Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
For what it's worth Eliwood looks a hell of a lot like Roy cause he's his dad. (Also Eliwood winds up being not-quite-a-paladin and Roy needs a bullshit cheaty sword to be worth a poo poo, but, hey). FE7 was FE6's prequel.

A small thing I didn't notice until I checked out some of the official art: kids will inherit dad's hair color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Bongo Bill posted:

Rookie mistake. Roy's not in FE7; that is a prequel to the one he was in, which we never got. Not to say you shouldn't check it out, though.
Roy is totally in FE7. At the very, very end. As a six year old or something.

Another great thing about Awakening is it's killed the "are Marth and Roy in this game?" meme dead. Because yes, they both are. Right now even.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I just about died laughing when I realized the first recruitable characters were Roy and Marth.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Watch me bang my head against a brick wall. Again. And again. And again. Turns out on chapter 3 of Lunatic+, the units start getting Aegis and Counter.

http://www.twitch.tv/roguelike

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nakar posted:

Another great thing about Awakening is it's killed the "are Marth and Roy in this game?" meme dead. Because yes, they both are. Right now even.
drat, now I want to pair them up in my next playthrough. I realize conversations would be silly but it'd still be nice if DLC characters could have supports, just without conversations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

drat, now I want to pair them up in my next playthrough. I realize conversations would be silly but it'd still be nice if DLC characters could have supports, just without conversations.

It's really hard to want to use the DLC characters given how effective supports are. Maybe if you were doing an intentionally more difficult run or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I really wish they gave them generic supports or something, or at least let them support The Avatar.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Sorry if this has been asked already, but regarding the non-story battles that pop up occasionally on the overworld: Is there a set point in the game for each one to appear, or are they reliant on the system clock? I had my system in sleep mode overnight, and when I opened it up this morning, another battle icon appeared right away.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They pop up randomly. I think a lot of things can make them show up, but there's no 'set point' for it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I just about died laughing when I realized the first recruitable characters were Roy and Marth.

And the last Spotpass Paralogue recruitable character is Ike's great-great-great-great-grandson.

Also, a bit old but

Green Bean posted:

The child characters in this game are amazing. Hello Inigo with Galeforce, Aether, Royal Weapon, and Lethality. :getin:

Wait what? Male children only inherit Rightful King(Royal Weapon), and Inigo doesn't gain Lord/Great Lord so where the hell did Aether come from?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 8, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
e: Quote =/= Edit

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hooray, finally got my system. Gonna be murdering dudes as soon as I do all this system transfer stuff. A shame it's not as adorable as the Wii U system transfer animation.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Quick note vets and newbies, promote somewhat earlier in this game then others. Do it on level 15 instead of twenty. Because Reclassing is both a thing and in order to abuse the skill system waiting around for five empty levels and having to get extra exp in top of that thanks to power creep for the skills that will make your character awesome is a bad idea.

After I get Rally Spectrum I'm going to reclass into an Assassin so I can get lethality then reclass back into Grand Tactician after a few levels to abuse my magic stats.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I sincerely hope that Nintendo replaces Marth with Lucina (oh god this is a terribly done spoiler, read it after Chapter 6 or so) in the next Smash Bros.

Quick question: Does Chrom have to know his Lvl. 15 Great Lord skill before all that stuff in Chapter 11 so Lucina can inherit Aether or is there a different cut-out chapter/Paralogue?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Calaveron posted:

I sincerely hope that Nintendo replaces Marth with Lucina (oh god this is a terribly done spoiler, read it after Chapter 6 or so) in the next Smash Bros.

Quick question: Does Chrom have to know his Lvl. 15 Great Lord skill before all that stuff in Chapter 11 so Lucina can inherit Aether or is there a different cut-out chapter/Paralogue?

For Chrom's children, the men get Royal Weapon and the women get Aether regardless of the skills Chrom has.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So Cherche and Henry's support is adorable as gently caress. Well written too.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Calaveron posted:

Obviously the solution is to make it a combo character ala Zelda/Shiek.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My idea for the FE13 character in Smash was to have Chrom and the Tactician working together Ice Climbers style. Only you can switch between them.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Is anybody going to be doing a LP of this game? I really can't wait until April to play :3:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Miftan posted:

Is anybody going to be doing a LP of this game? I really can't wait until April to play :3:

Forum rules prevent anyone from LPing this game until May 4.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Miftan posted:

Even if they were, three month rule says we can't until May. And no, I'm not going to be the one to do it, despite what everyone seems to assume.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Endorph posted:

My idea for the FE13 character in Smash was to have Chrom and the Tactician working together Ice Climbers style. Only you can switch between them.

This is the best idea. They are Paired Up! hahaha.

This game makes me really excited for a second power-gaming play through. I'm just loving the first one for story and seeing all the supports (as well as getting used to FE playstyle again) but man to make some super broken chars is going to be so much fun :)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Artix74 posted:

Even if they were, three month rule says we can't until May. And no, I'm not going to be the one to do it, despite what everyone seems to assume.

Roguelike is already tackling Lunatic+ and I'm sure Cheetah[numbers] has probably cleared it in the Japanese version so maybe one of them will be up for it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Paralogue 17. Avatar died to the literal last enemy because she unluckily killed the two silver lance-wielding enemies who attacked her, resulting in getting slammed by silver lances four times. Goddammit, Cordelia, why did you Dual Strike the one who could have lived. :suicide:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Undead Unicorn posted:

Quick note vets and newbies, promote somewhat earlier in this game then others. Do it on level 15 instead of twenty. Because Reclassing is both a thing and in order to abuse the skill system waiting around for five empty levels and having to get extra exp in top of that thanks to power creep for the skills that will make your character awesome is a bad idea.

After I get Rally Spectrum I'm going to reclass into an Assassin so I can get lethality then reclass back into Grand Tactician after a few levels to abuse my magic stats.

Grandmaster isn't that great of a class once you have all of the (admittedly fantastic) skills. Dark Knight and Flier give superior movement and Sorcerer has access to the ridiculously broken dark magic tomes. Lethality is also pretty weak, since the activation is so low and Avatar doesn't have problems killing things. If you want a damage boosting skill just use Ignis or maybe Luna or just go Sage for Tomefaire. Pass is pretty fantastic though, so it's not a terrible idea to go Assassin for a bit if you don't mind losing your best weapon type.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So on that note, what class are people keeping their Avatars in? After you've gotten all your skills do you go back to Grandmaster so you can use swords and tomes again? Just going with some straight magic or phys class?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

ChiTownEddie posted:

So on that note, what class are people keeping their Avatars in? After you've gotten all your skills do you go back to Grandmaster so you can use swords and tomes again? Just going with some straight magic or phys class?

I've just been sticking with Sorcerer. I've gotten much more use out of magic with my Avatar than I have with swords- mostly because there's a ton of characters I've got that are good and swordy but all my magic users tend to die- but I did make STR my bad stat and MGC my best. So that's probably gonna vary for most people.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

WrightOfWay posted:

Grandmaster isn't that great of a class once you have all of the (admittedly fantastic) skills. Dark Knight and Flier give superior movement and Sorcerer has access to the ridiculously broken dark magic tomes. Lethality is also pretty weak, since the activation is so low and Avatar doesn't have problems killing things. If you want a damage boosting skill just use Ignis or maybe Luna or just go Sage for Tomefaire. Pass is pretty fantastic though, so it's not a terrible idea to go Assassin for a bit if you don't mind losing your best weapon type.

Grandmaster actually has excellent caps (40 across the board except for Luck which is 45 for the Avatar, plus or minus customization adjustments). Dark Flier has a lovely defense cap, Sorcerer can only use tomes which limits you a lot, and Assassin has lovely defense AND resistance caps. Dark Knight is extremely good, though: slightly worse Strength and Resistance caps for slightly better Magic and Defense caps (still a -1 net over Grandmaster though) and can use both swords and tomes.

Dark Knight is probably the best "final" class for most characters who can take it. Mobile, versatile equipment, balanced stat growths, good caps across the board, only weak to one effective weapon type (except for Nowi/Nah as Dark Knights of course).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I had my avatar in Dark Knight. Lots of move, good defenses, and still uses swords and tomes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lotish posted:

Roguelike is already tackling Lunatic+ and I'm sure Cheetah[numbers] has probably cleared it in the Japanese version so maybe one of them will be up for it.

See the problem with this is I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars getting the recording hardware for my 3DS.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zurai posted:

Grandmaster actually has excellent caps (40 across the board except for Luck which is 45 for the Avatar, plus or minus customization adjustments). Dark Flier has a lovely defense cap, Sorcerer can only use tomes which limits you a lot, and Assassin has lovely defense AND resistance caps. Dark Knight is extremely good, though: slightly worse Strength and Resistance caps for slightly better Magic and Defense caps (still a -1 net over Grandmaster though) and can use both swords and tomes.

Dark Knight is probably the best "final" class for most characters who can take it. Mobile, versatile equipment, balanced stat growths, good caps across the board, only weak to one effective weapon type (except for Nowi/Nah as Dark Knights of course).

Sorcerers don't need a second weapon type unless you are playing Lunatic+ and have to deal with Aegis+. Nosferatu and Waste or Ruin are all you need for the regular game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

This ignores that Sorcerer can use Dark Tombs while the Avatar's other classes can't. Of course if/when you get the ability to use Dark Tombs with other classes that stops being an issue but until then Sorcerer is a huge deal (and will always be for most characters.) Lunatic+ seems to require more variation but that's more than just a sorcerer problem.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
Wait until the SpotPass where you can recruit what's-her-name comes out, marry her, pass on Shadowgift to Morgan, :getin:

It's kind of a shame you can't get a Morgan with Shadowgift and the Demon Fighter class because then you could have tricked out swords, axes, and dark tomes on one brutal-rear end motherfucker.

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 8, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally got around to starting this game and it's fun, but really easy. I'm playing on normal, does it get substantially harder as it goes on?

Also I have had several level ups where all or almost all of the character's stats went up... I remember someone saying the growths were higher but are they really that high? Because drat.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I finally got around to starting this game and it's fun, but really easy. I'm playing on normal, does it get substantially harder as it goes on?

Also I have had several level ups where all or almost all of the character's stats went up... I remember someone saying the growths were higher but are they really that high? Because drat.

Things get much harder later, especially the kid-related paralogues. I always have to go level up a bunch before tackling those whenever they appear. But you're going to want to play on a higher difficulty level, either way, once you've learned how stuff works and who does what.

As for your growths, you're getting lucky, and that luck won't last forever!

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Normal mode is really easy mode in disguise, you should try Hard.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I want to say I've heard Normal starts to step it up around Chapter 7? Lots of folks are starting on Hard because it's more in line with the challenge they're used to in earlier, less forgiving FEs.

And yeah growths seem to hover in the 40 - 50 range for any character that needs that stat to exceed at their role.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lotish posted:

I want to say I've heard Normal starts to step it up around Chapter 7? Lots of folks are starting on Hard because it's more in line with the challenge they're used to in earlier, less forgiving FEs.

And yeah growths seem to hover in the 40 - 50 range for any character that needs that stat to exceed at their role.
More like the 60-70 range for characters who need that stat. Heck, the lowest STR growth in the game for a physical character is 45.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So my Morgan has literally maxed all of his (unpromoted) stats. He's working his way up through barbarian right now since I'm almost completely out of cash and despoil + royal weapon does wonders for your money supply.

But yeah. Seeing lots of empty levelups at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I was going to use a second seal on Sully, what's a good class to turn her into?

• Locked thread