Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
How do y'all like my GBC haul today?

Cho Gals! Kotobuki Ran 2
Choplifter II
James Bond 007 CIB
Macross 7 - Ginga no Heart o Furuwasero!!
Perfect Dark
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Project S-11
R-Type DX
Tamagotchi (JP)
Tomb Raider (lol)
Wario Land II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

ACID POLICE posted:

How do y'all like my GBC haul today?

Choplifter II
James Bond 007 CIB
Perfect Dark
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
R-Type DX
Wario Land II

I APPROVE.

Still need to pick up James Bond some day. I played the hell out of my uncle's copy of Choplifter II, and will probably cave and get the PSN game sometime.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I don't remember who was asking about a database of SNES covers five or so pages ago, but you should keep an eye on SNES Central. Byuu finished up his collection of every game, box, and manual and is working on getting images out to Snes Central for hosting. Gonna be awesome to get full scans of every manual and box for those hard to find games!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

So nothing like opening a Game Genie and finding a whole egg sack of dead spiders.

Nintendo Power warned you about using unlicensed peripherals. :colbert:

aaand I'm now a member of the Sega Saturn club.

univbee fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 8, 2013

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've scrubbed it all the connectors, disabled the lockout chip, replaced the 72 pin connector, but still my NES refuses to work. In retrospect, it's probably been a long time coming (it was submerged under 8 feet of water when my basement flooded after the blizzard of 96), but at least I gave it the old college try. Now it's time to let my old friend go, and decide if the reliabilty of a top-loader is worth an rf connection...

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Ambitious Spider posted:

I've scrubbed it all the connectors, disabled the lockout chip, replaced the 72 pin connector, but still my NES refuses to work. In retrospect, it's probably been a long time coming (it was submerged under 8 feet of water when my basement flooded after the blizzard of 96), but at least I gave it the old college try. Now it's time to let my old friend go, and decide if the reliabilty of a top-loader is worth an rf connection...

You can always pay someone to AV mod it or do it your self if you can't stand the RF connection.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Ambitious Spider posted:

Now all you need to do is decide whether you want to hold a funeral and bury it in the back yard, or pull a Frankenstein and put a miniature PC inside the case or something.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly the 72-pin connector isn't as bad as it seems sometimes, the thing isn't too hard to deal with once you've watched a good tutorial video.
The Toploader needs more than an AV Mod, it also needs the Expansion Audio Mod applied the "hard way" while the Frontloader has a very easy method.

If you'd seriously go as far as to spend the money on a US Toploader, I'd consider going the small step further for an AV Famicom + 72->60 converter.
But a Toaster is by far the most economic option, since they can usually be found cheap.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Asbrandt posted:

Honestly the 72-pin connector isn't as bad as it seems sometimes, the thing isn't too hard to deal with once you've watched a good tutorial video.
The Toploader needs more than an AV Mod, it also needs the Expansion Audio Mod applied the "hard way" while the Frontloader has a very easy method.

If you'd seriously go as far as to spend the money on a US Toploader, I'd consider going the small step further for an AV Famicom + 72->60 converter.
But a Toaster is by far the most economic option, since they can usually be found cheap.

Yea. Installing a 72 pin connector wasn't the problem (I broke the old one trying to just fix the pins) it's that I just kept getting a white screen. It worked for a while when I put another cart on top to hold it down, but then that stopped working and nothing seems to solve the problem. I found a guy selling a/v modded top loaders on ebay, so I might grab one of them when I have the spare funds.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Hey just out of curiosity but does the Sega Saturn use any of the Genesis AV cables? I know the power cord is the same as the Playstation 2's.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Well, with the Famicom Everdrive out and the NES version coming soon (or even with the use of 60->72 converters) the Expansion Audio is also important.
Games such as Gimmick or the JP version of Castlevania 3 need it to have the full sound they produce.

The Audio mod isn't too hard, especially if you'll only be using a NES Everdrive/Powerpak and not any converters, but it's something to be aware of.

Edit:

WendigoJohnson posted:

Hey just out of curiosity but does the Sega Saturn use any of the Genesis AV cables? I know the power cord is the same as the Playstation 2's.

If memory serves the Saturn uses a din connector that has more pins than the Genesis does, to accommodate the S-Video that the Saturn has but the Genesis lacks.

Asbrandt fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 8, 2013

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I was rummaging around in my dad's basement today and came upon a pretty cool Nintendo Sticker Book. Too bad 5-year-old me was a total trainwreck to it:

Full album of the horrible-mangled inside: http://imgur.com/a/9mVY3

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD

shymog posted:

Ahhh Bermuda Triangle. Fond, frustrating memories.

edit: Nope. I'm thinking of Cobra Triangle. Woops.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

shymog posted:

The Double Dragoning of Excitebike amuses me.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

zari-gani posted:

The Double Dragoning of Excitebike amuses me.

I'm pretty sure if I would have Double Dragoned everything at that age. I didn't play Excitebike other than renting it, but I convinced my dad to buy every Double Dragon.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

shymog posted:

I was rummaging around in my dad's basement today and came upon a pretty cool Nintendo Sticker Book. Too bad 5-year-old me was a total trainwreck to it:

Thanks for posting these. :D I had some of these stickers back in the day, but not the book (punch out, mario bros and zelda i think).

I also got given some of the badges pins, like these. I still probably have them at my dad's house.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nintendo...=1#ht_500wt_805

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Super-Ma...#ht_1529wt_1024

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

the_lion posted:

Thanks for posting these. :D I had some of these stickers back in the day, but not the book (punch out, mario bros and zelda i think).

I also got given some of the badges pins, like these. I still probably have them at my dad's house.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nintendo...=1#ht_500wt_805

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Super-Ma...#ht_1529wt_1024

Those pins are awesome. I have a couple of those kinds of Nintendo pins in the last two pics in this album (along with some other neat old memorabilia): http://imgur.com/a/UWYyN

Digging around through old stuff is awesome, especially when your parent is awesome (and a huge packrat).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So I got the D-Terminal to component cable for the XRGB-mini today and after a few setting tweaks for PS2 games.... Oh my god. Everyone should own this loving thing. Obviously not talking PCSX2 level quality, but it really beats the poo poo of hooking the PS2 directly to the TV on component for flatscreens.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Ok so my idea of using an Augmented Reality translator worked for abit by sticking the ipad near the TV and having it decode the japanese text boxes. It gave a pretty accurate translation, devoid of gibberish. Unfortunetly the app nolonger seems to be working for whatever reason and started crashing upon loadup.

Does anyone know of any similar apps, I tried Google Goggles but it appears to need to take a picture instead of doing it in real time.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

shymog posted:

What an incredible brawl taking place on the motocross track

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

shymog posted:

Yep, I'm old; I remember back in 1995 when these were like $2 at Toys'R'Us.

Got one; if I wasn't a high schooler I woulda invested! (I got the majority of the quantity of my NES collection by using the clearance sales of Blockbuster rental games of the mid '90s. Flintstones 2 for $5 :neckbeard: tho that still ain't my best NES deal ever; that'd be Hot Slots for $3 at a pawn shop in '97)

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 8, 2013

Tumor Baby
Sep 9, 2011

SUPER HASSLER posted:

(I got the majority of the quantity of my NES collection by using the clearance sales of Blockbuster rental games of the mid '90s. Flintstones 2 for $5 :neckbeard: tho that still ain't my best NES deal ever; that'd be Hot Slots for $3 at a pawn shop in '97)

That's how I got a few of my SNES gems: Blockbuster was clearing out a huge section of their 16-bit titles during the N64 transition months, so I got Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island and Tetris Attack out of that deal. Pretty sure I didn't pay more than $8 for any one of them.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

shymog posted:

I know everyone's talking about the Double Dragon and ExciteBike page, but the Ikari Warriors/Iron Tank and Soccer page is so much better IMO. I bet if you put Rambo-style dudes with machine guns and tanks on a soccer field, the sport would finally become popular here in the US. :patriot:

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

fatpat268 posted:

Got them off taobao.com

Good luck navigating that site. Unless you know chinese or have a chinese friend to help you, you'll need google chrome and have it automatically translate every page. And then you need an agent to order the stuff and send it to you (kinda like Tenso, I guess). I use zarmark for that.

Do you have a link to them? I've spent half an hour and found a lot of PSP and Wii knock offs, but none of these.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

So I thought I'd get in some more functional soldering practice by repairing the wires of some cheap headphones, intentionally cut since I needed to shorten them anyway. As I'm trying to slowly build my way up to doing things on actual retro electronics.

It turns out I couldn't even actually get to the soldering stage, because no matter what wires I braided together or burned enamel off of, I could NOT get any of them to actually work again after cutting them. Grounds together, sound wires together, two aforementioned groups carefully seperated, but nothing. Mashing a few random wires bunches together got a bit of sound working, but I could never duplicated it in any clean or consistent way.

:negative: RIP, two sets of dollar store earbuds, you taught me a vital lesson that I am just not good at electronics.

Tumor Baby posted:

That's how I got a few of my SNES gems: Blockbuster was clearing out a huge section of their 16-bit titles during the N64 transition months, so I got Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island and Tetris Attack out of that deal. Pretty sure I didn't pay more than $8 for any one of them.

:hfive: I got my copy of Super Mario RPG from a Hollywood Video SNES cleanout, along with an Illusion of Gaia which even still had the instruction manual/mini-guide, somehow. Too bad trying to remove the giant glaring labels ended up removing half of the cart's title stickers as well.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

univbee posted:

Nintendo Power warned you about using unlicensed peripherals. :colbert:

aaand I'm now a member of the Sega Saturn club.
It took you long enough, but welcome to the best D pad in the world. Also, get a pro action replay and learn Japanese.
http://youtu.be/w2QRIWdNtxY

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

When you say "arcade perfect", how perfect do you really mean? Space Harrier is seriously one of my all-time favorites, and as far as I've been aware, there's never been a good port of it (with the possible exception of something in the last couple generations that I might have missed.)

It's all about the audio and video. It looks really good coming out of Shenmue too but even then it's emulated and the output that should be all fuzzy is all blocky. The 32X version at least can use it's PWM to play raw/wav audio clips.
It's not as extreme as the difference between Knuckles Chaotix on an emulator vs real system but the looks and sounds are both very different.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

WendigoJohnson posted:

Ok so my idea of using an Augmented Reality translator worked for abit by sticking the ipad near the TV and having it decode the japanese text boxes. It gave a pretty accurate translation, devoid of gibberish. Unfortunetly the app nolonger seems to be working for whatever reason and started crashing upon loadup.

Does anyone know of any similar apps, I tried Google Goggles but it appears to need to take a picture instead of doing it in real time.

What app were you using before? I would like to give this idea a shot, too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Here's a cool interview with Joe Miller, who used to work at Sega America during the Genesis days. It has some interesting info on how the company ran, Sega Channel, etc.

e:

quote:

Joe Miller: What we did do with the SVP chip, which I don’t think a lot of people realize, is that we had a fully working level of Virtua Fighter running on that chip. That never shipped, and it ended up being saved for Saturn, obviously.

Sega-16: Was it related, in terms of development, to the 32X version?

Joe Miller: Actually, it was. It was done about the same time, and instead of shipping it on the SVP after Virtua Racing, the decision was made to just port it straight over to the 32X. The 32X was capable of a much higher poly count and it felt very much like the coin-up.

Kind of explains a little of why the Saturn version of VF1 is rear end compared to the 32X version.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 8, 2013

Humpback Or Front
Jun 18, 2006
This thread is bad I keep buying stuff I don't need like a sony wega 28inch CRT and Rush 2049 for the dreamcast after remembering all the fun i had on the N64 version.

Install Gentoo posted:

All of my TVs with VGA support happen to support odd VGA inputs fine, but then I did tend to get TVs that I knew were good at handling various VGA inputs. v:shobon:v

Of note is that for all 4 games you listed, the PAL versions are completely incompatible with VGA while the NTSC versions will run with problems with the trick.

Hey Install Gentoo bring me out of my lurking! I PM'ed you about hopefully grabbing a working sega cdx. Would love one if you have one spare

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Light Gun Man posted:

What app were you using before? I would like to give this idea a shot, too.

I was using Japan Goggles. I was only able to test it on an LED TV though and I was not able to yet test it on a CRT which has a much slower refresh rate.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 8, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

chompy2 posted:

Rush 2049 for the dreamcast

You chose well... enjoy better-than-arcade perfection.

[edit] vvv Ok, edited vvv

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zenintrude posted:

You chose well... enjoy arcade perfection.

It's not a perfect port of the arcade version though. It looks arcade perfect but all the home versions include the glider wings which the arcade lacked. :science:

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 8, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Midnight Raider posted:

So I thought I'd get in some more functional soldering practice by repairing the wires of some cheap headphones, intentionally cut since I needed to shorten them anyway. As I'm trying to slowly build my way up to doing things on actual retro electronics.

It turns out I couldn't even actually get to the soldering stage, because no matter what wires I braided together or burned enamel off of, I could NOT get any of them to actually work again after cutting them. Grounds together, sound wires together, two aforementioned groups carefully seperated, but nothing. Mashing a few random wires bunches together got a bit of sound working, but I could never duplicated it in any clean or consistent way.

:negative: RIP, two sets of dollar store earbuds, you taught me a vital lesson that I am just not good at electronics.

Goddamn, I was going to try some similar modding of my own and will probably break everything. Thanks for the practice idea, though, definitely better that than destroying an expensive console.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Has anyone that has ordered from Rakuten before had their stuff waiting awhile in U.S. customs? It's been 3 days now that every time I check the status on the USPS site, my stuff is still being processed.

I've imported stuff from eBay and Play-Asia before without getting stuck in customs. Just not sure if this is the standard MO for Rakuten orders or if I just drew the short straw.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

univbee posted:

Goddamn, I was going to try some similar modding of my own and will probably break everything. Thanks for the practice idea, though, definitely better that than destroying an expensive console.

For what it's worth, those cheap dollar store earbuds aren't really meant to be fixed like that. If you want practical experience, go to a good will, find some cheap electronic thing, tear it apart and have fun. Desolder some chips, wire small pins together, etc.

iastudent posted:

Has anyone that has ordered from Rakuten before had their stuff waiting awhile in U.S. customs? It's been 3 days now that every time I check the status on the USPS site, my stuff is still being processed.

I've imported stuff from eBay and Play-Asia before without getting stuck in customs. Just not sure if this is the standard MO for Rakuten orders or if I just drew the short straw.

Customs is a crap shot. Sometimes super fast, sometimes not.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chompy2 posted:

Hey Install Gentoo bring me out of my lurking! I PM'ed you about hopefully grabbing a working sega cdx. Would love one if you have one spare

zenintrude should have my CDX either now or very soon. Sorry, only had the one.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Steampunk ruins everything.

Technowrite fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 8, 2013

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Many children will take a cardboard box and make it into a spaceship with a nothing but a sharpie. Steampunk is the adult evolution of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

midge posted:

Many children will take a cardboard box and make it into a spaceship with a nothing but a sharpie. Steampunk is the adult evolution of this.

It's actually the exact opposite... steampunkers (is that the preferred term?) take spaceships and turn them into boxes.

• Locked thread