Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Face Team (Oreom, Hecate, Vanessa, Figuero, Thorgeisl)

Vanessa: Carbon returns your frown with a thoughtful, mildly disappointed look of his own, then puts on his usual cheshire grin. "It's not illithid magic, if that sets you at ease. The final product will be combination of Humanity's magics and some Dwarven technology. Now, if we could discuss your recruitment?"

Others: The Guards at the door seem very at ease and are engaged in casual conversation, mostly a heated debate over some apartments that have opened up in the nice side of town and which features in housing would impress girls. The other half of the relief comes in from the West, coming upstairs and slowly coming down the hall, also chatting. Seems there aren't many fears of your group attacking the Colonel or anything. Rather relaxed for a fort.

Sewer Team (P'ui, Olimar, Lefty)

(Right, so you've got a +10 to Disguise via Disguise Self on P'ui. Explore away!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

disguise: 1d20+13 23

(disguise self wears off in 10 minutes, if anyone interacts with my glamer they can will save and i will lose the +10 bonus)

"There are two doors of metal, and an encumbered ape approaches. This one defers to the two of you to decide which route we take."

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty puts on a suit of half-plate, with some help from Olimar because he has no idea how to properly don heavy armor. Disguise is more important than agility, at least for the moment.

"All right, ready? Follow my lead."

: "'Scuse me, boys, pardon, comin' through, got a report to turn in vis-a-vis a mist cloud what popped up in the sewer tunnel, headin' upstairs, possible undead sneakin' in, you know the business, mind my elbow there..."

Lefty pushes his way through the crowd, putting forth a determined aura of someone on Important Business Seeking a Superior Officer. His Bluff roll is an 18.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar follows along behind Lefty, giving him a slight glare for speaking as he gruffly bustles along, keeping close to the others and letting Lefty, who is assumes is better at social displays, do the speaking.

quote:

Disguise Roll: 1d20+9: 19 [1d20=10]

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Nessa frowns back, then shrugs.
"Fine, if that's how it is. Though I really think you should be more open. What did you have in mind?"

Sense Motive: 1d20+7=8 fuckin' nice

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Well there's really no need to be afraid that they'll attack the Colonel. They are not that stupid, and if things ever got in that direction, Hecate was more than sure that it'd happen as a more... Subdued way. No one would the guards to trace the steps that led to poor Nicholas' demise, no? Then again the morons taking care of the fort barely have the cognitive capabilities to do basic additions. If the Illithid invaded the place looking for tasty brains, they would most likely be safe.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oreom Bonne

Oreom doesn't even attempt to suppress his yawn after picking his teeth with his fingernails, idly scratching his forearms, finding a shiny bit of cannon to check his reflection in and fix his hair, and finally ends up wandering away from Hecate entirely to join the guards since at least they seem more interesting than the person he's ostensibly been hired by. "There's some girls worth impressin' in this stinkpit then?" he asked pointedly, because I mean, if this lot could think about impressing any of them, then he could probably do so tenfold. Those were odds he liked.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Vanessa, Sense Motive: Would Nick Carbon lie to you? Of course not. He's all smiles again. "As I said, it's 250 Gold for the sign-up and then you're in. With your prior experience, I'm sure you could be leading a unit within the month. It's getting a bit late, if you'd like to think on it and get back to me in the morrow?"

Oreom: Both guards are fresh-faced little rookies, heck, they ain't even wearing their helmets so you can see what baby-faces they are. Human brat with a buzz-cut and a poncy little blonde half-elf. They quickly stammer to each other a little too loudly. "Oh Gods, there's two of them?" "Shut up, shut up!"

They exchange a quieter whisper and the half-elf gives you a friendly nod. "There's a few women soldiers, but I dunno if you've heard, we've got a lady merc commander visiting." Buzz looks a bit surprised but then puffs out his cheeks, looks away and chokes down a laugh. Poncy continues, leading Oreom and his buddy back down the West Hall.

"Maybe you've heard of 'em, Cuthbert's Fist or somethin' like that, you know the type, usually the gold is good but sometimes they've gotta fight for their God and all that. Anyway..." He looks you up and down and seems impressed, Oreom. "Real tough bird, I don't think she cared for any of the usual grunts around here. Maybe you could try your luck, ace?" He gestures to a room at the end of the North Hall(Pink Halo.)

"Knock gentle like, she was staying as a guest last I heard." The door is closed and a small wooden sign is hung on the center of it with what looks like a simple Prestidigitation enchantment, little animated cloud-shaped letters bouncing up and down. Please Do Not Disturb ZzZzZzZz

And this gives a bit more view of the 2nd floor layout.

Olimar, Disguise: Nobody notices you at all. You're just another squat Dwarven recruit.

Lefty, Bluff: You catch a hold of a guy swaying dangerously back in his chair, somehow maintaining a sense of balance between a spilling mug in one hand and a chunk of meat in his right. He blinks at you stupidly, then parses the word "Report" and points out the kitchen. "S'that way, T.. Trinkshly."

Easy enough. I'll leave it to P'ui and Olimar where they are, but Lefty barges into the kitchen and sees a heavy Human fellow, an older man arguing with a Chef over a sauce recipe. The Chef is that in name and dirty white hat only, looking so much like a Half-Orc man made of scars, burns and long-suffering eyes.

"Now, if we could perhaps go for a longer, slower roast at a reduced temperature, I was able to hunt down a flank of a most curious beast and I... er.. hello lad. At ease." The large fellow turns to face Lefty. "What's all this then?" He wrinkles his nose a bit. "Zounds, you're a bit ripe. End of the patrol, eh? Heh heh."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 9, 2013

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

P'ui takes careful stock of the guardroom, searching for an opportunity for disruption.

(Doom, are they drawing their booze from the same source? Like, a keg or something?)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(Nope. Different room, current booze source is the barrels in the dining hall.)

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty steps into the kitchen as little as possible and rips off a very rigid salute, standing completely ramrod straight at something resembling attention until the CO puts him at ease. He shifts his weight back and forth and scratches at his fingernails a bit as he talks, trying to come off as a nervous new recruit.

: "Yessir, sir. Timothy McSweeney, sir, fresh outta the dunny with a report, sir! Just a few moments previous a cloud of mist appeared near the sewer entrance, sir! Not pers'nally sure whether it was an event worth reporting -- sir! -- but decided it could be magic of some sort and better safe than sorry, sir! Requesting permission to excuse myself and knock the kack off my boots before I scum up the kitchen, sir!"

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar heads to he door Lefty went into and stands near it enough to hear inside and assist if need be, relaxing and waiting while he listens and stays out of the way.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Nessa grumbles a little. "Hmm. Fine, fine. I'll think on it."

She walks out of the room, taking in the scene, nodding at Figuero.
"I figure you're next..."
Then, she moves closer to Hecate, waving at Oreom down the hall.
"'s goin' on over there?"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Figuero Yhong

Striding through the open doors, the young Inquisitor makes his way to face Carbon. Creaking from the closing doors break into silence for a moment before Figuero takes a breath.
"So it would seem that the Colonel is building much more than an army. Pray tell, what else...exactly have you been building?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Figuero: Carbon rounds his desk and grabs the chair, pulling it off to the side and sitting so that he's not blocked by the display case. "That's a strange thing to hear from a stranger. What makes you think there's anything more than what I've honestly told you? A good and proper force to clean up a world that sorely needs it... that's all you'll find. Don't tell me you're some sort of Draunt or Dwarf idealist, boy."

Vanessa: Of all the... the poncy half-elf blonde boy returns the wave. Oreom seems to be shooting the breeze with these two.

Updated positions.

Lefty: Sir Trinkshly blinks a few times, perhaps stunned by your earnestness and then chuckles warmly. "Ah, don't worry m'boy. Sometimes things build up down there, negative emotions you know, give the men in their bunks a spook but we can keep it under control. I do have it on good faith, though, that we have a visiting holy man." He leans towards you a bit and winks, then chuckles again at his own joke. "Here, my boy. Take this parchment and this quill and head upstairs." He hands you the items and leads you over to the north door and indicates the hall heading North, where two sets of stairs go further up or further down and there's a set of huge stone doors on the East wall.

"Now, just head up into the manor's first floor and ask around for a Mister Jamesson. St. Cuthbert, you know, a righteous good set for hammering some quiet back into the bones." The stairs leading up to the first floor of the manor are marked by the i.

Seizing a platter of something's ribs absolutely soaked in a righteous, thickly scented sauce, Sir Trinkshly gives you a firm look, like your friendly uncle trusting you to do something trivial to give you confidence. "You'll get used to the run of it, lad."

Olimar: While Lefty is spoken to, the chef prepares some things, gives Sir Trinkshly a dull glare to the back of the head, then cheers up with a start when he notices you. He hustles over. "Oi, Dwarf. You look like the perfect mix between too sober and too drunk. Want to double your 'rations'?" He gives you a knowing nod, then grabs a bucket of cold water and a coarse brush.

"Right, just spend an hour working over those statues(green Halos) and be sure to use plenty of 'cleaner.'" He gives you a canteen of rum, pressing it between your hand and the side of the bucket while Sir Trinkshly is occupied.

P'ui: Eavesdropping on Lefty's briefing and perhaps Olimar's opportunity, you get the inkling that the booze is in decent abundance and get the location of the huge storeroom doors on the East Wall. Well... it is a Dwarven fort, after all.

Full Map thus far.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Who knows? They are socializing, it seems." Hecate shrugs at Vanessa while examining the two guards in front of Carbon's door. "Really charming, our Colonel, no?" She says with obvious sarcasm.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Oreom Bonne

"Fist, huh?" "Gold, eh?"

Oreom nods along amiably, his eyes wandering distractedly as he immediately realizes that guards this shiftless and scrawny probably wouldn't know a real woman if she threw her drink in their face -- as all women worth courting are wont to do -- but a few words do jump out at him. Fists and gold are pretty much his wheelhouse, after all. What he hadn't been expecting, although perhaps he should have given the various and sundry gathered down below, was that there might be fists, gold, and women all within a span of feet away. Hell, nobody was jumping out from around the corner to attack his fly by night companions, so there was no harm in trying his luck as they said. "Ain't much for God," Oreom admitted, "but I'm okay with'm screamin' to him if they want." His grin was every cocky rear end in a top hat magnified and tarred black, angling his index fingers toward each of the guards, thumbs akimbo. He snapped his wrists and barely restrained a verbalized p'choo! before spinning on his heel to peek at the door. .. do not disturb? Well c'mon, if she's that tough a bird, she wouldn't startle too badly.

Honestly, banging on a door like the sound of a gunshot, probably not his slickest move in a mansion full of cannons and people from all walks of life. But that's just because he was saving his slickest moves for the woman on the other side of the door.

Unless she was a battle-axe, in which case, he could probably surreptitiously light something on fire and claim that he was waking her so she could evacuate with everyone else, right?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Oreom: Bang Bang Bang! No reply... well, can't let small set-backs deter you. Bang Bang Bang! Sometime between your departing their company and your first set of knocks, the two Guards have moved to the stairs and are leaning against them, watching you, thoroughly distracted.

Hecate: A pair of Human fellas, including that doorman from before. Both are relaxed and at ease with weapons sheathed and helmets off, but they exchange a confused look at the loud knocking, getting ready to move.

Bang Bang Bang! Bang Bang... CRACK! The door flies open with the force of somebody pushing to destroy whatever is on the other side and shatters against Oreom's armor and sturdy frame as he barely survives a ferocious door attack! (Missed Attack, no Non-Lethal Damage taken.)

Full.

A woman wearing the thick under-padding of heavier armor clenches the door-knob and whatever remains are still attached to it, glaring at Oreom eye to eye. They're roughly the same height, except that she has a foot on Oreom thanks to a pair of horns that erupt from the forehead and point straight up with a very slight curve-back like a goat's. Black-red hair, red skin, black sclera and red iris, a spread of black-red patching along the cheeks, arms and shoulders that look like a magma-based version of freckles. Reminds you a bit of you. Especially when she steps forward and with face about two inches away from yours screams "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT, poo poo-HEAD?!" loud enough to ring your ears and cause the guards near Carbon's door to shake their heads and sigh knowingly. The guards by the steps exchange a look, Buzz a bit of horror and Poncy snickering.

This gives vision of the room, a nice guest bedroom with a balcony behind some closed-frame glass doors.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 10, 2013

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Figuero Yhong

"Your machine is impressive, but if you think that contraption and a manor-full of house-guard alone can purge the world of its evils you are a naive fool." Figuero pauses before adding "But you are no naive fool are you Nicolas?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Figuero: If Carbon noticed the recent commotion, he hasn't reacted or doesn't care. He gives you a simple shrug, leaning forward in his chair a bit. "I wouldn't say I am, but you might be. I'll need you to make your point, sir."

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar takes the items from the chef and nods, giving a gruff, "Sounds good." before heading away with the bucket, brush and alcohol, he pockets the flask and then waits for Lefty, very confused by the actions of the humans, he slowly begins brushing the statue nearest the door while he waits.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Olimar: Easy work, fine statues... Ah, there's something unusual about this Stonework(automatic Perception with +2, result of 11 + 10 = 21)

Much like the sort of last resort measures they use in the Underdark, there's a double fail-safe locking mechanism under the Dwarven Defender's heavy tower shield. How it works is that the mechanism is delicate(for Dwarven stonework) and easy to activate by hitting the switch in the Statue's hand, but it also seals itself off if enemies overrun the area and desecrate the area by destroying the statue, destroying the mechanism.

You can barely notice a small pattern in the stonework nearby, which probably marks where the door will open.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

P'ui moves carefully down the hallway and into the booze stockpile.

Stealth: 1d20+14 30

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hecate sinks her left palm on her face after hearing the terrifying noise coming from where Oreom went, following it until she meets the two Ifrit apparently bickering near the shattered door. That kind of incident was completely uncalled for... Still, it looks like the Goat-woman appears to be one of Carbon's lieutenants... Perhaps he's not actually the bigot that he appeared to be before, considering all the non-humans in his employ. Or perhaps he just appreciates talent. Anyway, it falls on Hecate to defuse that situation before it escalates even further. She approaches them, speaking on a conciliatory way: "Excuse me, is my bodyguard bothering you, my Lady? If that is the case... I ask for your forgiveness, it should have dawned on me to keep a closer eye on him." She then stares at Oreom, her face expression looking quite displeased.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Oreom Bonne

Oreom grunts as the door hits him, almost comically unmoved by the splintering wood around him. He had been so little expecting the sheer speed at which it flew open that he didn't have the time to panic before it splintered around him and fell to the ground in much more diminutive, cute little pieces. Adoorable, even. Still, he glowered at the door's remains falling around him before snapping his gaze up to whatever ogre had decided to guard the fey little Ms. Mercenary inside. "Hey now, pal --" he started, roiling a sound like coal being shoveled in the back of his throat as he snapped to attention.

There was a moment where Oreom simply stood there, apparently seething, until a faint, piercing sound struck through the air and brief puffs of steam shot out of his ears with the cry of a tea kettle. WOW, A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN!! he managed to avoid saying purely by way of growling a cough into the back of his fist and then not so surreptitiously jumping up on the balls of his feet, getting as much extra height as he could so as to not be stared at on equal level by a woman. .. not that Oreom was especially misogynist or anything, he just wasn't used to any women save Orc women actually standing that tall, and it threw him off his game more than the screaming did. "WELL NOW, my mistake there lil' miss, but them fellas told me the headatha Golddarned's Fist was in here, and seems they was havin' a prank," HEH, Oreom managed once he got his bearings back a moment later, spreading his hands out and wearing a grin that could have shoveled more dung than a mule farmer during apple season.

No one ever got a drink thrown in their face without first knocking their to-be-courted down the sufficient number of pegs, after all.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa follows Hecate, watching the scene and feeling thoroughly amused.
"Socializing, huh?"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Figuero Yhong

"Colonel, what if I told you I am much more than I appear to be?"

Figuero's silver tongue jumps to life as honeyed words spill from its tip

Yhong begins his tale long ago, during the ravages of the great war....

"and that my good friend has left me convinced, this cabal of sorcerers has been collecting Mind Flayer artifacts to further their diaboloical scheme to restore their masters to power. More importantly, you need me to protect yours"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

She glares at Hecate for a second, probably for being in the line of fire when she is glaring at Oreom so intently, then relaxes a bit, softening down to venomous looks. "Rr... Keep your pets on leashes, lady." She offers you a hand to shake, twice as big as yours. "Just call me Ja..." Then Oreom speaks up and she draws the hand back in an instant.

She needs it to grab Oreom's collar and wrench him down the half-inch he gained and back to Earth, after all. "YOU HEARD WRONG?! I'M JAQUELYN OF CUTHBERT, YOU rear end! THE HAMMER HELD BY THE FIST! I'LL BREAK EVERY BONE YOU'VE GOT!" If yelling is an art, Jaquelyn is a rising talent. A few specks of steaming spittle land on your face.

The two guards at the stairwell have fled, particularly as Oreom made sure to point them out.

Figuero, Bluff: Carbon hears you out, the entire time barely able to conceal a bit of slack-jawed gaping. As you finish up he sighs and grips his face with one hand, pulling it down in a show of frustration. "You've got to be kidding me." Have you gone too far? Nick grins and points at you while chuckling. "I thought I had a peg on that half-assed arms dealer." He stands up and does another pace around the room, hands behind his back. "And the Lady Knight I can read like a book, but you..." He stops in front of you, then offers a hand to shake. "You're the first one I like. You say you know about some cultist cabals, eh? Very useful, very useful. You'll have to tell me your line of work, my own Wizard is getting a bit on in years and his replacement will be an amateur for awhile more. I could use somebody like yourself, Mister...?"

The cordial introductions are interrupted by round two of incredibly angry shouting. Carbon seems to perk up a bit. "Heh, well, I think I'm finished with the interrogations today. What say we go watch the fight?" He does a quick two-finger gesture towards his office door.

P'ui: (Hold onto this Stealth Result for a bit, your Disguise is holding up well so far.) You creep over to the warehouse doors. They look very large and imposing being made of stone and Dwarven and all that, but the Dwarven craftsmanship shows through when they're incredibly easy to quietly roll back on great sliding frames, permitting enough of an opening to squeeze in and then immediately close again.

Empty keg racks, stuffed to capacity keg racks and the remains of half an emptied keg rack, where the Humans are giving obvious preference to the smaller barrels of lesser proof liquor. They say that Dwarves brew above 200 proof because a man can have plateaus but limits will kill him, but most Humanoid races aren't able to match Dwarven stomachs for enjoying liquor as flammable as lantern oil. A small rat with a frayed ear and a red tinge to it's left eye pokes out over the edge of a wooden barrel, watching you come in. A good omen in any Ratfolk tale! Squeak. There's also a small stool next to the most recently tapped barrels, probably to taste test before they're brought out.

Huge iron artillery pieces crowd out another corner with smaller, finer cannons in front. The huge tubes are designed as a first step forward in the exciting field of catapult ballistics, not much more than unguided angry tubes of explosives pointed in the general direction of enemies with great decorations of strong Dwarven arms and Hammers at the end where fire erupts. Each piece is layered in dust and hasn't been fired in a long time and the room is absent any gunpowder or anything to load. The last corner is occupied by a bunch of tattered and moth-eaten rolled up tapestries and carpets, probably the colors of the last owner. An orange tabby cat lounges across them, sleeping. A lone weapons rack holds four plain spears.

And because Dwarves, there's also two huge blocks of generic stone granite, in case a new statue needs to be emergency carved or something. Dwarves.

Something glints in the remains of the empty keg rack. You discover an ornamental beer stein made of marble. Despite the age and lack of care on everything else in the room it's polished to a dim luster with a very happy and full-cheeked bearded face smiles at the front of it in detailed carving.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui opens the most recently tapped keg and pours four vials of Oil of Taggit into the most recently tapped keg. Though the doses should be diluted, she hopes it may be enough with the liquor and good spirits to put the guards under.

quote:

Type poison (ingested); Save Fortitude DC 15

Onset 1 minute

Effect unconsciousness for 1d3 hours; Cure 1 save

There is no rules for mass poison/poison dilution Doom so I will leave it on you to decide what, if any effect this has.

She slips the empty vials in her satchel, eyeballing the sleeping cat warily. She approaches the rat she'd spotted and holds out a hand to her little 'cousin'. She's never been one for animals, but rodents ARE kin, after all.

Handle animal ; P'ui is bad at this :ohdear:: 1d20+2 5

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013

quote:

liquor and good spirits

I see what you did there.

: "Y-y-yessir. Right away sir."

And Lefty excuses himself, gives a quick gesture to Olimar I guess since he's still visible, indicating "Stay here if you've got a lead but I'm headed into the manor" as succinctly as possible. Then he heads to and, barring complications, through door i.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl Whose Laughter Stinks of Killing

Thorgeisl accompanies Hecate as she investigates the commotion Oreom is causing. Seeing the situation he quickly stifles a snicker. Still he cannot help a small chuckle, "I believe she may be too much for you friend."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa smiles, glancing at Thorgeisl.
"Heh. I like her."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hecate hesitates before almost giving her hand back to Jaquelyn to shake. Almost is the right word, as she's interrupted by the loud woman's angry yelling as she again lashes against Oreom. It would be quite a comedic situation, and the Dhampir can't help but smirk as her companion is lifted from the ground by the woman. "By the Gods... Oreom, stop being so, so... Infuriating! We are here to do business with Carbon, not to start fights with his subordinates." She says before turning to Jaquelyn, still trying to appease the knight's rage. "My Lady, if you would be so kindly, my bodyguard will sure stop making japes if you let him go."

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Figuero Yhong

"Yhong, you may call me Inquisitor Yhong" Figuero spoke with a stern gaze in his eyes, the brown iris' twinkled with the slightest hint of divine competence.
"Surely to a guiled man such such as yourself it goes without saying, but please keep the cards I have shown you close to your chest. The tentacles of the flayers have longer reach than some would still believe"

With that Figuero's eyes once again flared in exuberance, leaving no trace of his sombre and solemn face.

"To the antechamber to see what all the fracas is then?" he said, leading the way out of the room.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Oreom Bonne

Oreom's grin fades for two reasons. One, he's flinching from the sheer volume that Jaquelyn manages to rise to, and two, he doesn't want to swap spittle so impersonally as to catch every spray that strikes him in the face with her screaming. So he turns his flinch into a deliberate glance off at a very interesting part of the ceiling, paying more mind to it than to her before glancing back at her only when she's near the end of her tirade, seeming as brutally impassively bored as he could possibly make his face appear.

"Break me bones, wouldya?" he asked, the incredulous lifting of an eyebrow barely able to win out over his grin erupting back onto his face at the challenge literally spat at him. Rather than forcing his hands up to try to remove her grip, he spreads both of his wide to either side, throwing his head back and laughing. "MINE!?"

"YER'D THREATEN TO BREAK THE BONES OF CAPTAIN OREOM BONNE!? I COMMAND OVER 8000 MERCENARY FORCES FROM THE TOP T' BOTTOM OF ILLYS!" he bellowed right back, but where Jaquelyn flared up in fury, Oreom practically swelled up with utter pride in his own majesty, thumping a fist back over to his chest. "You so much'n touch me again," he says, batting at the woman's wrist with a gentle shooing motion and an addendum of "before drinks 'n sweettalks, anyway," muttered quickly to her just so she knew what was what before flinging his hand out in Hecate's direction, "and me loyal forces'll bring m' army down on this here li'l manor in seconds flat!"

.. granted, Oreom couldn't bluff his way out of a lunchsack with gullible literally penned onto it, but boasting was all about believing in yourself. If other people did too, then so much the better!

"Sometimes I'm pretendin' to be a bodyguard, so as t'let 'em feel good about 'emselves, I'm sure yanno how that goes," he added in a much more conversational, if somewhat conspiratorial, tone toward the the actual merc captain.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar moves over to intercept Lefty, muttering quietly to him, "Those statues have hidden switches on them that open hidden doors. I don't know what it pertains to or what is inside though... I dislike that cook. Giving me a brush and putting me to work, I am a dwarf not a polisher." He lets out a grumble and then says, "I can accompany you up if you'd like, we can always come back down here and look at the statues later when the mess hall is open, I don't know if the hidden door is gonna make a racket when it opens, I'd rather open it when there wasn't a horde of guards about."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(Heyo had a thing to discuss with y'all in the OOC thread.)

Jaquelyn lets go and rears back a bit, clearly startled. She stammers. "E.. eight thousand?!" Black eyes go wide and lashes flutter in confusion. After two beats understanding lowers her brow and her lips curl up in a mocking smile. "You know what they say about big armies." Wrinkles on the bridge of her nose, eyes half-squinting, pointed little teeth weaving a coy smile. Is she a Fiend or an Imp!? "I'm already up and I doubt I'll be able to sleep, so why don't we settle this?" She heads back into her room.

Then returns quickly with a massive club of a two-handed mace in her hands, the spikes of the head charred and thick with soot.

A familiar gentleman cuts in. "Woah, now." Seems the good Colonel and Figuero have come over to the shenanigans! Nick parts the space between Thor and Nessa with a shoulder, giving Jaquelyn a quick wave. "If we're going to see you work out on somebody that isn't green, what say we take this to the barracks, eh? Doors replace easy, but I dunno about entire walls."

Jaquelyn rolls her eyes in a clear show of restraint not reserved for the rest of you, then growls out an agreement. "Rrrrrright. Let's go, chump." Chuuuuuuuummmmmm-P*puh!* She pumps her arms up and down with the mace ready, staring Oreom down.

P'ui, Handle Animal: The rat simply ducks away and skitters off, dropping into the spaces between the barrels. Oh well.

Olimar: Your choice whether or not to follow Lefty upstairs, let us know what you do!

Lefty: You decide to follow orders?! You head upstairs and pass through the spiraling stone stair-case upstairs to where the fort joins with the manor and the stone meets the wood at the front passage, the exit nearby.

You're in a long side-hall next to the main hallways and to the luxurious foyeur and get a decent line of sight along the front of the manor. There's a pair of guards nearby, a poncy looking half-elf blondie and some Human with a buzz-cut. Both greet you friendly-like and warn you not to head upstairs and are grateful to point you down the hall to complete your quest. The smells of a higher class of fine sauces mingle with the crudities from below and join together in the nearby first floor kitchen, where the great firepit from below rises up and joins hanging smoking skewers and a great stone cropping that allows all that smoke to be funneled out of the manor. Another guard is about bumming some food off an aloof-looking Elven chef and they indicate a nearby room.

Inside are four young boys in robes, one Human, two pretty Humans and one mostly Human. The three look a bit confused to see you enter, but the red-skinned boy sitting closest to you races a hand and gives you a friendly greeting. "Hey, flatfoot. What do you need?"

Full.

Jamesson is a young and handsome mostly-Human fellow, probably around your own age Lefty, but he has crimson red skin, patches that look a bit like malignant magma about his cheeks and a wreath of inch-long pointed horns ringing the top of his head, giving him the look of a natural crown of red thorns. His iris are a vibrant yellow-orange and stand out with the black sclera. He's wearing a simple white-blue tunic and some brown trousers and a prominent amulet of a round circle with multiple small orange gems set in silver. Resting against the couch he's lounging on is a two-handed staff with a matching staff-head design, looking like a large and imposing silver targeting lenses or something.

The room is full of a pleasant smoke and there's a set of two lit pipes on the far shelf. Jamesson himself is holding another pipe, though it's hard to case his unique features for anything that isn't a sharp, lucid mind.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 22, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

"Haha, chump."
She leans down a little, whispering to the colonel.
"She's great. Where'd you find her?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Carbon replies without bothering to whisper, speaking clearly out of the side of his grin with a side-long look at Nessa while still facing forward. "War isn't a downer for everyone, Madam Knight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Well, the nervous new recruit under a fake name thing worked before, maybe it'll keep working.

: "Y-yessir. Timothy McSweeney, sir. Sir Trinkishly asked me to report in, sir, on account of odd goings-on down in the sewers, sir. Just got off shift, sir, and me and Louie -- that's the dwarf just here outside, sir -- saw some odd mist on our way in, sir. Wasn't sure what to make of it."

"Very much hope it's nothing, sir, after several hours standing in the sewers I'd much like to see the back of this nonsense and take a shower. Sir."

Bluff Check: 15. At best I'm hoping for a bit of a hubbub as people chase a false lead, at least I'm hoping to be dismissed to go wander around for a bit on my own.

• Locked thread