Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah, that all describes Dungeon Magic to a T. I actually was working on a speedrun of it awhile back but then hit a wall in getting a decent playthrough since the final boss has a couple obnoxious things to him that were made to eat quarters.

I got my copy of Taito Legends 2 for PS2 from Gamestop for $5 I think, they may still have some copies left for that price since they're trying to get rid of their PS2 stock. The only thing I'll caution you on about with that version is that there is slowdown in some points of the game. It doesn't make it unplayable and it's not that common, just something to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rerez
Feb 11, 2013
Someone named Wendigo said I should post here.

My name is Shane. I own a wonderfully dull YouTube channel that you shouldn't visit.

But I did make a video on an old game that I really really liked. Maybe you like as well? Maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL3ZSaEp-KY

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

That game is availible on Taito Legends Volume 2, it may run you around 5-20 bucks. You do wind up fighting through a tavern at one point and while there are projectiles, there are no guns.

Yah I figured I was mistaking some things for another game, I'll have to hunt down Taito Legends down just so I can play through that game again.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Both Taito Legends collections combined are probably a rather dense source of "Holy poo poo I forgot all about this game!"

Jungle Hunt, Plotting, Violence Fight, and Growl are all games of my youth that I couldn't remember the names of and rediscovered through them.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Rerez posted:

Someone named Wendigo said I should post here.

My name is Shane. I own a wonderfully dull YouTube channel that you shouldn't visit.

But I did make a video on an old game that I really really liked. Maybe you like as well? Maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL3ZSaEp-KY

Eh, you like Another World? You're okay in my book.

Anyone who understand Another World CAN'T be a bad person.
And thanks, now I gotta a copy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I'm printing out all the covers ever for the Universal Game Cases:

As you can see that Genesis Game Genie cover is really the best version availible on the entire web. Duct tape and everything, you will not find a better version or even the art assets to help fix it in photoshop. I was also sick of having the game genie cart stick out between rows of games with cases, so I was desperate too. :colbert:

also bonus pictures of the spider egg sack I found while unscrewing my SNES game genie:

You really can't see much since they've pretty much all turned to dust but if you look closely you'll see some of the legs that remain and those little white dots are parts of the main body.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The duct tape on the case is actually pretty hilarious. As a printout, it almost looks like it's supposed to be there.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Where are you printing those and what are they running you? Those look sharp as poo poo!

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
hello retro game thread, my name is draks and apparently I hate money!!

:retrogames:

This just came in the mail today :'D Unfortunately there's no cool "found for 100 yen in a bookstore" story behind it but it's in perfect condition as far as I can tell. Box and all, all inserts intact! MY HEART ALL AFLUTTER. I got the AV Famicom just yesterday for about 7500 yen, so that was a pretty good deal, at least. ANYWAY GIMMICK YES HOORAY

I also found THE BEST CONTROLLER EVER.

The ASCII Stick Super L5. It's a one-handed SFC controller meant for RPGs, but I played SMB3 for a little bit with some friends and it was a hilarious mess. If you guys ever see one I wholly recommend picking it up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fatpat268 posted:

Honestly, I'm waiting for someone to apply the GBA script to the SNES, then that would easily be the definitive version

Cicero posted:

I'm surprised someone hasn't already done this.

I actually started on this last Saturday night and made a frightening amount of progress in that time. As far as in-game text is concerned I'm about 90-95% of the way there. It's all there, but the spacing in various places is out of wack so I'm trying to fix that.

It unfortunately doesn't look like it's possible to do it 100% accurately, the GBA port's text boxes are smaller and for certain sequences they were allotted more room to work with (e.g. the intro text has more text boxes to fit more overall text into). I abridged the intro text for now but may give it another few tests. Some text looks to have been written with the spacing in mind, and with the GBA port's different proportions some of it comes out a little weird. The in-battle text sequences (e.g. The first boss fight "Don't attack the shell" text) is in a different part of the ROM, but I haven't looked yet. Hopefully this text can be implemeneted without too much pain.

And finally, the opera sequence is a bit wonky because of the way the text displays (with the song's pace). It's serviceable right now, but I'm going to see if it can be tweaked to look cleaner. Hopefully this can count for my "one game a month" thing. :v: It's a lot more work than it seems, which I think is why no one really tried to do it before.

I don't know how much hope there is for things like item and monster names/descriptions, but if the rest of it can be brought under control I don't really mind spending the time fussing over getting things perfect. For now I just fixed "Phoenix Down". Place names weren't a problem. Graphically, I just need to swap the CAFE sign to a PUB sign, and if there's a way of swapping the intro screen to be the Japanese ROM's I will totally do that.

I was hoping to get MSU1 figured out to implement audio for the opera sequence; I already have an uncompressed recording split according to the different sequences in the correct PCM format, I just need to find a way to get the thing to play correctly. I spent a few hours reading over various SNES assembler documents and I found a few meticulous lists of the game's registers but I'm probably in over my head for this, I've never touched assembler before.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 11, 2013

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

draks posted:

The ASCII Stick Super L5. It's a one-handed SFC controller meant for RPGs, but I played SMB3 for a little bit with some friends and it was a hilarious mess. If you guys ever see one I wholly recommend picking it up.

I remember wanting this really badly when it was new. I understand it works well especially for Earthbound since you can play the entire game with just the left side of the controller anyway, but not sure about other RPGs.

Rerez
Feb 11, 2013
I have never seen that kind of controller before. I would love to try it out, is it responsive?

RadicalR posted:

Eh, you like Another World? You're okay in my book.

Anyone who understand Another World CAN'T be a bad person.
And thanks, now I gotta a copy.

Thank you! I try my best to not a a bad person. I won't link the other videos, but I did another one on 'One Must Fall' that you might dig.

Rerez fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 11, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

I actually started on this last Saturday night and made a frightening amount of progress in that time. As far as in-game text is concerned I'm about 90-95% of the way there. It's all there, but the spacing in various places is out of wack so I'm trying to fix that.

It unfortunately doesn't look like it's possible to do it 100% accurately, the GBA port's text boxes are smaller and for certain sequences they were allotted more room to work with (e.g. the intro text has more text boxes to fit more overall text into). I abridged the intro text for now but may give it another few tests. Some text looks to have been written with the spacing in mind, and with the GBA port's different proportions some of it comes out a little weird. The in-battle text sequences (e.g. The first boss fight "Don't attack the shell" text) is in a different part of the ROM, but I haven't looked yet. Hopefully this text can be implemeneted without too much pain.

And finally, the opera sequence is a bit wonky because of the way the text displays (with the song's pace). It's serviceable right now, but I'm going to see if it can be tweaked to look cleaner. Hopefully this can count for my "one game a month" thing. :v: It's a lot more work than it seems, which I think is why no one really tried to do it before.

I don't know how much hope there is for things like item and monster names/descriptions, but if the rest of it can be brought under control I don't really mind spending the time fussing over getting things perfect. For now I just fixed "Phoenix Down". Place names weren't a problem. Graphically, I just need to swap the CAFE sign to a PUB sign, and if there's a way of swapping the intro screen to be the Japanese ROM's I will totally do that.

I was hoping to get MSU1 figured out to implement audio for the opera sequence; I already have an uncompressed recording split according to the different sequences in the correct PCM format, I just need to find a way to get the thing to play correctly. I spent a few hours reading over various SNES assembler documents and I found a few meticulous lists of the game's registers but I'm probably in over my head for this, I've never touched assembler before.

Dude I will send you the most ridiculous "thank you" package if this is ever finished. That's incredible.

This might sound dumb, since you obviously know way, way, way more about programming than I do, but I thought a major reason the SNES version had such butchered text was due to Japanese text needing much less storage space than English text, and they didn't want the storage (or 24 MBITS as they called it back then) going up. Since we'd all have to use a flashcart or emulator to play your hack, I assume this hoop has been jumped through?

Also I hate to state the obvious, but there are some EXCELLENT tools for editing FF6 ROMs. Their literal only use it for editing that one game. I mean you could edit ANYTHING and even a simpleton such as myself could create a dungeon or something. If you'd like help and you weren't planning on adding it into the game, I'd (probably) be able to add the GBA exclusive stuff (extra 2 dungeons, extra bosses, etc).

draks posted:

hello retro game thread, my name is draks and apparently I hate money!!

:retrogames:

This just came in the mail today :'D Unfortunately there's no cool "found for 100 yen in a bookstore" story behind it but it's in perfect condition as far as I can tell. Box and all, all inserts intact! MY HEART ALL AFLUTTER. I got the AV Famicom just yesterday for about 7500 yen, so that was a pretty good deal, at least. ANYWAY GIMMICK YES HOORAY

Yeah that remote is awesome but I got news for you, pal. There's not one, but TWO one-handed controllers for the SNES:

I own them both dear god what is wrong with me

Light Gun Man posted:

(Super Mario Bros the Movie) I have the laserdisc. And the soundtrack CD.

I actually think one of the songs on that soundtrack managed to be a hit; I think it was called "Totally Unreal" or something. Me? I liked the George Clinton track :cool:

Rerez posted:

I have never seen that kind of controller before. I would love to try it out, is it responsive?

Thank you! I try my best to not a a bad person. I won't link the other videos, but I did another one on 'One Must Fall' that you might dig.

I own it as well and it's very cool for RPGs. Don't bother with a platformer or fighting game, though.

Also the one he linked can have the d-pad rotated. Yep! You can actually rotate the drat d-pad on it. It's glorious!

edit: I am still in for the group buy on the Famicom N8 or whatever. You guys better act fast when it comes in stock though because I am a big :baby: and don't want to have to wait for it to go out of stock again!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 11, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

This might sound dumb, since you obviously know way, way, way more about programming than I do, but I thought a major reason the SNES version had such butchered text was due to Japanese text needing much less storage space than English text, and they didn't want the storage (or 24 MBITS as they called it back then) going up. Since we'd all have to use a flashcart or emulator to play your hack, I assume this hoop has been jumped through?

Also I hate to state the obvious, but there are some EXCELLENT tools for editing FF6 ROMs. Their literal only use it for editing that one game. I mean you could edit ANYTHING and even a simpleton such as myself could create a dungeon or something. If you'd like help and you weren't planning on adding it into the game, I'd (probably) be able to add the GBA exclusive stuff (extra 2 dungeons, extra bosses, etc).

The 24 megabit space limitation was part of it, but the Woolsey script also has at least 7 instances of "Uwaaa!" which can't use that as an excuse. :colbert:

My ROM right now is resized to 32 megabits, the script fits with about 50k to spare. Hopefully the 50k will be enough to get the other stuff working.

I've been using one tool (FF3usME) predominantly for the text scripting, although it's super-sensitive about certain things and everything has to be done perfectly or it'll completely poo poo itself and corrupt the ROM. Fortunately I have the English script in a format where I can import it using FF3usME in a matter of seconds, plus all manner of backups, so this isn't as bad as it might otherwise be. It doesn't seem to let me import the script into the Japanese ROM, which I would have preferred to properly keep the FFVI title text.

For as long as it's been available in bsnes, very very few people have really gone through the trouble of actually making the MSU1 do stuff within games. The only game I could find that had successfully been hacked was Super Mario World, and documentation for that is more limited than I'd like (most tutorials use a custom-made assembler file as a middleman which only works for SMW). byuu (the bsnes programmer) also wrote up some info for Earthbound but as far as I know it hasn't actually been done.

The gist of what has to happen is that the assembler code that tells the game to start playing sound X using the SNES' original SPC format music has to be replaced with an if/else command, of sorts, based on whether the MSU1 is present or not. The else (no MSU1) basically silently runs the original SPC playback and no one's the wiser, while the if (MSU1 present) replaces this playback with the PCM playback. There further has to be code to change certain aspects of the playback (e.g. after the Overture when you walk to where Celes is, the music gets quieter when you leave the balcony area, and returns to normal if you go back, and during the Aria you have to get the music to stop if Celes fucks up her lines).

I was thinking about the GBA extra stuff, but one thing at a time. I'd like to get the core game translated, then MSU1, then I might try and see if I can get the French script working with it, and then extra dungeons etc. I don't really care how long it takes, I want a perfect version of FF6 as much as you do. Wonder how much a repro of a 256 megabyte SNES game with MSU1 chip would cost. :v:

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 11, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Dude I will send you the most ridiculous "thank you" package if this is ever finished. That's incredible.

If you look at the first few posts in my history on this thread I touch on MSU-1 programming. I was working on FF6 previously, it's kind of a mess but here's the gist of adding in MSU-1 into a game:

SNES SPU is programmed separately, and after the setup is done for the sounds it just sends raw data to the SPU which it processes. The raw data is held in tables with a track listing at the beginning. If you look at the FF6 ROM map in C0-CF conditionals you will see the conditionals F0-F2 which are used to load the music into the SPU
http://www.rpglegion.com/ff6/hack/ff3info.txt

Basically what you have to do is instead of letting it play song XX you jump to free space within your rom and do a new routine that checks for MSU-1 and then if found will load the song into the MSU-1. If it does that then instead of returning F0-F2 you return FE so it is null instead of passing the song to the SPU. If it isn't there you return normally. The MSU-1 itself is pretty straight-forward to write for, you can see a great example here: http://helmet.kafuka.org/msu1.htm

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

If you look at the first few posts in my history on this thread I touch on MSU-1 programming. I was working on FF6 previously, it's kind of a mess but here's the gist of adding in MSU-1 into a game:

SNES SPU is programmed separately, and after the setup is done for the sounds it just sends raw data to the SPU which it processes. The raw data is held in tables with a track listing at the beginning. If you look at the FF6 ROM map in C0-CF conditionals you will see the conditionals F0-F2 which are used to load the music into the SPU
http://www.rpglegion.com/ff6/hack/ff3info.txt

Basically what you have to do is instead of letting it play song XX you jump to free space within your rom and do a new routine that checks for MSU-1 and then if found will load the song into the MSU-1. If it does that then instead of returning F0-F2 you return FE so it is null instead of passing the song to the SPU. If it isn't there you return normally. The MSU-1 itself is pretty straight-forward to write for, you can see a great example here: http://helmet.kafuka.org/msu1.htm

Wow; this is pretty cool. It seems a bit confusing, and a bit time-consuming, but not "learn a coding language" complicated. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would love to give it a go someday soon. Thanks!

univbee posted:

I've been using one tool (FF3usME) predominantly for the text scripting, although it's super-sensitive about certain things and everything has to be done perfectly or it'll completely poo poo itself and corrupt the ROM. Fortunately I have the English script in a format where I can import it using FF3usME in a matter of seconds, plus all manner of backups, so this isn't as bad as it might otherwise be. It doesn't seem to let me import the script into the Japanese ROM, which I would have preferred to properly keep the FFVI title text.

No idea if this helps but there is an FF3 ROM hack that patches in the FFVI title and gets rid of the stupid solid white one FF3 has:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/600/

Also FFSE is supposed to be a great editor:

http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=477&pid=2709#pid2709

edit:

Maybe collab with this guy?:

http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1444

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wow; this is pretty cool. It seems a bit confusing, and a bit time-consuming, but not "learn a coding language" complicated. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would love to give it a go someday soon. Thanks!

No idea if this helps but there is an FF3 ROM hack that patches in the FFVI title and gets rid of the stupid solid white one FF3 has:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/600/

Also FFSE is supposed to be a great editor:

http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=477&pid=2709#pid2709

edit:

Maybe collab with this guy?:

http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1444

Huh, I should have known someone else had attacked this previously, although his last post in the thread being in April of last year doesn't give me too much hope. The other hacks are sweet, though.

flyboi posted:

My assembler headache still hasn't gone away but I feel like things are slowly starting to make sense, so thank you for this! Did you ever get anything working with FF6? I don't even care if all you did is replace the opening music with fart noises, I just want to hear someone truthfully say "I hacked FF6 and the MSU1 worked when I wanted it to".

VVV Aah, gotcha.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 11, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

My assembler headache still hasn't gone away but I feel like things are slowly starting to make sense, so thank you for this! Did you ever get anything working with FF6? I don't even care if all you did is replace the opening music with fart noises, I just want to hear someone truthfully say "I hacked FF6 and the MSU1 worked when I wanted it to".

No, I only spent a few nights on it and then I got a bunch of work piled up until around May so I've been lacking in the playing with programming department.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quidnose posted:

Where are you printing those and what are they running you? Those look sharp as poo poo!

I was just using my home printer and printing them off of photoshop so I could fit the covers on an 8.5 X 11 piece of photopaper. The best way to get no edges being cut off on a borderless printing is to have the size be 96% instead of 100%.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 11, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

WendigoJohnson posted:

I was just using my home printer and printing them off of photoshop so I could fit the covers on an 8.5 X 11 piece of photopaper.

Redefining :retrogames:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zenintrude posted:

Redefining :retrogames:

Staples has screwed up entire jobs that I sent them or in some cases refused to do them at all(because of the copyright). Really the only times they havn't is when some old guy is there who knows what he's doing and edits the proper dimensions so that they'll fit on the smallest piece of possible paper.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

WendigoJohnson posted:

I was just using my home printer and printing them off of photoshop so I could fit the covers on an 8.5 X 11 piece of photopaper. The best way to get no edges being cut off on a borderless printing is to have the size be 96% instead of 100%.

I find that the covers off of the cover project tend to be too big anyway to fit in the UGCs. I print on legal paper, and trim the prints down, and they're always a hair too large and start crumpling in the case.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

fatpat268 posted:

I find that the covers off of the cover project tend to be too big anyway to fit in the UGCs. I print on legal paper, and trim the prints down, and they're always a hair too large and start crumpling in the case.

Yeah I had to resize them. I just do 11 inches for the width because it fills up all the empty areas of the case and therefore doesn't crinkle. Most of the case's default size was 11.22 inches or something, which requires legal sized paper. However shrinking it to 11 allows 8.5 X 11 paper which is far more easy to get in America since most stores really don't carry larger formats for photopaper.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 11, 2013

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

WendigoJohnson posted:

Staples has screwed up entire jobs that I sent them or in some cases refused to do them at all(because of the copyright). Really the only times they havn't is when some old guy is there who knows what he's doing and edits the proper dimensions so that they'll fit on the smallest piece of possible paper.

Thats interesting, when I had my covers done at Staples, they got the dimensions right (on 8.5x14 paper). However the colors were too dark except for the reds, which were way too bright. They reprinted the covers and fixed the colors for the most part, but the reds were still somewhat brighter. They said it had something to do with their printers and converting the file into a different format, and I figured it was good enough for .50 a print.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 11, 2013

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Went to the closest Goodwill today looking for some retro gaming stuff. The only thing they really had as far as that goes is a fat PSX (for $23; what is wrong with those people?). However, as if to mock me, they had five gigantic Trinitrons for $10 each. I think I'm like the one person in this thread who really doesn't want to lug a gigantic CRT into my house.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It's worth it.... so long as it's 27" or smaller.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

...! posted:

Went to the closest Goodwill today looking for some retro gaming stuff. The only thing they really had as far as that goes is a fat PSX (for $23; what is wrong with those people?). However, as if to mock me, they had five gigantic Trinitrons for $10 each. I think I'm like the one person in this thread who really doesn't want to lug a gigantic CRT into my house.

Nah, I mean, I sure don't want to move my giant CRT any more. It's staying downstairs, by god, my back cannot handle that flight of stairs again. :gonk:

That said, like flyboi said, 27" is pretty much as big as you would really want. Bigger, and I hope you've got a few people to help and a thirst for spinal injury. :v:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My dad has this hilariously huge big screen projection TV from the late 90s. Sometimes I think about bringing a SNES back there and playing games on it, the thing is almost as big as his wall.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

...! posted:

That's what an xrgb is for... those who don't want crts

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

My rakuten order arrived today. :toot:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

triplexpac posted:

My dad has this hilariously huge big screen projection TV from the late 90s. Sometimes I think about bringing a SNES back there and playing games on it, the thing is almost as big as his wall.
Those old big screens always had really terrible picture quality, didn't they? I remember watching on one as a kid at someone's house one time and being like, "Why would anyone want this thing? I can barely see!"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Cicero posted:

Those old big screens always had really terrible picture quality, didn't they? I remember watching on one as a kid at someone's house one time and being like, "Why would anyone want this thing? I can barely see!"

Yeah it's pretty silly. The novelty of playing a huge game of Mario World appeals to me though.

Or perhaps I'll pop in Stunt Race FX to combine a huge blurry screen with poor framerate!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cicero posted:

They don't have terrible picture quality. It's just that they are showing you standard definition picture, which let's be honest, was largely determined in the 1940s based on what would look good and be feasible on black and white 10-15 inch sets. Then had color added on later.

So standard def video simply can never look very good at large screen sizes, like 50+ inch.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

27"? Get that weak poo poo outta here. You ain't gaming properly until you hit at least 36".

fatpat268 posted:

That's what an xrgb is for... weak lil bitches

:c00lbert:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Retro Gaming Megathread: Do You Even Lift?

---

I knocked out half of Slave Zero for Dreamcast yesterday. Don't get me wrong, the game is pretty bad, but it's also an incredibly quaint and charming example of 90s 3D gaming; I can't help but enjoy the hell out of the low-rez textures, simple geometry, obvious level design, and colored lighting.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

iastudent posted:

My rakuten order arrived today. :toot:

gently caress yes Lagoon. Criminally underappreciated action RPG with some catchy tunes.

Also, I have such a soft spot in my heart for early 90s animu style cover art. It's all just so... 90s.

e. I will say my one complaint about Lagoon is how short your sword is, and how I feel like you basically have to hug enemies to stab them, which leads to a lot of damage taken when you miss. I can't recall if you get longer swords as you go on or not, but I remember being annoyed at that.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 11, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Code Jockey posted:

Also, I have such a soft spot in my heart for early 90s animu style cover art. It's all just so... 90s.

Yeah the Japanese SFC box art is good. I went looking for high quality scans of the boxes so I could put them in the UGC cases. Despite the art being rectangular, it will actually fit on the UGC nicely. The SFC Final Fantasy VI box art even looks good on a UGC. I'm hoenstly really hesitant to get the real SFC boxes because A) they're cardboard and B) Supposedly the inks they use on some might be considered toxic by american standards. I know that was the case when I wanted to import a few books.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 11, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

They don't have terrible picture quality. It's just that they are showing you standard definition picture, which let's be honest, was largely determined in the 1940s based on what would look good and be feasible on black and white 10-15 inch sets. Then had color added on later.

So standard def video simply can never look very good at large screen sizes, like 50+ inch.

Also a big issue with like 99% of all big screen tvs (because owners don't know any better) is the convergence is never set properly. With the huge rear-projection tvs you have to actually aim the red, green and blue guns otherwise you get really badly ghosting.

While this is an extreme example this is what a tv looks like out of convergence

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just need 3D glasses and you're all set. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I got a model 1 Genesis, Phantasy Star 3, some golf game, and Ecco all CIB for 15 bucks.

It had the TMSS screen though, are there any chances I don't have the best audio possible? I might have mistakenly thought all High Definition Graphics marked Genesises had the same audio.

So bassy though. gently caress I love FM synthesis. I need to get one of them Mega Everdrives. If someone has one of the Genny flash carts that doesn't do 32x I'll buy it though.

• Locked thread