Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I would suspect one of those mysteries where the victim is murdered in plain sight of all the suspects, but those are usually waaay hard and this is the first mystery of the game, so it's traditional that it be a little easier than the others.

I'm guessing the thing he wants to share with them are tales of the good old days where he defeated Monobear single-handedly in a battle of wits. And Naegi was there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

orenronen posted:

Ah, I thought you would be. From the moment I first saw you, I thought you'd make a great househusband.

I really hope Koizumi doesn’t go complete Valerie Solanas when the murder train starts, because that character development is just too obvious for her at this point. She’s fine just being dominant and passive-aggressive to any man she currently disapproves of.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I'm seeing one really big flaw with this plan: Togami said all of that, openly, in the restaurant. Somewhere where Monobear would be able to hear it. And considering the entire class (save Kuzuryuu) was there, it seems really likely Monobear would have been monitoring the restaurant at the moment. He probably knows all about this Avoid Monobear Party, and now has a few hours to set up a camera in the lodge beforehand, or something.

Hell, what's to stop Monobear from just physically showing up and walking into the lodge? Just get there before anyone else, hide, and eavesdrop directly?
Yeah, if I were Togami I would just sternly inform each student individually about this party whenever I happened to catch them in a private place.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Hanamura is just so...punchable.

As a plus that face looks soft, you could probably punch all day.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I'm seeing one really big flaw with this plan: Togami said all of that, openly, in the restaurant. Somewhere where Monobear would be able to hear it. And considering the entire class (save Kuzuryuu) was there, it seems really likely Monobear would have been monitoring the restaurant at the moment. He probably knows all about this Avoid Monobear Party, and now has a few hours to set up a camera in the lodge beforehand, or something.

Hell, what's to stop Monobear from just physically showing up and walking into the lodge? Just get there before anyone else, hide, and eavesdrop directly?

Honestly, I think Togami is smart enough that he'd be aware of this, so I kind of doubt that his immediate concern is whether or not Monobear knows about this part of his plan or not. I mean, he even drat near explicitly acknowledges during this conversation that Monobear can probably see and hear everything over the security system.

I think the likely reason he wants to keep Monobear out isn't because he has secrets to divulge; I don't think he's stupid enough to think that there's anywhere he can safely do so. More likely in my view: what he's concerned with is more about Monobear agitating the group any further. This whole set up just smacks of a set-up to try to keep all the students in one place where they all have an eye on each other to prevent anyone from harming anyone. He's doing a better job at keeping the group sane and orderly than the DR1 group ever was throughout their whole ordeal, so it's going to be all that much harsher when he inevitably fails. :smith:

TheBystander posted:

I do have to wonder when the first murder will happen, though. Maybe it's just the speed at which this threads progressing, but it feels like it's taken longer for one to occur. I suppose there could be some factors to consider, though: we don't have someone like Maizono around, so perhaps this group is a little more emotionally balanced than the last. There's also the fact that the setting is a beautiful island resort as opposed to an oppressive claustrophobic building, so its inhabitant are just naturally less stressed for the time being. I expect Monobear may have to up the ante if he wants to start a killing spree (though the giant killer robots were a good start).

I think if you look at in terms of absolute amount of text, DR2 has been taking longer than the last game. I don't think oren has changed around the length of his updates very much- DR1 took 13 updates to reach the first murder and 22 to finish things up to the end of the first chapter, whereas in DR2 we're at update 20 with no murder yet.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
So I was reading through past updates out of boredom and noticed something odd. Take a look at the monitors where Usagi/Monomi and Monobear show up.

The rooms are different if the background is any indication. Not just the chairs, but even the rooms have different furnishing. Monobear looks like he's behind a pool and Usagi is in a room. Now go back to this part that the thread mentioned before.

orenronen posted:

I mean, what are those surveillance cameras for? Are they for Monobear's exclusive use?

What if Usagi/Monomi has her own monitoring system separate from Monobear's? That's how she keeps popping up at just the right time whenever she pleases. If the above monitor images are any proof, it's that she is located in an entirely different area than Monobear is.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

ColdPie posted:

I'd love to hear what the original JP pun was.

おはいただきますよう

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

orenronen posted:

おはいただきますよう

Pretty straightforward then, "eatings" is practically a literal translation while still accounting for the pun.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

lotus circle posted:

So I was reading through past updates out of boredom and noticed something odd. Take a look at the monitors where Usagi/Monomi and Monobear show up.

The rooms are different if the background is any indication. Not just the chairs, but even the rooms have different furnishing. Monobear looks like he's behind a pool and Usagi is in a room. Now go back to this part that the thread mentioned before.

What if Usagi/Monomi has her own monitoring system separate from Monobear's? That's how she keeps popping up at just the right time whenever she pleases. If the above monitor images are any proof, it's that she is located in an entirely different area than Monobear is.

Sounds like we're kind of on the same frequency. The thing I'm really picking up on as potentially important is it seems that Monomi stopped instantly showing up from nowhere as soon as she became Monomi, whereas Monobear still does that. The entire group (roughly) being in a single place seems to have become a prerequisite for her to appear at all. An educated complete shot in the dark: ever since Monobear took over is that her functioning depends on the presence of one of the students and if she showed herself to smaller groups people might start noticing correlations.

Questions I'm wondering: do the two different rooms combined with this conversation imply two different broadcast centers? In DR1 the broadcast center turned out to be a key part of Junko's base of operations- are these operating centers the same way at all?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I took that as for most of her life people tended to ignore her.

I threw a vote her way this time mainly because I want to know whats up with her.

Hinata mentioned that he "Wondered what her life was like" so I'd imagine so.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Anatharon posted:

Hinata mentioned that he "Wondered what her life was like" so I'd imagine so.

Considering what this game is like, she probably had a normal childhood, and not an abusive one like you expect from such a character.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
This has probably been said, hopefully, but two things: Thank you, Fedule, for making that poll off-site.

Second, I am really disappointed in the leading choices. SHL luck and SHL heir, the characters that are practically identical to characters from last game. This would be a good time to talk to SHL Gangster. He's the only character except SHL heir who's been acting with any kind of autonomy, he's probably going to be involved in the upcoming murder somehow. So this might be the last time to get any extra perspective (beyond all his "I am so tough" talk) on him before he's dead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I thought everyone has the same number of scenes, though I have no idea how that works.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

This has probably been said, hopefully, but two things: Thank you, Fedule, for making that poll off-site.

You're welcome... except that that was all Oren. I didn't do anything beyond not object to it.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Second, I am really disappointed in the leading choices. SHL luck and SHL heir, the characters that are practically identical to characters from last game. This would be a good time to talk to SHL Gangster. He's the only character except SHL heir who's been acting with any kind of autonomy, he's probably going to be involved in the upcoming murder somehow. So this might be the last time to get any extra perspective (beyond all his "I am so tough" talk) on him before he's dead.

I get what you're saying, but at this stage, all these new characters are just white noise to me. Nagito and Togami, on the other hand, are the only characters who intrigue me. If I chose anyone else to talk to, it would be because "OMG SO WACKY".

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Sorry I meant Oren but I wrote you instead for whatever reason. I'm really bad with names.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I get what you're saying, but at this stage, all these new characters are just white noise to me. Nagito and Togami, on the other hand, are the only characters who intrigue me. If I chose anyone else to talk to, it would be because "OMG SO WACKY".

I thought that free time usually shed a little light on the characters actions beyond just being wacky all the time. Which is why SHSL gangster might be interesting. As much as I dislike SHSL dancer, talking to her might reveal a bit about why she's sadistic and childish.

Then again, I just realized that we might have actually had free time with SHSL gangster already and I just didn't remember.

I agree with the sentiment though. I disliked some of last games characters because unless they were directly relevant to the current case they'd just say some babble establishing their character quirk during the trials. Like SHSL serial killer, a huge opportunity missed there, she was just omg so evil during the trials and never had anything to contribute or ever had anymore depth to her character. She was just dumb and crass.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 11, 2013

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Togami just announced he was holding a huge party on murder island and Nagito literally came up short drawing lots. I'm guessing people want to get a free time event in with someone who they think's about to be murdered (since Mukuro/Chihiro/probably someone else had effectively bonus content toward the murders in their last free-time events) and those are two pretty good choices.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I half agree with you, but I think I would like to know a little about Nagito. Togami, though? Yeah, we just had a free time event with him, so I'm not so interested. Whatever's up with them, i.e. their relationship to their first game counterparts, the game's playing it close to the chest, so I really don't think we're going to learn too much in Free Time. I'm not sure though.

I also voted for the photographer (Mahiru? Still don't have the names down.) just because I would like to hang with some more of the, uh, "new" cast. Nidai would've been a fun free time, too.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

^^^ Keep in mind now that it's open to the public it'll be drawing the wrong sort of crowds too. There's also all the fanbases on Tumblr, so if a character is exceptionally outstanding later they'll probably get voted in now, regardless of how this thread feels. I won't doubt that there'll be eccentric fans who'll vote multiple times for their character too.

e: Basically, there'll probably be a lot of strange choices at odd times. Or we might just constantly get a character we're sick of. It's not a big deal or anything of the sort, but I think it should be expected.

vvv Yeah, there's that too. I wouldn't be surprised.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 11, 2013

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

CrashScreen posted:

^^^ Keep in mind now that it's open to the public it'll be drawing the wrong sort of crowds too.

So you're saying it's only a matter of time before somebody makes a script to rig the voting?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I am led to understand that EasyPolls is not stupid and offers a measure of anti-cheating which should be sufficient. Is the anonymity and non-accountability an acceptable price to pay for the reduction in noise (and the ease of counting)? I'm leaning yes.

As you can see, this poll is proving to be a bit more, ah, popular than the last one by a factor of, oh, say, ten or so (and counting). Obviously this is mostly attributable to people no longer needing an SA account (and to post in the thread) in order to vote. And yes, that means we're catering to half of Tumblr.

Keep in mind, though, that we're going to see all the free-times eventually anyway. There's only so seriously one can really take this.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

CrashScreen posted:

^^^ Keep in mind now that it's open to the public it'll be drawing the wrong sort of crowds too. There's also all the fanbases on Tumblr, so if a character is exceptionally outstanding later they'll probably get voted in now, regardless of how this thread feels. I won't doubt that there'll be eccentric fans who'll vote multiple times for their character too.

vvv I really wouldn't be surprised.
All of this is a reasonable risk to avoid 30% of this thread being posts consisting of nothing but "anime and other anime! :syoon:"

orenronen posted:

おはいただきますよう
Let's see, here. "Take... the... hint... and... stop... asking... about..."

...oren! That's not very nice at all! :mad:

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 11, 2013

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fedule posted:

Keep in mind, though, that we're going to see all the free-times eventually anyway. There's only so seriously one can really take this.

gently caress that, man. If I weren't so busy with life stuff right now I'd be making Chiaki propaganda posters.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

According to a friend of mine who's a Tumblrite Nagito is really popular on Tumblr for whatever reason, which would explain why he has so many more votes than last time.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The result of the polls isn't worth getting worked up about. As long as we somehow get a satisfying helping of anyone before they're inevitably offed, any character out of this dysfunctional lot is fine.

So, I don't know if this ever came up in the last thread, but there is something I've been wondering. Those vocals in "Mr. Monokuma's Lesson". It sounds like it's just there to be goofy at first, but is that based on anything? Taking out the bouncy music, and it sounds as if it could be prayer or ritual chanting from some religion or another (Islam, maybe?) Its pairing with the wailing female vocals in some of the execution tracks from the first game makes it seem even more so.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Could someone link me to the poll site? I must've missed it in the previous pages, and I can't seem to find 'EasyPolls' in the OP.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

orenronen posted:

We’re going to try something new this time - instead of flooding the thread with hundreds of short contentless posts, I’ve set up an off-site poll. Please be nice, and don’t cheat! Two choices per vote, one vote per person. If you have something worthwhile to say about your choices, you are welcome to post in the thread (for example, HelloWinter is more than welcome to influence the results with fanart again should she choose to. No pressure!), but don’t simply announce your votes here without adding something interesting about them.

It was right at the very end of his update. It's not really that hard to miss.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Perhaps I'm sperging overmuch, but maybe a rule that prevents the same character from going twice in a row? Frankly the game is much more interesting if you know at least a little about each character, and I doubt that dropping all our free-time eggs in the Togami basket will make him step out of his fat suit and reveal his master plan.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Teddles posted:

Perhaps I'm sperging overmuch, but maybe a rule that prevents the same character from going twice in a row? Frankly the game is much more interesting if you know at least a little about each character, and I doubt that dropping all our free-time eggs in the Togami basket will make him step out of his fat suit and reveal his master plan.

I wasn't planning to complain even if Togami wins this free time event again, but I would object if he was polling high in the third free-time event. "We're not likely to get any major backstory reveals from the optional events" is a very valid point. At best, it would be things that could be interpreted in more than one way, like "Junko"'s free time events.

I voted for Sonia and Mahiru the photographer, because I like both her level-headedness and aggressive attitude, but unless she does something very interesting, it'll probably end up being post-LP content.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 11, 2013

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Teddles posted:

Seems reasonable, since having the same character in the top two in the poll will make the free-time events somewhat monotonous.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Bishop Rodan posted:

According to a friend of mine who's a Tumblrite Nagito is really popular on Tumblr for whatever reason, which would explain why he has so many more votes than last time.
I'd guess it's simply because Nagito is the prettiest boy in the cast this time, not to mention the mysterious air that surrounds him. Also note that Togami is currently the second most popular character, and he was the local bishounen last time.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Let's see, here. "Take... the... hint... and... stop... asking... about..."

...oren! That's not very nice at all! :mad:

Translation talk is extremely more interesting than "here's my completely random and barely supported theories! Let's argue for several pages about them even though there's no way to know anything! Also, the gangster is a crossdresser!" So I really don't know why you keep going off like this.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Color Printer posted:

Translation talk is extremely more interesting than "here's my completely random and barely supported theories! Let's argue for several pages about them even though there's no way to know anything! Also, the gangster is a crossdresser!" So I really don't know why you keep going off like this.

Maybe to some people, but I imagine to Oren it's probably very annoying to write up a decent joke to replace some untranslatable pun, then have to come back here to translate and explain each one in minute detail anyway.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teddles posted:

Yeah no, that sounds silly. First off we're due to see someone being offed within updates if the pattern with DR1 remains constant in DR2. When characters start dying that means the number of people that can be voted for will lower down. Second, we'll see everyone at the end anyway so there's no need to put a limit.

Let people vote for who they want to vote. I think it's kind of ridiculous that the poll seems to be swayed more by the opinions of people off the site than on the site, but it's better than dozens of low content posts.

(That said, I am hoping Sonia takes the lead since she's the closest to Togami for second.)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Ezzer posted:

Maybe to some people, but I imagine to Oren it's probably very annoying to write up a decent joke to replace some untranslatable pun, then have to come back here to translate and explain each one in minute detail anyway.

Maybe for Oren, but this one's mine, and it so happens I love explaining silly things in minute detail. It's my specialty! I can do this in instances where I actually know the original line. Like this one! (The joke isn't nearly as impenetrable here as with that one Sonia line).

The phrase Ibuki coins here is "ohaitadakimasuyo!", which is literally inserting "itadakimasu" (think "bon apetit", lit "thanks for the food" or some such) into the middle of "ohayo" ("good morning"). She then goes on to explain the joke to an understandably nonplussed Hinata; the joke being simply that she wanted to say both things in one phrase. "Eatings!" is, therefore, actually an almost literal translation, in that it merges "greetings" and "eating" (except with a union join instead of an intersect join (I'm so bored right now)). And, then I just kinda took the joke and ran with it by making a the next few lines rhyme because it seemed like something Ibuki would do and it went perfectly with her expressions.

You may have noticed that morning greetings are kinda a thing with Ibuki. Last in-game day we had something like "ohayo gomaimamu" which doesn't really mean anything and got translated as "Good Mo-Mo-Mo-Morning" in a kind of yawning-mid-sentence delivery (that one was all Oren, actually). And when we first met her we had "chira! chira! (glance, glance) konnichira!" which... yeah.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I voted for Sonia and Mahiru the photographer, because I like both her level-headedness and aggressive attitude, but unless she does something very interesting, it'll probably end up being post-LP content.

Sonia is only 1 vote away from Togami so she has a good chance of winning.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 11, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

It's been 24 hours, with more than enough results, so I'm going to close the vote now. Stay tuned!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

orenronen posted:

It's been 24 hours, with more than enough results, so I'm going to close the vote now. Stay tuned!

But Sonia and Togami are literally tied for 2nd place! Who won!?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Krinkle posted:

It is a mystewy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Krinkle posted:

We'll just have to wait for the next update to find out the result.
Damnit, got ninja'd by oren. :ninja:

• Locked thread