Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

echoMateria posted:

Please take the first look and tell us what you think about its current state:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZniPLudYGdw
Uh, this made me even more confused, and gives me the impression that your game is pretty dull. All I can really see is someone button mashing? I can't tell if they're hitting different buttons or what, but given that the only visual feedback is "girl icon attacks" -> "dingy noise", it gives the impression someone is wailing ineffectively on an attack key.

It also showed the grid again, which somehow is also more confusing in motion. I think it's that the grid never moves while the blobs do move, which always gives that impression of the world zooming around you rather than you moving through the world.

If you want to sell the gameplay and it's as KB-heavy as it looks, you guys really need to do a voice-over video that slowly walks the player through what the heck is happening on-screen. Start it with a brief explanation of that grid view, and what the blue blobs and green blobs are, and mention the fact that you're actually moving around in a world. (EDIT: VV Or text, yeah, just some explanation of any kind)

... basically, it seems like you guys chose a really, really hard-to-sell game to localize. It looks extremely dense, with very little visual feedback. I'd call it old-school, if it weren't for the anime layer on top - mechanics like that grid map remind me a lot of old Commodore 64 RPGs. Your video there would be fantastic for another game, but for this one, it'll take more to get the concepts across.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

echoMateria posted:

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I'll have my partner read your suggestions on improving his descriptions.

We got some good progress with the gameplay trailer. We haven't put it up on IndieGoGo and Greenlight yet, will do so tomorrow if it passes the final evaluation.

Please take the first look and tell us what you think about its current state:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZniPLudYGdw

You could definitely edit a good main video from that. If you took one of the battles, edited it down to the key parts, and included explanation text, like you did in your trailer, it would be pretty good. By "key parts", I just mean like minimizing repetition - when the heroine is slashing like 3-6 times in a row, you can just show one and be fine.

As far as explanation, you need to explain not only what is happening, but what the player is doing to cause it to happen, and why that matters. For instance, when "paper" or "nt" shows up on the screen, you need to explain that the player is using the hint gem to get clues about the enemy, and that "paper" is a characteristic of it and "nt" are some of the letters in its name.

You need to explain what the grid is, too. Is that the world map? :crossarms:

edit: Oh, and I thought of something else you may want to include in future projects, or add onto this one. This probably will come across as an attack, but try not to be defensive, it's a question people will have. Now, I know that there are plenty of native speakers of English outside America/Britain/etc. But you should probably explain why a group of people in Finland decided to open a Japanese->English localization house. Do any of you speak English natively?

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 17, 2013

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

XboxPants posted:

You could definitely edit a good main video from that. If you took one of the battles, edited it down to the key parts, and included explanation text, like you did in your trailer, it would be pretty good.
But you should probably explain why a group of people in Finland decided to open a Japanese->English localization house. Do any of you speak English natively?
Thanks for the video edit recommendations, we'll make good use of them.

The only Finnish in our trio is Jakke, our editor and project manager with a degree in English. He edits the translations of Yoshifumi, our Japanese translator and relations coordinator. I am Ozhan, the Turkish guy who handles graphics and marketing. Our additional staff include another Finnish and Turk, a Dutch and a couple of Americans. We three partners have worked on many localization projects under other banners in the past, some released successfully, some cancelled. That's where we met and decided to strike out on our own. More reading on this is available from our site's About Section if you like.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 17, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
New video for Awakened, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyhzeOED6sU From Kotaku

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

echoMateria posted:

Thanks for the video edit recommendations, we'll make good use of them.

The only Finnish in our trio is Jakke, our editor and project manager with a degree in English. He edits the translations of Yoshifumi, our Japanese translator and relations coordinator. I am Ozhan, the Turkish guy who handles graphics and marketing. Our additional staff include another Finnish and Turk, a Dutch and a couple of Americans. We three partners have worked on many localization projects under other banners in the past, some released successfully, some cancelled. That's where we met and decided to strike out on our own. More reading on this is available from our site's About Section if you like.

Thank you very much for the honest answer. :) I did read that section on the site, but I didn't see anything there to tell me whether any of your translators are native English speakers. That's something I'd really like to know - though, that's sorta just my personal curiosity. ;)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Ether One looks neat - it's kina Amnesia meets Inception.

...is this on Kickstarter? This is a Greenlight page and can't find a KS page. Because if it is a KS I'd gladly back it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Overflight posted:

...is this on Kickstarter? This is a Greenlight page and can't find a KS page. Because if it is a KS I'd gladly back it.

... apparently not. Could have sworn it was, but I can't find it now either.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
I like how colorful and saturated everything looks, a great departure from Amnesia's browngreyblack environment. If this is actually a horror game (and not, say, a cinematic first-person adventure with a somewhat twisted story) then I salute their courage.

Would definitely kickstart this outside of Steam.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

A shame that this probably won't get funded. I've backed it, but if no other publisher picked this up between Midway filing for bankruptcy and now, I wonder if it's actually going to be all they claim it will.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Say hello to Rogue System, basically Elite bumped up like 800 hardcore levels or something. It looks like a really interesting take on the genre for people who love complexity, but I'm not sure if they'll ever get $300k...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZOwZNvOhP4

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Say hello to Rogue System, basically Elite bumped up like 800 hardcore levels or something. It looks like a really interesting take on the genre for people who love complexity, but I'm not sure if they'll ever get $300k...

Sounds pretty cool, and his attention to detail in generating solar systems is really great. Pledged, even if it might be a long shot.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That looks cool, but I had to reread the rewards bit to figure out the basic preorder starts at $20. Not good when those things aren't clear.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Got this in my Twitter feed: There Came An Echo, which is billed as a voice-controlled RTS. They've got a couple familiar names attached, chief among them being Wil Wheaton. Not sure how the voice gimmick will go, but sounds like an interesting concept, at least.

EDIT: Apparently, I can't read too well in the morning. They're also offering keyboard/mouse and controller setups, for people who don't feel comfortable with the voice controls. Good news for non-Americans at least, given the medium's prior problems with accents.

Antitonic fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 19, 2013

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Antitonic posted:

Got this in my Twitter feed: There Came An Echo, which is billed as a voice-controlled RTS. They've got a couple familiar names attached, chief among them being Wil Wheaton. Not sure how the voice gimmick will go, but sounds like an interesting concept, at least.

Seems kind of neat, I like the way the squad chatter plays into the game, but I feel like if I played this game my wife would never, ever stop making fun of me for it.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The WIP #4 video shows the guy pressing lots of buttons - the spaceship cockpit is fully functional. Reminds me of those super complicated train simulators.

It's a neat concept, but he's being WAY too ambitious. He shouldn't aim at having both a fun unprecedently complicated space sim AND a single player campaign with cutscenes and poo poo.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The Banner Saga: Factions has soft launched for all backers starting today. Full singleplayer/multiplayer is now available. It's launching Feb 25th for everyone else.

quote:

A time of reckoning is upon us. All of us at Stoic are proud to announce, after burning the midnight oil for many moons, that beta has ended for The Banner Saga: Factions and soft launch is today!

What does that mean? In industry terms, soft launch is a short period in which a game is finished and complete, but released to a limited public.

Also, it is a thank you to our generous and wonderful backers to get a head start on the release build of the game. Your progress is being saved this week and carries over for the official launch.

There are some special perks available this week only, and every backer has a special green jade stone shown on your combat emblem that is exclusive to backers and early access players that are yours forever.

From Feb 18th - Feb 24th Factions will be available exclusively to backers. The current characters, stats and rankings have been wiped for the last time and the game is essentially now LIVE, along with a fully functional tutorial. Later in the week we’ll be holding the first tournament exclusively for backers.

Factions will be released to the public on Feb 25th. If you’ve been waiting for beta to end before trying the game, this is your week.

With Factions’ launch, we’ve effectively worked out the thick and thin of combat and we’re soon on to travel and conversation outlined in the previous update, and thus, the single player campaign. Consider this the first major milestone on the road to success!

From all of us here at Stoic,
Skal!

edit: Single player portion of Factions isn't entirely done yet

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 19, 2013

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Antitonic posted:

I'm really intrigued.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

NeonCowboy posted:

I hope it's not a breach of the rules to do a quick re-post here, but the free game that I've got going on IndieGoGo has been getting some really great reviews. You can download it at:

http://www.actualsunlight.com

It's not a game that I think anyone would be inclined to believe is good based on the screenshots (including the ones I posted earlier) so I'm hoping you guys will instead believe some of the other people who've played it.

Reviews (Some contain spoilers):

IndieStatik: “Actual Sunlight is the hardest hitting game about depression I’ve ever played.”

TorontoThumbs.com: “It’s not often that a game makes me sit back and say ‘whoa’.”

TPReview: “It might be the most profound and personal game I’ve ever played.”

To be honest, I'm not really too wound up about the fundraising campaign, and would totally love it if you guys would just check it out, play it, and share it with anyone else you think it might resonate with.

Thanks!

Man I hope you can team up with someone who can port this to IOS. I have a hard time reading that much text on a computer screen, which is a shame because your writing is utterly FANTASTIC.

Really enjoying what I've played so far though (Though not sure if enjoyed is the right word to describe a game about depression, haha)

I see you've got a crowdfunding campaign going, hopefully you'll hit your goal.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

RIOT looks unique, fun, and I'm in love with the art style. I'm also really curious to see how it approaches the subject matter.

It's flex funding :ughh:, but still:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jWYCXneCn8

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Gyoru posted:

The Banner Saga: Factions has soft launched for all backers starting today. Full singleplayer/multiplayer is now available. It's launching Feb 25th for everyone else.

edit: Single player portion of Factions isn't entirely done yet
So I've played around with it a bit (for like 10 minutes). Very cool. The art direction, which we already knew was great, looks fantastic on my screen. Seems like it'll be a pretty darn good turn-based tactical combat game, too. The voice acting is also pretty solid.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Shalinor posted:

RIOT looks unique, fun, and I'm in love with the art style. I'm also really curious to see how it approaches the subject matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jWYCXneCn8
Okay, I held my tongue the last time because I thought I was just imagining things, but what is with this tall-and-skinny pixel art style that keeps popping up all over the place? I swear this is like the 5th game of recent times to use it. I think it's annoying as hell and ugly. It's in Sword and Sworcery EP, also this game, and sort-of in legend of dungeon, and a few others I can't recall currently.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Orzo posted:

Okay, I held my tongue the last time because I thought I was just imagining things, but what is with this tall-and-skinny pixel art style that keeps popping up all over the place? I swear this is like the 5th game of recent times to use it. I think it's annoying as hell and ugly. It's in Sword and Sworcery EP, also this game, and sort-of in legend of dungeon, and a few others I can't recall currently.
Eh, I like it. But yeah, it's popping up everywhere lately. There's that zombie arena brawler that also uses this style.

Sworcery popularized it, and now it's an evolving character style within pixel art. That's "it". I'm just glad people aren't so hung up on perfectly recreated NES/SNES sprites anymore.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Orzo posted:

What kind of answer are you looking for? People think it looks neat so they're making their games in that style. It's not exactly an unfathomable mystery. It's a trend.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
For what it's worth I think Sworcery looks absolutely gorgeous. I seem to get taken in a lot by unique or just plain good visuals though.

edit: Speaking of good visuals, I don't know if anyone noticed but 90's Arcade Racer succeeded. Got the email yesterday, I'm jazzed.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 19, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What kind of answer are you looking for? People think it looks neat so they're making their games in that style. It's not exactly an unfathomable mystery. It's a trend.
I mean yeah, it's just my opinion that I don't like it, I guess I'm wondering what started it all. Sword and Sworcery is the first time I noticed it, but did they set the trend? Also, it may be that people are using it because they like it, but to me it seems another possible reason is due to laziness or lack of artistic talent.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Orzo posted:

I mean yeah, it's just my opinion that I don't like it, I guess I'm wondering what started it all. Sword and Sworcery is the first time I noticed it, but did they set the trend? Also, it may be that people are using it because they like it, but to me it seems another possible reason is due to laziness or lack of artistic talent.
...or they realize that making good-looking 3D graphics or high-res 2D sprites would consume far more time and/or money than they can afford for an indie studio.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shalinor posted:

What is the actual point of the 'goal' in Flex Funding projects?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

MikeJF posted:

What is the actual point of the 'goal' in Flex Funding projects?

It's a number that if you don't reach it, indiegogo takes a bigger slice of the pie. So I guess every flex funding thing should just have a goal of $1…

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Tried out The Banner Saga.

So this is their freemium multiplayer version and as far as I can tell in a night of playing, the pay-to-win horror stories seem to apply. Some of the content is exclusive to a fee (the unit variations) and the renown points you can spend to otherwise promote your units seem to grind at an interminable pace - I enabled Expert Mode which gives you more renown in exchange for a faster move timer and the games still take like 35 minutes to earn you one-fifth of the necessary points to promote a single one of your lowest-ranked units.

In my most recent game I was up against a guy who had one unit that had as much health/damage as my three best combined. To the guy's credit, he left that unit in the corner and didn't use it at all so I managed to beat the rest of his handicapped team but if he had wanted to he could have one-shotted all my dudes without taking a scratch. And he did that to my remaining team. Maybe it was just a matchmaking hiccup.

The mechanics are interesting. I think there is a perverse incentive to keep low-health units alive because killing them just gives the other player's stronger units more turns - teams always alternate turns regardless of how many units they have. So if you leave a 1 health/damage guy on the field then he's basically wasting a turn the guy could use to attack with a unit with higher damage. It's got pretty nice production quality and the art is good and the animated intro suggests the single-player campaign could be really good, but if it isn't I'm gonna be pretty annoyed that my money went to develop their Zynga pyramid scheme, first.

Edit: I said IF the single-player isn't good - yeah I suppose it would more likely just be a foundational error rather than a microtransaction-motivated one that would result in the game being disappointing. But yeah being in the game and having SALE! plastered all over stuff leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I think calling it a pyramid scheme is obvious hyperbole.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 19, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

epitasis posted:

but if it isn't I'm gonna be pretty annoyed that my money went to develop their Zynga pyramid scheme, first.

Their Kickstarter updates repeatedly stated that Factions was meant to be the production base for their combat and unit framework and that the single player game would be strapped onto the work that Factions produced. I'm not sure how you think this is somehow detracting from the single-player game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cicero posted:

...or they realize that making good-looking 3D graphics or high-res 2D sprites would consume far more time and/or money than they can afford for an indie studio.

Making actually good looking low pixel sprites is a lot harder than doing it with higher quality sprites. Shockingly, most of these low effort low pixel sprites end up looking pretty poo poo, much like a lot of actual old games looked plain lovely even for their time.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Orzo posted:

Making a game look good takes hard work and artistic talent whether it's done with Swords and Sworcery pixel art or anything else.

NeonCowboy
Oct 9, 2009

I see y'all flashing, diamond, dancing, shining /
Keep your head up

theblackw0lf posted:

Man I hope you can team up with someone who can port this to IOS. I have a hard time reading that much text on a computer screen, which is a shame because your writing is utterly FANTASTIC.

Really enjoying what I've played so far though (Though not sure if enjoyed is the right word to describe a game about depression, haha)

I see you've got a crowdfunding campaign going, hopefully you'll hit your goal.

Thanks! I'd love to port it to iOS - sadly, I'm sure it would cost a lot more than the 2k I'm already struggling to raise.

But, as I head into the last week of the campaign, I suppose anything is possible. If by some off-chance I blow way over my goal, that would be the first thing I'd look into... I wasn't interested in any conversions initially, but a number of people have asked...

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE
*slurp* *slurrrrp* mmmm cop cock oh God so good in my mouth like this

Antitonic posted:

EDIT: Apparently, I can't read too well in the morning. They're also offering keyboard/mouse and controller setups, for people who don't feel comfortable with the voice controls. Good news for non-Americans at least, given the medium's prior problems with accents.

This may be the first Kickstarter that I've viewed and right away said gently caress Yes!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

Making actually good looking low pixel sprites is a lot harder than doing it with higher quality sprites. Shockingly, most of these low effort low pixel sprites end up looking pretty poo poo, much like a lot of actual old games looked plain lovely even for their time.

Making a good looking game is hard, period, but at the end of the day there is a cost per pixel/vertex paid by the artist - you can crank out low rez assets much more quickly than very high resolution assets, because you get to imply much more.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Orzo posted:

Reminds me of Jason Rohrer's art, starting with 2007's Passage.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Orzo posted:

It's either tall and skinny or short and stubby when it comes to pixel art.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Call Now posted:

It's either tall and skinny or short and stubby when it comes to pixel art.

Not necessarily - think of things like point and click adventure games or classic PC RPGs.
Basically, there's two cheap'n'simple ways to give characters expression: Put a fuckhuge head with balloon eyes on them (Japanese/console-style) or go for silhouette/body expression, which has unfortunately evolved into that neo-hipster one-pixel-limbs syndrome.

The thing is, as a single piece that style does look neat (maybe S&S was the first one that did it consistently?), BUT the animation still needs to work and not be zero-effort nudgery. I couldn't bear playing S&S for more than five minutes, but I can't remember animation being particularly good or anything...

Needless ot say though, plagia-- being inspired by that style pretty much screams "I'm a no-talent copycat".

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You guys are incredibly harsh, Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You guys are incredibly harsh, Jesus.

It's just people with the same opinion agreeing on a matter of aesthetics.

In my case, that Riot game does look neat and the stickyguys are a good choice for mass scenes, it's only the close-ups showing off the animations that made me go "Nah, it's a bit ugly". I get that they went for semi-realistic movements (possibly rotoscoping not the proportions, but rhythm of people in actual footage), and it's cool they made things look consistent.
It's just that I get the impression that it maybe isn't their "own" thing, and of course the fact that I'm already fed up with that style after like two years of seeing it.