Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

NZAmoeba posted:

Don't worry, Mainzeal only employed 450 people despite it being a large construction company. All those other people are independent small business owners!

Even better is that now all of their tools etc are locked down on the Mainzeal construction sites so even if they had other projects not tied in to Mainzeal they can't go and work on those without incurring the significant cost of replacing their tools. Oh and they are considered to be unsecured creditors so they are right at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miguel Angel Face
Apr 1, 2012
I AM THE GHOST OF DON BRASH FROM 2005, IF YOU DON'T SAY "ONE LAW FOR ALL" FIVE TIMES IN THE MIRROR I'LL COME INTO YOUR THREAD TONIGHT AND SPOUT RACIST DOGWHISTLES FOR TWENTY PAGES

Varkk posted:

Even better is that now all of their tools etc are locked down on the Mainzeal construction sites so even if they had other projects not tied in to Mainzeal they can't go and work on those without incurring the significant cost of replacing their tools. Oh and they are considered to be unsecured creditors so they are right at the back of the queue when it comes to getting paid.

It's a good thing they thought about the potential risk and paid for business interruption insurance.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I'd be ripping the doors off, getting my poo poo back, and telling them to get hosed.

It'd THEIR poo poo. You don't get to lock out people's stuff just because your CEOs embezzled millions.

Miguel Angel Face
Apr 1, 2012
I AM THE GHOST OF DON BRASH FROM 2005, IF YOU DON'T SAY "ONE LAW FOR ALL" FIVE TIMES IN THE MIRROR I'LL COME INTO YOUR THREAD TONIGHT AND SPOUT RACIST DOGWHISTLES FOR TWENTY PAGES

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

I'd be ripping the doors off, getting my poo poo back, and telling them to get hosed.

It'd THEIR poo poo. You don't get to lock out people's stuff just because your CEOs embezzled millions.

It's standard commercial practice to lock down a building site when the contractor goes into receivership. It's done to ensure that the trade creditors aren't robbed of their rightful property.

The sub-contractors haven't lost ownership of their tools. They simply have to provide evidence to the receivers that the tools are theirs. Once they do this, the tools are released and life goes on.

Nothing will enter or leave the site until the receivers have finished their assessment.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Miguel Angel Face posted:

It's standard commercial practice to lock down a building site when the contractor goes into receivership. It's done to ensure that the trade creditors aren't robbed of their rightful property.

The sub-contractors haven't lost ownership of their tools. They simply have to provide evidence to the receivers that the tools are theirs. Once they do this, the tools are released and life goes on.

Nothing will enter or leave the site until the receivers have finished their assessment.

If someone has your poo poo, and you can't get it, and it is stopping you from working, they are robbing you.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Actually the best part is that Mainzeal make them provide their own tools, so literally none of the tools they want to get could possibly belong to the creditors.

It's just classist bullshit from a bean counter at PWC assuming that a tradesman is going to steal from you because they're a blue collar. Meanwhile the actual thieves...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

NZAmoeba posted:

Actually the best part is that Mainzeal make them provide their own tools, so literally none of the tools they want to get could possibly belong to the creditors.

It's just classist bullshit from a bean counter at PWC assuming that a tradesman is going to steal from you because they're a blue collar. Meanwhile the actual thieves...

As a bean counter who used to work for PWC, I resent but also confirm the implication. gently caress the plebes!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

And as someone who has had access to documents provided by Mainzeal to their lawyers and to their opposition in court on past matters, this whole thing is entirely unsurprising. Screeds of denied/obstructed payment claims, repeated failure to remedy faults and near-constant shifting of blame.

Frankly I'm surprised people didn't refuse to work with them years ago. Dodgy as all gently caress.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 8, 2013

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Zealous but corrupted beyond all balls: The Chaos Space Marine of the construction industry

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
NZ to take refugees in Australian deal

It's times like this I wish I don't delete all the racists I see off my facebook. The comments are worth a good laugh at least.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I can guess what was going through John Key's head when he signed this one off.

'150 refugees that ain't arabs? Works for me!'

roarshark
Apr 7, 2002
i got killed by black bugs on my video game

Felix_Cat posted:

Prices are always an imperfect reflection of costs, and businesses vary in how they handle that. There are lots of costs that could be spread out and in some cases they are, in some cases they aren't. Which is fine because it's entirely the business' prerogative, whether or not they're selling luxury items is irrelevant. Bottom line is that businesses have a general right to set their pricing structure as they see fit, and that's a good thing.

I hope you're enjoying your inflated utility prices. After all, it's their right.

WarpedNaba posted:

I can guess what was going through John Key's head when he signed this one off.

'150 refugees that ain't arabs? Works for me!'

Presumably you're aware of the Arabs that the government is/are letting in from Afghanistan.

roarshark fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 9, 2013

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

roarshark posted:

Presumably you're aware of the Arabs that the government is/are letting in from Afghanistan.

Ayup. But 150 from elsewhere means 150 off the minimum tally. Guess which demographic that 150 is coming from?

To be fair, though, it's still a tie between that and Somalia.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Over in the AusPol thread they are joking that we should give the refugee's citizenship and then send them to Australia ahaha

Miguel Angel Face
Apr 1, 2012

roarshark posted:

Afghanis aren't actually Arabs.

It's a common mistake to conflate Arabs and Moslems.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Afghans aren't actually Afghanis.

It's a common mistake to conflate people and currency.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
It's a common mistake to conflate biscuits and nationality.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Neither of them are dogs or biscuits, either.

Y'know, while we're clearing up possible misconceptions.

Edit - Aw poo poo, got ninja'd

Miguel Angel Face
Apr 1, 2012

newtestleper posted:

It's a common mistake to conflate biscuits and nationality.

This is the New Zealand mega thread.

You may be surprised to learn that in New Zealand, we call the biscuit an Afghan. Eating an Afghani would be cannibalism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_biscuit

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

You may be surprised to learn that in New Zealand, we call the biscuit an Afghan. Eating an Afghani would be cannibalism.

Are you money

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm very surprised to learn that. I thought an Afghan was merely a specific type of biscuit rather than a generic term for biscuits.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Jacobin posted:

Over in the AusPol thread they are joking that we should give the refugee's citizenship and then send them to Australia ahaha

I thought we already did that.
I remember a few years ago the Aussies were bitching about how easy it is for a refugee in NZ to gain citizenship and then join the exodus of other NZers moving to Australia.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TIL the threat of boat people is very real because they're being imported over here.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
News said they'd send any asylum seekers who arrive here by boat to be tortured processed on Nauru/Manus Island :thumbsup:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

This all smells of 'Do you really want to come here? Are you absolutely loving sure you'd rather not stay home?'

Aw boo-hoo they don't have homes

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

It's a common mistake to conflate biscuits and scones.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tangentially related: Campbell Live did an interesting piece about National's election promises in 2008 and the statements made by Key during campaigning, and the reality of the situation 5 years on, going so far as to gauge whether or not National has completely failed in keeping the promise of one of their key election planks back then by using Key's own words against him. It all ends with a nice :iceburn: at the end re: the asylum seekers deal.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Australia-vs-NZ-Where-are-you-better-off/tabid/367/articleID/286418/Default.aspx

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Holy poo poo, actual reporting and holding a politician to account for what he said? This must be some kind of prank. The news should spend time actually verifying the facts politicians throw out like that.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Varkk posted:

Holy poo poo, actual reporting and holding a politician to account for what he said? This must be some kind of prank. The news should spend time actually verifying the facts politicians throw out like that.

I thought the exact same thing.

Actual journalism seems really simple right? Holding people to account to things they have said, bringing back to light up some things that may have been forgotten in a respectful way. But you just barely ever come across it anymore it seems

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 12, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Campbell Live has been doing some great work recently when it comes to serious journalism. Their child poverty work last year was excellent.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Someone from NZ First said a thing

quote:

If you are a young male, aged between say about 19 and about 35, and you're a Muslim, or you look like a Muslim, or you come from a Muslim country, then you are not welcome to travel on any of the West's airlines
:catstare:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10864924

Wow, just wow. Sometimes our MPs are nothing short of an embarrassment to the entire country.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Jokes on them, there's plenty of Eastern airlines touching down in our airports. More power to 'em.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

quote:

"I will not stand by while [his daughters'] rights and freedoms of other New Zealanders and Westerners, are denigrated by a sorry pack of misogynist troglodytes from Wogistan.

quote:

Wogistan.

No loving way.

Also, learned from Gareth Hughes' twitter that SBW is a Muslim :monocle:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

quote:

Later in the article he added: "I will not stand by while [his daughters'] rights and freedoms of other New Zealanders and Westerners, are denigrated by a sorry pack of misogynist troglodytes from Wogistan.''

quote:

"They attack us, and our institutions and infrastructures, and our way of life, and our values and beliefs and precepts, because we are not like them, and for no other reason.''
:ironicat:

I do have to agree with Winston - there is an element of truth to what Prosser is saying. Most terrorists are undeniably Muslim in that when they aren't Muslim then they're lone gunmen, or psychopaths. I obviously get a different message from that than Prosser does, though.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

More than anything, Key managing to get us mixed up in Australia's lovely detainment dealings makes him look like a credulous dope. Very similar to the Kim Dotcom stuff that America wrangled us into.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

"They attack us, and our institutions and infrastructures, and our way of life, and our values and beliefs and precepts, because we are not like them, and for no other reason.''

That's just pure bullshit ala "they hate us for our freedoms". Islamic fundamentalists have plenty of valid reasons to hate the west(like imperialism in the middle east), they're not just comic book villains who are evil for the sake of it. Handy to get a reminder that New Zealand First is just pure trash pandering to racists though.

Also lol at Hone's comment:

quote:

"It's kinda like saying that no 19- to 35-year-old white guys should be allowed to go anywhere because they cause so many wars around the world.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
John Campbell :wow:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I feel strangely proud that I had to google wog to know what it meant.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

First the government refuses to let Benny Wenda speak in parliament about the plight of the West Papuans at the hands of the Indonesians, and now Murray McCully is refusing to meet with him, despite advice from the NZ Embassy in Jakarta.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10865074

Remember when Lange told the US to suck eggs when they wanted to ship that may or may not have had nuclear weapons on board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miguel Angel Face
Apr 1, 2012

A human heart posted:

That's just pure bullshit ala "they hate us for our freedoms". Islamic fundamentalists have plenty of valid reasons to hate the west(like imperialism in the middle east), they're not just comic book villains who are evil for the sake of it.

The problem is that some of them are comic book villains and they've constructed hateful theocracies that oppress and brutalise their citizens. Saudi Arabia is the obvious example, but there are others.

Fortunately most of the Moslem migrants that reach New Zealand have specifically left their original countries because they want to escape those systems. So we don't get the radicalisation that have been occurring within the migrant populations of the European countries. Hopefully their succeeding generations will learn from their parent's experiences.

quote:

Also lol at Hone's comment:

Hone is one of the worst racist shitheads that our country has produced.

I doubt that he even eats white bread.

• Locked thread