Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

zVxTeflon posted:

Piece of poo poo Aliens: Colonial Marines whos story makes no goddamn sense is canon but the jury is still out on Prometheus which was amazing? gently caress them.

Prometheus will only be amazing if it is seen as a re-imagining instead of a prequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
I feel a little guilty for having so much fun watching the internet poo poo itself over this game.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Iacen posted:

If it isn't just something he's pulling out of his rear end, it actually makes me sad, as some of the comics weren't all that bad.

As an aside, I always thought the canon/non-canon debate was a bit silly. Whatever you want to be canon, is. Whatever you don't, isn't. All of this is in your own imagination anyway, so why let anyone tell you otherwise?

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
This was linked in the steam thread and i havent seen it posted in this thread. Seems that you might be able to get through this game by just running away from the Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5WwV9YoW_U

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

zVxTeflon posted:

Piece of poo poo Aliens: Colonial Marines whos story makes no goddamn sense is canon but the jury is still out on Prometheus which was amazing? gently caress them.

You are all overreacting about this 'canon' thing. Do you seriously think that if another Alien movie or game is being made which contradicts the events of A:CM that FOX is gonna step in and say "Sorry guys, but you see you can't contradict the story of this lovely videogame, you're gonna have to change the script"? The very fact that this game contradicts the end of Aliens and the beginning of Alien 3 should tell you that "official canon" is completely fluid and whoever holds the rights to the property will give no fucks about it if there is a product being made that they think will make them money. Canon is whatever you want it to be.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Posted twice already, still hilarious.

Scar Trek
Mar 6, 2002

I was here before this cliché crap and I'll be here long after it's cold and raped and dead in the ground.

Palpek posted:

I agree with you on this. Until Colonial Marines released I considered DNF a separate one-time gently caress up where somebody had to release the legendary Duke Nukem Forever and Gearbox was just a studio to do the deed. They took the hit but got a lot of money for it. Now after this Aliens release and seeing how badly they handle their failure PR-wise by outright lying about outsourcing - my thoughts return to DNF and see it in a different light.

Also to put the outsourcing scapegoat to rest, here's what SEGA had to say about it:

So the game WAS developed by Gearbox with just usual help from other studios (I remember Pitchford stating only 20-30% of assets were outsourced) and scapegoating is only based on a single forum post.

If the Reddit post linked earlier is true, then 85% of the singleplayer was TimeGate's doing, but when Gearbox were handed it for 9 months to get it in working shape, they spent more than half that time getting Borderlands 2 finished instead then shoved what they had left of A:CM out the door to release. I think we can safely blame both.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Scar Trek posted:

If the Reddit post linked earlier is true, then 85% of the singleplayer was TimeGate's doing, but when Gearbox were handed it for 9 months to get it in working shape, they spent more than half that time getting Borderlands 2 finished instead then shoved what they had left of A:CM out the door to release. I think we can safely blame both.

I'm going to put more stock in statements made by Pitchford and a SEGA rep than in a Reddit post, personally.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

popewiles posted:

You are all overreacting about this 'canon' thing. Do you seriously think that if another Alien movie or game is being made which contradicts the events of A:CM that FOX is gonna step in and say "Sorry guys, but you see you can't contradict the story of this lovely videogame, you're gonna have to change the script"? The very fact that this game contradicts the end of Aliens and the beginning of Alien 3 should tell you that "official canon" is completely fluid and whoever holds the rights to the property will give no fucks about it if there is a product being made that they think will make them money. Canon is whatever you want it to be.

More importantly, every Alien related movie after Alien 3 has run the series deeper into the ground. If it ever returns, it'll be as a proper remake like what happened to the Batman movies after George Clooney and Arnold buried the series.

fake edit: Wait a second! That's what they did with Prometheus, isn't it? :smith:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dan Didio posted:

I'm going to put more stock in statements made by Pitchford and a SEGA rep than in a Reddit post, personally.
Especially SEGA rep as they had to know exactly where the game is made because of having their hand on the money.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
So with this game a complete letdown, I remember seeing a homemade techdemo of an Alien-type game. The demo features all sorts of groovy dynamic lighting, flares and pulse rifles and looked great.

If anyone else has seen it, it'd be great to get a link to the youtube video of the demo. Hopefully it'll end up on Kickstarter.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Can SEGA sue Gearbox for handing them a wet turd to ship? Like this game seems to be barely functional in a lot aspects from what I'm reading.

EDIT: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1002/aliens--colonial-marines-dlc-and-season-pass-bundle

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 13, 2013

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Bug Hunt DLC? Obvious pun aside, are they really calling the xenomorphs "bugs" in ACM?

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Donnerberg posted:

Bug Hunt DLC? Obvious pun aside, are they really calling the xenomorphs "bugs" in ACM?

It's more than a pun, it's a reference to Aliens.

edit: Actually I don't even see the part where it's a pun.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Donnerberg posted:

"This isn't another bug hunt?" is a quote from Aliens.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

mango sentinel posted:

Can SEGA sue Gearbox for handing them a wet turd to ship? Like this game seems to be barely functional in a lot aspects from what I'm reading.

EDIT: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1002/aliens--colonial-marines-dlc-and-season-pass-bundle

We already knew about this, doesn't make it any less lovely though.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Heti posted:

It's more than a pun, it's a reference to Aliens.

edit: Actually I don't even see the part where it's a pun.

I think he's referring to the fact the game is full of bugs, but that's not a pun.

I just loving love the idea that Gearbox is going "Hey, you guys plopped $60 sight unseen on our garbage game, why not drop another $30 on our garbage DLC that may or may not even exist eventually?"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pretty late to the party on that; I think it's been a month since they announced the Season Pass.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

WastedJoker posted:

Prometheus will only be amazing if it is seen as a re-imagining instead of a prequel.

I doubt it. I think many people see it as a valid entry into the Alien franchise. I didn't really see anything wrong with it.

I don't even know what it is reimaging anyways.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

popewiles posted:

I dont care about continuity or any of that. Of course FOX will pump out a continuous stream of ALIENS poo poo no matter what the script is. They obviously have no quality control whatsoever over their property. Thats pretty evident by the fact that they're canonizing(legitimizing) a lovely game over a Ridley Scott movie and is why we will prob never have a decent game made again.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Haha. Awesome.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

dud root posted:

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

If only it were possible to make that gif the thread title.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Iacen posted:

Someone linked me to this story, because I said that "Everything is canon in Alien". Apparently, it isn't:

If it isn't just something he's pulling out of his rear end, it actually makes me sad, as some of the comics weren't all that bad.
Yeah he's talking out of his rear end.

popewiles posted:

Also, this.

Ryen Deckard posted:

Give it to monolith and let the work their magic on the franchise again.
Unfortunately this will never happen, since Monolith is owned by Warner Bros. It's the same reason we'll never see a re-release of AvP2. :(

Dan Didio posted:

I wonder how SEGA's going to proceed with the IP now, considering it's one of their main tentpoles.
Well we do have the Creative Assembly Alien/Aliens game in the pipeline, but we know very little about that right now. There's also the AvP: Evolution game coming out for Android and iOS (which I happen to be part of the beta for).

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

So, with gearbox essentially Borderlands was pretty good, DNF was awful but only partially their fault, the Borderlands 2 was loving awesome, Then ACM comes out and shits the bed in the worst possible way.

Following this pendulum of quality assures me that so long as their next major release is Borderlands 3 it will be the best game ever made, followed by a title so bad that it will sink 3/4 of the game industry.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Xenomrph posted:

Well we do have the Creative Assembly Alien/Aliens game in the pipeline, but we know very little about that right now. There's also the AvP: Evolution game coming out for Android and iOS (which I happen to be part of the beta for).

I really hope the Creative Assembly one is an RTS, I was pretty fond of Extinction despite how average it was, it was a fairly cool concept.

Spaceman Future! posted:

So, with gearbox essentially Borderlands was pretty good, DNF was awful but only partially their fault, the Borderlands 2 was loving awesome, Then ACM comes out and shits the bed in the worst possible way.

Following this pendulum of quality assures me that so long as their next major release is Borderlands 3 it will be the best game ever made, followed by a title so bad that it will sink 3/4 of the game industry.

I'd say the Borderlands games are only good in the coop sense, they're pretty boring (although functional with merely okay shooting mechanics) in singleplayer and the classes tend to be incredibly unbalanced.
That being said, they're insanely fun in their proper environment and the singleplayer is serviceable while not being all that great.
The issue with this garbage is that it's just fundamentally broken, DN:F was just unfun, childish, and archaic.
Brothers in Arms was a series full of good ideas, but fairly mediocre writing and poor squad AI (in a game that revolved around squad tactics). It wasn't anything comparable to CoD 1 and 2 at the time.
Their track record is generally middling to good, with DN:F and this dud mingling at the bottom of the barrel. Borderlands made their reputation, and it's fairly obvious they can't keep it outside of that series.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 13, 2013

chopbustabrown
Sep 14, 2011

I AM THE HEAT MISER
Welp, seeing as this game has been the biggest let down in my life I guess I'm gonna trade it back to EB Games (ausgoon).

Does anyone know the odds of EB letting me keep my Alien's statue from the collectors edition, but still give me the "7 day satisfaction guarantee" refund if I return the game? Unfortunately I've redeemed the lovely dlc codes from the l/ce of the game, so I guess they're useless now.

I'll probably trade it for Xcom or Doom or Hitman HD or something. Anything.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

JebanyPedal posted:

Brothers in Arms was a series full of good ideas, but fairly mediocre writing and poor squad AI (in a game that revolved around squad tactics). It wasn't anything comparable to CoD 1 and 2 at the time.
Their track record is generally middling to good, with DN:F and this dud mingling at the bottom of the barrel. Borderlands made their reputation, and it's fairly obvious they can't keep it outside of that series.
I dunno, I had a blast with Hell's Highway, and that's seemingly regarded as the "worst" in the series. I've only played that one so far, but I do have the others on Steam and I'm looking forward to giving them a shot at some point.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The only Gearbox game I really enjoyed was Opposing Force for Half-Life. It introduced a completely random new alien race that was never talked about again afterwards but it was still a really cool expansion.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Yeah I've still got fond memories of that, and usually give it a run every few years

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I'm super tempted to play this awful thing via a redbox rental. There's always free rental codes around and I could blow through it in a day or two. I just noticed the console versions have splitscreen, I bet I could convince my boyfriend to play it with me. The question is, is it worth playing in any capacity, even for free?

And just for curiosity's sake, does anyone know which console version is less hosed?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

chopbustabrown posted:

Does anyone know the odds of EB letting me keep my Alien's statue from the collectors edition, but still give me the "7 day satisfaction guarantee" refund if I return the game? Unfortunately I've redeemed the lovely dlc codes from the l/ce of the game, so I guess they're useless now.

Poor. They'll want the statue back in it's box.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ninja fetus posted:

Why do those screens look way way way better than everything I've seen on youtube so far?

Faked up press screens, they talk about it at polygon:
http://www.polygon.com/game/aliens-colonial-marines/3159

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd just like you guys to know the alien walk has become a meme outside of the game's community. We love you guys. :allears:

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Darkrenown posted:

Faked up press screens, they talk about it at polygon:
http://www.polygon.com/game/aliens-colonial-marines/3159
How is this even legal? Look at these screens for example. They look way better than the game itself. This is baiting people.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

:laugh: They actually did it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ninja fetus posted:

How is this even legal? Look at these screens for example. They look way better than the game itself. This is baiting people.
There was an excellent comment on that page:

some dude posted:

Oh god I cannot wait for this freaking game!! This is the one game I've been basically waiting my entire life for and honestly I am not even worried about being disappointed because of Gearbox's drat near perfect track record imo. I have had my special edition pre-ordered since day one.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ninja fetus posted:

This is why I hate previews for games and why games journalism is a joke. That whole article is just a dude fawning over the game saying the aliens are even scarier in the game than the movie. Like the biggest issue with this game is the whole xeno ai/animations and how easy they are to kill.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.

Stare-Out posted:

There was an excellent comment on that page:

I felt very similar, with Gearbox in my mind being the company that developed HL: Opposing Forces, Borderlands, and Brothers in Arms.

What I didn't realize until after this game was released, were just how many duds and mediocre games Gearbox has actually released. They were doing a great job making themselves the "gamers company" up until this release, when the facade dropped.

PonchAxis posted:

This is why I hate previews for games and why games journalism is a joke. That whole article is just a dude fawning over the game saying the aliens are even scarier in the game than the movie. Like the biggest issue with this game is the whole xeno ai/animations and how easy they are to kill.

This can pretty easily be explained by saying "Kotaku" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

PonchAxis posted:

I guess that's what happens when you let a bunch of teen videogame nerds review stuff.

• Locked thread