Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bobnumerotres posted:

If you are asking what can be done on modern gaming computers and the WiiU/360 and such that can't be done on the gamecube and PS2 I don't quite know what to say.

I guess you can have more enemies on screen and the physics can be better? It's not like there's a gametype you can't do or something.

edit: Seriously, what about modern consoles will make for a more compelling Matrix game, I can't think of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

theflyingorc posted:

I guess you can have more enemies on screen and the physics can be better? It's not like there's a gametype you can't do or something.

edit: Seriously, what about modern consoles will make for a more compelling Matrix game, I can't think of anything.

Online-play components, maybe? A Dark Souls-ish notion of people's actions in other games propagating into yours as "glitches in the Matrix", maybe. That's the big thing that strikes me as available this generation and simply not practical in the PS2 generation as asked.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Forget the Matrix games, with stuff like Saints Row 2,3, and Crackdown we need a new Robocop game.

Open world sandbox game where Robocop goes around smashing things and abusing police privlages like comandeering civilian vehicles. Also upgrading his Cyborg body so he smashes things better.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Sly Pistachio posted:

The Wii U Game Pad is the poster child of why proprietary rechargeable batteries do not belong in gaming controllers.

Can someone explain to me the advantage of having a proprietary battery when a single rechargeable AA battery can hold up to twice the amount of power as the proprietary one that Nintendo sticks in there?

That's not twice the power. That's 3.1 watts versus 5.5 watts. Voltage matters too.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
e: Wait I misread a thing. Nevermind.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 12, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I would really love to regularly open the Gamepad up and remove/insert rechargable AAs, instead of the current system where I just let it live in the charging dock when not in use and never have to worry about it ever.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I wouldn't mind the while recharging deal if the battery life was longer.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Junkie Disease posted:

NSMB Wii U will surprise you with its well crafted levels and its ability to make you feel like a big clumsy idiot. I wouldn't lump it in the same group of rehashes that sports games tend to run.

The game is really fun but... it's exactly the same as NSMB Wii. Most levels even have the same background music! As in, unchanged. It's pretty insulting. That and we're being charged full Wii U game price for 1.7 GB. 1.7 GB! You get 10 times that in Tekken.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 12, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

WendigoJohnson posted:

I wouldn't mind the while recharging deal if the battery life was longer.

It's pretty excellent for something that can constantly stream video and apparently costs less than $200 to make.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

theflyingorc posted:

It's pretty excellent for something that can constantly stream video and apparently costs less than $200 to make.

That's not going to really matter if it dies while in the middle of playing Monster Hunter.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

WendigoJohnson posted:

That's not going to really matter if it dies while in the middle of playing Monster Hunter.

Oh, sure I'd like the battery life to be longer, I'm just saying that it's actually pretty good for what it is.

edit: I usually keep mine plugged in all the time.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Sly Pistachio posted:

The Wii U Game Pad is the poster child of why proprietary rechargeable batteries do not belong in gaming controllers.

Can someone explain to me the advantage of having a proprietary battery when a single rechargeable AA battery can hold up to twice the amount of power as the proprietary one that Nintendo sticks in there?

Okay, fine. Maybe AA batteries are a little fatter than the battery Nintendo puts in there. I still think Nintendo could have worked the fatter AA battery into the game pad's design without much trouble. But for the sake of argument, here's two AAA rechargeables compared:

The AAA batteries seem to be the same thickness of the Wii U proprietary battery.

Look how many AA batteries you could fit into the Wii U Game Pad's battery compartment:

If you could stick six 3000 mAh AA batteries in there you would have over 10x the battery life that Nintendo's current pitiful 1500 mAh battery provides.

It's not like proprietary batteries are cheaper. Nyko's third party higher capacity battery solution of 4000 mAh costs $25. You could get 8000 mAh of capacity in rechargeable AAs from Amazon for $9.50 if the Wii U didn't use a proprietary battery.

Not to mention how annoying it is going to be trying to replace proprietary batteries a decade or two from now when the console has been long dead and all accessories ceased manufacturing.

There is just no win for the gamer in this case which is why I find it so bizarre how people will whine about having to use AA batteries in the Xbox 360 controller and praise the PS3's built-in proprietary rechargeable battery.

You're ignoring that you're comparing 1.2V cells to a 3.7V cell (essentially you need 3 of those AA or AAA batteries to create the same voltage). Nintendo didn't go with a higher capacity battery because they wanted to either make the pack lighter or save money (or both). Not to mention the cells you're comparing aren't even of the same technology (Ni-MH vs Li-on) which can greatly affect price/number of rated cycles/discharge rate/etc.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

Fatal posted:

You're ignoring that you're comparing 1.2V cells to a 3.7V cell (essentially you need 3 of those AA or AAA batteries to create the same voltage). Nintendo didn't go with a higher capacity battery because they wanted to either make the pack lighter or save money (or both). Not to mention the cells you're comparing aren't even of the same technology (Ni-MH vs Li-on) which can greatly affect price/number of rated cycles/discharge rate/etc.

Which is why I did a size comparison which shows that Nintendo could have put a six AA battery compartment in the same amount of space for all their voltage needs. Six 1.2V 1000 mAh AAA batteries are also the size of a single proprietary 3.7V 1500 mAh Nintendo battery.

When a pack of four 1.2V 2000mAh AA batteries can be had on Amazon for $9.50 (for an effective power of 4.8V/8000 mAh) and that 3.7V Nyko 4000 mAh proprietary battery is $25 I think it's pretty clear that we're getting ripped off by this decision - especially when Nintendo comes out with their "official" enlarged battery pack that costs twice as much as Nyko's pack.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Sly Pistachio posted:

Which is why I did a size comparison which shows that Nintendo could have put a six AA battery compartment in the same amount of space for all their voltage needs. Six 1.2V 1000 mAh AAA batteries are also the size of a single proprietary 3.7V 1500 mAh Nintendo battery.

When a pack of four 1.2V 2000mAh AA batteries can be had on Amazon for $9.50 (for an effective power of 4.8V/8000 mAh) and that 3.7V Nyko 4000 mAh proprietary battery is $25 I think it's pretty clear that we're getting ripped off by this decision - especially when Nintendo comes out with their "official" enlarged battery pack that costs twice as much as Nyko's pack.

A pack of 6 1.2v 1000mAh batteries *is* almost the same capacity as Nintendos battery. The pack would be 3.6v 2000mAh if you were trying to match the voltage. And it's not the same battery tech, I'd bet that the Li-ion battery would weigh less and be able to be cycled more than the NiMh pack.

Here's something that's approximately equivalent: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8483 $17 in single units. Yes, it's cheap, but we're talking about a $250 video game console, a part that costs 7% of the total is pretty dang expensive.

You're doing power math wrong, 4 1.2v 2000mAh AA batteries is *either* 4.8v 2000mAh or 1.2v 8000mAh or something in-between. And you're still comparing NiMh batteries to Li-Ion, two very different techs (the difference between what powered early 90's cell phones and iPhones)

Fatal fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 12, 2013

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.

Sly Pistachio posted:

Your system: Endless cycle of moneydumping involving several dozen packs of batteries.

Current system: Leave it on the dock when not playing or set it up so you can have it plugged in while playing.

My last experience changing Xbox 360 controller batteries: 10 minutes of my fat goonfingers trying to get the batteries out because something expanded or contracted and I must be missing something because I can't believe it took that long.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mostly what I'm seeing here is someone who started out being angry about the size taken up relative to the internal space, and is now retroactively looking for a problem with the battery to justify that gut reaction.

The Gamepad actually deliberately has extra empty space in it, to make it physically larger for ergonomic purposes without increasing the weight. There probably wouldn't have been any of that horrifying extra space in the battery enclosure if Nintendo had instead gone for the most compact design possible.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So my Wii just died and I just got done tearing it apart to get to my disc inside. No way to salvage my saves or downloaded games for when I get a Wii U, is there?

Just to be clear, I literally tore it apart.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

PureRok posted:

So my Wii just died and I just got done tearing it apart to get to my disc inside. No way to salvage my saves or downloaded games for when I get a Wii U, is there?

Put it back together to the best of your ability and send it to Nintendo?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PureRok posted:

Probably should have sent it in for a warrenty repair. Pretty sure they'd get your disk back.

Rage destruction?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It wasn't under warranty as far as I am aware. It wasn't rage destruction. Just eventually I ran into screws that were shaped like -< and didn't have a driver that fit, so I got a drill and drilled them out. Then I couldn't find the other screws so I used the back end of a hammer to pry it open far enough to snap one side of the plate off. Then I kind just started ripping metal bits out that were still stuck to the frame. I actually had some family members helping out. Took about 45 minutes or so, I think. Big mess by the end.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PureRok posted:

It wasn't under warranty as far as I am aware. It wasn't rage destruction. Just eventually I ran into screws that were shaped like -< and didn't have a driver that fit, so I got a drill and drilled them out. Then I couldn't find the other screws so I used the back end of a hammer to pry it open far enough to snap one side of the plate off. Then I kind just started ripping metal bits out that were still stuck to the frame. I actually had some family members helping out. Took about 45 minutes or so, I think. Big mess by the end.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/manuals/warrantyinfo.jsp

Pretty sure its 12 months...

Edit: OH, WII. My bad, I read WiiU and was very confused why you would just tear into it like that. Makes so much more sense now.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 12, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I've had my Wii for about 5 years.

Here's what it looks like now, btw.

E: I guess there's nothing to be done. I'm not looking forward to replaying large parts of some of those JRPGs I have. And having to do the first three dungeons of Skyward Sword is going to be a pain... This is the one time I wish my saves were on a cloud. I usually hate clouds. I had the whole Zelda series on the drat thing. I guess I'll have to buy them again.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 12, 2013

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

While reading your post I was having flashbacks to the printer scene from Office Space. Good to see the system came out much better than I was expecting. Interesting looking.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
For those odd shaped screws you either use a Gamebit to get them out, or melt a pen at the back end until the plastic is soft and then stick it in the screw until it takes the shape of the screw head imprint.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
What game was it? Was it worth the effort?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Samurai Warriors 3. I'd say it was worth the effort. It wasn't damaged at all. The game is brand new as I only bought it a few weeks ago and put it in to play a couple of days ago.

The good thing is I was already planning on getting a Wii U (have to play the new Zelda eventually), but I didn't want to give up all of my saves and stuff for it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

PureRok posted:

No way to salvage my saves or downloaded games for when I get a Wii U, is there?
I'm assuming you didn't back up your saves onto an SD Card (at least the ones that could) in case something like this happened? Then no. No way I know of to get those saves back.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Sad thing is I had an SD card in there which I forgot about until I was looking around the Wii for screws and saw it in the slot. Really wish I had been backing up my saves. Well. I guess I'll just have to suck it up.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PureRok posted:

Samurai Warriors 3. I'd say it was worth the effort. It wasn't damaged at all. The game is brand new as I only bought it a few weeks ago and put it in to play a couple of days ago.

The good thing is I was already planning on getting a Wii U (have to play the new Zelda eventually), but I didn't want to give up all of my saves and stuff for it.

Since you're getting a Wii U, you might want to rebuy your Zelda games on the Wii U Virtual Console (which is getting NES, SNES and GBA games), as buying them on the Wii menu of the Wii U will mean you will have to pay a fee to redeem each one on the new virtual console with the new features.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So is there no way to improve the visual quality when playing Wii games? I think I've become spoiled by my 360 and PS3 because Skyward Sword looks so loving jaggy. :(

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

EC posted:

So is there no way to improve the visual quality when playing Wii games? I think I've become spoiled by my 360 and PS3 because Skyward Sword looks so loving jaggy. :(

Component cable which outputs 480p. Or Dolphin emulation if your computer can handle it.

edit: Never mind I'm sure Wii U already upscales. So emulation is the only option.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

EC posted:

You can use one of the Wii cables, but that requires changing the output settings in the Wii U menu.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You can use one of the Wii cables, but that requires changing the output settings in the Wii U menu.

Wait, the WiiU doesn't upscale if you're using HDMI?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

EC posted:

Wait, the WiiU doesn't upscale if you're using HDMI?

Nope.

Ubi devs are better at PR than the PR folks.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So what does that actually say? Because if its slagging off their employer and its business decisions then it is actually terrible PR and a good example of why companies don't let the average Joe speak to the public in the first place.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It says "Give us Rayman" "Support Ubisoft Montpelier" I think. Rayman says "please"

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ok, so I think I'm confusing things in my head.

The original Wii would play games in 480p if you had the component cable adapter. I want to know if the Wii U plays Wii games at 480p when it's connected via HDMI. I used the term "upscaling" but I don't think I used it correctly.

Basically: does the WiiU play Wii games as good as the Wii did, or is it outputting stuff in SD? Because (like I mentioned earlier) Skyward Sword looks downright ugly.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

EC posted:

The original Wii would play games in 480p if you had the component cable adapter. I want to know if the Wii U plays Wii games at 480p when it's connected via HDMI. I used the term "upscaling" but I don't think I used it correctly.

Basically: does the WiiU play Wii games as good as the Wii did, or is it outputting stuff in SD? Because (like I mentioned earlier) Skyward Sword looks downright ugly.

It's also going to be a problem if you're on a larger television than you used to be.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

EC posted:

Someone mentioned this earlier, although I can't confirm if it works or if it's even necessary to do to begin with. I tried it with Xenoblade and the game looked the same before and after. ( But it didn't look bad to begin with so maybe it was displaying correctly for me? )

Go back to the WiiU menu
Go to System Settings
Set it to 480p and 16:9
go back to the Wii menu
It should be fixed
Then apparently when you go back to the WiiU menu next time you can set it back to 1080p and it should convert correctly in Wii mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
At the risk of coming off as :tinfoil:, Montpellier's protest seems like a coordinated effort on Ubisoft's part to drum up some sympathy for the development team, by philosophically divorcing Montpellier from Ubisoft's executives. Playing off the studio as a victim potentially allows for the current discussion to change from "I'm not buying the game" to "In spite of Ubisoft's executive decision making, I am buying the game to support Michel Ancel and his team."

Edit: It just seems unlikely that the studio would be so vocal about what amounts to a pretty straight forward delay.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 12, 2013

• Locked thread