Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

JoltSpree posted:

I've heard that the rats in the Depths are great for farming humanity, so I gave it a shot. Half an hour later, I now have enough souls to level up, and I haven't gotten a single humanity. First time through the depths I didn't stop to farm, and I got three just by killing random rats. I have three humanity in the counter right now.

Should I just go to Blighttown? Are there any particular drops I should gather humanity for, or does it not really matter?

The rats are decent. If you're gonna farm them, you want the Gold Serpent Ring and 10 Humanity. There are two better places to farm humanity, later in the game (one's in the DLC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JoltSpree posted:

I've heard that the rats in the Depths are great for farming humanity, so I gave it a shot. Half an hour later, I now have enough souls to level up, and I haven't gotten a single humanity. First time through the depths I didn't stop to farm, and I got three just by killing random rats. I have three humanity in the counter right now.

Should I just go to Blighttown? Are there any particular drops I should gather humanity for, or does it not really matter?

Are you maxing your drop rate? Because humanity farming doesn't really take off until you have 10 liquid humanity + covetous gold serpent ring or symbol of avarice - neither of which you can get before getting to sens on a NG.

Holding humanity is nice for farming balder side swords and taking less damage, and you also randomly get humanity for killing enemies in an area where the boss isn't dead. There's a nice thing you can do if you're willing to part with 30 humanity with the Chaos Servants too.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Paracelsus posted:

Newest "Thing About Dark Souls I Didn't Know Before": After AL (but before fighting the Centipede Demon), you can stop by the Sunlight Altar and Solaire will be there. You can join the WoS by talking to him instead of the altar, although medal offerings have to be done at the altar. Afterwords he'll talk about how exhilarating the power of the sun is. He seems a bit more manic than usual in his speech while he's there.

I am absolutely and utterly convinced he's Gwyn's firstborn. I think most players are. I really hope there's something for him in Dark Souls 2, although I doubt it. He's such a popular character though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Maybe DS2 will be set in the world where Solaire was the Chosen Undead and linked the fire to become grossly incandescent. :unsmith:

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

If you're trying to save Solaire by casting poison mist through the shortcut door, is there any way to tell if you've gotten the sunlight maggot? I've run up and cast all my mists a few times, and have gotten one or two maggots beyond the door each time, but haven't gotten the headpiece placed in my inventory or anything.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

FallenGod posted:

If you're trying to save Solaire by casting poison mist through the shortcut door, is there any way to tell if you've gotten the sunlight maggot? I've run up and cast all my mists a few times, and have gotten one or two maggots beyond the door each time, but haven't gotten the headpiece placed in my inventory or anything.
The Sunlight Maggot is a drop you have to pick up, not an auto-loot. Hope you've got 14 int for Cast Light!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Wallrod posted:

And then killing those golden sentinel guys each time so i can partake in JOLLY COOPERATION without him getting mobbed down to half health before the boss fight. loving game.
You can banish him with the black crystal after you kill sentinels with his help, then quit and reload and his sign will be back.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Paracelsus posted:

The Sunlight Maggot is a drop you have to pick up, not an auto-loot. Hope you've got 14 int for Cast Light!

Already did ToG with the skull lantern, just wondering if you have any way of telling if you've saved Solaire. I'm killing things through the door but can't tell which things. :(

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

FallenGod posted:

Already did ToG with the skull lantern, just wondering if you have any way of telling if you've saved Solaire. I'm killing things through the door but can't tell which things. :(

I've never done it that way personally, but I recall something to the effect that the Chaos Bug who drops the Sunlight Maggot gives 100 souls whereas the rest give 50.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I am absolutely and utterly convinced he's Gwyn's firstborn. I think most players are. I really hope there's something for him in Dark Souls 2, although I doubt it. He's such a popular character though.

That's rather unlikely. It was confirmed in an interview that Andre was originally meant to be the firstborn, but that was scrapped, and the firstborn is not actually in the game.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Would anyone be interested in helping me with Ornstein and Smough? I'm having a really tough time and I can't find anyone to summon; a Darkwraith who was losing and decided to blow the fire fountain spell multiple times in a row wasted my last humaniy so I have to find some. Any help would be nice though; they really don't seem like a fight intended for solo play.

E: In farming humanity I got some jerk Ornstein's Armour. I'm so jealous of this jerklord.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 12, 2013

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Hurray, just beat Gwyn on my SL1 char. And this was my first game where I unlocked Kaathe, so time to invade the Burg wearing only Sunlight Maggot and drop some titanite for newbies. And possibly kill them.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

FallenGod posted:

Alternatively, just don't talk to him in Anor Londo until you've gone through Lost Izalith and killed the Sunlight Maggot regularly. He'll happily chill by the AL bonfire until you talk to him. No poison mist or chaos covenant required.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Man, Ornsteigh and Smough is a pretty frustrating section of the game for me. Whenever I go human and try to find someone to summon there are no summoning signs and I get invaded 100% of the time. Which would be fine if the invaders didn't have like 2 seconds of lag and phantom back stab me repeatedly. Even in those circumstances I get them to low hp, but you just can't fight something you can't defend against. Mainly phantom backstabs. Are people just not interested in getting summoned for Ornstein and Smough?

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
What soul level are you cause invasions work on a different level range than co-op. If you are too low or high you wont see many, or any, summon signs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
O&S is possibly the single most popular coop spot, there should be multiple summon signs next to the bonfire Solaire sits at. Either you are way out of the expected level range or GFWL is loving with you. What's your level?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Sindai posted:

O&S is possibly the single most popular coop spot, there should be multiple summon signs next to the bonfire Solaire sits at. Either you are way out of the expected level range or GFWL is loving with you. What's your level?

I'm level 41; it takes me quite a long time to even get someone to summon me in. I had like 100k souls but I don't wanna level up out of summoning ranges so I just bought Twinkling Titanite instead. I've been online for ages so it's not my IP list, but I thought 40-ish was moderately high for Londo.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 12, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I was still getting summoned for O&S at level 54, though it could take a while on weeknights. You've got plenty of room.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Sindai posted:

I was getting summoned pretty frequently for O&S at level 54. you've got plenty of room.

Maybe I'll bump myself up to level 45-48 then.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Faffel posted:

Man, Ornsteigh and Smough is a pretty frustrating section of the game for me. Whenever I go human and try to find someone to summon there are no summoning signs and I get invaded 100% of the time. Which would be fine if the invaders didn't have like 2 seconds of lag and phantom back stab me repeatedly. Even in those circumstances I get them to low hp, but you just can't fight something you can't defend against. Mainly phantom backstabs. Are people just not interested in getting summoned for Ornstein and Smough?

What's probably actually happening with those 'phantom backstabs' is that they're running straight past you and pivoting around to your back. This video shows the technique. It's not too hard to prevent that from happening once you know to look for it.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Opposing Farce posted:

What's probably actually happening with those 'phantom backstabs' is that they're running straight past you and pivoting around to your back. This video shows the technique. It's not too hard to prevent that from happening once you know to look for it.

No; it's straight lag. One of the backstabs didn't even register as damage and he wasn't even in range for an autoattack + was in front of me when it happened. A lot of the people I end up fighting in Dark Souls take a good second to even register damage done and hit me well out of striking range. I haven't bothered PvPing intentionally for that reason; I assume it's a side effect of being a west coast player in a game that doesn't care about region or continent.

On another topic, can your IP list become overpopulated? Like if you're logged in for 2+ hours, does your list of connectable IP's just get full of people who have disconnected? Or does it purge itself?

Faffel fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 12, 2013

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I finally got O n' S done, though it was mainly by going off to the painted world and leveling up a bit there. I can roll around at full speed in better protection now, and have more health. I was using Solaire as a summon for the fight and probably mainly made the mistake of not focusing on killing the same person he was fighting, since the surviving boss heals fully anyway. That left him plenty of health to tank for me while i spammed pyromancies and slapped him around with my sword. Killing Lautrec on the return journey was really satisfying, too, even if i cheesed it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The tip for shooting the sorcerer with a bow and then running up the stairs worked so well for my SL10, I was able to beat that portion on my first try. The two buddies got stuck on the stairs and Lautrec ran up to meet me alone, where 2-3 Great Combustions took him out in seconds. I don't consider that cheesing, it is a 3-1 fight after all.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Solaire is useful for O&S for the reason that he distracts on of them. Fighting the same one he does removes this advantage and almost makes it like you are fighting alone.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Fighting O&S solo is the proper way to do it. Get Ornstein away from Smough, roll under his attacks and 2H his health away; when Smough catches up, he'll probably be coming from behind you, wait for him to start his swing and roll to the other side of Ornstein, continue punishment. I was able to actually keep Biggie on the other side of Puff for most of the fight.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Concurred posted:

I've been doing a manmode runthrough (naked except 2H Zweihander and always reverse hollowed) and more often than not, whenever I rest at a bonfire, my character will become stuck at the bonfire in the sitting position. I won't be able to get up, I can't move, or access the menu, or anything. I stopped playing for a week because it became such a pain in the rear end to have to wait 30 seconds for the game to exit and restart.

Has anybody else had any issues with this?
A bit old, but this can occasionally happen on console version, too, so it's not just a dsfix thing. The only solution I've found is a hard reset.

Papercut posted:

The tip for shooting the sorcerer with a bow and then running up the stairs worked so well for my SL10, I was able to beat that portion on my first try. The two buddies got stuck on the stairs and Lautrec ran up to meet me alone, where 2-3 Great Combustions took him out in seconds. I don't consider that cheesing, it is a 3-1 fight after all.
The fun part of that fight is killing off his two phantoms, then killing him. Singling him down one by one is pretty fun.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I decided to face the facts and just restart my character instead of being stuck in Blighttown. I guess i'll have to make do with the Uchigatana for a little while!

I did end up realizing that you could parry with your bare hands, so manmoding is even more badass now. Who the hell needs a shield?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nahxela posted:

The fun part of that fight is killing off his two phantoms, then killing him. Singling him down one by one is pretty fun.

That's what I did on my first 2 playthroughs and it was pretty tense, but for a low-level runthrough I don't feel bad about taking every advantage.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Opposing Farce posted:

Not true, especially if they're lagging or they have any sort of significant poise.

Black Flame is the go-to defense, but if they have poise they can simply tank the hit and backstab you through it. Great Combustion is almost as good, but requires even less poise to tank through.

The second defense is Wrath of God, but that's actually even riskier since it's slower than Black Flame and has less charges.

The issue is, if they get blocked they can simply try until they succeed. Meanwhile, most of these dudes who do it only have to hit you once to kill you.

Really, the actual best defense is to do it to them before they do it to you, but that's really no fun whatsoever.

---

Faffel: The IP list occasionally prunes itself. There's only a limited amount of memory allocated to it. I cannot recall how much.

---

Dorroile: The best thing is parrying with your bare hand... and then raising your fist high into the air and slamming a blue laser through their skull for about 1,000 buffed damage.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 13, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Most of the similarities between Solaire and Gwyn's firstborn are due to the fact that the warriors of sunlight were the firstborn's personal covenant, much like how Gwyndolin gets the DMBs and Gwynevere gets the Princess Guard. That defaults a number of similarities upon Solaire by definition. I could see Solaire being a reincarnation though, if the developers wanted to work that angle in there.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 13, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
What's the optimal level for a dedicated O+S sunbro? I have a sorcerer that's parked at 40 right now, but I'm considering giving him another 5 points of Dex to be able to 2-hand the Channeler's Trident (once I farm one up) instead of using the MBH that I have at the moment. Would 45 be a good place to stop, or should I take him up to 49 to be able to 1-hand it when I'm not dancing?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
45 is fine, you'll catch plenty in the 40-50 range.

Tallgeese posted:

...Five points of DEX?

Two-handing does not raise your dexterity score. You need full dexterity.
I think the implication is that he'd then have enough DEX for it, but not enough STR.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

...Five points of DEX?

Two-handing does not raise your dexterity score. You need full dexterity.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I think 40 is the optimal level, but you'll still get hits at 45. If you're at 49, you might be pushing the upper limit a bit, but I'm not really sure. I don't think it's a big deal if you can't one hand the trident, to be honest. The only important part of it is the two handed R2/RT.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Better idea: Cast Soul Arrow using the trident as a catalyst, sacrificing the R1s. Dress up as a Channeler too.

On a serious note, the sunbro range for 40 is 22-58. The sunbro range for 45 is, ah... 26-64.

I'd go to 45.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 13, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Colon V posted:

I think the implication is that he'd then have enough DEX for it, but not enough STR.
Yeah, I currently have 12 str and 11 dex.

Tallgeese posted:

On a serious note, the sunbro range for 40 is 22-58. The sunbro range for 45 is, ah... 26-64.
How'd you get those numbers? I thought it was 10+10% of the soapstone user's level, which would be 26-54 for 40 and 30/31-59/60 (don't know which way it rounds) for 45.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 13, 2013

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I wouldn't think even 50 is pushing it, the range then is 30-70. How many people really like to do O&S at anything less than 30?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 13, 2013

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

I wouldn't think even 50 is pushing it, the range then is 30-70. How many people really like to do O&S at anything less than 30?

You mean 35-65 but yeah I don't know where people are getting the idea that 50 is too high for that area.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ah hell, I can't recall if the Sunbro range is supposed to be +/- 10 + 15% or 20%...

Either way, Sunbros are supposed to get a bonus, but nobody has bothered narrowing it down definitively. I might do that personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Ah, I suppose that's true. I usually forget that Sunbros have a wider level range, and just think of 10 up, 10 down.

• Locked thread