Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

How the hell did that manage to happen? I understand the glue coming loose but how would the solder come off? Maybe the person just did the oven trick and hoped for the best?

I suppose it's possible but it lasted for well over a year before issues started cropping up, and one of the eyes is still perfect. Also, it went from working to not working while sitting on a shelf, not being used, so it's not like the connections would have been jostled loose.

Basically :iiam: until someone can open it up and peek around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Apologies for the double post, but this needs to be seen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121062811693

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

^^ Earthbound box not in mint condition, 3/10. Seriously though that's quite the collection.

Also just realized that the dude's in Italy; it's frankly impressive he got that much stuff systematically shipped in without it getting stolen.

Weirdly, there seems to be a lot more 72-to-60 pin NES-to-Famicom adapters on eBay than the other way around; did everyone just spontaneously decide to get their adapter fix via that batch of official Nintendo converters? The only other ones I found come from Venezuela and are more expensive than getting the official NES converters unless I buy 100 of them (only 2 grand!)

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 7, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

That was me, there should be an adapter that fits famicom in the set as I use it for my twin famicom.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
retrogamecave also has adapters for famicom / av fami that are a little less and work worldwide (with appropriate regional adapter).

He's also working on a duo one for the famicom and disk system

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

zenintrude posted:

These are the depths of insanity I can merely aspire to :swoon:.

I just can't believe he didn't attempt some kind of cataloging system just to avoid repeats or for organizational purposes alone. People look at me weird for alphabetizing my stuff from 2600 to 360 but at least I can find what I want when I want to. The master list is often a month or two out of date but keeping it still helps. No, I do not need Human Canonball, I already have it, excuse me while I rearrange my cartridges to fit in Discs of Tron and Burgertime :downs:!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
One of the best retro podcasts I ever listened to was the two-part SNES retrospective done by 8>4 Play. Look for it in their archives

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/2/

And like others have said, Retronauts is also awesome. I just wish they'd update more regularly, it's been a while!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

zenintrude posted:

I really love the packaging/art work for the Square millennium collection.

FFT came with a pack of playing cards and a clock. Xenogears had an Elly figure. Front Mission 3 has little Wanzer keychains, Saga Frontier II had a teacup/saucer/t-shirt. Oddly enough.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 7, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

loving hell, does Rakuten auction not let you use non-Japanese credit cards? I've tried three different ones on an auction to ship using Tenso and it's refused me every time. Am I missing something obvious or am I just SOL? Get an ESC-TRD-01529 at the last step with a Japanese message that basically says "Welp, this isn't happening" and doesn't give me further details.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

univbee posted:

loving hell, does Rakuten auction not let you use non-Japanese credit cards? I've tried three different ones on an auction to ship using Tenso and it's refused me every time. Am I missing something obvious or am I just SOL? Get an ESC-TRD-01529 at the last step with a Japanese message that basically says "Welp, this isn't happening" and doesn't give me further details.

I use a Visa verified debit card as my primary (and only) way of online payment and it has not once bounced back. I've only ever bought stuff from Surugaya through Rakuten, though.

Could it be an issue with your billing address and shipping address being in two different countries? I know I had trouble with using Borderlinx with US Amazon in the past and the reason was what I suggested.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Midnight Raider posted:

I'm interested in the answer here as well, and I'll tack on my own supplemental question: What are some good retro game podcasts? Or maybe even not-so-good retro game podcasts. Podcasts are the only thing to keep me sane at work, so I'm desperate for as much time as can be filled by people talking about things I'm interested in, even if they're not great at it.

There is a really good Goon-run podcast called Watch Out For Fireballs! which I would highly recommend.

https://www.duckfeed.tv/watchoutforfireballs/

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Sexy Slippers posted:

Care to share where you got it from so I can one or three as a presents?

Got them off taobao.com

Good luck navigating that site. Unless you know chinese or have a chinese friend to help you, you'll need google chrome and have it automatically translate every page. And then you need an agent to order the stuff and send it to you (kinda like Tenso, I guess). I use zarmark for that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I'm going here today after work http://www.yelp.com/biz/people-play-games-chicago

...and I'm in Chicago so was wondering if anyone knew of other good places to check out for systems/games as I got a shitton of room in my suitcase.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

jyrque posted:

I use a Visa verified debit card as my primary (and only) way of online payment and it has not once bounced back. I've only ever bought stuff from Surugaya through Rakuten, though.

Could it be an issue with your billing address and shipping address being in two different countries? I know I had trouble with using Borderlinx with US Amazon in the past and the reason was what I suggested.

Rakuten auctions are a separate thing. Surugaya is a Rakuten Storefront.

For auctions you're probably better off getting a proxy bidding service like Celga.

Also got word back from Tenso. They're blaming the packing mishap on US Customs and gave me a please and thank you for using the service.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 7, 2013

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Also got word back from Tenso. They're blaming the packing mishap on US Customs and gave me a please and thank you for using the service.

Well, I really doubt that's the US Customs fault, and they would never remove that kind of packaging. It's good that your item isn't damaged, but if this were, well, anything else it'd probably be hosed.

There's no shipping company on this planet that wouldn't just fire someone outright for that packaging job.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

So I'm going here today after work http://www.yelp.com/biz/people-play-games-chicago

...and I'm in Chicago so was wondering if anyone knew of other good places to check out for systems/games as I got a shitton of room in my suitcase.

I wouldn't count on it. Every time I go to New York to see the family I request a good retro game store no one replies :*(

When is FF6 going to have something in the Millennium Collection? I need an excuse to buy another copy of that game.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Here's a quick video I made of the GB Boy Colour. It was kinda difficult to do, as I don't have a tripod. So, I sandwiched my iphone between two books, and that seemed to work. Also, my mouth breathing there is a product of Texas allergy season. :argh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YwS42Kgsks&feature=youtu.be

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Keyboard Kid posted:

Well, I really doubt that's the US Customs fault, and they would never remove that kind of packaging. It's good that your item isn't damaged, but if this were, well, anything else it'd probably be hosed.

There's no shipping company on this planet that wouldn't just fire someone outright for that packaging job.

I work at a company that works with a lot of major US freight/ground companies, and hoo boy let me tell you... I mean that's kind of extreme, but we've seen some seriously bad packing jobs.

Of course a lot of it is the vendors not packing poo poo right and the shipping companies not really enforcing packing standards, leaving it up to us to follow up on when the customer is like "uhhh I don't recall ordering a box of broken glass and bent metal"

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

fatpat268 posted:

Here's a quick video I made of the GB Boy Colour. It was kinda difficult to do, as I don't have a tripod. So, I sandwiched my iphone between two books, and that seemed to work. Also, my mouth breathing there is a product of Texas allergy season. :argh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YwS42Kgsks&feature=youtu.be

God drat I wanna play one/crack it open/see what's on the board

Just out of curiosity (and because I don't have a backlit SP) can you take a picture of a game on the two side by side?

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 7, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

When is FF6 going to have something in the Millennium Collection? I need an excuse to buy another copy of that game.

They're about 13 years late one that one.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
How many times have people here added stuff like package insurance to their import orders? Is stuff like that worth the 18 bucks extra if the package is just coming from Japan to America?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

How many times have people here added stuff like package insurance to their import orders? Is stuff like that worth the 18 bucks extra if the package is just coming from Japan to America?

18 dollars? It should be 50 yen per 20,000 yen.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ems/service/damage_en.html

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I've been testing all of my Dreamcast games for VGA compatibility and I plan on posting a bit about my findings later, but I'll preface it by saying that while Install Gentoo was technically correct that most DC games that aren't tagged to be VGA compatible can be tricked into bypassing their lockout screen, certain games are impossible to play on TVs with VGA ports due to their inability to display 240p over VGA.

Specifically, games I've found that don't work are:

Bangai-O - Licensed by Sega splash screen, menus take up top-right fourth of the screen, game sprites can be seen but background is glitched; unplayable
Caesars Palace 2000 - Licensed by Sega splash screen, Producer/Developer movies play, but black screen displays before game can be played
The Last Blade 2 - Licensed by Sega splash screen, but black screen displays before game can be played
Plasma Sword - Licensed by Sega splash screen, but black screen displays before game can be played

Testing everything also reintroduced me to Slave Zero which I'm finding to be quaint and a whole lot of dumb fun... what ever happened to colored lighting?

[edit] If anyone could test these out on an actual monitor, that would be useful. Thanks.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 7, 2013

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

zenintrude posted:

The fun part is trying to find holes in the collection. As far as I can tell from the pictures since the full list is down due to traffic, the following things are not included:

Athena Virtual Bowling (Virtual Boy)
Pikachu GB Printer
Game Boy Camera: Gold Zelda version

I didn't see a Mega Man X Gamecube controller but I probably wasn't looking hard enough for that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Well I didn't pick it from JGS because it was 18 bucks in total for their Shipping/Tracking/Insurance compared to the 12 bucks for regular shipping. I was only ordering like 30 bucks worth of stuff, it didn't seem like it was worth it for such a small order.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zenintrude posted:

[edit] If anyone could test these out on an actual monitor, that would be useful. Thanks.

All of my TVs with VGA support happen to support odd VGA inputs fine, but then I did tend to get TVs that I knew were good at handling various VGA inputs. v:shobon:v

Of note is that for all 4 games you listed, the PAL versions are completely incompatible with VGA while the NTSC versions will run with problems with the trick.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

zenintrude posted:

univbee posted:

^^ Earthbound box not in mint condition, 3/10.

I came here to post that auction and to make an Earthbound joke, but I guess Zenintrude follows Chris Kohler on twitter too and Univbee simply spends more time in the thread than I do!

What I want to know is how one amasses this much stuff. Of anything. Is this dude just clicking buy-it-now on eBay all day every day or what? Kohler also says that he won't get his asking price of $500k.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Install Gentoo posted:

All of my TVs with VGA support happen to support odd VGA inputs fine, but then I did tend to get TVs that I knew were good at handling various VGA inputs. v:shobon:v

Of note is that for all 4 games you listed, the PAL versions are completely incompatible with VGA while the NTSC versions will run with problems with the trick.

What brand of TV do you have that plays nice with 240p over VGA? I doubt I'm going to run out and buy one but I'd like to know what to look for when I'm out at the flea markets and Goodwills of the world.

Antillese posted:

I guess Zenintrude follows Chris Kohler on twitter too

Eurogamer actually, but who's keeping track :)

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

univbee posted:

The only other ones I found come from Venezuela and are more expensive than getting the official NES converters unless I buy 100 of them (only 2 grand!)
I bought two of them for $30 total a while back from Venezuela. It took well over 2 months for them to make it to the States.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zenintrude posted:

What brand of TV do you have that plays nice with 240p over VGA? I doubt I'm going to run out and buy one but I'd like to know what to look for when I'm out at the flea markets and Goodwills of the world.

A $400 Vizio I got at Best Buy a few years ago and a mid range Samsung from 2009. Both are LCDs of course, and both will take just about any old VGA signal you throw at them that a monitor would.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Install Gentoo posted:

a mid range Samsung from 2009

:psyduck: What the crap... that's literally what I'm using! Specifically the 1080p version of this.

Maybe I need to upgrade my firmware or something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Antillese posted:

What I want to know is how one amasses this much stuff. Of anything. Is this dude just clicking buy-it-now on eBay all day every day or what? Kohler also says that he won't get his asking price of $500k.

Frankly, the asking price and selling it like that is a bad idea. A buyer can't even begin to make a proper appraisal when it's all thrown out there in one lump. Even more than the people who sell the giant complete lots have a better structure than this collection. That auction might as well be "I've got a giant pile of stuff. How about you give me... I dunno... five hundred thousand for it?" My back of the envelope calculations put his collection worth a bit less than $100k.

Presumably he's just trying to get some attention but that's not really effective. People will look at the big lot and then promptly forget about him when he does more reasonable sales.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

My guess is that auction is some elaborate way of showing off while at the same time hoping he gets a crapload more money than the collection is worth by selling it to some dunce with a few extra mansions they can cash in.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zenintrude posted:

:psyduck: What the crap... that's literally what I'm using! Specifically the 1080p version of this.

Maybe I need to upgrade my firmware or something.

Actually I guess mine is from 2007 because it's this model: http://reviews.cnet.com/search-results/samsung-ln-t3253h/4505-5_7-32306314.html

I basically got it a couple years ago trading some computer and game stuff with a friend, so I had no idea what age it actually was. It happens to play nice with all kinds of VGA input for whatever reason.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I love when new old stock of rare video games is found, the people who collect as an investment go nuts.
http://www.wizardvideocollection.com/press-release.html

quote:

Also found in the collection were original boxes of the first horror video games on the planet, from Wizard Video’s sister company, Wizard Video Games. The Atari 2600 game boxes for Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween will be released TBD 2013 from Full Moon. At the time of release, these titles were deemed too violent for children, and were either banned or sold by request-only, making them an extraordinarily rare find as well.

Looking at eBay, original, non-repro carts of Texas Chainsaw Massacre go for about $70 to $200.

Both games are about a "7" rarity on Atari Age's rarity scale
http://www.atariage.com/company_page.html?CompanyID=42&SystemID=2600&SystemFilterID=2600

Looking at the press release, they might be charging $50 per game, which actually probably won't move many units.

edit: Oh, watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsH_-XuPjlg&t=573s they are just the boxes for the games, no games.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

I love when new old stock of rare video games is found, the people who collect as an investment go nuts.
http://www.wizardvideocollection.com/press-release.html

Looking at eBay, original, non-repro carts of Texas Chainsaw Massacre go for about $70 to $200.

Both games are about a "7" rarity on Atari Age's rarity scale
http://www.atariage.com/company_page.html?CompanyID=42&SystemID=2600&SystemFilterID=2600

Looking at the press release, they might be charging $50 per game, which actually probably won't move many units.

edit: Oh, watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsH_-XuPjlg&t=573s they are just the boxes for the games, no games.

Didn't Halloween not have a box or label? I thought they all had sharpie labels with nothing else.

Edit: guess I could have read the atariage link. But still, the halloween box has to be much rarer than the carts.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 8, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So nothing like opening a Game Genie and finding a whole egg sack of dead spiders.

Whats the best tool to cut the plastic edges off so I can fit Super famicom games? I was thinking something simple like a toe nail clipper but the plastic is too thick.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

So nothing like opening a Game Genie and finding a whole egg sack of dead spiders.

Whats the best tool to cut the plastic edges off so I can fit Super famicom games? I was thinking something simple like a toe nail clipper but the plastic is too thick.

Wire cutters should be enough for it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wa27 posted:

Didn't Halloween not have a box or label? I thought they all had sharpie labels with nothing else.

Edit: guess I could have read the atariage link. But still, the halloween box has to be much rarer than the carts.

There's a lot of games released for the 2600 at the time just before and during the crash that would have boxes made but rarely if ever sent to retail with the carts. A result of all the panic and trying to dump off inventory before it got too late.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Can't you just yank the handle thing off the Game Genie's hinge and have Super Famicom games fit fine then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Install Gentoo posted:

Can't you just yank the handle thing off the Game Genie's hinge and have Super Famicom games fit fine then?

Nah it's got the nubs that the interior of the SNES has too.

• Locked thread