Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Chairchucker posted:

I've only watched like 10 seconds of that video because my current internet connection is complete trash; did it contain examples of vegetative regrowth that had me excited ages ago?

The first location is an overgrown agricultural center beset by mutated farm pests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
"They're still the same dog killing savages..." :D

EDIT: I just noticed those bugs they're fighting at the beginning are called "supafly". I also loved how meaty the weapons sounded, and the way the UI has been handled, and the... oh god it all just looks so good.

Is it wrong for me to be grinning this much from a preview?

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 10, 2013

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
The entrance to the Agricultural Center certainly seems familiar when comparing it to the map in the original game. I can't wait to see what the Guardian Citadel looks like if that's making an appearance.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Great Rumbler posted:

The first location is an overgrown agricultural center beset by mutated farm pests.

OK that's awesome, think the main thing I'm hoping for though is things like ruins of cities with trees growing all through them or something like that.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

doomfunk posted:

While my body is completely ready for this game, at the same time, my body would be even readier if the rangers' walk speed was just a bit faster. I've been replaying Arcanum off and on lately, and to my eye WL2's current build seems somewhat slow in comparison.

There was a toggle between run and walk, but they only used it once in the video. I'm guessing most people will set it to run and never change it, but they added the option for folks who want to take it slower.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
If a game gives me a choice, I'll always turn on "Always Run." And then I'll frequently pause the game to read descriptions or look at the environment. THAT'S JUST HOW I ROLL.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

Yeah, seeing people using their real names makes me nervous. For ... reasons.

Whatever, surely there will still be people using crazy Wasteland names, right? RIGHT?

(I may have had my pledge bumped up a few levels as a reward for helping them procure the original cover art)

(maybe I should ask them to rename me "Firstname 'Quarex' Lastname" or maybe that is dumb)

Yeeeees. Actually, this is a very interesting question that I'm sure most people in these circumstances will ponder. Then again, to see one's name in the context presented in the game is pretty awesome as well, I guess. Ah well, privacy is an illusion anyway these days, it seems.

None the less, I can't beleive how increadible the gameplay looked. I was worried that things would lean too much to the Fallout side of things (I loved Fallout 1 and 2, don't get me wrong!) but the influence of original Wasteland can't be denied or ignored. Lockpick and safecrack being seperate skills made me smile as well, I can recall the name I gave my first lockpick and safecrack person in Wasteland back in C64 days... Just wouldn't be the same if it was just a generic lock skill! With the pics of Shadowrun looking pretty nice, I am happy so far about my major kickstarter bets.

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not
I was honestly kind of beginning to regret my pledge.

I only gave money because they got Chris Avellone on board, and (at the time) there wasn't an Obsidian Kickstarter to throw money at, so this seemed like the Next Best Thing.

Video was super-rad though, allayed my fears.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Didn't pay much attention to this while the kickstarter was going on, this looks pretty dope though after watching the video and I'm probably gonna toss some money down. Is the video pretty final with regards to graphics/polish etc though or is there still more in the works?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Didn't pay much attention to this while the kickstarter was going on, this looks pretty dope though after watching the video and I'm probably gonna toss some money down. Is the video pretty final with regards to graphics/polish etc though or is there still more in the works?

It's still a work in progress. They mention several things in that latest Kickstarter update that haven't been implement yet or not implemented to the level that will be featured final product. I wouldn't expect a huge jump in the overall quality of the graphics, but it's safe to say that it'll all be much more polished in the actual release version.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/401940

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am very pleased to see people coming around who were dubious and/or disinterested before. I mean, while I realize I cannot say I KNEW this was going to be good, I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO BE GOOD

(I mean, from the first time Brian Fargo basically declared "this is what I have wanted to do for 20 years, this is all I care about, this has to happen" I have figured it would be a labor of love)

HiriseSoftware posted:

The entrance to the Agricultural Center certainly seems familiar when comparing it to the map in the original game. I can't wait to see what the Guardian Citadel looks like if that's making an appearance.
They called it the "Ranger Citadel" at one point in some voiceover, so I am guessing that Ranger Center moved to the Guardian Citadel after the Guardians of the Old Order were wiped out. I mean, it definitely seemed like a better stronghold than Ranger Center, not that we had much to work with other than the single graphic of the latter. But still, hmm, I wonder if Ranger Center is now going to be an abandoned ruin?!?!

e_wraith posted:

Yeeeees. Actually, this is a very interesting question that I'm sure most people in these circumstances will ponder. Then again, to see one's name in the context presented in the game is pretty awesome as well, I guess. Ah well, privacy is an illusion anyway these days, it seems.
And here I thought my comment would be lost in the shuffle! Yeah, I ... I am going to spoiler this because it is kind of embarrassing how awesome it is: I got a direct message from Brian Fargo on Twitter, he is designing "me" in the game personally. :shobon: I know roughly what my character is going to be, but I do not want to spoil it, because it is hilariously appropriate/awesome.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Quarex posted:

And here I thought my comment would be lost in the shuffle! Yeah, I ... I am going to spoiler this because it is kind of embarrassing how awesome it is: I got a direct message from Brian Fargo on Twitter, he is designing "me" in the game personally. :shobon: I know roughly what my character is going to be, but I do not want to spoil it, because it is hilariously appropriate/awesome.

You're going to be some sort of crazy Wasteland fanatic, aren't you?

chiefnewo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 10, 2013

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
I have to say, I loved the radio effects in that video. Most games use the radio as a button that lets plot happen with people who aren't on screen, but that radio just sounds dirty. It's full of proper static and weird interference, and it's weird how excited that makes me.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Category Fun! posted:

I have to say, I loved the radio effects in that video. Most games use the radio as a button that lets plot happen with people who aren't on screen, but that radio just sounds dirty. It's full of proper static and weird interference, and it's weird how excited that makes me.

Did you see how they were using Nixie tubes to represent the amount of action points? The amount of unique flavor in this game already rules.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

chiefnewo posted:

You're going to be some sort of crazy Wasteland fanatic, aren't you?
I actually expected that originally, being either in the literal sense or the self-referential sense. I also kind of thought that if they used people's photographs for character design then I would probably end up leading a horrible gang. I need to stop talking about this lest I actually give it away, but it will definitely be cool.

Category Fun! posted:

Oh, I am with you. There is some sort of visceral thrill to the way the radio sounds like every piece, from the transmitter to the antenna to the receivers, are probably held together with scavenged duct tape.

This game, as you and The Black Husserl and lots of other people pointed out, is clearly already full of incredible detail, minor touches, and other elements that let you know that the designers deeply care about the series, the genre, and the world they are creating.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, you control a squad, huh? Fallout Tactics was a game I enjoyed, if this is nothing more than that in a somewhat-different setting...heh heh.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

the black husserl posted:

Did you see how they were using Nixie tubes to represent the amount of action points? The amount of unique flavor in this game already rules.

I didn't, but man that's a neat touch.

Speedball posted:

So, you control a squad, huh? Fallout Tactics was a game I enjoyed, if this is nothing more than that in a somewhat-different setting...heh heh.

If anything, this looks like what people hoped Fallout Tactics would be. Tactics was cool but it was a flawed game with a real ramshackle plot and some awkward game mechanics. If they can pull this off it'll probably be even better.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So do you choose who you start as or are you always just a squad of generic rangers? Has anything really been revealed about character creation and development?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

If I understand correctly you get to design your initial squad of rangers, but there might be interesting NPCs you meet in the wastes you can get to join you.

Edit: Also if this is what you meant I don't think there really is a "you" in this game, it's party based, even more so than something like Baldurs Gate, you're controlling the Rangers as a unit.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 10, 2013

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Davoren posted:

Edit: Also if this is what you meant I don't think there really is a "you" in this game, it's party based, even more so than something like Baldurs Gate, you're controlling the Rangers as a unit.

It's the exact same system as Icewind Dale or Temple of Elemental Evil.

Bob NewSCART posted:

So do you choose who you start as or are you always just a squad of generic rangers? Has anything really been revealed about character creation and development?

They haven't revealed anything but since there are dozens of skills and a CLASSIC list of attributes, I imagine you'll mix and match those along with name + appearance.

EDIT: I am so excited that some the skills in Wasteland 2 will be nearly useless/incredibly specialized. I hate this quirk of modern game design that demands "all skills must be equally good, so as not to 'penalize' the player". Obsidian is a big fan of that type of game design so I'm glad ineXile disagrees we're going to get an isometric RPG that allows me to make a useless character who can only repair toasters.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 11, 2013

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

RagingBoner posted:

Holy crap. I hate to get my hopes up for a game that isn't really even close to being done yet, but that video... Holy crap.

Did inXile ever get back to you about the backer prizes? Or do they still only have that "rough idea" message we sent to them in response to their email?

And it turns out the faux gold belt buckles looked real enough to trick a group of pirates into following me as their captain, so as soon as I get off this boat, they will be mailed out.

Not really, they had me fill out that form awhile back, but it was just like a single line on a form about the item. I assumed we would have a tiny bit more interaction at that level but so far it has just been form letters and the such.

That new gameplay video looks incredible too

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 11, 2013

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

the black husserl posted:

It's the exact same system as Icewind Dale or Temple of Elemental Evil.

Hah yeah that would probably have been a better example, I just meant that there isn't really a 'main character'.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

You create your four rangers and customise them completely. They always remain under your control.

You can also then recruit up to 3 NPCs into your party as you go through the game, who are pre-made by the developers and have their own personalities. You can give NPCs orders, but they might not necessarily follow them, and they might even screw you over by stealing from you or betraying you at some point.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I think and always thought that this was going to turn out well. If Brian Fargo and Chris Avelone can't make a cRPG with 3 million dollars then I don't know what the gently caress.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Is there more detail on CLASSIC and known skills than in this video?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I kinda wish they had come up with a better name than classic. It's a little too self-referential/nostalgic for my tastes.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

spider wisdom posted:

I kinda wish they had come up with a better name than classic. It's a little too self-referential/nostalgic for my tastes.
Suck on some Toaster Repair noob. :v:

edit: was curious and did a search after posting and found this:
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2187

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 11, 2013

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

v1ld posted:

This image was uploaded to their Kickstarter a few months ago:

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary
The video on vimeo appears to be down, is there anywhere else to see this?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Mr. Self Destruct posted:

The video on vimeo appears to be down, is there anywhere else to see this?

Vimeo pulled it so they moved it to youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9hQWqtxXPU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

v1ld posted:

Coupled with the list Great Rumbler posted, since the game's mechanics are still based on the original game's, it is a fairly safe bet that if you look at what the ability scores did in that game, you will have a sense of what they do here.

I do not think the name CLASSIC is going to win any awards, but it gets the job done as an homage to SPECIAL and also has the advantage of quite possibly being the first stat system in any game ever to not start with the strength-equivalent(!)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"Spot Lie?"

That's....interesting. That has many interesting implications.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

FRINGE posted:

Why the hell did Vimeo pull it? :confused:

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

spider wisdom posted:

inXile came up with SPLICES and then asked the backers if they could come up with something they'd prefer. Missed your chance.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Also: Toaster Repair. Haha.

"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply! Once I fire up my electric heating coil of doom, I will burn the world!"

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Fintilgin posted:

Why the hell did Vimeo pull it? :confused:

Apparently they don't allow game demos or something like that.

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

FRINGE posted:

Thanks!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
"Toaster Repair," for the unaware, has a long and sordid history in the first game.

"Spot Lie," not so much, and that is indeed interesting to see where they go with that. It might just be a situationally-appropriate alternative to persuasion, I suppose?

njark posted:

Apparently they don't allow game demos or something like that.
The first thing Vimeo has ever had that I want to watch, and they take it down.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

It's up on youtube now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushball
May 23, 2012
What exactly is Bullet Swagging? Sounds like it could ether be a skill that focuses on making ammo yourself or one about specifically stealing ammo from other people.

• Locked thread