons. A nearby reinforced door(Green Halo) is marked with a jaunty little hand-made sign covered in dings and heavy bits of coal smudging and reads "Ammunition."

West would be back the way you came, leading towards the stairs down to the first floor and the exit. A guard rotates his shoulders and tries to stay awake. There are two doors(Magenta Halo to help you see and to separate the Halls a bit for now, both closed.

To the North and marked with Yellow Halo is a hall leading off into the manor's second floor. A guard leans against the wall. There are three doors up here, with the furthest(Yellow Halo) being half-way open but dark and hard to see into.

The South with Blue Halo is much the same but seems to be the only part unmanned. Some carpet is rolled up at the end of the hall and there are three doors in sight.

Full map shot.

Lefty, Perception: No keys here.

Lefty, Disable Device: Opening Locks is rolled into Disable Device. All the same, you expertly open the lock and your use of masterwork tools opens the door quietly. Inside is a very small room with a set of two wooden chests stuffed with three sets of half-plate armor that stink of sweat. Small shelves built into the walls hold a small log, a quill and ink-well, a bundle(6) of unused torches, one sun-rod and two vials of Holy Water.

quote:

Holy Water: Shake Once, Bless Twice. Deals 2d4 Blessed/Holy damage to Undead or Evil Outsider. Thrown as Grenade Weapon or applied to adjacent target as Melee Touch.

Guard Log posted:

All Entries prior to 901 and the End of the War detail daily checks of the sewers and other tunnels that connect to the fort underground for Undead infiltrators. The latest entry...

August 14th, 902 PR - zombie smalls overwhelmed part of the ward and entered the fort, had to put them down by hand and lost a squaddie of all things. carbon orders permanent guard post. all remains tossed in the pit.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "Undead out of the sewers, eh? Well, stands ta reason a man might need to protect himself against that sorta thing. I'm sure nobody'll mind if I take this holy water, just in case." Lefty mutters to himself.

He whispers to the others, "Nothin' incriminatin' here, but I didn't expect much outta a guard post. Onward an' upward, eh?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"It's not pessimism, just... Apprehension. While supplanting magical power would do wonders to our line of work, the fact that it cannot discern friend from foe might be quite a liability. Of course, it's not my place to question this kind of stuff, but i -wonder- how my dear Colonel got his hands in such an advanced piece. To be honest you don't look like a man of science to me." The woman says as she tries to feel the machine's texture with her hand. Yes, with the possession of something like that, Carbon will rise to heights unknown... Perhaps she needs to wring out some more information from him before that.

"My associates prefer to call me 'Scarlet', Colonel. Now, would the firearms that our group produces be needed to guard a bunch of prototypes? Although the kind of money we are talking might dispel some of my worries." Hecate gives a short chuckle while sitting in one of the wooden chairs.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa starts pacing, still frowning.
"What I'm pessimistic about is your bizarre notion that there would be illithid magi-tech that's 'safe.' It's all dangerous, even the most innocuous looking example, because it changes. If you found, like, a lamp, just a simple lamp that produces light and can be easily grown and distributed, then in a few months time you'd start hearing reports of men going insane, rampaging and murdering, and then autopsies would find those lamps crawled inside them like a parasite. Even the best wizard in the world wouldn't have found that capability, because it wasn't there at the start, but it came about in time, because of how insidious the stuff is."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Carbon shoos Vanessa out the door to begin the first meeting. "Dear, hysteria swings both ways. Living in fear of flame is no path to mastering it. Now please, I will be sure to speak to you next!" Door shut, leaving Nessa with Figuero outside the office.

Back to Hecate, Thorgeisl and Oreom. "Scarlet, is it? Hmm... no, generators won't be operational and clear for field use for quite a while. This is good old fashioned explosive ordinance. Rocks or walls in the way? Down it goes!" Carbon has a savvy glint in his eyes as he watches Hecate intently, giving her full, undivided attention and eye to eye focus. "Now there are at least two Dwarven Houses that don't have much to do but blow up rocks, I want to know why I should buy your cannons, especially since a wry little Human like yourself has set up shop before they could."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 5, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa hmmphs at the colonel, and starts to pace in the hallway, grumbling under her breath.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar nods and grumbles out, "Sounds good to me, holy water eh? I always just preferred to smack undead in the head repeatedly with large blunt objects." He gives a slightly chuckle and then moves in place behind Lefty, but ready to spring around in front if need be.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Because I know an opportunity when I see one, Colonel. Unlike those stuffy Dwarves that are content on set their homes underground, we know that this is a fast-changing World. This fragile peace won't hold for long, and soon the line of business that I represent will again boom on the fogs of war." Hecate grins at the mention of that, looking deeply at Carbon's eyes. "And as one that likes to stand on the winning side... Someone with the key to unlock power greater than the Illithids is the person I'd put my bets on. Whether my competitors think the same, however... "

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Stalking out of the room with a quiet sense of dissatisfaction, Figuero resigns himself to the company of the Ronin and Carbon's guard outside the office. Waiting hardly a few seconds after hearing Vanessa's pacing footsteps, Figuero turns to address the guards posted by the office door. "Are most guests entertained by your employer's eccentricities?"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
"When our flight has begun, She thinks it would be wise to check the closet below. It provided a good distraction for the guard-ape and it's hound, but this one thinks there may be more, if it is a source of infestation from the dead. Necromancy is frowned upon in the ape-cities."

She makes her way to the east hallway carefully, scoping out the area for any signs of life.

stealth: 1d20+14 27

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Hecate: Carbon tenses a bit. "That's some good human spirit, Scarlet, but I need to know your stuff's as good as a Dwarven craftsman's. I'll not see my men endangered recklessly."

Figuero: "Ah, you know how it is. He beats the Hell out of the usual human wave bastards they send outta Draunt. Literally, I heard once." The guard shifts his weight from foot to foot, trying to get comfortable, the other doorman chuckles at that last bit.

P'ui, Stealth: You're able to get good vision on the next floor, which seems to be a centrally placed one, with the hall you are coming out of branching off of it. The next hall is a small box and kill zone separated by half-walls with slots for crossbows. At the front of the hall are a pair of detailed carvings of stoic Dwarven Defenders in full plate and great tower shields, bearing ceremonial maces that double as braziers. The area ahead is the source of the noise.

A dozen men are having a rip-roaring good time, all of them in uniform and in varying degrees of armed, but all of it sheathed and most of them not wearing helmets. You can make out a half-dozen Humans, three Dwarves, a Halfling and two Gnomes. Nearby, a 13th man comes out of a nearby room and kicks the door shut behind him, his arms full with a heavy barrel. His path to an iron-grated door in the north is noted in the second picture.

Full map shot. There is the door the guard shut directly to your North and another iron barred door to the far East.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 6, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"And how should I? We brought no merchandise with us here, specially not considering some of the other contact and clients that our group keeps. But please, Nicholas..." She lifts and slowly approaches Carbon, putting her hand on his face. "I am a reliable woman, and my weapons are as reliable than anything that the little beardfaces can churn off, they are also much more affordable... And our group always rewards our friends."

Bluff (Seducing/Bluffing Carbon) = 1d20+8: 23 [1d20=15] (25 if the seduce bonus is applied)

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "Hmm... I wonder if we'd have an easier time gettin' through if we picked up a coupla uniforms outta tha barracks for ourselves. Ya think every guard here knows every other guard here? Mebbe for, say, the gnomes, where there ain't so many around... but I bet a dwarf and a coupla humans in proper uniform might could pass through without more trouble'n a mug o' somethin' frosty pushed their way and a coupla verses sung."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

With the device powered down Thorgeisl, under the guise of keeping an eye on it so that it doesn't blow up and harm his 'employer', tries to learn what he can about the contraption.

If he can use Detect Magic without anyone noticing he will, otherwise Arcana or Spellcraft on the device. 1d20+8 for Arcana or 1d20+13 for Spellcraft. Result of 24 for Arcana or 29 for Spellcraft.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar nods along until the end of what Lefty says then just kinda pauses... looks at him in confusion and slowly says, "Are.... are you having a stroke man?" He steps back into the room they had previously left and motions the others back in, "Yeah, we should probably disguise ourselves. I don't really see us walking through the whole keep unseen with that many drat guards around." He motions back towards the mess hall area while muttering, "You'd think they were worried a couple teams of people might break in with thoughts of doing them wrong."

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Figuero
"Human Wave? What sort of lot are they?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Hecate, Bluff: Carbon seems interested, passing his hand along yours with a boyish grin. "Well well, I'd love to hear more about your group and your guns, perhaps after I'm finished with the other petitioners. Perhaps you could dismiss your boys and we could speak in private later?"

Thorgeisl, Spellcraft/Arcana: Giants have words for this sort of phenomenon, identifying it readily with Illithid siege weapons called "Beholders", who specialized in one purpose: flying over lines of men, identifying anyone casting spells and devouring them whole beneath the gaze of an eye that had the same anti-magic effect. Further inquiry would require taking the generator apart. You get the feeling the effect of the generator is relative to it's size.

Figuero: (My mistake, I capitalized words I shouldn't have! Referring to human wave tactics in warfare.) "Water-headed nobles in Draunt don't lose much sleep over sending men to take a pass, even if it's with their corpses. S'cuse me, got a changing of the guard soon." The knight starts talking quietly with his fellow and some parchment changes hands.

(Just a quick reminder that I'd prefer not to act on assumptions made in conversation, so please follow up with a stated plan of action once you're in agreement.)

Hmmm... those fellows in the mess hall do seem awfully rowdy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"If you say so. I am glad we were able to achieve an understanding." She waves to Thorgeisl and Oreom while heading to the to the door outside of the office. Hook, Line and Sinker, she thought to herself while passing through them. Now, for a way to get one of these parts...

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rtwo posted:

: "Hmm... I wonder if we'd have an easier time gettin' through if we picked up a coupla uniforms outta tha barracks for ourselves. Ya think every guard here knows every other guard here? Mebbe for, say, the gnomes, where there ain't so many around... but I bet a dwarf and a coupla humans in proper uniform might could pass through without more trouble'n a mug o' somethin' frosty pushed their way and a coupla verses sung."

P'ui rubs her paws together ponderously. "This one thinks it a fine plan, as long as She is not expected to speak. Concealment of Her nature is easy enough. This one trusts you are the right types of ape to be playing at guard work? She can never tell them apart..." she says with a grin. "It is called the Lefty, yes? And the squat ape, you are the Olimar? P'ui will disguise herself with magic. Do the speaking for her."

P'ui pulls a scroll from her pack and casts Disguise Self on herself to resemble a female human guard. She's haggard looking, like she's spent too much of her life hitting the hookah, but her armor and arms are fairly clean. She looks like a new recruit hired in a pinch.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 6, 2013

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl nods and accompanies Hecate out. He would like a closer look at the device, but this is not exactly the best time to do so. Once outside he asks her, "do you wish us to leave you alone with him?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Later, yes." She leans to Thorgeisl's head and whispers to him. "If anything, I'd like to see if there's a way to retrieve the device... Or at least the most parts that can be disassembled." She then turns her head to Vanessa, pointing at the doors behind her. "Your turn now, I believe."

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "Well, hold on there. We gotta find uniforms for ourselves first, hey? Don't want your magic runnin' out too soon."

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar backtracks to where the armor is being kept and looks for a guard tabard from the area to put over his armor, not wanting to replace his whole suit of armor.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa smiles at Hecate, walking into the room to face Carbon.
"Alright, Colonel. At least tell me where this..."
She waves at the contraption.
"...gets its power from. Some strange dwarven runes, bound elementals, tiny little demons, what?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Vanessa: Carbon holds up his hands. "Woah now." He shakes his head and then folds his arms. "That's top secret. I'm not giving away all my secrets to folks not playing on my team. Now, I've actually heard of your service and the heroics that ended it, so I'm already impressed." He paces around his desk. "I'm doing my best to keep every bum and leech out, only taking good, honest workers. I've even got a few mercs from the better camps! Recruitment bounty is the same for you as it is for any soldier, though I can have you leading a squad and swinging at a higher level after some brief training."

He stops at the side of his desk. "But like I said, your starting package is already set. 250 gold for signing up to better this world and maybe you'll be the one testing this equipment, fighting back the last of the bastards that made it, hmm?"

Others: As mentioned earlier, the two guards along the hallways come in and relieve the fellows at the doors, who depart to the west.

Olimar: You gain a +10 to Disguise Checks, matching a smelly set of the Knight colors to your own armor, completing the look.

Lefty: If you don one of the other sets of smelly colors, you'll get a +5 to Disguise. There's half-plate in the room you picked the lock on that can complete the look for +10, but entails wearing Half-Plate for +8 AC, -7 Armor Check and slowing down to 20 ft movement. It's also cumbersome to remove and equip.

P'ui: Your Face In The Crowd functions as normal, granting you an excellent disguise at a distance.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa frowns at Carbon.
"At least tell me it's not illithid magic, alright? I don't even care what it is, as long as it's not that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I wasn't planning on using face in the crowd for this, just disguise self as the spell. As long as I am not trying to replicate a specific individual or interact directly with the guards, they shouldn't have any cause to suspect me (and thus get a save). Face in the Crowd's 1/min a day right now so I'm loathe to immediately use it.

• Locked thread