Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

madpanda posted:

That would be quite a cabinet. Just incase you weren't aware any MVS board with more than 1 slots is not jamma compatible. You can get an adapter from jammaboards or somewhere else. Or just wire one up yourself.

That's good to know actually, since I was unaware they were non JAMMA. There's a cable guy on Arcade Controls that could probably wire me up a cable and ship it from the UK for less than the time / cost / effort combined of me trying to gently caress with one and most likely screwing it up and frying something. Also if a multi-slot JAMMA appears, I'd love to test it to see if it can accept a single slot MVS as well as multiple boards, just for fun.

madpanda posted:

Stopped by half price books because they are running a 20% coupon. Only picked up NES pacman for $5.

They had legend of zelda in a locked case for $25 :psyduck:

Looks like someone's been checking ebay / craigslist for pricing guides and decided 'Hey, this must be what they always go for!'.

New page? Here - have something ridiculously priced for what you get. That thing is ugly as sin and sticks out like a baboons arse. They also do AFL football teams too! Wonder if they've asked for use of the logos. What's my team? More like what's my lawyers number? :v:

H1KE fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

That's really weird, am I the only one who got theirs? I ordered mine with a usb port, not sure if that made a difference.

I ordered one with a usb port when they were back ordered on the 7th and it shipped on the 14th.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Yalborap posted:

Question for you fine folks, particularly those who know about handheld stuff and the things sprouting from that:

When it comes to playing Gameboy games on the telly, obviously there's the Super Gameboy, and the GC Gameboy Player. But are there any clones and the like that'd do this? Just a nice, sleek little dedicated box that'd take a Gameboy(/Advance) cart and a controller, so I wouldn't need to use a Gamecube controller or one of those weird hard to find ones for anything GBC and up?

Also, if the Gameboy Player is my only option, does it do progressive scan? Tragically, all I have access to is an HDTV with standard-def input lag, without the space to do anything more effective.

There is the K1 GBA and the K101, both are gba clones and have TV output. You're not going to get controller support though.

It's interesting you mention that, because the only reason why I'm keeping a gamecube around, is for the GB Player. I'd rather have a wii in its place, as it's more versatile than just a gamecube. If I could somehow have a small box that plugs into the TV and does exactly what you said, that'd be perfect.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

32x is a pile of rear end. Enjoy :retrogames:

Do not bother trying to justify the purchase of one, it is worthless. I'm just glad I realized it when the system was tits-up and I got one from KayBee toys for $30. My friend got a virtual boy for $30 as well and we realized right then and there, these systems were poo poo and there was a very, very good reason why they were being sold for $30 and it wasn't to enjoy video games.

I got all 3 of my 32x systems complete in box for $2 each at a South Jersey Goodwill once (boxes were beat to poo poo and I got rid of them, but everything was still plastic bagged and wrapped inside). To this day I still feel ripped off at that price.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I just got my Mega Everdrive today from ithic.com (thanks flyboi!) and the price was awesome and the shell is awesome. Anyway, I just got to trying the 32x port of MK2. Uh...what is the big to do about this port? It's supposed to be arcade-perfect but I could swear it looks like it has no more than 256 colors on the screen at once (while I know drat well the 32x is supposed to be at SNES levels). I also tried Kolibri and there's so much dithering everywhere. Not trying to knock Kolibi but I have to question if this tumor that sits upon my Genesis is even worth it physically being there seeing as the only games I am interested in on it are "definitive home versions" of games like MK2 and Blackthorne; but I am having a real hard time seeing them being in any way improved from the SNES versions; and actually I could swear the SNES ports look way less dithered/more colorful? Is it just me?

In 32x games, some parts of the screen will still be rendered by the Genesis itself, falling subject to the Genesis' 64 color onscreen limit*; while the normal 32X rendering will be 256 colors on screen simultaneous max. There are other 32x graphics modes with higher color than 256 even, but they mean only rendering to a smaller portion of the screen, mainly seen in the 32x CD remastered FMV titles.

The SNES meantime can pretty much always show 256 colors onscreen and sometimes can push even more. Some game companies chose to program in lower color modes on the SNES for various reasons of course.

*There are a few tricks to bump up onscreen colors to as high as 120 for Genesis

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Really if you can get the 32X for cheap, it's honestly just worth getting for Kolibri.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quARhowhVbE

It's a really good side scrolling shooter with probably some of the best graphics of the era. Music is pretty good too, then again the game is mostly :catdrugs:

If you have the highest possible video setting, the game looks like the most amazing thing ever. The background scenery is incredibly detailed.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 16, 2013

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Oh hey who bought Perfect Dark and Super Mario 64 from me? I found the boxes, I'll ship them out to you if you want.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I bought your SM64 but go ahead and keep the box. My 64 collection is loose and I don't have the room for the boxes, plus I don't really want to deal with the flimsy cardboard ones anyway (anything that comes in cardboard like that I just get loose).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WendigoJohnson posted:

Really if you can get the 32X for cheap, it's honestly just worth getting for Kolibri.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quARhowhVbE

It's a really good side scrolling shooter with probably some of the best graphics of the era. Music is pretty good too, then again the game is mostly :catdrugs:

If you have the highest possible video setting, the game looks like the most amazing thing ever. The background scenery is incredibly detailed.

Ah I hate to be a douche and poo poo on a game you love but even using your link:

http://youtu.be/quARhowhVbE?t=1m23s

look at how terrible the dithering is in the background. I know it's spergin but come on, it looks worse than a launch SNES game. The game seriously looks beautiful but like they converted it to 256 color GIF and here we are.

I think I am going to get rid of the 32x as great as the novelty is because 1) it forces me to take up two slots on my now-full SCART switch (due to the 32x not allowing me to play Master System games and I need the model 1 scart plugged in at all times now) and 2) it just looks like crap on the gorgeous model 1...it just makes the model 1 look so much less cool.

Install Gentoo posted:

I got all 3 of my 32x systems complete in box for $2 each at a South Jersey Goodwill once (boxes were beat to poo poo and I got rid of them, but everything was still plastic bagged and wrapped inside). To this day I still feel ripped off at that price.

In 32x games, some parts of the screen will still be rendered by the Genesis itself, falling subject to the Genesis' 64 color onscreen limit*; while the normal 32X rendering will be 256 colors on screen simultaneous max. There are other 32x graphics modes with higher color than 256 even, but they mean only rendering to a smaller portion of the screen, mainly seen in the 32x CD remastered FMV titles.

The SNES meantime can pretty much always show 256 colors onscreen and sometimes can push even more. Some game companies chose to program in lower color modes on the SNES for various reasons of course.

*There are a few tricks to bump up onscreen colors to as high as 120 for Genesis

This was insanely informative. Holy hell am I glad you decided to start posting here.

dark1x posted:

You're wrong on both accounts, I'm afraid.

1) The display lag they are referencing refers to the latency between an input being fed to the display and the amount of time it takes for it to actually be be displayed on screen. This is an issue with *ALL* HDTV displays as a result of the processing circuitry necessary to display the image.

2) "Image ghosting", as you call it, actually does affect plasmas as well. The reasoning is different, however. With plasmas, you're actually seeing phosphor lag. Basically, the different chemical elements used to make up each color in a phosphor update at slightly different rates as a result of the chemicals used. The blue phosphor is the fastest, the red follows, and the green is the slowest. So, as they fire, the green will always be trailing leaving the impression of "yellow" or "green" trails on screen. Only those with a high sensitivity to display motion fluidity will notice this, however, so the typical uninformed consumer won't be bothered by it. It was painfully obvious to me the very first time I used a plasma, however. It still produces smoother motion than any LCD on the market, but it's not flawless.

CRTs actually suffer from similar issues but the effect is still more pleasing to the eye, I've found.

So, basically, plasmas suffer from both phosphor and input lag. Input lag will vary based upon the quality of the circuitry used in the display while phosphor lag is always present. Again, though, only sensitive eyes will typically notice this. I'm almost envious of those who don't see it, to be honest.

Oh, and of course, I use a plasma as my primary display.

I am actually aware of phosphor lag on plasma screens but I kind of think it's splitting hairs because as bad as my eyespergers is, I only ever noticed it in one game ever: Mad World for the Wii (because the game is black and white and also fast-moving horizontally).

Random Stranger posted:

I was sitting around waiting for some video to render and I decided to play a bit of Super Mario Brothers. I decided, I'd just play straight through without warping until the video was done and on 2-1 I encountered a new glitch that I've never seen before. Near the beginning there's two turtles in a pit. Somehow I jumped on both of them and hit the invisible coin brick at the same time and things went crazy.

Sorry for the crappy picture, it's off my 3DS.

I've played this game for over 25 years and have never seen this...

Edit: I unpaused it and continued playing and there's more graphics glitches. The "0" vines keep showing up, the fire flower is a set of flickering lines, bloopers are a tiny patch of random pixels...

That's pretty cool! Keep playing and report back with any other crazy stuff that happens. The 3DS does save states so this should be easy! :)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

PopeCrunch posted:

Oh hey who bought Perfect Dark and Super Mario 64 from me? I found the boxes, I'll ship them out to you if you want.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I bought your SM64 but go ahead and keep the box. My 64 collection is loose and I don't have the room for the boxes, plus I don't really want to deal with the flimsy cardboard ones anyway (anything that comes in cardboard like that I just get loose).

If you still want to get rid of it I'll take it :) :) :) :)

Famous Blimp Pilot
Feb 19, 2005

More like por qué pine.
Nevermind, I sorted it out.

Famous Blimp Pilot fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 17, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So it turns out my neighbor has been taking my mail. He said that by getting too many packages, I'm hurting the enviroment. He was probably going to sell it for drugs or something but his mom made him give everything back.

So yeah finally got a copy of Earthbound

The ammount of graphical changes between Mother 2 and EB seemed rather signifigant. So much so if/when they eventually re-release it, someone is going to try to justify the 100+ pricetag for any sprite changes and I'm gonna go NAH-UH, Mother 2 was the original unaltered version. Earthbound changed those guys to not look like the blues brothers and those pencil monuments were originally octopi. :colbert:

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 17, 2013

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

So it turns out my neighbor has been taking my mail. He said that by getting too many packages, I'm hurting the enviroment. He was probably going to sell it for drugs or something but his mom made him give everything back.

The hell? You've got to be kidding.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

JJJJJS posted:

The hell? You've got to be kidding.

I live in a condo, the mailboxes are very very small. They can't fit large boxes.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

WendigoJohnson posted:

What :psyduck:

That's a pretty serious crime, isn't it? Tampering with mail like that?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WendigoJohnson posted:

What the gently caress. Dob that dumb piece of poo poo into the police.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Everyone send WendigoJohnson packages to infuriate his neighbor! Individually packaged cartridges!

Preferably Shaq-Fu, but maybe I'm just biased.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

kirbysuperstar posted:

What the gently caress. Dob that dumb piece of poo poo into the police.
The guy above me who is a big gun and knife guy already has. He was standing vigil in the main lobby with his two dogs from late last night to early this morning because he was missing delivered stuff too.

I can only assume what he was missing. :ohdear:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WendigoJohnson posted:

I can only assume what he was missing. :ohdear:

Plush toys, obviously.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

H1KE posted:

Looks like someone's been checking ebay / craigslist for pricing guides and decided 'Hey, this must be what they always go for!'.

New page? Here - have something ridiculously priced for what you get. That thing is ugly as sin and sticks out like a baboons arse. They also do AFL football teams too! Wonder if they've asked for use of the logos. What's my team? More like what's my lawyers number? :v:

:eng101: Half Price Books bases their prices off of Amazon's listings, and I've managed to get them to mark down a few PS3 games after looking them up on Amazon and finding out they've dropped in price.

Then again, a couple of years ago they had The Man Show season 3 of all things in the locked case for $100, because there was just one listing on Amazon for some ridiculous price. About a month later I saw it on the shelf, unsold, for like $10 :v:

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I'd really like a 32X just to try some of the games out again, but it does seem like the kinda thing that's not worth it, especially considering how much they sell for now.

It's kind of a life support cabling situation as it is getting proper audio output out of my Model 1 and Model 2 CD. Adding the 32x and it's cabling to the mix just seems like it's not worth it for the games you get to play. Taking it off every time I want to play master system games seems ridiculously annoying too.
It really does look pretty ugly on the model 1, as well, though I remember having one on my Model 2 as a kid and it looking pretty sweet, aside from the cabling mess. Maybe I'll just look for a model 2 with a 32x to get my fix and leave my model 1 in peace.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ohnoitschris posted:

:eng101: Half Price Books bases their prices off of Amazon's listings

I have been wondering where they got their prices from for so long.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Turns out that my xrgb mini is terrible at displaying component video. I get all sorts of green dot artifacts all over the screen. I get a minimal amount of artifacting with the GC component, and I get a ton of it with my cable box plugged in via component. Component in is the only mode that this shows up on the xrgb. I switched the Gamecube over to Svideo, and the artifacting disappeared.

Honestly, I'm thinking about ditching both of my GC component cables, and just going Svideo. Progressive mode is nice and all, but not if I'm going to have these random green dots all over the place.

I didn't notice the artifacting at first, but I was up close to my screen recently, and now I notice them all the time. Ugh.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ohnoitschris posted:

:eng101: Half Price Books bases their prices off of Amazon's listings, and I've managed to get them to mark down a few PS3 games after looking them up on Amazon and finding out they've dropped in price.

Then again, a couple of years ago they had The Man Show season 3 of all things in the locked case for $100, because there was just one listing on Amazon for some ridiculous price. About a month later I saw it on the shelf, unsold, for like $10 :v:
Half price books sells video games?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cicero posted:

Half price books sells video games?

Mine near me usually has a pile of sports SNES/N64 games, and occasionally something that's more interesting that I already have. :smith:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I got my Twin fami, but it hasn't booted a single cart game yet. Opening it up reveals nothing wrong so hopefully the cart slot just needs to be cleaned. Also it looks like someone already went through the trouble of getting rid of the old belt (And losing half the screws in the system).

Pics when I get it working.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

HKR posted:

I got my Twin fami, but it hasn't booted a single cart game yet. Opening it up reveals nothing wrong so hopefully the cart slot just needs to be cleaned. Also it looks like someone already went through the trouble of getting rid of the old belt (And losing half the screws in the system).

Pics when I get it working.

If you're in irc I can try to provide some pointers and help repairing. I would say first make sure the psu is right - 7.5v negative pin center. I'm sampson in the channel.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WendigoJohnson posted:

The ammount of graphical changes between Mother 2 and EB seemed rather signifigant. So much so if/when they eventually re-release it, someone is going to try to justify the 100+ pricetag for any sprite changes and I'm gonna go NAH-UH, Mother 2 was the original unaltered version. Earthbound changed those guys to not look like the blues brothers and those pencil monuments were originally octopi. :colbert:

I am surprised no one has hacked the Japanese sprites back into the USA game. Seems like an easy hack for a game with such a rabid fanbase.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
One of the major problems with an EarthBound re-release is all the copyright issues though, isn't it? So if anything even more stuff is going to be changed.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

So far the Twin fami repair isn't going so hot. Here's what I got:

-The system powers on. When I switch to disk mode, the animation plays.

-There was an audio ground loop that I traced back to the 2p controller. I removed the mic to fix the problem.

-Carts refuse to load. I have tried cleaning the slot and the carts with zero luck. The best I've gotten is a FF2 bare board that displays solid black instead of grey, and sometimes graphical glitches.

-The mainboard is super clean and the caps look fine, no obvious bulging.

Here's an image:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Timett posted:

One of the major problems with an EarthBound re-release is all the copyright issues though, isn't it? So if anything even more stuff is going to be changed.

The major problem is that even though it wouldn't cost that much to make needed changes, Nintendo of America doesn't think the amount they'd make off it would be worth their time and money to do.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Has anyone ordered from Ithic before? I was going to get a Mega Everdrive from them because $130 shipped with a shell is not bad at all.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I'm having issues with my copy of SFC Final Fight 2. The screen keeps going black a few minutes into gameplay. Now I cleaned both the console and the connectors to the game, the game genie, and the system slot itself. Any ideas what could be causing it? The only thing I can think of is that I maybe didn't shave enough of the plastic off the game genie cart, because it doesn't seem like Final Fight 2 is using a special chip.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

absolutely anything posted:

If you still want to get rid of it I'll take it :) :) :) :)

Sure thing, email me your address and I'll mail it to you. popecrunch@gmail.com

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Window shopping on Rakuten (I don't need to actually buy anything right now, but it's fun to play pretend!) when all of a sudden:

:retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/surugaya-a-too/item/5502436-1/
:retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it the browser I'm on or the page content itself showing that as "5 Super Nintendo software supermarket Bonn Burman gold card ridges" :pwn:???

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Orange Mage posted:

Is it the browser I'm on or the page content itself showing that as "5 Super Nintendo software supermarket Bonn Burman gold card ridges" :pwn:???

It's Rakuten using Google's translation engine for their English version pages.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
My favorite Rakuten name translation for a retro game: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/surugaya-a-too/item/181880-1/

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I've cleaned all the connector points to the game genie again, Super Nintendo, and Final Fight 2. Still nothing, the game bugs out upon loading, displays the word "Capcom" then proceeds to crash and have error artifacts on the screen. I even shaved the nubs down further on the Game Genie. Sometimes I can get the game to play for a few minutes before the character models start to glitch out and then the screen goes black. Testing the other carts, they seem to work fine and nothing seems to be bugging out.

Any idea whats causing this?

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 17, 2013

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
You fuckers, I got an account at rakuten and already have 40 dollars (20 games) worth of famicom games in my shopping cart :argh: I dont NEED a copy of Hyper Olympic, but for 50 cents I can't NOT have it :retrogames:

Speaking of translations, this is my favorite: (the game is called super arabian)
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/surugaya-a-too/item/176464-1/

I'm liking rakuten, but boy, their prices are all over the place, a copy of pac land for 2 bucks and a copy for 5 bucks.

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I've cleaned all the connector points to the game genie again, Super Nintendo, and Final Fight 2. Still nothing, the game bugs out upon loading, displays the word "Capcom" then proceeds to crash and have error artifacts on the screen. I even shaved the nubs down further on the Game Genie. Sometimes I can get the game to play for a few minutes before the character models start to glitch out and then the screen goes black. Testing the other carts, they seem to work fine and nothing seems to be bugging out.

Any idea whats causing this?

I can't say for certain, but this page mentions Final Fight 2 being region-protected; though it doesn't say if it's due to a software restriction or just the obvious matter of the physical cart not fitting in a normal, tabbed SNES.

Wikipedia says the SNES does have a region lockout chip in it, though the US and Japanese consoles use the same one. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say maybe the Game Genie is interfering somehow?

• Locked thread