Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I had mopped up everything on a map but then I started getting overwatch hits from a muton that I absolutely couldn't find. I had all my guys swarming the area from where he was shooting but nothing. I eventually found a spot of ground next to a ramp that I should have been able to move to but it wouldn't let me. Not knowing what else to do I chucked a grenade at the ramp and sure enough a muton appeared and died in the explosion. So was that a bug or do mutons eventually develop the ability to cloak? If so are explosions the only way to reveal them?

No, ramps have some hosed up LOS issues.

edit: Hey, even worse than thin men on classic ironmen are thin men on classic ironman that wipe out your team because they get to shoot through ceilings!

Deuce fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I decided to do a run on Ironman, then proceeded to reroll 35 times for a 80 aim sniper.
Then the irony hit me, i'm a moron. On the good side, i've got a good quantity of data on behaviour -> class, which i'm now going to analyze.
the theory of "Assault if dashed a lot, Sniper for kills with guns, Heavy for kills with granades, Support for (0-1) kill promotions due to missions seem to be more or less correct, but i've got, like, 0.5 sigma on it.

I can also confirm that in no way or shape the class is 'hidden' on the recruit.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

P_R_Deltoid posted:

It's just time based. Everything is given an ETA in days, and you can wait or go on missions to pass time. If you arn't waiting or going on a mission, the time stands still.

So if I'm considering augmenting my base with something, a new event wont stop me from making that augmentation?

EDIT:
case=base

Jarl fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 11, 2013

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Aureon posted:

I decided to do a run on Ironman, then proceeded to reroll 35 times for a 80 aim sniper.
Then the irony hit me, i'm a moron. On the good side, i've got a good quantity of data on behaviour -> class, which i'm now going to analyze.
the theory of "Assault if dashed a lot, Sniper for kills with guns, Heavy for kills with granades, Support for (0-1) kill promotions due to missions seem to be more or less correct, but i've got, like, 0.5 sigma on it.

I can also confirm that in no way or shape the class is 'hidden' on the recruit.
That's you drawing conclusions from nothing, really. It's already been stated and seen that class promotions are randomized, but skewed so that you have a more or less even spread of class squaddies in your barracks. For what it's worth, every time I did the first mission and made sure to give each rookie a kill, no matter how, I got four of each class for their promotions.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
My Normal Ironman started out with me launching a shredder rocket into 3 floaters, but instead hitting 2 of my own guys, because I guess I didn't notice the shot was blocked. Managed to get out with 1 death and a bunch of 1 hp guys.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Olive Branch posted:

That's you drawing conclusions from nothing, really. It's already been stated and seen that class promotions are randomized, but skewed so that you have a more or less even spread of class squaddies in your barracks. For what it's worth, every time I did the first mission and made sure to give each rookie a kill, no matter how, I got four of each class for their promotions.
Has it been stated by a dev? if so, i'll stop my little statistics experiment (which is being reasoned as 'pratice for the statistics exam')

First thing is that you can't get two of the same in the same batch (at least for the starter mission), and that alone makes it non-random.
Mission-levelups (when in-mission the soldier didn't have the promotion message, but then got promoted with mission xp) are definitely random, respecting the above rule.
For pretty-insignificant four cases as of now, 2 kills with grenade results in 100% heavy. But four cases isn't significant, so i'll keep on testing.
(One kill results always in a mission-levelup instead of a kill-levelup. I'll start noting which way the kill-levelup happened, it could be significant.)

For added benefit, i'm assuming that kills and missions give the same amount of exp.
The numeric values are: (from Rookie to Colonel): If anyone could report some data (exp/missions/kill, possibly without the +25% exp perk) we could determine kill/mission exp value.
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=0
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=90
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=300
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=510
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=745
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=1100
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=1560
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=2150

Are there console cheats? they'd make all this much easier.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

modig posted:

My Normal Ironman started out with me launching a shredder rocket into 3 floaters, but instead hitting 2 of my own guys, because I guess I didn't notice the shot was blocked. Managed to get out with 1 death and a bunch of 1 hp guys.

The aim still moves around as the soldier peeks and does all of the typical actions they usually do while in cover right? That's what hosed me over on a few shots, right as I clicked the fucker moved his head and I shot the cover he was now looking at.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Aureon posted:

Has it been stated by a dev? if so, i'll stop my little statistics experiment (which is being reasoned as 'pratice for the statistics exam')

First thing is that you can't get two of the same in the same batch (at least for the starter mission), and that alone makes it non-random.
Mission-levelups (when in-mission the soldier didn't have the promotion message, but then got promoted with mission xp) are definitely random, respecting the above rule.
For pretty-insignificant four cases as of now, 2 kills with grenade results in 100% heavy. But four cases isn't significant, so i'll keep on testing.
(One kill results always in a mission-levelup instead of a kill-levelup. I'll start noting which way the kill-levelup happened, it could be significant.)

For added benefit, i'm assuming that kills and missions give the same amount of exp.
The numeric values are: (from Rookie to Colonel): If anyone could report some data (exp/missions/kill, possibly without the +25% exp perk) we could determine kill/mission exp value.
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=0
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=90
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=300
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=510
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=745

The starter mission is a special case, you won't get duplicate promotions there.

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
Hey guys !

Is there a strategy guide somewhere that explains how to manage satellites ?

I started to play not so long ago, and i'm only playing ironman (it's really great btw) ; i go further in the game with each run, but i always lose too many countries too early, even when i'm trying not to... Basically, should all my expenses go to satellite management ?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

So was that a bug or do mutons eventually develop the ability to cloak? If so are explosions the only way to reveal them?
This can happen to any enemy in general I've noticed. I've seen a disappearing alien bug happen for: sectoids, thin men, floaters, mutons, and muton elites. Any alien that takes advantage of cover seems to have this possibility. I've triggered this bug before by destroying alien cover with a grenade with more than one soldier able to see the alien and from two very different angles (two sides of a dividing partition like a wall or tall truck). In most scenarios, I throw a grenade or a fire a rocket, taking out the cover and damaging the alien... then the alien is not visible anymore to anyone even constantly tabbing around and doing other things or even moving directly next to where the alien was. Even using explosives again does not seem to help make it visible again. I've checked repeatedly to see if this means the alien can't see you either but at the start of the alien turn, they'll let you know that it only happens one way. So basically, if this happens to you, I think the only way to see it again is if it fires at you or moves.

I wish I could ghost during the middle of my opponent's turn like those guys did. Sometimes I wonder if sometimes the aliens do really dumb things because the AI is being afflicted by the same bugs that we do and they literally can't see us anymore.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Ugrok posted:

Hey guys !

Is there a strategy guide somewhere that explains how to manage satellites ?

I started to play not so long ago, and i'm only playing ironman (it's really great btw) ; i go further in the game with each run, but i always lose too many countries too early, even when i'm trying not to... Basically, should all my expenses go to satellite management ?

If you're anything like me (on my first 7 or so runs), you should PROBABLY be spending more on satellites than you've been. Build your second uplink next to your first and try to get 5 up within 2-3 months. Also, if you're anything like me, you might be putting base assault off far too long. After you do it you get worldwide panic reduction and a tonn of things to sell, so it helps to rush for carapace armor and lazer weapons then do the base assault as soon as you're ready.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Just had my first teleporting incident - I had spotted a group of sectoids without alerting them, and they fell through the world on their turn. Cue them reappearing behind my squad their next turn and murdering two of my people. Thankfully I refuse to play Ironman with this bug still happening. :(

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Man, gently caress the teleport bug. Maybe if it wouldn't occur in the first 2 months of my I/I game, but 4 rookies/squaddies just can't handle more than 1 group at a time. Not fair spawning something right into the middle of my dudes when they're already working on a bunch of sectoids.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aureon posted:

- m_iSoldierXPLevels=0
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=90
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=300
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=510
- m_iSoldierXPLevels=745

GrumbleGrumble did a lot of xp research already, here are the results

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009

Electric Pope posted:

If you're anything like me (on my first 7 or so runs), you should PROBABLY be spending more on satellites than you've been. Build your second uplink next to your first and try to get 5 up within 2-3 months. Also, if you're anything like me, you might be putting base assault off far too long. After you do it you get worldwide panic reduction and a tonn of things to sell, so it helps to rush for carapace armor and lazer weapons then do the base assault as soon as you're ready.

Ahaha, thanks a lot. You're right, on my first run, i got decimated during the base assault, so now i postpone it a lot, it's scary. I think that's part of my problem, thank you !

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Where are the mission names stored? I found the soldier names and tweaked them a bit (the Dutch names are terrible) but can't find the right file for mission names. One of those development videos had Operation Dying Tomato and I want to re-add that :3:

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Still on my first play through on Classic and enjoying it immensely, other than a few select missions this isn't all scripted and repetitive is it? Primarily with sightings and random UFO spawns backing a key storyline, or is every playthrough going to follow more or less the same sequence? (Barring me staging satellites differently etc)

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Emnity posted:

Still on my first play through on Classic and enjoying it immensely, other than a few select missions this isn't all scripted and repetitive is it? Primarily with sightings and random UFO spawns backing a key storyline, or is every playthrough going to follow more or less the same sequence? (Barring me staging satellites differently etc)

I mean it's always gonna go interrogate an alien -> capture an outsider -> alien base -> overseer -> temple ship.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
That bit I can live with, but scripted UFO spawns outside the storyline would be a bit poo poo.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Emnity posted:

Well, you're always going to have two abduction missions and an UFO sighting in the first month, a terror mission in the second, and so on. New aliens will always be added by a certain mission/month no matter your development progress, with the exception of a couple of "leader" type units. Hell, even mission maps have roughly the same spawning areas, but wandering patrols add an element of randomness to it. Overall though, it all feels very organic and non-repetitive, which is surprising when you look at the mechanics.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Jarl posted:

So if I'm considering augmenting my base with something, a new event wont stop me from making that augmentation?

This is correct.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holy poo poo, doing the slingshot on CI and accepting them all as they come is several different kinds of bullshit (Had carapace armor, but no laser weapons, and a rookie instead of my usual medic)
I'm still trying to understand why a cyberdisk walked a whole corridor without triggering four overwatch, and then proceeded to oneshot a heavy-cover, drat good ground sniper with elevation bonuses.
Got through the battleship with just a sniper+assault left, and 4 losses. Nothing like being greeted by three thinmen focusfiring your best soldier in heavy cover, and getting three hits :xcom:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I can't remember if I said it in this thread or the previous one, but Slingshot's missions are greatly eased by having a disproportionate weight toward Heavies in your team. For the third mission, based on my experiences in the first two, I figured I'd want some shredder heavies so I'd have a huge amount of rockets to throw around, and ended up bringing three of them to the table in that mission.

Made life pretty smooth sailing even on CI.

e: In case anyone missed the Assault Chat from like a page ago tops, I am normally a very Assault-heavy player, usually packing two or three.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i had one, and he never even had the chance to shoot. he would've been useful, especially since he had HEAT ammo.. /sigh

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

doomfunk posted:

I can't remember if I said it in this thread or the previous one, but Slingshot's missions are greatly eased by having a disproportionate weight toward Heavies in your team. For the third mission, based on my experiences in the first two, I figured I'd want some shredder heavies so I'd have a huge amount of rockets to throw around, and ended up bringing three of them to the table in that mission.

Made life pretty smooth sailing even on CI.

e: In case anyone missed the Assault Chat from like a page ago tops, I am normally a very Assault-heavy player, usually packing two or three.

Truth. 2 heavies makes even the second Slingshot mission (the only really challenging one, IMO) pretty easy. Just activate the groups of thin men, bring your heavy up and hunker down, and on the next turn rocket those assholes straight to hell. I usually bring Zhang with a Shredder rocket and have him as the point heavy, and then a second heavy with a regular rocket to stay near the rear. Works every time!

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

John Dough posted:

Where are the mission names stored? I found the soldier names and tweaked them a bit (the Dutch names are terrible) but can't find the right file for mission names. One of those development videos had Operation Dying Tomato and I want to re-add that :3:

Path:

\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Localization\INT\XComStrategyGame.int

Word search for 'XGMission' and it's all under that. I was disappointed that Operation Hot Mother isn't a possibility in the base game.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

bobfather posted:

Truth. 2 heavies makes even the second Slingshot mission (the only really challenging one, IMO) pretty easy. Just activate the groups of thin men, bring your heavy up and hunker down, and on the next turn rocket those assholes straight to hell. I usually bring Zhang with a Shredder rocket and have him as the point heavy, and then a second heavy with a regular rocket to stay near the rear. Works every time!

That one was dead-easy with my normal tactics - lots of assaults, flank and execute. My non-assaults followed the central corridor of the train while my assaults skirted the exterior. I think my only injury was on the Sprinter Support I had triggering the events in the train itself.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Is aggroing a bunch of things from well outside of your sight a regular glitch or is it just some kind of hellish nightmare possibility from teleporting enemies? I just had to abandon a barge mission because on turn two most of the aliens on the map wandered right out of the ship to meet my squad. Two sectopods, four drones, two sectoid commanders, three heavy floaters, three cryssalids, and six muton elites. :gonk:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Jibo posted:

Is aggroing a bunch of things from well outside of your sight a regular glitch or is it just some kind of hellish nightmare possibility from teleporting enemies? I just had to abandon a barge mission because on turn two most of the aliens on the map wandered right out of the ship to meet my squad. Two sectopods, four drones, two sectoid commanders, three heavy floaters, three cryssalids, and six muton elites. :gonk:

Started happening to me with the patch where they "fixed" (read: amplified) the teleporting enemies glitch.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any tips for Marathon Impossible? I gave it a shot (Marathon, Not Created Equal) after finishing my Classic playthrough and it seems that managing panic is going to be next to impossible with building costs.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I'm confused about how the game assigns classes. I'm a month or two in, with a ton of supports and snipers, a couple heavies, but only one assault. That can't be normal, right?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I'm confused about how the game assigns classes. I'm a month or two in, with a ton of supports and snipers, a couple heavies, but only one assault. That can't be normal, right?

It's random. Random doesn't require an even distribution.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

It's "random" with some weighting, but even a weighted system will still spit out improbable combinations sometimes. Also, are your assaults dying more than your other troops? Because I always give mine Star Trek-red armor for a reason.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

It's "random" with some weighting, but even a weighted system will still spit out improbable combinations sometimes. Also, are your assaults dying more than your other troops? Because I always give mine Star Trek-red armor for a reason.

I got one assault during the first mission, and that's it, but he's doing well.

I think my soldiers are just drawn from typical online shooter audiences, and just all want to be snipers.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

"Commander, it's cool. We can just camp all the aliens. That'll work, it'll totally work!"

Could be worse, my pool of soldiers seems to be drawn entirely from Wolfenstein 3D. A whole bunch of thick-necked goons with bigass cannons and rocket launchers.

e: You just gotta field more rookies, man. That second assault will come, in time, I promise.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
So I'm currently doing Normal Ironman (my "victory lap" playthrough that I just mess with when I'm bored), and I got a terror mission with nothing but Chryssalids. Like 9+ of them. I'm pretty sure if I was playing on Classic or worse it would have been a complete squad wipe, as I would have been neck-deep in off-screen zombies by turn three. Thankfully only one of my assaults got hit for only five(!) damage, and only one civilian got killed in my FOV.

Does this happen often? Is the enemy squad composition really that random as to allow for an all-bug terror mission?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yes, I've had several nothing but chryssalid terror missions. Also a couple that were about ten chryssalids and the rest heavy floaters.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

doomfunk posted:

Yes, I've had several nothing but chryssalid terror missions. Also a couple that were about ten chryssalids and the rest heavy floaters.

Pure cryssalid terror missions are not impossible. I've had a couple, and they sucked. Possible, though.

In other news, I didn't actually see the military base filled with broken-down tanks until my ... eighth playthrough. XCOM always decides to show me something new.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

First I/I victory! Well done Erin "Low Rider" Thomas, you carried the team from the very first mission. 49 missons, 194 kills, and There Ain't No Calvary Comin' :patriot::australia:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy

This is what happens on impossible on a terror mission with nothing but chryssalids. 29 of them :(

• Locked thread