Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Mister Chompers posted:

I haven't read it in many years I remember the X-Men/Teen Titans one being pretty good though.
X-Men/Teen Titans is one of the best crossovers, ever.

You've got Claremont at his prime and Walt Simonson on pencils knocking it out of the goddamn park on every page.

I like how they get around having the two teams meet.

They don't go though a wormhole or spacetime doesn't collapse on its self or whatever. Just "gosh it's weird that we've never met."

Also this is probably in the top 10 splash panels of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

fatherdog posted:

Has any X/X ONE SHOT!!!!1! ever been any good at all? Just out of curiosity.

Planetary/Batman probably counts here.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

thetzar posted:

Planetary/Batman probably counts here.

If only somebody would mention twelve times.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The Superman/Spider-Man ones are pretty good. The second one has my favorite scene in any crossover ever, where Spider-Man and Wonder Woman are separately prowling around Dr. Doom's secret lair, and as soon as they run into each other, Doom comes on the PA system and says something like, "Good work, Spider-Man! Now crush Wonder Woman, and our victory will be assured!" And she completely falls for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The Superman/Spider-Man ones are pretty good. The second one has my favorite scene in any crossover ever, where Spider-Man and Wonder Woman are separately prowling around Dr. Doom's secret lair, and as soon as they run into each other, Doom comes on the PA system and says something like, "Good work, Spider-Man! Now crush Wonder Woman, and our victory will be assured!" And she completely falls for it.

Just when I think I can't like Doom more I learn something that solidifies him further as the best villain ever :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just when I think I can't like Doom more I learn something that solidifies him further as the best villain ever :allears:

He also can give you the best Valentine Day presents.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not read any of the Superman/Spider-Man crossovers. I'm aware, though, that there was one where they tried to pass off Venom as a credible threat to Superman by having him remark, "I've fought hand-to-hand with Juggernaut!" and that kind of thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Hitman/Justice League issues were pretty good.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Isn't one of Superman's established powers being able to yell really loudly?

Like, he could just sonic the symbiote off and call it a day.

Or heat vision it off and call it a day.

Or ice breath it off and call it a day.

Man, Superman is loving stupid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm more concerned by the contention that Venom fought Juggernaut on equal terms. Did this ever actually happen?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Venom fought Juggernaut in Venom: The Madness, but I'm pretty sure he got beat down. The Superman/Venom fight happened in Marvel/DC Access or whatever that was called.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Die Laughing posted:

Venom fought Juggernaut in Venom: The Madness, but I'm pretty sure he got beat down. The Superman/Venom fight happened in Marvel/DC Access or whatever that was called.

I remember that and like all his miniseries, it was so fucken awful in the 90

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Len posted:

The Hitman/Justice League issues were pretty good.

That doesn't really count as they existed in the same universe.

But if we're going down that road, nothing will ever top the Hitman/Lobo one shot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Let me guess, the entire issue is just the really strong superpowered guy being beaten up and made a fool of by a tough Irishman and his mates.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Lurdiak posted:

Let me guess, the entire issue is just the really strong superpowered guy being beaten up and made a fool of by a tough Irishman and his mates.

GarthEnnis.txt?

VVV That does make Lobo one of barely a handful of people who've survived the Dog Wielder though. That's a mark of respect, right? VVV

KayTee fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 15, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

It was really Ennis making a show of how much he hated Lobo. Which is correct, everyone should hate Lobo.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Lurdiak posted:

Also, Section Eight gets to screw with Lobo. They're like K-lister superheroes, one might say.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

graybook posted:

Also, Section Eight gets to screw with Lobo. They're like K-lister superheroes, one might say.

Well, one of them does anyways.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Rhyno posted:

Well, one of them does anyways.

Don't know the issue, sorry - but it was posted earlier in the thread somewhere...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

It was really Ennis making a show of how much he hated Lobo. Which is correct, everyone should hate Lobo.

Lobo's already a walking parody, pantsing him is redundant (and stupid). Plus, I've already read Ennis making GBS threads on a cartoonish Wolverine.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's horrifying but Dog Welder is fantastic and that he survived an encounter with Lobo speaks volumes.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Gatts posted:

It's horrifying but Dog Welder is fantastic and that he survived an encounter with Lobo speaks volumes.

Other way around, dude.

Lobo survived Dog Welder.:colbert: DW must have had a rare flash of mercy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KayTee posted:

Don't know the issue, sorry - but it was posted earlier in the thread somewhere...

That is from the JLA Hitman 2-part series.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Unless people are actually posting images to contribute nobody cares what you do or don't find funny.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

That's actually a fairly great moment and entirely something the Joker would pull. Dude has standards. Insane, constantly changing standards, but he has them.

He really does:

From Arkham Asylum: Living Hell

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
More fun in Avengers Assemble #12: Hawkeye and Spider-Woman are having a debate about whether people still write checks in 2013.

In case you didn't get Spider-Woman's joke/reference in panel 3, Clint Barton is a child

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Daredevil #64

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

TwoPair posted:

More fun in Avengers Assemble #12: Hawkeye and Spider-Woman are having a debate about whether people still write checks in 2013.

In case you didn't get Spider-Woman's joke/reference in panel 3, Clint Barton is a child

Boner dollars are hilarious and anyone who thinks otherwise can go to hell.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I really can't get used to seeing modern costume Hawkeye in anything other than Hawkguy. It just doesn't look like the same character at all.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

fatherdog posted:

The only reason that plays as a great moment is it's an actual moment involving Meyer Lansky and Lucky Luciano. Byrne stapled it in with Joker as a stand-in, and it didn't work nearly as well because Joker is a lovely stand-in for Jewish/Sicilian mobsters. The only standards Joker has is whether something is funny, and that is absolutely not how Byrne played it.

Yeah, I'd say the Spider-Man/Batman crossover does that better. Joker and Carnage work together for a little while, but Joker quickly gets fed up at Carnage's utter lack of imagination and style.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This is my favorite part of that crossover.

EDIT:

Spidey just wants to team up with Superman.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 16, 2013

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm more concerned by the contention that Venom fought Juggernaut on equal terms. Did this ever actually happen?

Three-issue arc by Ann Nocenti. First round, it's even until Venom gets distracted by something. Juggernaut curbstomps him to the point that Venom would have died from the injuries had it not been for a plot device. Second round, Venom is empowered/infected by this virus that makes him super-strong at the expense of making him even freakier-looking and more insane (the idea being to do Venom's own version of the Spider-Man black costume storyline). Venom wins this round. Then round three has Venom back to normal. They brawl until Juggernaut cuts out because he's not paid enough to put up with this. Venom wants to give chase, but his girlfriend convinces him not to.

For content, here's something amazing from Incredible Hulk vs. Venom by Peter David.

This is almost exactly how I reacted when I first read that page.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

TwoPair posted:

Furthermore, Kelly Sue DeConnick's husband is guilty of such an act.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I didn't knew DeConnick was married to Fraction. Seeing them put their in-jokes in the comics is really cute.

Source is... Well, whatever comic this is a cover for :stare:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I'm scared to ask but... what happens when you flip this book?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Apparently this:

http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=124734

EDIT: Comedy answer:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So... a yogurt-based bounty hunter?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

TwoPair posted:

Dollar bills aren't paper. They are a blend that is 75% cotton, and 25% linen. :eng101:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

So... a yogurt-based bounty hunter?

Who teams up with a statue and Det Lenny Brisco. I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

smashpro1 posted:

Dollar bills aren't paper. They are a blend that is 75% cotton, and 25% linen. :eng101:

What do you think paper is made of?

• Locked thread