Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "One of us can leg it while the other holds the fat poncey at bay. You wanna go t-- eh, who am I kiddin'? Get outta here."

Lefty hands over the bag of goods and gives Olimar a push down the hallway leading south. Well, if his center of gravity were a foot higher and his weight about 100 pounds less, it'd be a push south. As it is it's more a gesture of intent.

Once Olimar is down the hall a bit, Lefty starts his fast-talkin' again. Man, I should have specced a social-type Rogue.

: "Sir Trinkley! What's going on?! The whole fort is in lockdown, Miss Flora is missing, and now you've got a pack of dogs! Where are the lads, sir?!"

I hope a Bluff Check to keep him occupied is unnecessary, since I got a rather lackluster 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Figuero Yhong

Though not very well versed in the arcane, Figuero takes a moment to reach out in his magical senses to discern the purpose of these spells.(Spellcraft 1d20+2)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Gods be good, Bonne! You know that setting fire on Carbon's manor is a spiteful and childish thing to do..." Hecate gives a dramatic pause as she approaches the Djinn, a devious smile forming on her face as she lifts her cloak up, obscuring the top of her face. "And it would provide us with a great distraction to get his toadies out of the front door. So, if you please?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Figuero, Spellcraft: You can't understand anything about the magical energy. Just that it is there.

Lefty, Bluff: All of the dogs whip around as you get Trinkley's attention and start growling at you. Trinkley looks confused and rubs the back of his head. "Calm down, calm down boys. This private's one of ours." One of the dogs barks! "Now, see here lad, you're lucky. A round of something went through the barracks and most of us are out cold somehow! We'll get them up soon enough when Sir Jamesson gets back down here, but for now we've got everything locked down!" He blows the whistle and the dogs stop giving Lefty stink-eyes and pay attention to Trinkley, wagging and panting.

"I can take care of my end. You'll want to go mind the front gate or help the Colonel search the manor. Don't fret about things down here, we've used the old Dwarven lock-down." He grins and winks. "Just like in the old days with the dead, you know. Thrilling stuff, glad it's just robbers we're after. We've got four men still awake, thank the Gods."

Sure enough, if Olimar tries to head for the sewers the hall is sealed shut without even the decency to have accessible keyholes or anything. It's just a solid mass of new wall.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Figuero Yhong
Finishing his examination of the rooms below, and treading very cautiously around what could be potentially hostile magic, Figuero returns the way he came up and into the empty vault. Hearing the conversation of his companions, he turns briskly and walks into the room, he comes up behind Thor and Hecate to motion for them to listen close.
"I may have found something of arcane interest, if you would follow me..."

Upon first making eye contact with Oreom, Figuero nods his head to him, beckoning him to follow as well.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 17, 2013

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

P'ui winces, glancing at the railways in irritation, her tail flicking back and forth in agitation. "Y...Yes. It is like the Masters, but not. Not strong enough. If they still lived, This One would know. What lurks in the darrrr-" She winces, gritting her teeth and letting out an anxious squeak. "The voice is pulling Her, little Ape. What is down that railway?"

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oreom Bonne

"I knew y' had some li'l shred of redeemin' quality in theres somewhere," Oreom enthused toward Hecate, spinning right back on his heel to finish his prior course of action. Which is to say, taking the one and only thing that Jaquelyn seemed to have of worth other than her good looks. He reached down to snag her mace by the handle, pulling the flaming thing from her loose fingers and then snapping his other hand up to attention to actually balance the drat heavy thing with. Too bulky for his usual taste, but .. it might pawn well, for the trouble that his lady of the evening put him through. And besides, it was exactly what he needed right now, idly twisting it around before he shouldered it and made to wander out of the room. There's not a lot flammable down here, but that doesn't stop Oreom from igniting every cobweb and especially thick pile of dust that he can find for the simple pleasure of making sparks and smoke, heading in the direction of the hallway while keeping an eye out for any especially dry looking wooden supports amongst all the stone.

"IS IT FLAMMABLE?" Oreom snapped at Figuero, stopping short with a huff, irritated by just how little kindling there was around now that he'd decided on a course of action.

Nikumatic fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 18, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Vanessa pulls back, confused, blinking at James.
"Oh... do you mean that Jaquelyn girl? She's been sparring with one of the lady's bodyguards. Otherwise, I don't believe so, no."

She glances at the north stairs. Would probably mess up whatever that halfling and dwarf have managed to work out. So... hmm, south stairs?
Er... no. Actually, she'll just stay right here. She smiles at Cyrus.
"I don't think I caught your name, though, sir...?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

P'ui: "There are things down there... fresher things." She looks over at the visible insect humanoid exoskeleton. "They're n-not really alive." The mental sensation steadies and the pressure stops rising. Now it is consistent, like a very weak heart-beat. It reminds you of the Masters.

Oreom: Wooden supports? In the Dwarven Stonework? No sale. The only wood used in construction would be poking your head up into the Manor itself, but that will put a walking smoke-stack like you in line of sight of the front door guards.

Vanessa: Cyrus begins to speak but James cuts him off. "Right, sparring. Where at?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Vanessa looks back, slightly confused.
"Er... the barracks, I believe? That's what they called it. Over that way."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl Whose Laughter Stinks of Killing

A dangerous gleam enters Thorgeisl's eyes at Carbon's comment, but luckily the man walks away in a huff before anything could happen. He follows Hecate in her own, perhaps feigned, huff. He does his best to keep to his role, but it is truly beginning to chafe. Once he hears Oreom's suggestion he cannot help a wolfish grin that breaks open his angry face. The two large men may be of one mind here, and again Thorgeisl chafes at his role. While he played the part of the dutiful if stupid guard Oreom had all the fun.

Still if they could cause a little mayhem on their way out it may have been worth it. Once there are none of Carbon's men around, and conscious, all pretense of stupidity and servile-ness disappear.

He speaks Figuero, "lead the way. We will look into this thing." Glancing toward Oreom he gives another evil grin, his own eyes and teeth sparking flames briefly, "with any luck we will find something truly flammable to vent our frustrations on?"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Figuero Yhong
Figuero leads the way to the empty vault, waiting until all who followed him were grouped together in the corner, before the silence can be interupted, he flips the switch he found earlier, and walks down into the dim torchlight of the basement. Walking deeper into the complex he stops before the sewer entrance and motions with his hand "can you sense it? the delicate fabric of some sort of enchantment beyond"

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 18, 2013

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl follows Figuero, taking the chance to use his own magical ability to sense other magics as he does so. Nearing the point of magic Figuero found Thorgeisl begins to reach out with his senses, trying to learn anything he can.

Casting Detect Magic at an opportune time, keeping it up much like Hecate.
When he gets within range of the magic that Figuero found he uses Spellcraft 29

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Vanessa: James thanks you and departs. Cyrus produces a wand and taps it a few times against the edge of his pipe, a simple wooden stick with a dapper ruby on the end held in a copper frame. The ruby hums and glows softly and then he flicks it and casts a quick sheen of ruby-red light over you. He hums. "Cyrus Wry at your service, miss. Are those magical weapons? Just set th' offendin' piece aside and I'll clear ya fer as innocent in our little witch hunt." He scans the adjacent guards with the Wand as well.

Lefty: Zounds. That James fellow you sought out earlier has come down into the barracks and comes over from behind to greet you and Trinkley. James fights back an eye-roll. "Trinkley, Cadet, I was hoping somebody had seen my sister about. Maybe sparring down here?"

Trinkley shakes his head. "Nah son, the only space they have to swing weapons about are on the yards or by the old vault." James gives in and rolls his eyes and mutters something about a stupid woman.

Hecate, Thorgeisl, Oreom, Figuero: You descend deeper into the fort and pass by the Prison and Torture Room and the Plant Room and Engineering Bay, passing over to the Northern Door.

Thorgeisel, Spellcraft: There's a few distinct auras of magical energy in the next room. One is a simple Light spell that has been cast, presumably by somebody that needs to be able to see. The others are simply remnants of dim auras that are too far gone to decipher and only pop up from your Detect Magic, but one stands out as actively cast. Something in the next room is projecting a malicious field of psionic energy. In fact, you should be be close enough to be affected by it. But nothing is happening at all. You feel a building desire to open the door.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Arcane interest? That is something that intrigues me as well. Let us leave the burning for later, then. I know you guys are obviously yearning for some fire-starting, but this kind of hilarious arson should be our last option, no?" Hecate grins and crosses her arms while following Figuero and Thorgeisl, her eyes still noticing the small particles of magic in the air. "Hopefully you found something interesting considering your long absence, Yhong." She quips while trying to notice something amiss on the sewer entrance. "And why in the nine hells would you enchant the sewers..."

14+4=18 Not a roll as ridiculous as Thorgeisl's but it might work!

EDIT:( D'oh that's what i get for not updating while posting.)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Vanessa frowns.
"Oh? No, I don't have any enchanted items, just good Draunt steel. There must be..."
She trails off, looking distraught.
"Eheh. Oh my, this is embarrassing. Er, Mr. Wry, perhaps I could explain in private?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl growls, sparks flinging from his eyes, even as he opens the door. "Some malicious field of psionic energy, it should be affecting me. Yet I feel nothing."

Perhaps the malicious psionic energy is why he attempts to open the door, releasing a blast of acidic energy upon any handle he finds if the door resists opening, or perhaps it is something else. Perhaps he is just curious about what is behind the door.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar sees the newly closed door and moves to the statues, he activates the secret door and begins scanning the room with his practiced eye, searching for tracks or some form of direction. (Gonna take ten, being a deep delver[with trait] and a ranger gives me +11 while under ground for a roll of 21)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

"Will we go into the dark, Little One? Or will It and She find someplace safe and quiet from the whispers in the dark? Her curiosity takes Her dangerous places, but She is not done with... You. The Flora, yes?"

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 18, 2013

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oreom Bonne

"I don't feel anything either usually. S'why I burn things, pal," Oreom confides in Thorgeisel, leaning on the flaming mace like a makeshift walking stick with one hand and picking in his ear with the pinky of the other. ".. tryin'ta anyway. Think Geareg'd never seen a tree .." he muttered irritably beneath his breath.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Olimar: It's easy to get a fix on disturbances in the light dust along the floor and follow it to the rest of the party. Hecate, Oreom, Figuero and Thorgeisl are down here! You catch quick glimpses of the Plant Room, Tank Bay, Torture Room, Prison and the secret stairs in the Prison, gaining knowledge of their link to the Fort's North Wing. Thorgeisl has just thrown open the door to a huge dimly lit room filled with the sounds of rushing water.

It's a wide open chamber with barred waterways to the West and a small raised platform to the East, next to which are skeletons on display of an insect-humanoid's exoskeleton, a rat-folk skeleton and a Humanoid with a sturdy build but no eye sockets. There's a clear source, both visual and detectable of magic from the platform linked to the Light spell you detected earlier. A frightened pale girl is speaking quietly to P'ui, an orb of animated light floating at her shoulder. On the Southern wall of the raised spot is a crude parchment rendition of a great malicious looking... thing. To the North of the chamber are a set of railed walkways that extend over darkness.

Thorgeisl: You feel a yearning to pass over the railways to the North.

P'ui: Guests are here! Fortunately, they appear to be your fellow conspirators. Flora clasps a hand to her own mouth to stifle another scream, then whispers to you. "I-I.. I don't mind which we do, b-b-but we're going to get in t-trouble if we're found down h-here!"

Vanessa: Cyrus shakes his head. "Ye can whisper ta me, but I ain't movin' from this spot."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Well, i guess we know that Carbon does have skeletons on his closet." Hecate quips as she looks at the corpses on display inside the chamber. What kinds of inhuman tortures or even experiments were going on inside this place? In any case this might be something to use as leverage against the Colonel. He wouldn't report the theft of his device to Geareg's authorities without the risk of having his own activities exposed.

And speaking of leverage... Hecate notices the light orb at the left part of the room. Looks like the Ratkin is there as well, which makes almost all of the group, but... Is that a girl with her? Hopefully P'Ui is not planning to kill and gnaw on the bones of the child, that would be most unpleasant.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl continues to follow his feeling. He heads north, in search of what is drawing him forth. That said he is at least somewhat careful he doesn't simply walk into a trap, or a hole.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

P'ui glances over to the others with momentary irritation, followed by relief. "This one had hoped more time to Herself, but They should be able to take care of anything in the Below. You are a scholar, yes? Surely the Flora is as curious as P'ui what lies in the dark?" She says her name pointing at herself. "She will make certain no harm comes of It."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"That's why I snuck down here, after all." Flora smiles in spite of herself, then her eyes widen in surprise and she presses a pair of fingers to her lips as though to remind herself to stay quiet."I.. I.. who are these people? Spies? Burglars? There isn't going to be a lot of fair trials if they get c-caught."

Advancing north, the group walks onto the sturdy iron walkways. They have no safety railings or anything but luckily they are sturdy and balance is easily kept. The drop beneath them looks to be very far, too far to gauge as it just continues dropping into darkness past 60 ft. Halfway along the walkway the stone construction around you gives way to natural cavern. The walkways complete their destination at a work area carved into the stone. If the railways were removed, one would have to fly, make a ridiculously dangerous climb or jump to get off it.

The bits that look like railings are a few feet high and can be hopped over with a DC 10 Acrobatics, costing 10 feet of movement per attempt, successful or not.

Flora has gone pale(r) at the sight of the things here. The railways end with individual, moveable blocks of heavy iron rails that were pushed aside and left out of place. Blood-stained tables set around the room give off a powerful stench of ancient rot. Remains of strange eyeless gray-skinned humanoids are splayed out over two of the tables, brutally vivisected in haphazard dissection. On the another are the remains of a pair of Ratkin in similar brutal condition and the final table holds a dog-sized rat with it's skull peeled back, peeled back a little too far for a rat's head. Barrels in the corner are filled with a great quantity of a strange wax-gel substance that is a dull white.

The room has a small lowered portion to the North lined by rails. In the back of the room there stands a great stone relief with a much more distinct carving of a terrible other-worldly figure. At the base of the obelisk is a great too-bright copper frame holding a blood-red block of solidified waxy gel. It's hard to see into but the faint outline of a humanoid figure is present in it. Great lines of pulsing white magical script are etched into the floor at four points around the figure and connected to the floor under the frame.

Thorgeisl and P'ui: You feel a great desire to approach the gel block!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

"A fair bit of both, we are. This one does not get caught, however." P'ui grins. She mutters something about how she's keeping an eye on the girl to the others but doesn't bother to elaborate.

As they reach the source of the pull, however, P'ui can no longer resist the pull and approaches the source directly.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Perhaps against his better judgement Thorgeisl approaches the gel block containing a strange figure. The pull is strong, and with each steps marks along Thorgeisl's body flash, glowing one color or another. His hands clench and unclench, while various energies briefly come into being upon his palms, before fading away only to be replaced with another color of energy.

He has enough presence of mind to mumble, "could it have something to do with the Illithid and the war?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

A naked, decrepit Mind Flayer is suspended in the gel, completely immobile. The coloration seems to be caused by deep wounds gouging out the left side of it's chest and it's stomach. It's arms are twisted and caught in mid-thrash. It's mouth-tentacles and demeanor are strained by pain, but calm and collected, the long face staring straight ahead as the tentacles are uniformly tucked down.

Thorgeisl, P'ui: You hear a voice in your head that makes a very polite suggestion. <Destroy the runes on the floor.> This prompts Will Saves to avoid being compelled to do so.

quote:

Charm vs Compulsion

Charm makes you believe the caster is your friend. Compulsion forces you to do something.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui

P'ui struggles to resist the pull. "W...What is It, that pulls so!?"

willpower: 1d20+1 15

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl struggles as well, "gnnn....no?!" Trying to resist the compulsion that beats at his mind. All the changes that were wrought in him may have changed him well, but they did not leave him particularly resistant to the mind flayer's call.

Willpower: 1d20+1 15 huh funny how that worked out.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hecate approaches the magical writing, too distracted by it to examine the statue and the Illithid closer. What kind of debased acts happened there, and for what reason Carbon engaged on such evil butchery? Is he a cultist of dark gods? Whatever it is... She casts a quick spell to help herself decode the white text, letting P'ui and Thorgeisl deal with the "statue" itself.

Casting Read Magic

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Flora: "What's wrong? Are you alright?!"

Thorgeisl, P'ui: Success. You resist the mental compulsion.

Hecate: Seems to be a great deal of very specific Magic Circle spells designed to keep the humanoid within from casting spells at those on the outside. There is also a Glyph of Warding set to cast something if it steps out of place and a very weak Magic Circle against Psionics. Although the world has a many great users of magic, Psionics not associated with Illithid users are very rare.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl snarls in anger, in rage, in remembered pain. "No! You will not take my mind! I will never be a slave to your kind again!"

He then begins to look around for some means to rip the life from the Mind Flayer without freeing it or allowing it to use its powers.

Spellcraft/Use Magic Device: 1d20+13 27 trying to figure out a way to get to the killing time without helping the mind flayer

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Well, he's a prisoner here. The Colonel got some good magical protections to keep him there, but i have no idea what for. Definitely nothing good considering we are talking about a Flayer." Hecate crosses her arms while turning her gaze on Flora. "And who's the little lady? Don't tell me it's Carbon daughter."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thorgeisl, Spellcraft: Irritatingly, you can't conceive of a good way to attack the Flayer without disrupting the equipment. If you're going to hit it, you'd best finish the deal with one shot.

Pressure is building in your head. Your temples start to throb.

Flora stares at Hecate for a moment. Same height, similar build, roughly the same age, but she definitely has that sort of ridiculously tall and very Human type-a personality thing and regal bearing that Nick Carbon had. "I.. I.." She stammers a bit, then frowns. "I am Flora Carbon, and w-who.. who are you to talk in such a way in my father's home?"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui

P'ui grits her teeth. "...Why is it here? It looks like one of the Masters, it pulls like one of the Masters, but the Masters are gone." She turns to Flora. "Why is it here? How is it here?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa's smile falters, and she glances at the other guards.
"Hhh... fine."
She crouches down to whisper to the halfling.
"Near the end of the war, I got in a battle with the flayers. Got this growth on my shoulder from it, it must radiate magic. The boffins tried to get it off, but they couldn't, but it hasn't grown or seemed aggressive, so I just ignore it when I can."
She glances back again at the guards, then faces Cyrus.
"Obviously I don't like spreading this around."

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Figuero Yhong

When he enters the room Figuero can almost instantly feel the hairs on the back of his neck prick up, a sick feeling lurks in the pit of his stomach. Keeping his distance he recognizes the figure as soon as it becomes visible. The color begins slowly draining out his face as his eyes lay upon the creature. Closing his eyes for a moment he clears his mind, and with a breath, blocks all distractions out of conscious thought. He immediately strides to the tables, examining the tools and creatures that lay out in the open first, before bracing his will and looking over the wounded and infeebled abomination.
((Knowledge Religion 1d20+7; take ten = 17))
((Knowledge Nature 1d20+7; take ten =17))

Upon hearing the younger girl's name, Figuero's eyebrows perk up. Somewhere inside him his devious nature gleems, "You poor girl, your father meddles in powers he can't possibly understand." he continues "Your father has become a target of the war, not over but simply having moved to the shadows,and the good Colonel is great danger ((Bluff 1d20+11=28))

"And even if the cultists are not already aware of this abomination, they will find it, they will heal it, and they will unleash it"

Opening his mouth as if to say more, the inquisitor stops himself...

((edit:P'ui is a jerk! Anyways, who is she gonna believe, the handsome young stranger with roguish good looks or the hideous white labrat that held a knife to her throat?))

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 19, 2013

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "Y... yessir. Right away, sir."

Once the search begins, Lefty will do his best to keep it directed away from the sewers and fortress underpinnings, hoping Olimar has made a clean getaway. Since he doesn't know where anyone else is or what's going on, he'll have to interfere as best he can without getting strung up himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui

P'ui laughs sardonically. "...How fitting for the frocked Ape to sputter lies from it's lips," P'ui spits, spoiling the lie. "Enough games. If this one resists the master's call any longer, Her head will split. Let us see if this one is fit to be served, or is a coward or pretender fit only to die upon a Thrall's blade." She slams the heel of her boot down on the runes on the floor and drags her foot across.

• Locked thread