Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

einTier posted:

I need a chicken dude for my halloween display. Paypal?

Tried to send info back but your PM box is full!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I got a extra Orc Space Marine thing if anybody wants it for trade.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I went the plane route this time.

I was really happy with how it turned out. I wanted to do an open cockpit like the 1930's planes. It's a more straight forward build than what I've been doing for these, I focused more on aesthetics than clever building techniques.

He has a rifle for scuffles.

I really like this binocular gatling gun. I've used this style in 3 MOC's so far.

This li'l plane inspired me, but I can't for the life of me find the set it's from, any ideas? I thought it was Studios.

For the space theme I made a micro Enterprise.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I made fat plane.

Also, this video has a bunch of preliminary images of some Star Wars stuff.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So there I am in the Wal-Mart and as I approach the Lego section I see a dad pawing the minifig bags for his son. I pull a couple out for myself and just feel them to check for skirts since I have those out of series 9 already but beyond that I'm no good at pawing minifig bags. As I do he's saying to his son that he thinks he's tracked down a cop for him.

I come home and crack my mostly-blind picks and... yup, got a cop. Hope that kid got his too though.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I know this has come up in the thread before but I couldn't find the post. Isn't there a way to pick a set of bricks on Bricklink and have it search through its sellers to make it find the fewest stores to cut down on shipping costs? I've got about a dozen parts or so that have been lost over 4 sets and I'm looking to replace them as cheap as possible.

Edit: VVV Great, thank you!

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 9, 2013

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

I know this has come up in the thread before but I couldn't find the post. Isn't there a way to pick a set of bricks on Bricklink and have it search through its sellers to make it find the fewest stores to cut down on shipping costs? I've got about a dozen parts or so that have been list over 4 sets and I'm looking to replace them as cheap as possible.

Add the pieces in the appropriate colors you want to a Wanted List. Under the Wanted tab, click the By Shop tab. Choose the Wanted List you made, and sort by Lots (Unique). Click the store that has all or most of your parts, and then click Auto-Fill Cart (Min), and click Add to Shopping Cart at the bottom of the page. If there are multiple pages, you'll have to go to each page and click Add to Shopping Cart.

I just did it for the first shop on the list for my Cafe Corner list, and it came out to 236 unique lots, 2008 in-shop parts out of 2058 set parts at nearly $600 USD, from Portugal.

Of course, it's not necessarily the cheapest. A US store with 211 lots came up with 1342 pieces at $460, but they were also charging $10 each for 16x32 baseplates that I can get for $2 elsewhere.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 9, 2013

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Official alternate builds to the less than inspiring TMNT sets have been released.

Too bad that loving amazing retro TMNT party van isn't an official alternate build.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010
I made a plane but then I dropped it and the propellers broke. So I put a wheel on there instead and I think it looks pretty cool. There are some really old yellowish white bricks mixed with some brand new white bricks in there.

And I also made a "what if M-Tron made the Star Hawk II" ship. I am terrible at detailing though so it looks really plain.

I'm working another wing set for it where you could twist something in the back and it would spread apart but remain one piece instead of the two wings and a hull thing going on now.

stuie
May 11, 2009
Here is my submission for the bi-weekly build off. Yes, I am horrible at taking pictures.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

stuie posted:

Here is my submission for the bi-weekly build off. Yes, I am horrible at taking pictures.

That looks awesome, can you get more light on it and get more photos? Usually all you need to make a lovely camera look better is more light.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
How bad is the shipping rip-off on average at Bricklink? At least on ebay it tells me how much shipping will be up front, as I bought a new-in-box pair of sets on Bricklink and the guy charged me 17$ loving dollars for shipping two small boxes (20$ and 10$ sets).

Is that normal for that site? If I had known it would be that much I would have looked elsewhere. The cost of shipping definitely didn't off set how much cheaper the sets were supposed to be if found on ebay.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I just got done ordering a set from a girl in Italy. She had a handy shipping chart on her stores page. Unfortunately I had no way of knowing for sure until I hit buy but I got my invoice later and it matched. It was only $6 usd to ship my box from Italy which I thought was pretty drat good.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Shipping lego boxes can be expensive, and out of 50+ orders in a year only one person 'overcharged' me on shipping, quoting me $15 and it was only $9. I contacted them saying it was a little excessive and if they wanted me to leave positive feedback on the store to kick me back the $6 (I didn't care so much about the money ,just the principal of it) and the person did send it back. Rest of the time shipping is within $2-3 of actual cost.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I made a jet for the bi-weekly build off.

Very swooshable.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Buildoff time! This time I decided to make a small command/service module type craft, which could dock to a series of specialized modules in order to fulfill certain mission roles.

For cargo hauling and EWAR purposes, we've got the "Brise"

For general exploration, we've got the workhorse "Soleil"

And for long-range combat, we've got the "Tempête"

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

MaliciousOnion posted:

Had a go at something a bit more ambitious for the build-off

stuie posted:

MaliciousOnion posted:

Is this week's build-off still going?

Trying to keep my builds simple while I learn.

Can't decide which I like most, these are all great

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

bought the PF battery box of bricklink the other day, 8$ for shipping fron czech to germany.
All my other orders were from stores in germany, none of them overcharged for shipping either.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Great builds guys!. Don't forget to vote for next weeks themes(they are in my original post)

also here

Next period theme possibilities
-Movie pieces, things from movies that are recognizable
-Architecture
-Modern War
-Deep Sea
-Greek/Roman/Classical
-Interior Decorations

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Merchant of Death posted:

Shipping lego boxes can be expensive, and out of 50+ orders in a year only one person 'overcharged' me on shipping, quoting me $15 and it was only $9. I contacted them saying it was a little excessive and if they wanted me to leave positive feedback on the store to kick me back the $6 (I didn't care so much about the money ,just the principal of it) and the person did send it back. Rest of the time shipping is within $2-3 of actual cost.

They probably over charged me because I just made a new account and they can probably just do that to new people with little to no feedback who don't know any better.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
As someone who dips back into LEGO periodically, when and where is the best time to buy normal store sets (as opposed to hard to find/exclusive things)? Are they rotated on a certain schedule? Do specific retailers tend to never offer sales? I'm thinking about some of the Monster Fighters stuff specifically that I'd like to pick up if they were cheaper - though I gather that the Haunted House will not go one sale, so I should just Amazon that if I want it. Speaking of, is Amazon generally good price wise? Also, if it's relevant, i'm stuck in the Midwest, so my area specific chain is probably Meijer.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Karnegal posted:

As someone who dips back into LEGO periodically, when and where is the best time to buy normal store sets (as opposed to hard to find/exclusive things)? Are they rotated on a certain schedule? Do specific retailers tend to never offer sales? I'm thinking about some of the Monster Fighters stuff specifically that I'd like to pick up if they were cheaper - though I gather that the Haunted House will not go one sale, so I should just Amazon that if I want it. Speaking of, is Amazon generally good price wise? Also, if it's relevant, i'm stuck in the Midwest, so my area specific chain is probably Meijer.

Monster Fighters is going end of life (EOL), as seen by the Zombies set which vanished from everywhere and now goes for 3x the retail price. This means that whatever is left around places in stock is all that there will be, and most people think they will go on clearance to make way for the new stuff in summer.

Monster Fighter was new for summer 2012, and is slowly disappearing now (except for the Haunted House, which was a Lego.com exclusive that Amazon got stock in). There were new sets for Winter 2013 (Chima, new Star Wars), so this summer will be when they need to make room in stores for new stuff and MF will be most likely gone for good.

Amazon is okay for no shipping on large things, but in most states they now are forced to charge tax. Lego.com has tax + shipping, but also VIP points.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

3 posted:

Buildoff time! This time I decided to make a small command/service module type craft, which could dock to a series of specialized modules in order to fulfill certain mission roles.

For cargo hauling and EWAR purposes, we've got the "Brise"

For general exploration, we've got the workhorse "Soleil"

And for long-range combat, we've got the "Tempête"

I love this really love this. It's got a nice charm to it with the blockiness.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

AzMiLion posted:

Great builds guys!. Don't forget to vote for next weeks themes(they are in my original post)

also here

-Movie pieces, things from movies that are recognizable
-Architecture
-Modern War
-Deep Sea
-Greek/Roman/Classical
-Interior Decorations

Casting votes for Deep Sea and Architecture. I have a few suggestions for future themes, as well:

Cargo / Delivery
Industry / Manufacturing
Nature
Post-apocalyptic / Dystopian
Lego City sets 50 years from now
Mix historic and futuristic themes: Space feudalism and medieval astronauts
Hollywood (Movie sets, partial scenery, filmmakers, actors and crew)

stuie
May 11, 2009
I vote for roman/classical. Here are some improved pictures of my entry.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

stuie posted:

I like this a lot. Cool build!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

jeeves posted:

Monster Fighters is going end of life (EOL), as seen by the Zombies set which vanished from everywhere and now goes for 3x the retail price. This means that whatever is left around places in stock is all that there will be, and most people think they will go on clearance to make way for the new stuff in summer.

Monster Fighter was new for summer 2012, and is slowly disappearing now (except for the Haunted House, which was a Lego.com exclusive that Amazon got stock in). There were new sets for Winter 2013 (Chima, new Star Wars), so this summer will be when they need to make room in stores for new stuff and MF will be most likely gone for good.

Amazon is okay for no shipping on large things, but in most states they now are forced to charge tax. Lego.com has tax + shipping, but also VIP points.

So wait a few months?

I believe my state (Illinois) lost the tax battle, so at even prices, Amazon is way cheaper vs our nearly 10% sales tax.

Also, where the hell are these minifig bags everyone is talking about? Meijer, Walmart, and Target had nothing.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

stuie posted:

Coolness

That looks really nice!

I tweaked my jet a little and added some stuff.

Featuring a working air brake!

I vote for Deep Sea and Greek/Roman/Classical.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

General Specific posted:

medieval astronauts

Please do this.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Am I too late for the build?

Trying to render this gave an error, something about colours not being recognized. I think I tried going for a Batlefleet Leviathan theme here, just a colourful space monstrocity floating around the cosmos, waiting to scoop ships into it's little mouth.

My vote is for deep sea/underwater.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

For the buildoff, I'd like to see alternate builds of individual sets. Seeing Tower Bridge mechs and Cafe Corner starships would be fun, but it would be really great seeing somebody turn a $20 set into something radically differently.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Karnegal posted:

So wait a few months?

I believe my state (Illinois) lost the tax battle, so at even prices, Amazon is way cheaper vs our nearly 10% sales tax.
Well, Werewolf is already on mega-sale on Amazon (13 bux for a 20bux set), so it looks like they are clearing out Monster Fighter stuff now.

As for the tax battle, lucky for you if you don't pay taxes on Amazon.

Karnegal posted:

Also, where the hell are these minifig bags everyone is talking about? Meijer, Walmart, and Target had nothing.
Those big name stores probably don't carry them anymore since they were so easy to shoplift due to not having any sort of magnetic strip or such on them, and they were skinny enough to probably throw 3-4 in your pocket and walk out with.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Oh god, that stagecoach looks awesome and the train isn't too shabby either.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

FadingChord posted:

For the buildoff, I'd like to see alternate builds of individual sets. Seeing Tower Bridge mechs and Cafe Corner starships would be fun, but it would be really great seeing somebody turn a $20 set into something radically differently.

Decided to do a take on this for my entry for this build off. I took the creator set 7345 Transport Chopper and built a couple of spaceships out of it. Nothing too fancy but I like them!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The Lone Ranger film could be the biggest turd in the world for all I care, these are too cool.
I'll probably end up getting everything from this line.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm not so keen on the line in general, but the mine set has this really satisfying bulk to it, like a modular building, and is relatively inexpensive.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Krazyface posted:

I'm not so keen on the line in general, but the mine set has this really satisfying bulk to it, like a modular building, and is relatively inexpensive.

I love them all, but I am half in it for the western minifigs. Still, that train would be badass regardless.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

:siren:Build-off over!:siren:
A lot more builds this week, wich is awesome! Cool spaceships and planes for everybody! to prevent this post from becoming absolutely masive, you can click the name in the quote to go to the post!
:siren:Goon bi-Weekly Build off 4: Dark of the AFOL:siren:
The bi-weekly LEGOONS Build-off is a way to keep developing your skill with LEGO in whatever form you work with it, whether it’s real bricks, LDD, MLDCAD or some other way. Every two weeks there will be a theme posted in which you can participate and build MOCs fitting to that theme.

How do I participate?
Simple, state in a post that you are participating in one of the themes and post progress shots or a finished MOC once you are done.
We also have a flickr group set up for this now. it's right here

Theme voting
At the start of each build-off I’ll be posting the current theme(s) and a list of options for the next themes, if you prefer a theme you can cast a vote for the next theme! You can cast a total of two votes, since there are two themes per period.

Is it a :toxx:
No, toxxes are unfun.

Themes for these two weeks!
-Deep Sea
-Greek/Roman/Classical

:siren:Deadline:siren:
The deadline for this build-off is March 3rd!
Once you post a finished MOC, also post two themes you would like to see next from the list below!, everybody gets to cast two votes!

-Modern War
-Interior Decorations
-Cargo / Delivery
-Industry / Manufacturing
-Nature
-Post-apocalyptic / Dystopian
-Lego City sets 50 years from now
-Mix historic and futuristic themes: Space feudalism and medieval astronauts
-Hollywood (Movie sets, partial scenery, filmmakers, actors and crew)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Lone Ranger film could be the biggest turd in the world for all I care, these are too cool.
I'll probably end up getting everything from this line.

I find myself unaccountably excited that some of those minifigs have chaps painted on them. Chaps!