Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Take a picture of your lack of sync settings and send it to them on Twitter, maybe see if it's an actual bug or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm trying the other one... Tweetmarker, but yeah. In fact, after a reinstall, it's gone from my iPad now too. Wonder if it's jailbreak related. Odd though...

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Tweetbot has a Read-it-later function, but what do I need to actually be able to use it?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I have it set up with my Instapaper account. I think they might support other read-it-later services as well though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

I'm trying the other one... Tweetmarker, but yeah. In fact, after a reinstall, it's gone from my iPad now too. Wonder if it's jailbreak related. Odd though...
Guessing this isn't it then, but do you have iCloud docs and data (or whatever it's called) enabled in Settings.app?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have some audio-books saved as chaptered mp3 files. Is there an app that would remember my place in these 40 minute tracks, the way Apple's native Podcast app does? Apple's native music player forgets after a while.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have some audio-books saved as chaptered mp3 files. Is there an app that would remember my place in these 40 minute tracks, the way Apple's native Podcast app does? Apple's native music player forgets after a while.

I have a ton of 90 minute loveline episodes that I listen to, and I just use the podcast app for them because of that functionality. Best way to handle it that I've found. Just import the mp3s into itunes and flag them as podcasts, then just drag them onto your phone and they'll show up under podcasts.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Similar to that... any apps that you can use to cup up long audio files into chapters? Got an unabridged copy of Alan Partridge's audiobook. Would love to be able to re-listen to certain chapters.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I vaguely remember some old trick where you could rename m4a files to m4b and it'd treat them as an audiobook. No clue if that still works these days.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else download the new Mailbox.app?

It looks cool, but activation is based on a reservation system. I have 34,000 people in front of me and 300,000 behind me. It updates in real time. It gave me a chuckle. :)

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Downloading...is this supposed to be better than the Gmail app, because it's already really slick.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Feenix posted:

Anyone else download the new Mailbox.app?

It looks cool, but activation is based on a reservation system. I have 34,000 people in front of me and 300,000 behind me. It updates in real time. It gave me a chuckle. :)

I'm at 299,685

Moving at a snails pace.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Geez, I just deleted all my texts yesterday, lost my code. haha, oh well.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What's so special about this email app?

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he

PaganGoatPants posted:

What's so special about this email app?

Check out the webpage and see if it's something you would like.

http://www.mailboxapp.com/

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bobdigi posted:

Check out the webpage and see if it's something you would like.

http://www.mailboxapp.com/

Looks pretty sexy. Only 400k people ahead of me. I wonder how they'll make money. They seem to have the word of mouth on full blast.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

No iPad support? :(

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

NZP posted:

Similar to that... any apps that you can use to cup up long audio files into chapters? Got an unabridged copy of Alan Partridge's audiobook. Would love to be able to re-listen to certain chapters.

I'm not sure if the iOS version will do it but I do know the full size Garage Band can add chapter markers very easily, and then you can import it into iTunes as an audiobook and profit.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 8, 2013

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Looks pretty sexy. Only 400k people ahead of me. I wonder how they'll make money. They seem to have the word of mouth on full blast.

Supposedly the base app will stay free and somewhere down the line the devs plan to introduce 'freemium' features that they haven't revealed yet.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bazaar apparatus posted:

Supposedly the base app will stay free and somewhere down the line the devs plan to introduce 'freemium' features that they haven't revealed yet.

I've moved about 30 places in 3 hours so I doubt I'll even get to try at this rate.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Mailbox looks good but I almost want to just not download it ever because of their douchey way of creating hype by making people wait in line.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

PaganGoatPants posted:

I've moved about 30 places in 3 hours so I doubt I'll even get to try at this rate.

Same here. There are like 400k people ahead of me and it's moving so slow that I might as well just wait until they release it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So they claim they will be ramping up invites as things go... But I agree, I've moved about 800 places today and at even 2 times that rate, that's 2 weeks. Don't have an app sit useless on my phone for 15 days. That just seems silly.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

roboshit posted:

Mailbox looks good but I almost want to just not download it ever because of their douchey way of creating hype by making people wait in line.

You could just ignore it until they've completely ramped up and opened it to everyone. Just a thought.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Feenix posted:

So they claim they will be ramping up invites as things go... But I agree, I've moved about 800 places today and at even 2 times that rate, that's 2 weeks. Don't have an app sit useless on my phone for 15 days. That just seems silly.

Yeah pretty much. I'll let it sit there since I have a lot of free space right now but I'm not expecting to get in before they release it. And it is pretty silly. I understand why they're doing this but it's just way too slow. I mean Christ.

Anyway, WolframAlpha is on sale.

e: about Mailbox

quote:

Originally, Mailbox planned to charge $3 for the app, but that changed after its debut video attracted more than 1 million views. “We originated too much interest too fast,” Underwood said.

So instead of charging on day one and potentially crashing its servers (which would greatly damage the brand), the team decided to make the app free but give people access at a slower rate.

“We just walked away from a lot of cash to do this, so we want to do it right,” Underwood said.

[...]

In fact, Underwood said that his team ran into a problem with “sockets” this morning that no doubt would have crashed the app today if everyone on the wait list had access to it. “It would have fallen over,” Underwood said.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/07/mailbox-app-iphone-wait-list/

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 8, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They just sound like a douchey bunch of tools.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'd rather pay $3 than wait weeks to try an app. Oh well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For a drat mail reader. Managing email has sucked for as long as it's existed, it's just a new bow on an old pile of poo poo.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I got turned off by the idea of having to go through them in the first place so I haven't really looked into it. Do you give them your email account credentials or does gmail have some third party access thing now for stuff like this?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
So is there a latest and greatest in the world of news apps recently for iPad, like Summly for iPhone?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

japtor posted:

I got turned off by the idea of having to go through them in the first place so I haven't really looked into it. Do you give them your email account credentials or does gmail have some third party access thing now for stuff like this?
This is from their privacy page:

quote:

Mailbox is designed to help you manage your email account with other providers, like Gmail. When you link your email accounts (provided by third parties) to Mailbox, you give Mailbox permission to securely access your information contained in or associated with those accounts. If you link your third party account to Mailbox, that third party may also pass certain information along about your use of its service. While Mailbox does not store your password to these email accounts, the service does securely store some emails on a temporary basis in order to deliver them to you as quickly as possible and keep track of your deferred messages.

http://www.mailboxapp.com/privacy/

I use 2-step verification for my Google account anyway so I think in my case I'd be creating an application specific password for Mailbox as opposed to giving them my actual account password, but who knows.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

the kawaiiest posted:

I'd rather pay $3 than wait weeks to try an app. Oh well.

Me too. Really not sure why they didn't charge right away.

Anyway is there a good Craigslist app out there?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

japtor posted:

It's basically the same thing as Sanebox, which owns. I've still got like 300,000 in front of me in line, but I'm curious to see how it plays with people already using Sanebox to manage their inbox/folders.

geera
May 20, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

The reason they did it this way was to avoid a total meltdown of their servers when 500k+ people downloaded the app the second it was released on the App Store. By releasing it for free, they can control the rate of signups without people freaking out that they paid $3 for an app that they can't use.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

geera posted:

The reason they did it this way was to avoid a total meltdown of their servers when 500k+ people downloaded the app the second it was released on the App Store. By releasing it for free, they can control the rate of signups without people freaking out that they paid $3 for an app that they can't use.

There probably wouldn't have been 500k+ downloads in the first day if people had to pay for it though. Giving it away for free only ensures that more people will download it, and most of them will be disappointed when they can't actually use the app. Plus it's obviously going to be a lot harder for them to make money on it now.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You get a notification and keep using what you've been using for e-mail until then. It's e-mail. It's free. To me it looks cool to try and it really doesn't need to be now. Nobody is going to be disappointed or otherwise feeling any negative emotions about this unless...I don't know what. Insert whatever derogatory term for nerd you want.

These apple threads, sometimes...

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

It took me a while to notice but the mobile version of the site is linked at the bottom of the page and it's pretty nice.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kloa posted:

It took me a while to notice but the mobile version of the site is linked at the bottom of the page and it's pretty nice.

Cool, that'll work.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just expect Mailbox to get bought by google or apple and then the app dies on the vine just like Sparrow. At least we won't be paying for them to showcase for investors this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

priznat posted:

I just expect Mailbox to get bought by google or apple and then the app dies on the vine just like Sparrow. At least we won't be paying for them to showcase for investors this time!

This is what I'm afraid of, especially now that they're giving the app away for free. Sparrow was great, but they weren't able to sustain the business even charging for the app.

They've definitely picked up the pace with activations today though.

• Locked thread