Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

qbert posted:

Welp, all my sympathy for Naevia is out the window. gently caress her PTSD. Doesn't justify murdering relatively decent dudes.
Except for the part where she was raped by a Nice Roman and all that poo poo, so I can see why she wants to just murder up all the Romans in the city, Spartacus' orders be damned. Which is a drat shame because all those other men seem to be able to keep their cool about sparing Romans except for those two guys dueling each other. Kinda sucks because I kinda like Attius. At least we have the pirates, which I assumed was going to go sour before Tiberius shows up, but it looks like they are kinda stuck having to help them now that they might know they've been seen with Spartacus and company.

I'm guessing when they find Laeta and the rest of the Romans, it's not going to be pretty. Writers are doing a good job of making the rebellion look pretty not-so-good-guyish.

Crunkjuice posted:

I have rose tinted glasses towards liam. Spartacus will always be Andy's character, but the show had to go on. Liam is doing his best and that's all i can really ask of him. The main problem i see isn't necessarily his acting, but Spartacus has no more character growth. The majority of that happened with Andy, so its tough for him to step into that role. I don't think there's an actor on the planet that would make a good Spartacus. There's no way to replicate Andy's acting, and to change anything to make it his own would be a bit of a dishonor in my opinion. I don't think he's doing a bad job per se, i just think Spartacus has kind of peaked in his character development and the other characters are WAY more interesting.
Gannicus feels like the main character when the plot isn't moving as this episode you could tell he was torn at a ton of poo poo he was going through (although Saxa was fiiiiine in that dress). I feel the same about Liam, and I think it might've fallen into the same trap even if they had Andy IMO, or even if Liam was in Blood and Sand and pulled it off amazingly. Liam has his moments, but most of the time he plays it pretty straight with good intentions and maybe being a bit too trusting (sparing Roman women and children) whilst he is surrounded by people with a bit more base instincts or their own agendas. Not that he doesn't see that they might be playing him, but sometimes it feels like he has to lead by example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

The guy who walked up to Crixus with his dick out? There's something wrong with you guys if you thought that was prosthetic.

Uh, what? Of course it was a prosthetic.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The TV IV › Spartacus: War of the Damned - Penis or Plastic?

I'm still salivating at the thought of Spartacus meets Halo next year (possibly).

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008
I feel like Spartacus character has changed dramatically from the seasons when Liam was portraying him. In the 1st season, Spartacus was like a hill billy barbarian. His grand plan to escape with his wife was to kill everyone in the compound. Now he's become some philosopher king spouting off riddles whenever he's on scene. When did he get the time to read and study? And when did he get so smug?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pinwiz11 posted:

The TV IV › Spartacus: War of the Damned - Penis or Plastic?

I'm still salivating at the thought of Spartacus meets Halo next year (possibly).

I'm hoping Incursion is more like Starship Troopers/Starcraft than Halo.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

dogpower posted:

I feel like Spartacus character has changed dramatically from the seasons when Liam was portraying him. In the 1st season, Spartacus was like a hill billy barbarian. His grand plan to escape with his wife was to kill everyone in the compound. Now he's become some philosopher king spouting off riddles whenever he's on scene. When did he get the time to read and study? And when did he get so smug?

Since he raised an army and took over a Roman city? I'm pretty sure swagger comes with such feats.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sober posted:

I'm guessing when they find Laeta and the rest of the Romans, it's not going to be pretty. Writers are doing a good job of making the rebellion look pretty not-so-good-guyish.

Everyone except Spartacus and Gannicus (maybe Crixus) are pretty much awful, not really better then their enemies. It wasn't a very nice period of history.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

teagone posted:

I'm hoping Incursion is more like Starship Troopers/Starcraft than Halo.

DeKnight said he's basically aiming for a over the top R-rated version of Halo.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Speaking of Crixus, is it just me or has he developed a speech impediment this season? I know he always had the raspy voice, but this season it's so bad I with we had subtitles.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Another great episode. Lots of cock and butt and tits and blood and pirates and I am okay with that

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I am increasingly losing interest with this show as my sympathy for Spartacus and his friends starts to dwindle down to nothing. I didn't like the sack of the city, where it was like "We're going to save the slaves from rape and death! Using rape and death!" but I was hoping this episode would have Spartacus bringing down the loving hammer of the gods on his troops with a "Hey, we're better than this" kind of speech. But instead, the only guy making arguments that surviving Romans were people and not sport got killed by Naevia because she couldn't take 2 seconds to think about the fact that the prisoners went missing at the same time that Laeta lost her shackles. Nope, nope, couldn't have anything to do with that, it must be the blacksmith.

I want to root for these guys :( I want to like them. But from the way they're acting in the city, I'm finding it harder and harder to be on their side. :sigh:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Women's Rights? posted:

I want to root for these guys :( I want to like them. But from the way they're acting in the city, I'm finding it harder and harder to be on their side. :sigh:

That's exactly the reaction the writers are going for. It's easy to root for the gladiators when they're oppressed and being used as pawns, but now that they're in control, they're becoming exactly the things they hate. While it isn't exactly a unique theme, I'm glad the writers are exploring it.

Not saying you're wrong or anything (in point of fact, it's painful to watch), but I think the show is doing a great job with their approach and they know exactly what they're doing. Instead of associating with Spartacus (like we did for the Blood and Sand and Vengeance), now the audience is associating with Gannicus. And like him, we don't like what we see, but we can't stop it. It's a nice little shift.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

3Romeo posted:

That's exactly the reaction the writers are going for. It's easy to root for the gladiators when they're oppressed and being used as pawns, but now that they're in control, they're becoming exactly the things they hate. While it isn't exactly a unique theme, I'm glad the writers are exploring it.

Not saying you're wrong or anything (in point of fact, it's painful to watch), but I think the show is doing a great job with their approach and they know exactly what they're doing. Instead of associating with Spartacus (like we did for the Blood and Sand and Vengeance), now the audience is associating with Gannicus. And like him, we don't like what we see, but we can't stop it. It's a nice little shift.

Also, while this show isn't a documentary, it's not like the slaves in the rebellion were paragons of virtue. This kind of stuff happened once the uprising started. To make it seem like they aren't just as bad in some respects as the Romans would be quite the whitewashing of history.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It is important to note that this is what happens often when opressed people are given power is they emulate their former masters because that is what they know and most of what they have been exposed to it has happened throughout history.

Also Spartacus was part of a military campaign in the first episode so him understanding tactics isn't too far fetched.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Women's Rights? posted:

I am increasingly losing interest with this show.

For a moment I was having the same issues, but then my interest was renewed when I realized that Naevia is going to die and I really want to be there when it happens. There was no excuse for killing Ganicus' Hammer Bro. :colbert:

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Also Spartacus was part of a military campaign in the first episode so him understanding tactics isn't too far fetched.

Plus we had a timeskip. so we missed a good season or two of, "Spartacus may know how to lead a plucky band of rebels, but can he tell his army's vanguard from its flank?" development.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sober posted:

Except for the part where she was raped by a Nice Roman and all that poo poo, so I can see why she wants to just murder up all the Romans in the city, Spartacus' orders be damned.

The problem is that whole story was a retcon. She has been terrible and many (most?) people already hated her, so it won't change anything.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Aphrodite posted:

The problem is that whole story was a retcon. She has been terrible and many (most?) people already hated her, so it won't change anything.

You know, I really liked her character in the first season, and I thought that her romance with Crixus was very sweet and very well done. (The scenes where she's standing next to Lucretia watching Crixus fight were, I thought, some of the most emotional in Blood and Sand.) I think that's part of the reason the recasting is so hard for me to take. Manu Bennett's selling his part, but every time he's with Naevia I just keep thinking it isn't the same woman. I mean, of course it isn't, but that's what I see more than anything. I can't see Leslie-Ann Brandt doing what this Naevia's doing, and it's really distracting.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 10, 2013

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Aphrodite posted:

The story wasn't a retcon, we already knew that Lucretia sent her to all the villas around to be raped and used as the Romans saw fit before she was finally put into the mines to die.

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

It is important to note that this is what happens often when opressed people are given power is they emulate their former masters because that is what they know and most of what they have been exposed to it has happened throughout history.

I thought Spartacus was only a regular soldier? Its been a while since I've seen the first episode. Regardless, its based loosely on a true story.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dude was obviously in charge of something.

E: I wouldn't worry too much about Naevia, guys. She holds no threat.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 10, 2013

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

3Romeo posted:

You know, I really liked her character in the first season, and I thought that her romance with Crixus was very sweet and very well done. (The scenes where she's standing next to Lucretia watching Crixus fight were, I thought, some of the most emotional in Blood and Sand.) I think that's part of the reason the recasting is so hard for me to take. Manu Bennett's selling his part, but every time he's with Naevia I just keep thinking it isn't the same woman. I mean, of course it isn't, but that's what I see more than anything. I can't see Leslie-Ann Brandt doing what this Naevia's doing, and it's really distracting.

Yeah I agree.

quote:

My bloodsoaked gladiators aren't saints
This is war, right? This is war over 2000 years ago, too. Of course there was raping and pillaging. Anything less would just make it really silly honestly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spartacus seemed like a fairly astute and intelligent soldier and he was directly speaking with Glaber so it would seem he was one of the leaders of the Thracen forces. I think it stands to reason that he and others slaves had enough military experience in their previous lives to put it all together. Although the weird part about that is his lieutenants. If I remember Gods of the Arena correctly Crixus said he had never truly been to war or killed before the arena. Gannicus may have military knowledge but he seems to spend as little time as he can sharing it. I have no idea about Agron. But in a lot of ways I thought Oenomaus and Lucius were more natural lieutenants since they were presented as wise and knowledgeable. There's no one left to fill that role.

And yeah, I don't have a real problem with the change in tone. It's very much showing the horrors of war and this was never really a fight of good versus evil. The slaves have our support because slavery is evil and what they went through was wrong, but that doesn't make them good people. He'll for the most part we know them to be hot headed, blood thirsty, often times racist, bastards. I don't hate Naevia. I'm not on her side either. I'm not sure she's all that different from Agron who also has his share of trauma, racism, and murderous rage. They're all pretty messed up so I'm not minding that this season is really focusing on that and really asking us to see it and explore it from Gannicus' perspective, the guy who never wanted this war because he always feared innocents dying for it.

I also like Laeta and Crassus and his wife reminding us that all Romans aren't evil, crazy, murderous monsters. We went through three seasons of Batiutus, Lucretia, Glaber, Ilithyia, Ashur, and cartoons like the Egyption and Rapeface. It's kind of cool that for the end game the slaves' rivals aren't crazy, evil bastards but just soldiers and Roman citizens. Many of whom actually seem to be pretty kind to slaves and might oppose the very idea of slavery in a slightly different society that would allow such change.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

dogpower posted:

I thought Spartacus was only a regular soldier? Its been a while since I've seen the first episode. Regardless, its based loosely on a true story.

He was just a soldier, but he fought for Thrace and the Romans for an indeterminate amount of time before being taken into slavery. He's obviously very intelligent, and someone like him would easily be able to glean tactics from the commanders of the battles he's been in, given the nature of warfare at the time.

There's also huge time gaps between S1-S2 and S2-S3. He went from leading a group of a couple dozen slaves to building an army the size of a city, and fighting Romans all along the way. He's bound to learn a lot about how to lead an army and how the Romans lead theirs on his way from the ludus to where we see him today.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zamin posted:

He was just a soldier, but he fought for Thrace and the Romans for an indeterminate amount of time before being taken into slavery. He's obviously very intelligent, and someone like him would easily be able to glean tactics from the commanders of the battles he's been in, given the nature of warfare at the time.

There's also huge time gaps between S1-S2 and S2-S3. He went from leading a group of a couple dozen slaves to building an army the size of a city, and fighting Romans all along the way. He's bound to learn a lot about how to lead an army and how the Romans lead theirs on his way from the ludus to where we see him today.

Remember when he was playing games with Batiatus, Batiatus talked about how he was good at war games and thought like a Roman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hollylolly posted:

The story wasn't a retcon, we already knew that Lucretia sent her to all the villas around to be raped and used as the Romans saw fit before she was finally put into the mines to die.

The specific story she told was new to justify her insane hatred and mistrust of the Romans though.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Aphrodite posted:

The specific story she told was new to justify her insane hatred and mistrust of the Romans though.

Okay, but that's not how "retcon" is commonly used. The writers didn't change anything, they just expanded on what we already knew with more, non-contradictory information. It's also not exactly new that Naevia was abused by the Romans and severely hosed up as a result. That's been an on-going plot thread since the second season.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Remember when he was playing games with Batiatus, Batiatus talked about how he was good at war games and thought like a Roman.

And the historical Spartacus was a good case of a amateur military leader who managed to defeat a enemy who had big advantages due to his use unconventional tactics and effective leadership abilities.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Aphrodite posted:

A retcon is rewriting past history -- Naevia explaining a new story isn't one. We only know snippets of what she had to deal with as she was passed around Rome and abused.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
My mind would be completely hosed if they reveal that Navia's story was made up. Please Spartacus writers work in a slave that worked at the villa where she claims she was tortured. I want to see Ganicus rip her apart for Blacksmith Bro.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wandle Cax posted:

Uh, what? Of course it was a prosthetic.

Yup, the first time i noticed it was in Season 2 where the bald Gaul jumps off the table with his cock out, and it doesn't hit him in the belly button. Episode where they free Nasir.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Science posted:

My mind would be completely hosed if they reveal that Navia's story was made up. Please Spartacus writers work in a slave that worked at the villa where she claims she was tortured. I want to see Ganicus rip her apart for Blacksmith Bro.

I really wish Naevia's new actress was better. Even as-is, I think her descent into being a totally unsympathetic character is really interesting and its a shame her performance isn't really doing that arc much credit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

I really wish Naevia's new actress was better. Even as-is, I think her descent into being a totally unsympathetic character is really interesting and its a shame her performance isn't really doing that arc much credit.

Yeah, she's a pretty terrible actress. That monologue she gave to Crixus this past episode had a hilariously bad delivery. I miss the old Naevia :(

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
I'm not really seeing the terrible acting people keep mentioning. I mean, there are certainly better actors in the cast, but I don't think she stands out as particularly awful. I just think Naevia is a completely boring character that I have no reason to really care about. The change of actors between season 1 and 2 certainly doesn't help, but I didn't pay that much attention to Naevia in season 1 either. After she murdered that cool Not-Roman blacksmith for no good reason though, my apathy has changed into active resentment. I hope she gets her comeuppance for that.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

LordArgh posted:

I'm not really seeing the terrible acting people keep mentioning. I mean, there are certainly better actors in the cast, but I don't think she stands out as particularly awful. I just think Naevia is a completely boring character that I have no reason to really care about. The change of actors between season 1 and 2 certainly doesn't help, but I didn't pay that much attention to Naevia in season 1 either. After she murdered that cool Not-Roman blacksmith for no good reason though, my apathy has changed into active resentment. I hope she gets her comeuppance for that.
Same. Her acting doesn't strike me as particularly bad, but I just did not care about her character at all. It's bad enough that all those people died to rescue her, and Crixus got himself captured over it, but now she's insisting on remaining a massive liability and I am beginning to actively dislike her.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SpaceMost posted:

Same. Her acting doesn't strike me as particularly bad, but I just did not care about her character at all. It's bad enough that all those people died to rescue her, and Crixus got himself captured over it, but now she's insisting on remaining a massive liability and I am beginning to actively dislike her.

I wonder if they are using to create the split between Crixus and Spartacus. Since the two of them are on pretty good terms the only reason they would separate of it was due to a strategy or something else(her)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LordArgh posted:

She's equivalent to Michonne on The Walking Dead; having a perma-scowl on your face with dead-pan line delivery isn't acting. But I'll be honest, I don't watch this show for its acting merits, heh.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I hope that Sibell girl was secretly in the shadows or something and tells Gannicus what a crazy rear end in a top hat Naveia was.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Naevia quite clearly has serious PTSD that we've had strongly telegraphed but nobody in the show has noticed. I feel sorry for her victims but that doesn't make her any less of a victim herself.

I think the theme of this season is personal trauma and absolution. Naevia is losing the battle with her demons. Episode 1 outright stated that for Spartacus to find peace he needs to learn to forgive himself. Crassus is on the path to a hollow victory that will ultimately deny him true satisfaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Since Caesar and Crassus seem to be competent and normal manipulative enemies, this show needs to have more characters with 'I want him/her to get stabbed in the face, repeatedly' feelings attached to them. I don't care if its the good guys or the bad guys

• Locked thread