Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tally
May 26, 2011

quakster posted:

Didn't you know, every single videogame needs at least one feature or bottleneck that's capable of souring the whole experience, I think there's actually a law about it and everything.

Bit like KFC.

I think the first Assassins Creed was like that for me. Great to look at, the fighting was good fun, you rode a horse, killed random people - then you got to the actual game play .... eek!

They fixed it since then thanks goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

quakster posted:

I did go back and enjoyed most of it. If you just spam weapons that don't require accuracy, it's easy as hell.

Same here, for probably the third time overall. But to make things a bit more interesting when I did, I chose to ignore buying as many weapons as I could, opting to buy just the Blaster and Pyrocitor (and Visibomb Gun when you're essentially forced to buy that to progress) while obtaining any of the free weapons whenever I could so I could buy both Nanotech Upgrades right after getting the O2 Mask from Jowai Resort on Pokitaru. Wrench Ninja Supremacy.

It also helped me chart out just exactly is completely skippable for simply speeding through the game when I forgot that when you get to the Starship Phoenix in Up Your Arsenal, your R&C1 save has to be past clearing the Gadgetron Hoverboard Race regardless of your save being in Challenge Mode. I think it was somewhere around three hours for me to plow through all the mandatory stuff to get to that second race. Hell, I even tried to see if it was possible to clear without clearing the first one. NOPE. I just wish the save file check was more of a "If save file is in Challenge Mode or if file possesses the Hologuise" instead of being just a Hologuise check.

...now to just wait for Deadlocked HD to come out and go back through that. Again. Too bad I can't do a clean run starting on Exterminator like I did once on my PS2 years ago.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I'm kinda glad I went and bought Full Frontal Assault as that'll net me Deadlocked HD for free. :dance:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Thank you!

Rinkles posted:

Insomniac has been fairly lukewarm towards the franchise recently -- and I don't like the direction of the new games -- but if their foray into full 3rd partyness is a bomb (Fuse, I probably should have come up with a terrible pun here) I'm sure Insomniac will gladly accept a commission from Sony for another sequel to keep them afloat.

Yeah, I'd love to see them come back and make a proper new Ratchet & Clank game, rather than any more silly spinoffs. Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time really were incredibly fun games, and it's depressing as hell that they sold so poorly given how great they were. It's really tragic that yet another 2D Mario game with the exact same gameplay as the NES originals will always be held in high critical acclaim, but when A Crack in Time released it got panned for apparently not doing anything new even though it had truly innovative gameplay mechanics like Clank's time puzzles :(

By the way, any Europeans here might be interested in the current sale on the PSN store, there's some real bargains to be had (with additional discounts on these prices for PS+ users):

Batman Arkham Asylum £7.99
Batman Arkham City £9.69
Darksiders £3.19
Darksiders 2 £9.99
Dishonored £19.69
Red Faction Armageddon £4.99
Red Faction Guerrilla £3.99
The Sly Trilogy £7.99
Twisted Metal £11.99

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

MUFFlNS posted:

Might pick this up as I only briefly played it at a friends house.

Does it hold up?

Tally
May 26, 2011

MUFFlNS posted:

I'm going to pick up the pair for a tenner, bargain!!

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Red Faction Guerrilla is a really great game. I'm not sure how well it will hold up graphically, but I recall having a lot of fun with it a couple years ago. As for Armageddon though I can't say, since I never checked it out. Apparently they ditched the open-world design for that game though and as a result it wasn't as fun, but I really doubt you can go wrong for £5 :shobon:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I played Armaggedon on the PC and I thought it was pretty fun, but very dumb.

I think it was worth it because I could completely destroy the scenery. "So, there's a bad guy behind a cover popping shots a me? Now there's no cover at all! :haw:".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Does it hold up?

The story's pretty bland, but god drat if it isn't satisfying to bring down a building with satchel charges. Or by your own two hands with just a sledgehammer and determination :black101:.

HardDisk posted:

I played Armaggedon on the PC and I thought it was pretty fun, but very dumb.

I think it was worth it because I could completely destroy the scenery. "So, there's a bad guy behind a cover popping shots a me? Now there's no cover at all! :haw:".

I generally ignored the assault rifle and abused the hell out of the remote charge gun. It kills most of the basic bugs in one shot, doesn't need to be reloaded, and you get a fair amount of ammo for it. Plus when you get multiple bugs on one ceiling spire, or just clustering together in general, it'll kill them all in one blast. It wasn't a great game, but I still had some fun with RF:Armageddon.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

quakster posted:

Didn't you know, every single videogame needs at least one feature or bottleneck that's capable of souring the whole experience, I think there's actually a law about it and everything.

Pretty much, yep.

Does Persona 4 maintain that mechanic? It'll be nice just being able to directly control the other characters, that'll at least help me protect him/her more, but that won't help against a lucky instant death / combination of attacks.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Awww, hell yeah. Vanquish going free for PS+ tomorrow. And I was just about to buy it, too!

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Awww, hell yeah. Vanquish going free for PS+ tomorrow. And I was just about to buy it, too!

I just bought it. :saddowns:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zaa Boogie posted:

I'll give it a go. Never big on FPS games but Vanquish looked kinda neat and free is never bad. :)

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

MUFFlNS posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum £7.99
Batman Arkham City £9.69
Darksiders £3.19
Darksiders 2 £9.99
Dishonored £19.69
The Sly Trilogy £7.99
Twisted Metal £11.99

Good lord, some of these deals rival Steam sales. Sony is really starting to step it up. I just hope this translates right into the PS4.

Zaa Boogie posted:

And another free game for me to play. This week has been incredible so far.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
As far as Batman and Red Faction I think those are fantastic deals for people that have never played them, I might get Armageddon, I loved Guerilla to death, and when I found out RF:A ditched open world I ignored it completely. Maybe for a reduced price I'll revel in the guilty pleasure of a fun dumb game.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Nice! Between free Vanquish, $20 Anarchy Reigns, and, tomorrow, MGR, I'll be ODing on Platinum Games games for relatively cheap. Just gotta pick up Bayonetta eventually.

The free Mega Man X remake is nice, too!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I hope you all enjoy Vanquish. Remember, don't play it like Gears of War, play it like a rocket-boosting superhero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AZOf5VeSW4&hd=1&t=1207s

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

I hope you all enjoy Vanquish. Remember, don't play it like Gears of War, play it like a rocket-boosting superhero.

Yeah, this bears repeating. You CAN play it like a regular cover-based shooter, but the game is geared towards fast, aggressive play. The faster and harder you hit, the more rewarding it feels.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Does it hold up?

If you get it, put the game on easy mode. The game gets ridiculous otherwise.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

That loving Sned posted:

... oh my god, I really WAS playing it wrong. I didn't even know you could take control of those walker things, and I specifically remember thinking "these turrets are kind of useless" in that fight.

Thank you, PS+, for giving me a chance to correct my egregious error (for free).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
God drat it stop making me want to buy Vanquish again!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

God drat it stop making me want to buy Vanquish again!

Just get PSN+. Seriously, it's worth it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Just get PSN+. Seriously, it's worth it.
Wait is it free to play right now on PS+? I was just thinking about starting up my account again. Though ironically, I just bought Ninja Gaiden Sigma digitally but now it's free there.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait is it free to play right now on PS+?

Tomorrow. Just in time for me to download it and remember HEY I have REVENGEANCE!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Tomorrow. Just in time for me to download it and remember HEY I have REVENGEANCE!
Oh. Well, I dunno then. I ordered Revengence from Amazon and it will be a few days before they can get it out to my tiny island, and once I have that I don't think I'll be playing much else for a while after. I can't decide if it's worth it.

edit: what else is going up tomorrow? Where are you finding this out?

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
There's a PS Blog site, but the best option is Yechezkel's awesome PS Store thread. Don't forget you can "buy" the free game and not download it. That way it'll be available after the MGR glow wears off (hopefully) months from now.

I'm on about month 10 of my year membership and have a huge backlog of free stuff I haven't touched. There's too many games right now.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Pretty much, yep.

Does Persona 4 maintain that mechanic? It'll be nice just being able to directly control the other characters, that'll at least help me protect him/her more, but that won't help against a lucky instant death / combination of attacks.

In a way, yes. However at least on the Vita version you don't game over, you just get to restart the floor you were on when you died. I can't remember any more if that was how the PS2 version worked or not!

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Policenaut posted:

Believe me, once you get into Revengeance, you're not going to remember anything else exists.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Static Rook posted:

There's a PS Blog site, but the best option is Yechezkel's awesome PS Store thread. Don't forget you can "buy" the free game and not download it. That way it'll be available after the MGR glow wears off (hopefully) months from now.

I'm on about month 10 of my year membership and have a huge backlog of free stuff I haven't touched. There's too many games right now.

I hope you know that the games won't work once your membership expires. (or you could be saying even one year of membership gave you too many games to play)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Hal Incandenza posted:

In a way, yes. However at least on the Vita version you don't game over, you just get to restart the floor you were on when you died. I can't remember any more if that was how the PS2 version worked or not!

Well, that's somewhat less annoying!

And given that P4 will probably be my motivator to buy a Vita, that's the version I am concerned with. :v:

e. I'm thinking that reloading an ancient save just to get Star and Armageddon to cheese that pain in my rear end Nyx may not really be worth the hassle, since it's going to involve replaying like 10-15 hours of game IF I can max that s-link in that amount of time. I might just pick a more recent maybe two game-week old save and grind my rear end off to make Blue Haired Fragile Protagonist more durable and make me some better personas. I just... if I lose another goddamn 2 hours of my life, I don't care how much I adore P3 [and seriously I adore that game so hard] I can't do it, I can't :negative: Honestly though, besides my problem that ended the fight, I headed into it with a lovely set of personas and am somewhat surprised I found a strategy that kept me alive as long as I was.

e2. I think that fight is kind of cool though, if the intention is to make it seem futile to fight death, considering how hard it hits and how long the fight is and especially once it goes Death arcana and takes significantly less damage. Keeping that in mind made me appreciate it, to a degree, whether that was the intention or not.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 19, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SamBishop posted:

Believe me, once you get into Revengeance, you're not going to remember anything else exists.

Does Revengeance have any Metal Gear Solid 5 material hidden away, by any chance?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SamBishop posted:

Vanquish is Revengeance with guns, so it's pretty much the perfect thing to play before the adrenaline wears off.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I got a sealed copy of Vanquish on my backlog pile. Dunno if I should just try to sell it now or what. With my luck Binary Domain will be free next month.

I need to play my games!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Does Revengeance have any Metal Gear Solid 5 material hidden away, by any chance?

I haven't finished it, but in early Codec Calls:

Raiden has talked about Solid Snake a bit. Kevin refers to him in the past tense, which I thought meant he was dead, but then Kevin says "I'd like to meet him someday" so I dunno. Would an MGS5 even be in the future? I thought the stuff they were talking about was a Big Boss game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wugh. It's a good thing DC Universe Online is free to play because I don't think I'd be very happy with myself if I paid money for it. There's certainly many good ideas here and there but, uh....they don't exactly come together to form something I enjoy for more than a couple of hours.

I do like the character creator, move style system and so on. But, for starters, they seriously need better music design and better writers for the questgiver dialogue. Some of this is a real snore to listen to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I haven't finished it, but in early Codec Calls:

Raiden has talked about Solid Snake a bit. Kevin refers to him in the past tense, which I thought meant he was dead, but then Kevin says "I'd like to meet him someday" so I dunno. Would an MGS5 even be in the future? I thought the stuff they were talking about was a Big Boss game.

Yeah that can't be MGS5. MGS5 is suppose to take place just after Peace Walker I think. I was hoping there would be some bonus content on the disc, like a new trailer maybe, but it hasn't been that long since the Phantom Pain trailer.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Yeah that can't be MGS5. MGS5 is suppose to take place just after Peace Walker I think. I was hoping there would be some bonus content on the disc, like a new trailer maybe, but it hasn't been that long since the Phantom Pain trailer.
I thought 5 and Ground Zeroes were distinct?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Akuma posted:

I thought 5 and Ground Zeroes were distinct?

It's likely that "Ground Zeroes" and "The Phantom Pain" are both aspects of "Metal Gear Solid 5", but who knows for sure.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mug posted:

It's likely that "Ground Zeroes" and "The Phantom Pain" are both aspects of "Metal Gear Solid 5", but who knows for sure.

Yeah, the theory is that Phantom Pain could be a prologue (or Tanker chapter) and Ground Zeroes would be the rest of the game.

All the stuff they showed off in Phantom Pain could fit in one chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My theory was that what is shown in Phantom Pain, takes place after what was shown in the Ground Zero trailer. It's making me go crazy thinking about how all of this might be connected. Really want to know more, and hopefully E3 this year will answer all of that.

• Locked thread