Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Calling it now: Courtney Love will, somehow, be responsible for Sonia's death.

Considering her affinity for olds pop culture I can see how CourtneycLove might blow her away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Hmm, Matsuda sure is acting strange, what with his reaction to hearing Junko's name and the sandbox memory. :sigh: He's got some relation to Junko and SHSL Despair doesn't he, and that appointment is probably with Junko or some other member of SHSL Despair. After all, his being more concerned about Ryouko's possible relation to Junko than the possiblity of a dead body, along with convincing Ryouko to distrust her notebook, is highly suspicious.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RefinedUndefined posted:

Hmm, Matsuda sure is acting strange, what with his reaction to hearing Junko's name and the sandbox memory. :sigh: He's got some relation to Junko and SHSL Despair doesn't he, and that appointment is probably with Junko or some other member of SHSL Despair. After all, his being more concerned about Ryouko's possible relation to Junko than the possiblity of a dead body, along with convincing Ryouko to distrust her notebook, is highly suspicious.

Well he is charged by the Steering Committee to hunt down the perpetrator of the Worst Most Despairing etc. etc. Incident, I forget if Junko was brought up at the time or not.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

She wasn't, and I imagine that, at the very least, Headmaster Kirigiri was never aware of her involvement with any of the despair stuff if he asked her to stay in the locked-up school to help inspire hope.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Matsuda, what is your damage, sheesh.

DR0 continues to be really strange it seems. And it doesn't really allow for as substantial speculation as DR2 does. As I was reading I was wondering whether there would turn out to be hints that Matsuda would be our mysterious-even-to-Junko corpse-mover. It does sound like he has some substantial connection to the case at least. I wonder who the other student in his care is (maybe Junko?).

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Matsuda, what is your damage, sheesh.
He doesn't believe that she loves him even though she has no memory and tells it to him repeatedly. I can only guess that she said or did something really nasty to him in the past, and he can't trust her feelings because she forgot about it.

Maybe you shouldn't have told him someone else kicked your sandcastle down, Ryouko! Then he'd believe that you love him!

I feel like the trivial answer is that his other patient is Junko, except that he said "that girl has nothing to do with either me or you," as if he was in denial. Considering that Ryouko is amnesiac, I can't imagine convincing her that Junko has nothing to do with anything is important, especially considering she has no idea who Junko is. I imagine that he was convincing himself. So, I would find it kind of weird if his patient was Junko after he said he had nothing to do with her. There is, of course, the possibility that he had to calm Ryouko down somehow and he had to spit words, but it feels too self-directed.

Maybe he's going to see Syo, considering she's the only other relevant mental health patient we know about.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 14, 2013

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Maybe they found the guy who killed all those students? Maybe the Committee wants Matsuda to see if the guy can be controlled or something.

Wait, wasn't there one student who survived(besides the culprit) but was seriously hurt? That is one who probbaly needs some mental help too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Twiddy posted:

He doesn't believe that she loves him even though she has no memory and tells it to him repeatedly. I can only guess that she said or did something really nasty to him in the past, and he can't trust her feelings because she forgot about it.

I was thinking that it's the other way around, that Matsuda did something terrible to Ryouko, and he couldn't forgive himself enough to open up to her.

This is largely because I believe her memory loss is linked to the memory alteration in both of the games, though. Thinking about it now, it could go either way. She might even have forgotten about Matsuda saying he loves her in the past. :smith:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Isn't the obvious answer that Matsuda is the reason she can't remember anything? Working on a sculpture for a month definitely requires a working memory.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

DeathBySpoon posted:

Isn't the obvious answer that Matsuda is the reason she can't remember anything? Working on a sculpture for a month definitely requires a working memory.

How about Ryouko simply didn't have her current condition back then.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I think the patient Matsuda is going to tend is the student who survives the slaughter and is still in coma.

By the way, I expected the culprit for kicking down the sand castle to be Junko before Matsuda's reveal. That would surely induce despair to Ryouko.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The thing that made me smile in this Zero update was Matsuda's reaction to Ryoko mentioning Junko Enoshima's name. Not because he recognizes the name, but because it signifies that despite everything he's done to tamper with Ryoko's mind, his tying her up in bed, his having no idea what happened to lead up to that and knowing Ryoko won't be able to adequately explain herself, etc., he hasn't so much as taken a single peek inside Ryoko Otonashi's Memory Notebook. That shows a lot of respect.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hokuto posted:

The thing that made me smile in this Zero update was Matsuda's reaction to Ryoko mentioning Junko Enoshima's name. Not because he recognizes the name, but because it signifies that despite everything he's done to tamper with Ryoko's mind, his tying her up in bed, his having no idea what happened to lead up to that and knowing Ryoko won't be able to adequately explain herself, etc., he hasn't so much as taken a single peek inside Ryoko Otonashi's Memory Notebook. That shows a lot of respect.

Yeah, that was something that seemed odd to me as well. Not only did he not bother to go through her journal while she was unconscious, but after she woke up and read the entry, he tries to convince her that she made it all up. I would think it would have been far easier to convince her to let him hold on to the journal for a bit to go over it so and find out what she was up to last night, then remove whatever he felt she was better off not knowing and letting her condition take care of the rest.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That sounds more like something the Steering Committee would do if they had any say in it. Matsuda is clearly trying to just let her function normally as much as he reasonably can in the circumstances without dismissing her side the way everybody else does.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
This is starting to get comical.

"We don't know who SHSL despair is", and yet every time Junko's name is mentioned any serious-minded student who overhears becomes terrified.

This leads to one of two possible conclusions: Either Naegi et al were just as batshit insane as Junko when viewed over the course of their high school careers; or the administrators knew it was Junko and locked up Yamada and Chihiro so that she'd have someone to torture and kill during her long imprisonment.

It definitely makes the stated goal of "We want to keep hope alive in the world by building an encyclopedia foundation secreting away their best and brightest in the hopes that it might shorten the ensuing dark age" seem a lot less plausible.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Jeek posted:

I think the patient Matsuda is going to tend is the student who survives the slaughter and is still in coma.

By the way, I expected the culprit for kicking down the sand castle to be Junko before Matsuda's reveal. That would surely induce despair to Ryouko.

When Ryouko revealed that she had kicked down her own sculpture, it sounded a lot like Junko did in the first chapter. Could she have done it to intentionally induce despair? That would explain the smile. Maybe Ryouko used to be a SHSL Despair before her amnesia.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Tender Child Loins posted:

When Ryouko revealed that she had kicked down her own sculpture, it sounded a lot like Junko did in the first chapter. Could she have done it to intentionally induce despair? That would explain the smile. Maybe Ryouko used to be a SHSL Despair before her amnesia.

Sounds more like she did it to get a reaction out of Matsuda, to see how much he cared about her or something. Or maybe she already knew and just wanted to experience his affection. It sounds like something a kid with an insanely good ability to read people and predict their rections would do. I kind of wonder why Ryouko isn't more hosed up personality-wise if she's been good at manipulating people for so long. Power corrupts etc.

NewsSwissArmyKnife
May 28, 2012

Super High School Level Super Soldier
I just realized how little we can trust anything in Zero.

Our main point of view is a Super High School Level Amnesiac whose only source of memories is a notebook - which can be written in by anyone whenever she leaves it alone. How much of Ryouko's narration can we actually trust?

That said, I'm not entirely sure whether a huge revelation about large chunks of the story being falsified would be the best or worst thing.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

NewsSwissArmyKnife posted:

I just realized how little we can trust anything in Zero.

Our main point of view is a Super High School Level Amnesiac whose only source of memories is a notebook - which can be written in by anyone whenever she leaves it alone. How much of Ryouko's narration can we actually trust?

That said, I'm not entirely sure whether a huge revelation about large chunks of the story being falsified would be the best or worst thing.

Now that you mention it, I'm sure this is the reason that Ryouko's parts are told from an immediate first-person point of view. If there were a framing narrative where she was actually narrating it to us, or even if we saw things from a third person view, we'd constantly be doubting what whatever occurred in any of her scenes actually happened. But since her point of view is our point of view, we take her scenes as reliable since it seems as good as if we had direct access to her senses and perceptions in the here-and-now.

(So given that, I doubt she's as potentially unreliable a narrator as you're saying- that kind of requires a framing narrative where the character is actually telling the story to someone.)

Another thing is that if our POV leaves her for any significant amount of time, important things may happen to her in the meanwhile and we may not know it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I do quite like how what she just said to Matsuda (That at this point, she just wants to forget him too) has actually hit him. It broke his facade, cause I was starting to get sick of his aloof behaviour, and that it's at least starting to ease up is nice.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Spike-Chunsoft just announced a %50-off sale for the iOS and Android versions of Dangan Ronpa for the next two weeks. The entire game is now a mere 1000 yen. In addition, there's a new bug-fix version with better camera control.

Getting the game is, as always, a bit of a hassle and involved getting a Japanese iTunes account and buying a gift card on iOS (there's a 1000 yen card, though, which means you don't have to buy extra credit now), or using special software to see Japanese apps at all on Android. And yet, if you want to support the Dangan Ronpa franchise now's the perfect time to do so.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Any word yet on if the sequel's coming to iOS? I started Googling, but seemed like it could actually get into spoiler territory.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

slowbeef posted:

Any word yet on if the sequel's coming to iOS? I started Googling, but seemed like it could actually get into spoiler territory.

Not yet. Don't worry -- I will update the thread whenever that is announced.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
My plain black bag needed a redesign.

Made with rags, textile glue and shaky hands.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

loquacius posted:

Sonia Nevermind Will Have Her Revenge On Hope's Peak Academy

Aw, that would have been a good thread title.

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth

tiistai posted:

This is so awesome!

Also I want to buy Dangan Ronpa for Android, but when I tried playing the first chapter, I couldn't play anything past Space Journey. The screen was all black. Hoping the bug fixes solve this...

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

saihate posted:

Also I want to buy Dangan Ronpa for Android, but when I tried playing the first chapter, I couldn't play anything past Space Journey. The screen was all black. Hoping the bug fixes solve this...
That's strange, I'd ask where you got it from seeing as my version doesn't break like that but that'd probably be :filez:.

I want to buy it too, but I'm too low on scratch right now to get it, I've been using Oren's DR1 Let's Play thread as a kind of guide/translator however. On another thing, the high resolution mode makes the characters' cardboard cut-outs in the world look pretty crisp however their portraits aren't as clean looking.

My best answer to you would be to pick up BlueStacks so you can run Dangan Ronpa Android on your PC, because your phone might not be strong enough to work with it.

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012
I've also never been able to get Danganronpa on Android to work well. It just has no sound, except during movies. Whatever format the sound files are in just isn't recognized, or something. Got it from the Android Market after using MarketEnabler, which requires root. Has anyone else tried and had a similar problem? Using a Galaxy S2.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Should probably take specific "How do I play Dangan Ronpa 1" questions to the Dangan Ronpa 1 thread.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

tiistai posted:

:v: You probably get detained by the TSA if you attempt to go on the plane with that bag because you know DESPAIR!

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth

Lamhirh posted:

I've also never been able to get Danganronpa on Android to work well. It just has no sound, except during movies. Whatever format the sound files are in just isn't recognized, or something. Got it from the Android Market after using MarketEnabler, which requires root. Has anyone else tried and had a similar problem? Using a Galaxy S2.

I'll stop talking about this in this thread, but wanted to let you know I did the exact same thing and I have the same phone.

creepyslime
Oct 11, 2012

tiistai posted:

This look great, I'm a little jealous of your ingenuity to attempt this hehe
Now it just needs pins of all the characters ;)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just thought of something: what if nobody is supposed to get murdered in DR2 and the entire point of the game is to keep people from killing each other?

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I just thought of something: what if nobody is supposed to get murdered in DR2 and the entire point of the game is to keep people from killing each other?

Then the game wouldn't be as entertaining, since we're probably all here for the murders, and I don't just mean who died or who kills.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

I would believe that this is what the crew was initially brought to the island for by Usami and whomever is in control of her.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yes no murders in a murder mystery game :rolleye:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Devil Tesla posted:

They'll never see it coming.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
The last three chapters of the first game had no murders, just two suicides and an attempted murder.

ZiriO
Feb 17, 2013

creepyslime posted:

This look great, I'm a little jealous of your ingenuity to attempt this hehe
Now it just needs pins of all the characters ;)

Pins of all the characters, hmm? Good thing I was already starting with a project like that. I just wish I had a black bag I could turn into a monobag as well, it turned out fantastic Tiistai.

It's too bad that Usami's plan got foiled by Monobear's arrival (although more exciting for us!). It'll be interesting to see who the other party is that's controlling her, as I'm really looking forward to that particular reveal. Then again, I wonder who's got their hands behind Monobear this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

Who says it's a murder mystery and not just a pseudo dating sim, hmmm? :colbert:

• Locked thread