Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

1st AD posted:

Is Dimensions worth $20? Because I'd rather play something a little more old school if it means encounters go by quicker because there isn't a ton of time wasted on camera movements and transitions.

It's got pretty good gameplay. The price tag sucks for a mobile game but you can easily put 50+ hours in to it.

Just ignore the story. Especially when Alba is talking. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I thought I had transferred my Dissidia save to the Vita but apparently I didn't. What do I miss out in Duodecim by not transferring?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought I had transferred my Dissidia save to the Vita but apparently I didn't. What do I miss out in Duodecim by not transferring?

All the gear, money, and levels you had on your original file. There should be an option to try again in the options menu.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I actually got Duodecim a while back, and have been playing it a bunch whenever I've found myself with some downtime at school/on the bus. It's a really good game to just pick up and play whenever. I do have a couple of questions about it though.

A) Are they planning on making (another) sequel?

B) Are villain characters worth learning? So far I've been having a blast playing Onion Knight, Tifa, and Bartz, but I feel like Golbez has a lot of potential to combo like a motherfucker. But I dunno if they're actually worth learning and mastering or if they're just gimmicky characters for the sake of gimmicks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Depends on how well it sold, I haven't heard anything about it. I believe the people behind it are pretty busy with other FF stuff right now though.

And yes - every character in the game is full featured. Basically it's just a question of who you enjoy playing. A lot of characters change significantly when you unlock more of their moveset, so its worth playing them all for awhile until you get a better feel for how they actually function with unlocked + upgraded moves.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

victrix posted:

Depends on how well it sold, I haven't heard anything about it. I believe the people behind it are pretty busy with other FF stuff right now though.

I think the devs said they are done with Dissidia in that form. I would love to have another game that plays like Dissidia though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The GIG posted:

I think the devs said they are done with Dissidia in that form. I would love to have another game that plays like Dissidia though.

I think its a pretty impressive achievement actually - the combat is remarkably deep for what amounts to a 3d action fighting game, and on the PSP no less. It does give me some hope that they have a clue when it comes to the action rpg turn that FF seems to be taking.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

victrix posted:

I think its a pretty impressive achievement actually - the combat is remarkably deep for what amounts to a 3d action fighting game, and on the PSP no less. It does give me some hope that they have a clue when it comes to the action rpg turn that FF seems to be taking.

I'd love to see what they could do with a Dissidia game on a home console.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The GIG posted:

The lifelong chant of monster hunter players everywhere

Given Kingdom Hearts and Type 0, I don't think we've seen the last of Dissidia. Doubly so since I think one of the studio heads was quoted as saying something along the lines of 'we'd be dumb to ignore the popularity of action rpgs'. I sort of wonder if he was referencing Dark Souls to some extent.

I don't know how I feel about that, but I guess we'll find out when FF15 is shown :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The GIG posted:

All the gear, money, and levels you had on your original file. There should be an option to try again in the options menu.

I didn't have that much honestly, I think I played through all the Order campaigns once but that doesn't level you all that high and I wanted to play the new characters anyway.

I don't remember if I had much money and gear.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

The GIG posted:

I would play the gently caress outta that game, no lie.

Another quick question- Is there any way to change the day of the week I get my benefits on?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

I would play the gently caress outta that game, no lie.

Another quick question- Is there any way to change the day of the week I get my benefits on?

Yeah, it in Data Config in the main menu, but the change doesn't take until the next week.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Just reset your PSP clock, you can have bonus day 100% of the time

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

B) Are villain characters worth learning? So far I've been having a blast playing Onion Knight, Tifa, and Bartz, but I feel like Golbez has a lot of potential to combo like a motherfucker. But I dunno if they're actually worth learning and mastering or if they're just gimmicky characters for the sake of gimmicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1aY_m2PIvk

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ShadeofDante posted:

Yeah I'd say so far it is. About five hours in and it has a better job system than III, the 5 man party of IV, and with auto battle as an option to power through the non boss fights, it never drags like III did.

I really continue to be impressed by how much time in sinking into this game. Definitely a first for me on a cell phone game.

Agreed on all points. Its job system is remarkably deep, like they took FF5's and condensed the number of total jobs but vastly expanded the depth of each one.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So my FF4TAY Leonora solo has hit a snag in the form of Deathgaze.

Namely, that I'm feeling like something's wrong.

The Bestiary says it has 120,000 HP. Leonora can, with the right moon phase and the Limit Ring, do around 10,000 damage with Holy or Flare.

It'd make sense then, that Deathgaze goes down after twelve attacks, right? I was keeping track of it by giving Leonora and Ether after each fight and keeping count of how many I had used. I used twelve attacks and he wasn't dead. I kept this up, doing 20 10,000 damage attacks and that supposed 120,000 HP still wasn't depleted.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Dr Pepper posted:

Deathgaze stuff

That's really weird! The only thing I can think is that his HP comes back if you change floors. If it's not that, I have no idea.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

glod posted:

That's really weird! The only thing I can think is that his HP comes back if you change floors. If it's not that, I have no idea.

This is correct - to wipe out all of Deathgaze's HP you have to do it on one floor.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Has a goon ever done an LP of Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song?

Off all of Kawazu's crazy bullshit, that game was the closest to being comprehensible, on account of having a good UI, translation, localization, etc. Plus some really great music and fun combat.

Naturally, the quest/world/character system was utterly insane.

I played through it with three of the characters a long time ago, but I never saw quite a bit of content (at least one of the other endings, three or more super bosses, plus who knows what else).

This brought on by stumbling across the hilarity of an Unlimited Saga tutorial video series on youtube.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

victrix posted:

Has a goon ever done an LP of Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song?

Off all of Kawazu's crazy bullshit, that game was the closest to being comprehensible, on account of having a good UI, translation, localization, etc. Plus some really great music and fun combat.

Naturally, the quest/world/character system was utterly insane.
Oh, it's been attempted like three times. It's a pretty insurmountable title.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Guys, guys! We might finally get some real Versus news really soon!

It's not the Versus you think. Also, it might be nothing.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

^Blanka suit for XIII-2.

Btw what is a way to know which FFXII your playing? I am playing it on PC I don't know if it's the international version.

Also how soon do the chests that lock the zodiac spear, appear?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Are you at the point where you have access to the license board? If you had to choose a job, it's the International version. If it's just one big board, it's standard.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ulio posted:

^Blanka suit for XIII-2.

Btw what is a way to know which FFXII your playing? I am playing it on PC I don't know if it's the international version.

Also how soon do the chests that lock the zodiac spear, appear?

It will say on the title screen? I'm going to say you're playing vanilla since it'd be pretty obvious if you were playing the international version.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dross posted:

Are you at the point where you have access to the license board? If you had to choose a job, it's the International version. If it's just one big board, it's standard.

Looks standard guess its not international.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Getting near the end of Dimensions, musing about final team construction, making sure I'm not making any fatal mistakes.

Assuming that the final team will be my choice of five out of the core eight characters. If so...

Sol: Red Mage/Magus. I kept thinking the party needs a black mage, but I think Magus fills all the same roles, judging by my research. It can nuke (Dualcast Flare), and it can exploit elemental weaknesses (En____).
Either Sara or Diana: White Mage/Bard or White Mage/Seer. I don't know yet if the Seer is worth investing in at all, since I haven't even seen one in action.
Aigis: Dragoon/Paladin. The tank.
Glaive: Monk/Dancer. Phantom Rush.
Nacht: Ranger/Thief? Ranger/Ninja? Ranger/something. He's a Ranger 17 right now and quite useful.

Is any aspect of this plan going to cruelly come back and bite me in the rear end during endgame?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

Oh, it's been attempted like three times. It's a pretty insurmountable title.

I bought it new shortly after it came out and have played it for a grand total of 2 hours.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I bought it new shortly after it came out and have played it for a grand total of 2 hours.

A summary of Kawazu game experiences.

I confess to not understanding why the japanese love his games. They consistently sell well.

I enjoyed Romancing Saga probably from a mix of some nostalgia for the PS1 RS titles (first one was incomprehensible, wildly so, second one was beautiful and terrible to play) and the fact that I actually liked the combat.

And some awesome music and battles. The last boss was actually one of the tougher rpg battles I've ever completed, he actually killed me several times before I cracked it (I'm 99% certain this is due to a lack of understanding of some game system or another :v:)

But yeah, pick the wrong character and the beginning will be too hard, too slow, or too boring.

Romancing Saga is downright pedestrian in comparison to Unlimited Saga though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The best opening is Gray's, where you literally wander around aimlessly until you accidentally upgrade his unique katana (once you very eventually figure out how to upgrade weapons).

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ProfessorProf posted:

Getting near the end of Dimensions, musing about final team construction, making sure I'm not making any fatal mistakes.

Assuming that the final team will be my choice of five out of the core eight characters. If so...

Sol: Red Mage/Magus. I kept thinking the party needs a black mage, but I think Magus fills all the same roles, judging by my research. It can nuke (Dualcast Flare), and it can exploit elemental weaknesses (En____).
Either Sara or Diana: White Mage/Bard or White Mage/Seer. I don't know yet if the Seer is worth investing in at all, since I haven't even seen one in action.
Aigis: Dragoon/Paladin. The tank.
Glaive: Monk/Dancer. Phantom Rush.
Nacht: Ranger/Thief? Ranger/Ninja? Ranger/something. He's a Ranger 17 right now and quite useful.

Is any aspect of this plan going to cruelly come back and bite me in the rear end during endgame?

Sol can't Magus. Warriors of Light only get Seer, so their non-Summon nuking capacity stops at L7 Black Magic and Holy. If you need a Magus, use Alba; Dualcast Meteor wrecks house and she gets the biggest INT/MP boost out of everyone. Likewise, Diana can't be a Seer, since she's in the Warriors of Darkness party which gets Magus instead.

Seers are definitely worth investing in, because not only are they upgraded White Mages (they trade off some physical stats for increased Mind and MP), they give access to some amazing Fusion Abilities: Final Heaven (the Light Warriors' best damage skill), Alabaster Veil (single-target Mighty Wall+Haste, great for freshly-Raised dudes), and Mega Raise (which is an excellent panic button). Because their primary command is also White Magic they can give you all of the White Mage's FAs as well, and have more MP to abuse Full Cure/Hastega.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 10, 2013

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Shaezerus posted:

Sol can't Magus. Warriors of Light only get Seer, so their non-Summon nuking capacity stops at L7 Black Magic and Holy. If you need a Magus, use Alba; Dualcast Meteor wrecks house and she gets the biggest INT/MP boost out of everyone. Likewise, Diana can't be a Seer, since she's in the Warriors of Darkness party which gets Magus instead.

Seers are definitely worth investing in, because not only are they upgraded White Mages (they trade off some physical stats for increased Mind and MP), they give access to some amazing Fusion Abilities: Final Heaven (the Light Warriors' best damage skill), Alabaster Veil (single-target Mighty Wall+Haste, great for freshly-Raised dudes), and Mega Raise (which is an excellent panic button). Because their primary command is also White Magic they can give you all of the White Mage's FAs as well, and have more MP to abuse Full Cure/Hastega.

I was hoping that when the parties teamed up, they'd share crystals, too. :smith:

Now I need to balance my love of dropping giant space rocks on my enemies with my irrational desire to have Sol, and not have Alba, in my final party.

E: Maybe I'll have Sol go Red/Black Mage and Sarah go Seer, or something.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ProfessorProf posted:

I was hoping that when the parties teamed up, they'd share crystals, too. :smith:

Now I need to balance my love of dropping giant space rocks on my enemies with my irrational desire to have Sol, and not have Alba, in my final party.

E: Maybe I'll have Sol go Red/Black Mage and Sarah go Seer, or something.

Sol, in his base stats, is a slightly faster, slightly less tanky Aigis - I think they even get the same Strength boost. He's great as a Dragoon and if you're set on keeping Aigis as a Paladin, is best-suited for Final Heaven spamming simply for the Speed difference between the two. It also makes him an okay backup healer, only really limited by a meager MP pool - White Wind and Full Cure aren't affected by Mind (which is the lowest Dragoon stat), and should be easy enough to get since the former is "on the way" to Final Heaven and the latter only needs a L1 White Mage/Seer if you master Dragoon.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 10, 2013

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Final Fantasy Legend II (which is SaGa 2 I think) is a fantastic game, not just a great GameBoy RPG but a great RPG period. The first one's not bad either but not nearly as good.

Other than that every SaGa game I've tried is terrible and I don't know how anybody enjoys playing them.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ross posted:

Other than that every SaGa game I've tried is terrible and I don't know how anybody enjoys playing them.

The SaGa Frontier games are the height of quality and I will hear nothing else, despite the hilariously unfinished state of the first one. :colbert:

I've never played Romancing SaGa 2/3 though, since last I checked neither one was fully translated. :smith:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I will defend the GB SaGa games to the death; they were my first real exposure to JRPGs growing up and I still love each and every one. There's a translation patch out (finally) for the WSC port of FFL1, if anyone's interested. I still don't know what ESP does, though.

That being said, the best SaGa game is probably The Last Remnant (on PC).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

S-Alpha posted:

The SaGa Frontier games are the height of quality and I will hear nothing else, despite the hilariously unfinished state of the first one. :colbert:

I've never played Romancing SaGa 2/3 though, since last I checked neither one was fully translated. :smith:
3 is playably translated, but the system itself is opaque as poo poo and unbalanced anyway. Not to mention that even if you have the strongest abilities available to you, max HP, and more than enough JP/WP to last the entire fight, it's 100% based on luck.

At about 30% HP, it changes the field effect to one that damages everyone and heals it, disables all healing, and actively cancels all your buffs (if you subsequently recast a buff, it cancels it at the beginning of the next character's turn) save for the one that makes you take LP damage instead of HP. It also casts a spell in this form that has speed priority and makes everyone waste their attacks on its target, usually doing thousands of damage to a character who has a 999 HP cap and now can't be revived. Oh, and it's a unique attack type so there aren't any evasion techs that'll let you dodge it :shepface:

The SaGa games are fun, but they really need to hire someone who understands balance to keep 'em in check.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Guys Dissidia 012 is pretty cool!! They made awesome changes to the out-of-battle stuff - the main story mode is actually fun now and they have a world map in it :v: and while the battle system is mostly the same you get new characters to mess around with.

Also I haven't finished the new story yet but it's not nearly as bad as I heard, it's a fun little bit of fanservice. There's also so much to do/unlock, can't believe I bought this for $10 on the current PSN sale when FF: ATB was $4 for something that wasn't even a game + $50 DLC.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I have no idea how I beat RS3 but I'm sure copious amounts of Shadow Servant were involved. Best spell in any game.

FFL 1 and 2 were fun, I don't think I ever beat the final boss in 2 though.

Never played Frontier 1, but Frontier 2 had a great story and worldbuilding (if you like political shenangians), albeit the same opaque bullshit gameplay. Also the final boss is a kick in the eggs :rimshot:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Saga games are annoying because they present intriguing worlds and interesting gameplay mechanics

... at first glance

Then you try to actually play them and nothing makes any loving sense and the only people who understand them are nerd savants writing five hundred page faqs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bellmaker posted:

Never played Frontier 1, but Frontier 2 had a great story and worldbuilding (if you like political shenangians), albeit the same opaque bullshit gameplay. Also the final boss is a kick in the eggs :rimshot:
I played Frontier 1 for about thirty minutes. This is because I chose to play Riki's story first :downs:

Frontier 2 was interesting, but it's just so sparse that it's barely coherent. It's like they took the most interesting parts from a history book but left out the things that make history more than a series of tangentially-related vignettes. "Chapter 4: Gustave is a rambunctious boy, and then his mother dies / Chapter 5: Five years later, Gustave is leading an army / Chapter 7 (because Chapter 6 is hidden and impossibly hard to get): a guy you've never heard of before who has a badass sword dies helping Gustave retreat / Chapter 8: FAKE GUSTAVE"

Oh, and don't even get me started on Wil Knights' tale, which goes from "Wil Knights is fighting on a boat" to "You're in the middle of a forest. Also, you are now a dude with a bowl cut named Richard." Still a pretty fun game. Except Battle of South Mound even if you did whatever it is you're supposed to do to get Gustaf as a unit in that scenario.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 10, 2013