Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

woot fatigue posted:

I do this a lot. What will usually happen is I'll put together a quote/package for a client, say it comes to $40,000. They come back to me and say they only budgeted for $25,000. If the client provides a product or service I can make use of, I will propose to accept part of my payment in trade in order to meet in the middle of my quote and their budget. So in the end I'll take $25,000 cash plus $7,500 in trade/credit (which is nice as it doesn't show up as income). It also helps out a lot because if I have a good relationship with a client I'll end up using their services and buying their products durning and after the project and they in return will use mine. Basically we'll just end up keeping tabs for each other.

Right now my trades have been for clothing and furniture. In the past I've used it for travel, hotel rooms and house rentals, photo equipment, and housing (75% off rent in a building a client owned).

I'm not sure how it is in other industries, but as a self-employed photographer working for larger companies there are a lot of perks. If you build a good relationship with a client and they like your product they'll not only keep coming back, but they'll pass you on to their trusted network of friends and businesses, and at a certain point it becomes less about the money and more about loyalty. A "keep it in the family" thing.

This sounds awesome. How do you feel about losing $7500 on your original estimate? Although I'm sure, like you said, the return business you get from them makes up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Santa is strapped posted:

This sounds awesome. How do you feel about losing $7500 on your original estimate? Although I'm sure, like you said, the return business you get from them makes up for that.

Quote high to leave room for negotiation. It's a tricky game as you don't want to quote too high to where they'd be offended or not even consider it, but you also don't want to quote too low because for most people high price = high quality.

If they want to go with a lower price I'll work with the client to remove some of the extra services, lower the quantity of photos, see if any expenses can be provided in-house (props, assistance, etc). Then once the project gets going and they begin to see the results they can always add back those services/products later. Usually I'll end up going beyond the scope of my contract and throwing in extra work for free if it's the difference between a cool result and an amazing result. Once they see you're enthusiastic and "in this together" it makes things much easier. Some projects are fun or unique or a great opportunity and as long as I'm not losing money I'm happy.

Usually if you're in the position with a client to negotiate projects reaching over five figures, you've already done some smaller jobs with them and have a better idea of their budgets and spending habits.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

SoundMonkey posted:

I WANTED to like their system, the 35mm f/3.5 macro lens is a loving great lens for the price, but with the sorta lackluster pro-level body selection and expensive/non-existent lenses I sorta couldn't justify it :(

Putting a thumbnail sized sensor in a DSLR body is probably something that made a lot of sense on paper in 1998. Not so much now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mightaswell posted:

Putting a thumbnail sized sensor in a DSLR body is probably something that made a lot of sense on paper in 1998. Not so much now.
It never made sense for the same reason bridge cameras make no sense. But hey they sell lots of bridge cameras so whatever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bridge cameras are the crossover vehicles of the camera world. People like the idea of a hybrid product, even if in execution they suck, largely combining the worst features of both categories.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Bridge cameras are the crossover vehicles of the camera world. People like the idea of a hybrid product, even if in execution they suck, largely combining the worst features of both categories.
And then Sony came along and still embarrassed the m43 crowd with their NEX'es. A smaller sensor just gets you potentially smaller optics. Of course Sony being Sony the NEX lens lineup ended up being dismal at best for years, but you know...

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

evil_bunnY posted:

And then Sony came along and still embarrassed the m43 crowd with their NEX'es. A smaller sensor just gets you potentially smaller optics. Of course Sony being Sony the NEX lens lineup ended up being dismal at best for years, but you know...

But Sony has yet to build a body that can compete with the OM-D.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd like to thank all of you because this was basically the first time I'd gotten to discuss the 4/3 system with anyone in this forum for like 6 months. :unsmith:

I shall now retreat to my cave where I will clutch my oddball glass and whisper sweet nothings to it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

SoundMonkey posted:

I WANTED to like their system, the 35mm f/3.5 macro lens is a loving great lens for the price, but with the sorta lackluster pro-level body selection and expensive/non-existent lenses I sorta couldn't justify it :(

But enough about Pentax :v:

I wonder how how it'll take the over-diversification of camera systems gets to the point where every manufacturer makes something like 4~5 systems.

:w00t: Niche markets! WE GOTTA FILL THEM!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Kazy posted:

But enough about Pentax :v:

I wonder how how it'll take the over-diversification of camera systems gets to the point where every manufacturer makes something like 4~5 systems.

:w00t: Niche markets! WE GOTTA FILL THEM!

:negative:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Eegah posted:

MILC is a better acronym anyway.

I was always partial to Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

troubleshootin' thread i started at pentax forums, maybe better help's here:

I use a K7 with its pc sync port to fire Norman 202 power pack lights. I had a shoot last year where they were working fine - the next week I had another shoot and all of a sudden the lights stopped firing.

The lights flash when I connect them to the camera - but not when I take a photo camera (on X-Sync mode, or anything else under the 1/180 sync limit).

I just ordered a hot shoe adapter - and yet again the same problem happens! The strobes fire when they're connected but not when I take a photo.

No idea what's going on here. I do have a Pentax hot-shoe flash which I lent a friend. Everything else functions as normal.

e: a guy posted there and i remember reading about it awhile ago - that the flash voltage can kill cameras. mine seems to work fine with the exception of this issue. i dont know if it'd be possible to just blow the sync circuit?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nothing made in the past 10 years should blow it though.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Also on any well-designed camera the hotshoe and the PC socket don't share the same circuitry (on good Nikon bodies at least, the PC socket can also handle significantly higher voltages than the hotshoe can).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

Nothing made in the past 10 years should blow it though.

guidoanselmi posted:

Norman 202 power pack lights.

The 202s are older and can have sync voltages of up to 200v.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

The 202s are older and can have sync voltages of up to 200v.
Ouch?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

yeah then i have no idea how i was able to use them for several years and then all of a sudden, between shoots, have it go bad? if i did kill the body, i hope it wont be a pricey repair :(

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I was interviewed by an online photo magazine blog thing.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Any good YouTube channels for general photography tips/tricks/ideas/inspiration/gear/etc?

I followed DigitalRevCom for a while but they've really gone to poo poo.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Did my job, blogged you on tumblr. Of course, mainly because I think that's a kick-rear end image. Nice job!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

Any good YouTube channels for general photography tips/tricks/ideas/inspiration/gear/etc?

http://www.youtube.com/user/BHPhotoVideoProAudio

B&H has good videos.

I haven't said it before but I'll say it again - your poo poo is tight. Great interview.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 13, 2013

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

I really like your work.

BANME.sh posted:

Yes they have. The Kai's presentation effort has fallen through the floor. They were cute for about a week after I discovered the videos, and now I don't even bother - it's just the same crap over and over. I can only imagine having to do that for a job. For some reason, Luminous Landscape really feels like a great site for reviews, tips, and general reading.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TheCameraStoreTV does pretty good camera reviews, basically digitalrev without the euphemisms.

They've hinted they at doing educational clips in the future.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

I bought a lens from this guy! :woop:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

krooj posted:

I really like your work.

Me too

krooj posted:

Yes they have. The Kai's presentation effort has fallen through the floor. They were cute for about a week after I discovered the videos, and now I don't even bother - it's just the same crap over and over. I can only imagine having to do that for a job. For some reason, Luminous Landscape really feels like a great site for reviews, tips, and general reading.

Yeah, I burned through a lot of the tutorial/help type videos in a couple weeks. I get that they are trying really hard to be the Top Gear UK of cameras, but there needs to be a better balance of quality/goofiness.

Thanks!

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

TheCameraStoreTV does pretty good camera reviews, basically digitalrev without the euphemisms.

They've hinted they at doing educational clips in the future.

Agreed, I think they're great.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCameraStoreTV

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fragrag posted:

Did my job, blogged you on tumblr. Of course, mainly because I think that's a kick-rear end image. Nice job!

Santa is strapped posted:

I haven't said it before but I'll say it again - your poo poo is tight. Great interview.

krooj posted:

I really like your work.

Thanks guys :cool:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I like DigitalRev because it's a nice contrast to the pixel-peeper type of reviews. I like that they usually gloss over all the ticky-tack specs and talk about how the equipment handles in actual use as opposed to how it shoots in a studio on a tripod. Considering that the show is an extension of an online store, Kai and all are surprisingly blunt in their reviews.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
They're the Top Gear of photography, which is A-OK for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bobfather posted:

They're the Top Gear of photography, which is A-OK for me.

They are, but the effort out of the past few months has been pretty dismal. They probably just need to take a break, get their legs back.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

drat. It's always fun to put together the real name with the SAForums name. I've been admiring your photos for awhile. Truly phenomenal stuff.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

woot fatigue posted:

drat. It's always fun to put together the real name with the SAForums name. I've been admiring your photos for awhile. Truly phenomenal stuff.

This means a lot coming from you, so thanks :allears:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

I kinda actually hated DigitalRev. Maybe because I don't like Kai because I have deep down hatred for hipsters.

On the other hand, I'm a pretty big fan of The Grid Live with Scott Kelby & Matt Kloskowski. I'm not sure if they upload everything to youtube, however the videos they have on the site should play on most things and they have it as a podcast (I actually watch it on my TiVo). It's kind of like a photography talk show where they discuss various things currently going on in the world of photography. Overall the guys on the show are pretty down to earth and they're not afraid to call out buillshit (like the hype around the X100 when it came out). I've listened to a lot of photography podcasts/shows and The Grid is right at the top along with The Candid Frame.

I also like they're in Tampa and sometimes talk about Florida stuff like how awesome Publix is, why it's near impossible to be a landscape photographer in FL, and how the snow birds invade during the winter.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Most photos of drag racing (especially Yet Another Wheelstand) don't do much for me, but you really nailed it with that one. Fantastic work.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Good stuff.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Haggins posted:

I kinda actually hated DigitalRev. Maybe because I don't like Kai because I have deep down hatred for hipsters.

I get not liking Kai, he's got a weird sense of humor, but :wtc:. Is he a hipster because he wears a hat? Because he still shoots film sometimes? What a bizarre thing to say.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I get not liking Kai, he's got a weird sense of humor, but :wtc:. Is he a hipster because he wears a hat? Because he still shoots film sometimes? What a bizarre thing to say.

It's the glasses.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I must say I'm a big fan of the Film Photography Podcast, it's a bit goofy but a lot of fun every two weeks.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I don't need to explain my hipster bigotry :colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Laurent Schwebel was stabbed and killed and his camera stolen while taking pictures in Buenos Aires. :smith: loving ridiculous.

e: sorry, didn't mean to interrupt what constitutes being a "hipster"; carry on.

rio fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 13, 2013