Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Inside, your ride is as smooth and comfortable as the average bus - maybe even better, since you get soft and comfy seats. Outside, Dubai blurs past you as the bus breaks every sensible speed limit in the city.

Fences are jumped, rooftops are used as roads and busy highways are cut across. Nobody seems to notice the bus, even when it passes right in front of them. Sometimes it takes shortcuts, and you feel like a few of them skipped sections of the city entirely, but those parts are hazy and dreamy in your memory. You're not sure why it isn't a bumpy ride either. Oh well! Sometimes it passes near Chinese New Year parades and celebrations, and those are comforting to look at.

Haxz0rl33t doesn't really know what the deal is with Tsurugi or the Jinn, and as far as he knew nobody else even knew about the mission. On the way to the hospital he sends a few messages to Ghost, and they come up with a plan to dump him in a nearby alley and fake an encounter with some street criminals. It's no longer your problem!

The bus skids into some empty street near a parade and skips to an empty bus stop. It's a regular stop, plastered in paper and digital advertisements for trendy new apartments in the arcology, business opportunities on Mars and grassroots "clean up Dubai" campaigns, and totally always had a shinigami bus stop sign next to it.

Haxz0rl33t is dropped off by an alley behind it. "Thanks. My friends will handle it from here."

"Good luck with the data!" he adds to Mina as the cat bus takes off again.

Thursday February 9 2119, 8:45PM UAE, Chinese New Year's Eve

Aspects: Shadowy Spaces, Abandoned Tech

When some of Dubai's wealthy elite relocated to the new domed cities of Mars, the ripples caused chaos in the business world. This abandoned hangar is some of the fallout - it was owned by some commercial space flight venture, but the company was bought up by some bigger corporation and then dismantled when they liquidated most of their Earth assets years ago. Now all that's left is a maintenance hangar nobody wanted to buy.

The insides are dark and empty and lined with years-old technology. People have looted and vandalised the place (there's an impressive one outside of a night sky with a constellation shaped like an anarchy symbol), but the backup generator and larger equipment could presumably be made to work again if you tried. The Soul Network has used the place a couple times before and might have left a few traces, but they didn't take or break much. It was probably in worse shape when they found it.

The cat bus waits a few moments to make sure everyone is getting off and staying off before nodding a goodbye and bounding back towards Dubai. The Bus Stop sign disappears once you're not looking at it.

And there you go! You have until midnight to help Mina get through a 10-shift ward and raid the data drive, or until 10-11 if you want to party first. Poke around, set up maneuvers, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sharon

Sharon is only halfway out the catbus door by the time she's got Wade on the phone. "Wade, you remember that other Ghost you had me go run interference for in Chicago? I'm calling in another favor for her. I need all the stuff you guys have on hacking into Hakurei, some kind of tech company. Yeah, arcanotech stuff too. Send it to me, she's busy and crabby right now. Alright, bye Wade.

"Bye, Wade.

"Goodbye, Wade." Sharon clicks off the line. Nerds.

Creating Advantage: Distributed Computing to help Minimina, rolled a 3 and the nerd herd has to be quick about it, thanks to Leadership.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Arthur Durandall FP 1-1/1

Decidedly impressed by the Shinigami--how the heck did they convince this thing to work with them, anyways?!--Arthur steps lightly off of the bus. Cat. Catbus. He'd have to talk with Sun Yue about loaning them out for other people; they seem like the perfect transport for Soul Network teams: fast, evasive, unnoticed (somehow), comfortable...and kinda cute, after a fashion. He even waves it goodbye as it takes off, something he most certainly would not have done with a Dubai tram. Satisfied, he turns to the empty hangar, and the abandoned maintenance processing computers therein.

"So, Mina," he asks offhandedly, wiping some dust off of one of the machines. "How does that chalk setup of yours interact with slaved computers?"

Maneuver/Create Advantage (whichever you want to call it) to create a Cannibalized Company Computers aspect to assist Mina with her hack job. Add some extra power to a chalk computer: 4dF+3 2. Yeck. Invoking Abandoned Tech to make that 4.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Maximina von Gilgamesh. FP=3

Maximina prowls around the empty hangar -- and prowl is definitely the right word for someone who moves with the sleek, sideways grace of a hound of Tindalos -- but she soon grows bored when no threats pop up. So instead she pushes some crates together to make a chair, hops up on it cross-legged, pulls out her phone, and starts playing Farmington.

Sorry, I've been wracking my brain to think of a way maximina can help Mina, but nothing comes to mind.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Sun Yue

Sun Yue perches herself on a crate next to Maximina and pulls out her pda. She punches in a special code and leaves a message. "Hey Takemikazuchi! We got that guy we were looking for, Mina's boyfriend? And that thing he had. We're down at that abandoned hanger and Mina's doing magical science at it. The guy got kind of beat up so we dropped him at the hospital. Just figured you'd want to know what's going on." She finally lets Takemikazuchi get a word in edgewise.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Da'ud - FP: 2

"Information is information, no matter how you access it. Magic can interact with information. Draw the right circles, chant the right words..."

Da'ud shrugs.

"Of course, do it wrong and you're lucky if you only go mad. There's a reason not everyone is a wizard...now, let me see. I'm sure you can call up the power as well as I can, but let me see if I can't augment your focus with a little classical training. You see, there's a method to take advantage of the metaphysical shift between physical and ethereal in ancient Greek thaumaturgy that could be applied here - digital is another form of ethereal, after all. They used to use this technique to commune with dream-spirits - the entire Hadean underworld mythology may have been related to it, according to the Lysurgis theory. I prefer, though, the theory that it was developed as part of cthonian hero-cults, as a way to commune with the hero-archetype being worshipped. The Hades system is built up differently than it would be if entirely influenced by dream-spirits."

Pause.

"I'm not boring you, right?"

5 to do something helpful with SUL Anthropology, boosted to 7 by invoking Master of the Occult Sciences (BPhil, MOcc).

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 8, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Ritual Prep

You set up maneuvers for Mina!

• Sharon has her G://0st friends collect all the data they have on hand about Hakurei. It's mostly private knowledge about their network protocols and customised operating systems, rather than anything specific, but it helps Mina figure out how they roll. You place Distributed Computing!

• Arthur finds some offices in the back and on an upper floor. A lot of the tech has been stolen already, but there are a few servers, forgotten spare computers stuffed in closets and broken PCs that you can fit them together into something Mina can use. Plus, most of the cables in the building still work once you find the backup generator in the basement. You place Cannibalized Company Computers!

• Maximina plays video games.

• Da'ud talks a lot about magical techniques he knows that Mina could use! After a while she gets him to sit down and help her set up the magic circles and poo poo too. With his high roll Da'ud places Greek Techniques and A Wizard's Assistance.

That's enough preparation for Mina to match the spell's complexity!

Sun Yue coming in a sec, Mina can post!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Mina Fisher

Mina begins drawing out more chalk outlines, this time covering the entire room. One hand guides the chalk while the other types furiously while her mouth babbles just as furiously. She sorta drones Da'ud out.

"Gandalf's about as close as any of you is gonna get. See, this chalk thing for the most part is just encoding, lots of hackers know about it, but can't really do much with it. It ain't not too far from not bein' a basilisk hack, and yes those exist. We got AR access everywhere right? You put your glasses on if you a scrub that still needs 'em and you see AR imagery, data and programs. Encoding is writing out programs that the scanners read and translate. They can get real ornate. Mostly they work by accessing backdoors or hidden codes or whatnot. Encoding itself ain't too useful 'cause it doesn't work on non-AR things. That's where the technomancy comes in."

Mina finishes drawing a triangle inside a circle around one of the scavanged computers.

"That's sorta how this went down last time. All that chalk was a series of instructions that set up a third party node - I mashed a bunch of signals together and stole their processing power to create a makeshift computer, I guess you'd say, to examine the data on. And that's what I'm doing now, but on a bigger scope with more power, connecting to this junk, and grabbing some more power from Wade's buds. 'Buh-buh-buh-buh Mina,' you'd stutter, unable to handle this righteous queen in front of you, 'how're you connecting computers that are turned OFF? How do you remotely plug in a data drive without activating it?' Then you'd fall to your knees in supplication of how much better I am."

She begins scrawling figures along the sides of one line.

"Encoding's cool and all and but sometimes you need to effect the real world. In ways you ain't allowed to 'cause it ain't not being unpossible. That's where the magic kicks in - Da'ud, throw some of your smoking jacket and fez magic into some of these computers? Thanks. Really when you get down to it magic is extra bitchy code. Fulfill the program's needs an it loads up no problem. Fail at loading the program and it messes with the computer a bit. Fail catastrophically and it crashes the computer. Except the computer is you, or maybe your city if it's big enough. Technomancy's just takin' that and pushing it into the modern era. It mixes with encoding because pure data just doesn't work quite right for Reasons, but scrawling it out on chalk makes it connect better. You can make specialized programs with technomancy that can load up and fire on their own but that takes times and a lot of energy, and we ain't got neither right now. Think of the technomancy as a connection port, except computer A is the net, and computer B is reality. Granted this ain't even touching poo poo like programs becoming sentient or data-entities or corporeal viruses or Coil Syndrome or Nulls or motherfucking Imago capabilities, and those break just about every rule, the pricks."

Mina points at Sun Yue.

"And if you don't stop calling him my boyfriend I'm going to hack your music files and replace it all with early century Suger Goblin Pop music, and maybe add a brown note to it, don't think I can't. Anyways!"

Mina sits back in one of the circles, waves up a few screens, and holds her finger over the ENTER key.

"Get ready to bask."

3 Lore, 10 complexity
+2 from Distributed Computing
+2 from Cannibalized Company Computers
+2 from Greek Techniques
+2 from A Wizard's Assistance
TOTAL: 11

Needed: 10
DRAWING: 3/3/4
Spellcasting: Ritual: 4dF+3 3
Spellcasting: Ritual: 4dF+3 4
Spellcasting: Ritual: 4dF+3 4
RITUAL COMPLETE IN 3 TURNS ~<3!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Sun Yue

Meanwhile, the Face of the Soul Network your friendly neighbourhood Soul Node answers.

Ettin posted:

"Takemikazuchi"

Aspects: Everybody's Slightly Crazy Friend; Call Down The Thunder; Magatsuhi, I Choose You!
Goals: Help Soul Network members, keep Dubai safe, prove her faction owns

"Hey babes! Actually heard some of it already. G://0st pals are lighting up my inbox. Glad you're okay, 'cause I heard the Cold Disciples are all over this poo poo. You ran into that opthamologist guy, right?

"Listen, you might be safe there for a while, but I'd move fast if I were you. I got no pals that far out and I don't think the Cold Disciples stopped at hiring the Sons of Sirocco, right?"

You've been here for a while now! At least twenty minutes.

I'll give you a window to reply to Mina or whatever while she casts, but my next post will totally start as she finishes.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sun Yue

Yue sticks her tongue out at Mina. "You're no fun. But this encoding stuff looks really pretty I guess." She definitely zoned out. About halfway through that explanation. Maybe sooner. She goes back to the Soul Network boss. "Mina is being mean to me. But she says she's going to get the data no problem." She listens to the bit about the Sons and Tsurugi. "Mr. I-have-weird-eyes-and-am-bad-at-swords? Yeah he ran off. But we've been here a while I guess so I'll grab Max since she's just playing on her phone and take a look around. Kay thanks bye!" She rings off and hops up. "Boss lady person says the Cold Disciples might come looking for us so I'm gonna take a look around. You in Max?"

Either way, Yue heads out and takes a look around.

Alertness, Stealth: 4dF+3 3 4dF+1 1

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 8, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Maximina von Gilgamesh FP=3

Maximina rises with a yawn, cracking her spine and pocketing her phone. "Sure, let's go. I don't want to stick around if little Mina's going to get all touchy about her boyfriend."

Stealth: 4dF+2 = 3, Alertness: 4dF+4 = 2

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Sun Yue and Maximina head up to the roof and... uh oh!

Ah, byakhees. Did you know they live in interstellar space and mages who know the right tricks can use them as steeds for a time? Or summon them and send them flying at your hangar, like you guess the Disciples of the Cold Ones did. They really want this info.

It is hard to tell in the darkness, but there are at least ten of them. Sun and Maximina spot them early enough to warn the others and take position, at least...

Time for a fight! I am playing around with the rules a little (:ohdear:) and statted the byakhee as a single entity with special rules. There are totally a lot of them though.

Sun Yue gets extra time to prepare and starts with the temporary maneuver Saw It Coming, while Maximina manages to hide herself and starts with They Won't See It Coming.

quote:

BYAKHEE MOB
ASPECTS
What's The Collective Noun For Byakhee?
Some Of Them Know Magic

SKILLS
Great (+4): Casting, Claws
Good (+3): Alertness, Athletics, Will

STRESS
Physical OOOOOOOO

Claws – Weapon: 2

SPECIAL ENCOUNTER: BYAKHEE RUSH
• The rush can exist in three zones at the same time, and attack three times in one round. Two of these attacks can be with magic.
• When the rush has 4 stress boxes filled in, it loses one of its attacks and fills one less zone. The same thing happens at 6 boxes.
• Attacking the rush always does 1 damage.
:siren: For every 3 shifts of excess damage you deal, a byakhee will stick around after the fight and let you mount it. Untagged maneuvers left at the end count as 2.
• If the rush succeeds with style on a Claws attack, the defender has Picked Up placed on them and is relocated to an adjacent zone.

quote:

Initiative

Sun Yue (3/Supernatural Speed)
Maximina (2/Inhuman Speed)
Byakhee (3)
Arthur (1/Human)
Da'ud (1)
Byakhee (1)
Mina (1)
Sharon (0)
Byakhee (0)

Ettin fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 9, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Ignore this, please! :suicide:

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 9, 2013

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sun Yue

Yue waits for the byakhee to swoop in close, then launches herself at them. Flying things are such a pain. Have to get aggressive and keep after them, grab them and keep them where they can be hit. Eagle Claw, then. That should do it.

Uh oh - that one went left. For a second Yue seems like she's just going to go off the side of the hangar, but then she somehow manages to spin and grab a different byakhee as she goes buy and slams him into the roof.

Kung Fu: 4dF+5 2
Kung Fu, reroll: 4dF+5 5

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, +++/+3 = 6

:argh:

The byakhee rolls and gets up! It looks in a mood to try and slam Sun Yue into the ground now. Uh oh!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Maximina knows ten secret truths about Byakhee. She remembers her dad showing her the book, dusty with age, its painstaking, wavery illustrations drawn on yellowed parchment by a hand trembling with madness.

Truth #1: All extant recovered Byakhee bodies have been male; the females are unspeakable.

Maximina slides back the bolt on her absurdly over-bored rifle and aims through the special rifle-scope, switching from thermal to active-IR: Byakhee's bodies, being cold blooded, have no heat signatures. She picks the Byakhee's infrared reflection out against the stars.

Truth #7: The byakhee's weak point is at the radial bone, just above where the massive shoulder muscles end and the delicate wing bones are most exposed. A well placed shot here will cripple the byakhee, bringing it to ground and letting the Hunter pursue on foot.

Maximina smiles as she pulls the trigger. Her eyeteeth lengthen perceptibly in her mouth; they do that, these days.

Truth # 10: Byakhee tastes like chicken.

Tagging Won't See It Coming along with Guns +5. She also has the Sniper stunt, which normally would do +2 damage but all these attacks do 1 damage.

Shootin!: 4dF+5+2 6

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Well that still counts for the purposes of ~sweet mounts~. (I changed the rules 20min before you posted if you missed it.)

quote:

<Krysmbot> Ettout, /++-+3 = 4

Byakhee: XOOOOOOO
Excess: 4

Maximina downs a byakhee! Being a Mythos creature made of terrestrial material sure sucks.

The byakhee start closing in! The one Sun Yue pulled to the roof lunges at her.

Claws vs. Sun Yue: 4dF+4 4

If she doesn't get at least 2, Sun Yue is Picked Up!

Arthur and Da'ud can go now.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sun Yue

Yue gives ground but manages to keep from being clawed with a series of wrist locks and blocks.

Kung Fu Defense: 4dF+5 5

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Arthur Durandall FP 0/1

Sorry about jumping the gun earlier :smith:. The move itself hasn't changed, though. Sadly.

As Mina begins to rattle off her spiel on Technomancer Theory, Arthur straightens up noticeably and sets his tablet to "record video and audio", recording as much of her chatter and as much of the chalk drawing as he can without disrupting her work. He's not trying to act like a spy, it's just an instinct from his time with the OOI. Attention to small details can make a case for a raid, and all that. He drops the tablet with a clatter when he hears Maximina's high-powered rifle shot and Sun Yue calling down about byakhee!

"Oh, damnable!" he yells with a swing of his arm. "These Byakhee with the Disciples? Well, they aren't the only ones here that can fly!"

As he runs for the stairwell to the roof, he crosses his arms over his chest and lets the symbiote's power wash over him. He can feel it lift his hair and his coat, and by the time he reaches the first step on the stairs, he doesn't need them anymore. With one massive jump, he flies up the stairs, taking off bits of railing as he moves to strike one of the flying horde.

Really, it's either "sprint to rooftop, shoot with gun at +0," or "transform into Tager, move and punch with fists at +1". And it may or may not count as a compel of "Whipsers in the Dark," since he's taking off right into the middle of the furball just because he can. Anyway, the roll is Punch a Byakhee! (with -1 for supplemental): 4dF+1 0. So, not very good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Da'ud

"What the-"

In the darkness, it's hard to count the Byakhees, but at least they have warning. Da'ud scowls, moving outside. He has to be able to see these creatures, after all. He kneels down on the asphalt, muttering Egyptian chants. Lines of magic appear around him, tracing out hieroglyphs and runes.

Lightning sparks around him, flowing through the stone, sparking up one of the building's drainage pipes. It sparks upwards, finding its way to the lightning rod - and from there, the magic sends it out at the Byakhees. The magnetic field around Da'ud pulses.

"This is going to be annoying, isn't it."

Casting roll 8, 4 shifts of power. Taking 1 mental stress, since my boxes cleared out with the new scene. So that's an 8, Weapon 4. It won't do more than 1 damage, but I'm gonna catch 'em all.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, -//++3 = 3

quote:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, /+//+3 = 4

Byakhee: XXOOOOOO
Excess: 13

If you get more Excess than you need Byakhees I'll add something else! Maximina can eat one.

More byakhee go down!

The swarm flies lower to the ground! One of them buzzes Da'ud and reaches out with its claws, trying to pick him up or at least gently caress him up. One of the magic ones opens its mouth, and a spiral beam of eldritch energy bursts out and rushes towards Maximina...

Claws vs. Da'ud: 4dF+4 3
Casting vs. Maximina: 4dF+4 4

Claws are Weapon: 2, this laser is Weapon: 3!

New Init:
Arthur (5/Inhuman Speed)
Byakhee (3)
Da'ud (1)
Byakhee (1)
Mina (1)
Sharon (0)
Byakhee (0)

Mina and Sharon now! In 2 more hits the swarm shrinks.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Da'ud FP: 1

Zero on the dodge roll, +2 from invoking Dubai Style.

Da'ud dives to get out of the way, but he's too slow. The Byakhee's claws slash him painfully...but, thankfully, he is wearing a very expensive coat. It's so expensive, in fact, that for this one hit it managed to cushion the blow some...at the cost of the expensive fabric. But hey, at least it's too good and slick to get a good grip on. This time.

I take a 3-stress hit.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Maximina von Gilgamesh Fp=3

Maximina dodges, rolling away from the arcane fire. Eldritch energy plays along her tactical vest, scoring a shallow burn in the material. Discarding her rifle, she draws her belt-knife and pistol.

Dodge!: 4dF+3=4 That's a 3-1=2 stress hit, I think

Stress:
Physical (X)(X)()
Mental ()()()()
Social ()()
Hunger ()()()()()()

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon

Sharon brings up her fists and her AR overlays. There wasn't a concert around here, so that screeching definitely wasn't a fan.

Gonna block by Tuned Words as a 4dF+5 action if Mina or Sharon get attacked. Other than that, staying in cover.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

The ritual complete, Mina steps outside to find a bunch of giant space wizard birds.

"Oh what the eff."

The woman takes what appears to be an ofuda covered in symbols and shapes rather then writing out of her AR satchel and slaps it onto her own forehead. The symbols and shapes glow for a moment while the talisman itself seems to melt into her head. A small AR screen pops up next to her indicating the power remaining.

"You wanted to know about technomancy, right? Well, here you go: what happens when you take an AR toy and make it work in the real world? MEGANE BEAM!"

Mina brings her hand to her forehead with her index and middle finger outstretched, closed fist facing the sky, and a blue laser fires out, frying the Byakhee!

MEGA-BE ATTAAAAACKU~: 4dF+4 6
Weapon 4

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, -+--+3 = 1

Also it occurs to me that you should get something for succeeding with style. With that in mind, Da'ud places the maneuver Gotta Catch 'Em All and Mina deals an extra hit on the track! The byakhee lose a zone and an attack.

Byakhee: XXXXOOOO

Excess: 21 :siren: THIS IS SILLY :siren:

You are in bonus territory now. That is 7 byakhees worth of excess - one for everyone to get a lift from and one for Maximina to eat. Keep piling on the excess for a SURPRISE!

The remaining byakhee strike! One buzzes Mina, and more spiral lasers are sent at Sun Yue from the nearby skies!

quote:

Mina

<Krysmbot> Ettin, --+++4 = 4

Rolling Tuned Words for speed:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, /-+++5 = 6

Sun Yue

<Krysmbot> Ettin, -++++4 = 6

Sharon's sick tunes emanating from the door provide a magical defense against the attack on Mina!

Init
Arthur (5/Inhuman Speed)
Byakhee (3)
Da'ud (1)
Mina (1)
Sharon (0)
Byakhee (0)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sun Yue

Yue scrambles across the roof to avoid the spiral lasers, drawing her sword because these byakhee things are not messing around. She hits the end of the roof and leaps out towards the radio mast next to it, hitting it feet first and horizontal. She uses it as a launching pad to spring back at the pursuing byakhee, blade flashing as she bounds past them.

Athletics for Defense: 4dF+6 6
Kung Fu for Attack: 4dF+5 7

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, ++-++3 = 5

Byakhee: XXXXXOOO

Excess: 25

Another byakhee hits the ground!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Arthur Durandall FP 0/1
Physical: [ ] [ ] ([ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] tager)
Mental: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Social: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Dammit, thinks Arthur as his attempted wing attack goes wide. This isn't working! I need to...hang on...

As he looks at the remaining Byakhee swarmers, he can't help but notice that they aren't just buzzing about randomly, like ants with a lost scent trail. They actually seem to be covering one another, almost like bombers flying in formation. He's not sure whether that's natural behavior or--heaven forbid!--trained, but he's played enough Bomber Boxes to know how to mess with one of those.

With a spin like an interceptor doing an aileron roll, he dives into the closest swarm he can straight between three of the flying demon things. As expected, they don't take kindly to his close pass, and slow down and scatter a bit--hopefully into somebody's waiting sights on the ground!

Moving to Nearby Air zone, and Maneuvering using Wargaming to place "Formation Disrupted" or something like that on the swarm. Wargaming--Isolate a Byakhee!: 4dF+4 5

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, -/--+3 = 0

Arthur succeeds with style! Now there are two tags on Formation Disrupted available.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

It's raining Byakhee blood and that sort of thing drives Mina a little crazy. As the byakhee formation breaks up around the dive-bombing tager, she spots the the flying monsters diving a little too close to the roof. She sprints along the roof to the edge, leaps off, and digs her knife into batlike flesh. As the Byakhee shrieks, she rolls onto its back, embedding her knife like a climbing piton. Clinging to that with one hand, she aims the other at the back of the creature's skull and pulls the trigger.

Maximina rides the dying beast all the way to the ground, landing, more or less, in a spray of Byakhee. "Dinner's on!"

Tagging Formation Disrupted to leap onto a Byakhee's back, shoot it in the head, and ride it like a hangglider to the ground in a completely unnecessary fashion, because gently caress you, that's why. Weapon 2. Jump & shoot: 4dF+4 4 4dF+7 6

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, ----+3 = -1

You succeed by a lot so I will add a little excess! Also, the swarm loses a zone again.

Byakhee: XXXXXXOO

Excess: 33

Most of the byakhee are dead or downed by now! The remaining caster fires another spiral beam down at the ground, attempting to hit Maximina and deal a consequence to someone as revenge for that bullshit just now.

Laser vs. Maximina: 4dF+4 7

Da'ud, Mina and Sharon now!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Da'ud

Da'ud brushes himself off, trying to keep his dignity as he gets up from the slash. "All right..if that's how you monsters want to play..." Their formation had made this a problem before, but now that they've all been separated out into distinct points, mostly away from the others...

Now he can use the big magic.

Da'ud kneels, chanting. Purple light flows over him briefly, then vanishes as his magic circle reappears. Then it doubles itself underneath several of the byakhee. Da'ud focuses, muttering under his breath, and then stands, raising his hand.

"Down, boys."

At which point gravity increases by a factor of twenty.

Casting roll 9, 6 shifts of power so Weapon 6. Boosting to 11 by tagging Formation Disrupted.
Also I take a 3-stress mental hit but that's okay, I'm totally fine.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 12, 2013

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon

Sharon frowns at the spattering of byakhee raining from the skies and dappling her with blood. This was a new issue dress, dammit.

Shielding her eyes with a hand, she watches Da'ud work and the monsters crumpling to the ground. It seems almost unsporting to kick them while they're down.

Ready with another Defend at +5 if the vermin get any smart ideas. Flying enemies are hard when you mostly punch.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ettin posted:

Byakhee: XXXXXXOO

Excess: 33

Most of the byakhee are dead or downed by now! The remaining caster fires another spiral beam down at the ground, attempting to hit Maximina and deal a consequence to someone as revenge for that bullshit just now.

Laser vs. Maximina: 4dF+4 7

Dodge dodge dodge the bullshit laser: 4dF+3=1 (but actually 2, because inhuman Speed. At Weapon 3 + 5 shifts vs. Armor 1 that means Maximina has to take a mild and moderate consequence. I choose Ravenously Hungry and Wardrobe Malfunction.

Maximina rides the headless Byakhee down to the ground in style, cheerfully humming "God Save the Queen" in triumph. She's so engrossed in her hunt that she doesn't even notice the shadow passing over her until she takes an eldritch beam right in the small of the back. The red-headed hunter is blown off her mount and straight through the weak aluminum walls of the warehouse.

She rises creakily to her feet, her eyes glowing, the burnt and shredded remains of her bullet-proof vest falling to pieces around her. She doesn't even notice; Maximina has other things on her mind.

Stress:
Physical XXX
Mental OOOO
Social OO
Hunger OOOOOO

Mild: Ravenous
Moderate: Wardrobe Malfunction

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 12, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, -+/-+3 = 2

Byakhee: XXXXXXXO

Excess: 49

With that success I will say Da'ud grounds the remaining byakhee! Sharon and Mina can punch them now if they want.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

Mina zaps the Byakhee with her laser some more, quite happy her weapon of choice doesn't get blood everywhere, and then probably turns around and vomits when some of Maximina's toy splashes on her.

MEGA-BE ATTAAAAACKU~: 4dF+4 3

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, +/-/+3 = 3

Byakhee: XXXXXXXX

Excess: 55

Finally, the danger fades as the byakhee either flap away into the night, collapse into the ground and disappear in a puff of summoning magic running out or... sit there on the ground and submit to you, looks like!

That is 55 excess damage! And you guys were worried. Here's your prize:

• With 21 of that Excess, you get 7 byakhee. That's one for each of you to get a lift from and one for Maximina to eat!

• With 18 of the remaining 34 Excess, those byakhee will stick around for the rest of Chapter Zero. That is multiple rides! If you're in a populated area they'll hang around in the cloudy sky until you need them. Also, they will not carry you to the wrong place or up into space unless you want them to or screw with them a lot.

• Since you still have a few more, the chapter also gets the aspect Byakhee Squad which you can invoke for non-flying things.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

Mina leaves before Maximina can begin her horrible feast and checks on the data recently plundered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon

Sharon stares impassively at Maximina tearing another living creature apart with her teeth.

• Locked thread