Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Pureauthor posted:

A Noctis... perfume.

All right, that's it. Stop the car. I'm getting off.

There's been Cloud, Sephiroth, Lightning and more perfumes, this isn't anything new. And it means they are starting to advertise the game seriously. I don't think it'll be too long before we get news on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Shortest Path posted:

There sure is. Some fan group put together a rework of the game that fixes a lot of the difficulty and makes it more challenging (and less bullshit) without changing any of the core parts of it. It's the FFT 1.3 patch, hosted here:

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/index.php/Final%20Fantasy%20Tactics%201.3/home

If you mean the standard game without any modifications, then not really unless you deliberately challenge yourself with something like an all class playthrough. The difficulty curve spikes early and then plummets until the end of the game, with the occasional outlier like the Wiegraf battle if you aren't prepared for it.

No, this seems perfect. And it's there for WotL too!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Haha what :v:

Not to start a derail about 1.3 in this thread, and I apologize if I do, but 1.3 isn't something that someone not intimately familiar with FFT (like, say, someone who says they were using "Assassins") should attempt. Better stick with the Content version for now.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's gonna be for PS3 too, right? Not just Vita?

Ain't no way I'm buying a Vita just for that.

This is the only thing I care about. I can't understand Japanese, but all I heard from the video was "PS Vita".

It's coming for PS3 as well, right guys?

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
Back when XIII came out I got around 20-25 hours into it, right around when you first get to the field on Pulse. I liked the characters but couldn't really follow the story, and once I walked away from it I just couldn't bother to return for a few years. A few months ago I got a bug to catch up on the numbered releases, as I had missed XI, XII and obviously playing XIII and XIII-2 would be important if I were to pick up Lightning Returns in the future. XI was fun for about a month but MMOs don't exactly click with me.

Apparently I lost my XIII save game, which almost turned me off of playing again since I really wasn't looking forward to the twenty hour tutorial, but it really was the best thing that could have happened. Maybe I didn't pay attention to the prompts the first time through, or maybe I just wasn't looking for the type of game play that XIII provides, but something clicked this time through. I didn't get stuck at the first big boss fight, the paradigm system just clicked and I actually had fun with it and could follow the storyline since the second play through filled in the blanks I had missed the first time.

I jumped straight into XIII-2 with low expectations but it may have turned out to be my favorite Final Fantasy game. The pacing is great, it doesn't take itself seriously plot-wise, the characters are likeable and I don't feel like it overstayed its welcome. The story kept me intrigued but it was all lighthearted enough to just be fun. Every time Mog annoyed me he got punted into the ocean or off the edge of an endless-abyss (chucking him casually off the side of a ledge, watching him bounce helplessly while sounding pathetic, only to have a group of passerby's all swarm him to see what the hell just happened will never get old), Serah was made to sound like an idiot with every moronic live-event response possible, and my chocobos wore afros with chocobos in them.

Even the music was great. I loved XIII's music and XIII-2 holds its own with songs like Knight of the Goddess. I agree that some of the songs could have done without lyrics, especially in areas where they repeat, but overall I enjoyed most of them.

It's a game that I can't imagine getting through without access to a guide if you're like me and don't have hours to dedicate to searching around to move forward, but otherwise the pacing was fine. I appreciated being able to simply run away from enemies without engaging them if I didn't need the experience (except 400AF, I agree with the previous posters about hating that part) and most of the side quests are truly optional. Saving anywhere and having a little recap when you load your game is a nice touch, too.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone that it was a good game if it didn't click for them, but maybe someone here will give it a shot after reading this. There are worse ways to blow twenty bucks, especially since it makes the whole DLC system a little less painful at that price.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Pablo Gigante posted:

HD only ever refers to resolution, not polygon count or anything else

And the Vita's screen resolution is 960x544, which is also not what most people think of when they think "HD". Although, granted, it beats the PS2 version's 512xWhatever or something like that.

Dross fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 18, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Aureon posted:

My dream combat system for XV is KH's, but with settable gambits for the non-controllable characters. So, i basically want the "action" version of FF XII. I wouldn't shed a tear if parrying wasn't in, though.

This is exactly what Versus is. A refined version of Kingdom Hearts, where you can swap between your four characters on the fly and use their different weapons and abilities. One even has a gun, and controls like a third-person shooter, letting you target specific weaknesses or environmental hazards. The main character can also throw his sword, then teleport to the enemy it hit, which sounds really fun to play with.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pablo Gigante posted:

HD only ever refers to resolution, not polygon count or anything else

The Vita doesn't have an HD display. :eng101:

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Not to start a derail about 1.3 in this thread, and I apologize if I do, but 1.3 isn't something that someone not intimately familiar with FFT (like, say, someone who says they were using "Assassins") should attempt. Better stick with the Content version for now.

Even if you're familiar with FFT you stand a good chance of getting your rear end handed to you playing the 1.3 'fix' so new players need to avoid it completely.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Veks posted:

There's been Cloud, Sephiroth, Lightning and more perfumes, this isn't anything new. And it means they are starting to advertise the game seriously. I don't think it'll be too long before we get news on it.

Only with Square-Enix would perfume be considered serious advertising. :cheeky:

No seriously, the perfume shows that they're not trying to let it fade from public interest and hope people forget. It's still a thing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm playing FF8 on my PSP for the first time since the game was new and it's stuttering like crazy in some parts of Disc 3. Was that always part of the game, or is it some funky behavior caused by the PSP? It's been too long since I've played the original version to recall, but it's pretty irritating. It played fine up until now.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Well, he DID ask about making it more difficult :V

And I say less bullshit because it doesn't have the problems with, say, the massive difficulty spikes that then go away completely. It's a curve, and you're never let down from it.

Eggie posted:

Only with Square-Enix would perfume be considered serious advertising. :cheeky:

Considering SE's target audience in Japan being people who enjoy androgynous protagonists and subtle angst out the wazoo, this doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Veks posted:

Also, a Noctis perfume is coming out

Calling it now, Versus will be presented along with the PS4 this wednesday. It'll happen. :colbert:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Surlaw posted:

I'm playing FF8 on my PSP for the first time since the game was new and it's stuttering like crazy in some parts of Disc 3. Was that always part of the game, or is it some funky behavior caused by the PSP? It's been too long since I've played the original version to recall, but it's pretty irritating. It played fine up until now.

Do you have that emulation setting on where it's something like "Fast loading" or something along those lines? Try turning that off, same thing happened to me in FF9 in areas with a lot of CG.

Eggie posted:

No seriously, the perfume shows that they're not trying to let it fade from public interest and hope people forget. It's still a thing.

Apparently Noctis is already really high up on their "most popular FF character" polls, which what the gently caress

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There are 575 different fanfictions of Versus 13 on fanfiction.net at the time of this post.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Terper posted:

There are 575 different fanfictions of Versus 13 on fanfiction.net at the time of this post.

3 will be chosen at random and will become the canon story of FF13VS to reduce development time

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

3 will be chosen at random and will become the canon story of FF13VS to reduce development time

It will still end up with a more coherent and better-written plot than the Kingdom Hearts series.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
You guys should take this with many, many grains of salt, but the latest rumor really is that Versus, along with The Last Guardian, switched development to the PS4 a while ago and that's why they couldn't say anything about them, which... makes sense, I guess? Didn't both games go dark around the same year? Either way, we'll know for sure tomorrow.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Do you have that emulation setting on where it's something like "Fast loading" or something along those lines? Try turning that off, same thing happened to me in FF9 in areas with a lot of CG.
Nope, but I had it on for a while when I replayed 7 and it caused weird things to happen like character portraits and text being all garbled after battle.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

chumbler posted:

Megaman X Command Mission

That game was awesome and I love it even if the story didn't make the slightest bit of goddamn sense.

sector_corrector posted:

I'm replaying FFTA:2 right now, and it's also making me wish for a true sequel to FFT. I feel like breaking off in to six different races doesn't allow for enough interesting interactions and combos between jobs, and also that the weapon based learning is a huge pain in the rear end and an artificial way to extend the length of the game (especially since you're putting yet another layer of grinding in with the Bazaar system).

I've got mixed feelings on IX/TA/A2's method of learning abilities and commands from equipment. On one hand, it's a huge pain in the rear end like you said and makes learning abilities take much longer than it probably should. This isn't so much a problem in IX since you can get in multiple fights in the span of a few minutes, whereas with TA/A2 a single fight can take a while sometimes. In addition, it means if you don't find a piece of equipment, you'll never master a job. For example, I know in TA I never found a single piece of Mythril equipment and thus nobody ever learned the Combo abilities (except Marche who came with it). That's really annoying.

On the other hand, it actually gives you a reason to go search for the rare equipment. For example, the first couple of times I played FFVI, I never got Lightbringer. My team was perfectly capable of beating the game and the optional bosses without it, so why bother trying to get it? Making a rare weapon have an ability you can't get any other way is a good incentive to try and get equipment you might not otherwise.

The biggest problem A2 has with jobs split between races is that you don't get access to two of the races until late in the game. I don't think TA did this, I think you got access to the different races pretty early on. It kind of sucks because while Seeq and Gria are cool, you probably already have a committed team at that point in the game, and while their jobs are good, they only get four jobs each which means they're a lot more limited as far as what they can do in combat.

Having to unlock certain jobs for races through missions also compounded the problem of getting certain jobs fairly late in the game, thus limiting their usefulness. I don't mind having to level up certain classes to unlock later ones (that's what the original Tactics did after all) but putting it behind a mission wall is really annoying. I'm guessing they did that because there wasn't such a thing as job levels, and new classes were unlocked by how many abilities you had learned. Since there's far less job options for each race as opposed to how many jobs were in the original Tactics, I guess they had to lock away some of the classes so you didn't end up with something like a Viera assassin in the first three hours.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Yeah, but having a Viera assassin early wouldn't matter because you wouldn't be able to use their more broken abilities until you find the right equipment. So hiding jobs behind a class wall is redundant.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

You guys should take this with many, many grains of salt, but the latest rumor really is that Versus, along with The Last Guardian, switched development to the PS4 a while ago and that's why they couldn't say anything about them, which... makes sense, I guess? Didn't both games go dark around the same year? Either way, we'll know for sure tomorrow.

Sony probably doesn't want anyone to mention what is in development for the PS4 until today's unveiling, which is why all the latest news for Versus and The Last Guardian have been some variant of "Yes, we're still working on it, please be patient for more news". This also suggests that Versus is still PlayStation exclusive, because there are some multiplatform next-gen games like Watch Dogs which haven't been kept as quiet.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm playing through FF13, going to finish it this time. Giving it an honest chance, no expectations.

... however this music is loving terrible.

The battle music was such a unique form of bad that my brain said 'You've heard this before, and it sucked then too.'

Sure enough, the composer is Hamauzu, the dude who did Saga Frontier 2 (which had horrible battle music and a bunch of music I didn't like) and Unlimited Saga (see previous)

Why would they use this guy over Ito or or Shimomura or Sakimoto? Ugh.

Combat is fun, graphics are beautiful, characters are a mixed bag. I actually do like Lightning, so that's something.

Anyway, back to my jrpg lounge music.

edit: God damnit, he did the music for FF13-2 as well? I can't escape :eng99:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I liked the music :shobon: The Battle music especially. I dunno.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

victrix posted:

... however this music is loving terrible.

Them's fightin' words, son. :clint:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Yeah, maybe it wasn't as memorable as other entries in the series, but bad? Don't think so.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Not bad, absolute garbage.

Sorry, clearly this composer is very much not my style :(

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Uematsu-San... how could they do this to you... :negative:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

victrix posted:

Not bad, absolute garbage.

Sorry, clearly this composer is very much not my style :(

Hope you liked Otherworld from FFX if you manage to make it to FFXIII-2. :downs:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Krad posted:

Hope you liked Otherworld from FFX if you manage to make it to FFXIII-2. :downs:

:gonk:

This is a dark path I'm treading, littered with chocobo corpses, isn't it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

victrix posted:

:gonk:

This is a dark path I'm treading, littered with chocobo corpses, isn't it
Speaking of XIII-2's music and chocobos...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Thats a nice myspace remix, where's the real song

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

victrix posted:

Sure enough, the composer is Hamauzu, the dude who did Saga Frontier 2 (which had horrible battle music and a bunch of music I didn't like) and Unlimited Saga (see previous)

What the hell? Frontier 2 had like 4 battle themes and at least 3 boss themes and you didn't like any of them? You do at least like Mystic Quest's music, right? If not

Anyways, why is his music so horrible to you?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You're asking me to explain subjective music taste in text? :v:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I liked FFXIII-2's music specifically because it didn't sound like every other RPG I've played since they came on optical media. I feel like the sameness of most RPG soundtracks has pigeonholed players' preferences.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Never thought I'd hear someone call FFXIII's music bad, despite all the negative it (and by some extension, 13-2) receives, the music was always praised.

Dross posted:

I liked FFXIII-2's music specifically because it didn't sound like every other RPG I've played since they came on optical media. I feel like the sameness of most RPG soundtracks has pigeonholed players' preferences.

Yeah, I loved the music in both games but 13-2 especially had a really unique feel versus typical RPG music. I thought the vocal tracks were fantastic.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Rueish posted:

Yeah, I loved the music in both games but 13-2 especially had a really unique feel versus typical RPG music. I thought the vocal tracks were fantastic.

Especially Crazy Chocobo, and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Someone doesn't love Otherworld? What?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, you're not going to find a lot of agreement that FFXIII's music was 'loving horrible.' Even the worst of the worst commentary I've seen is "it's kind of generic and boring."

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, you're not going to find a lot of agreement that FFXIII's music was 'loving horrible.' Even the worst of the worst commentary I've seen is "it's kind of generic and boring."

That's a cardinal sin for a game like this - it doesn't help that music is a big part of any game for me personally, but listening to lounge music for X hours is not enhancing the experience, that's for sure.

And it's competing with, well, every other FF soundtrack. Standards :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

victrix posted:

That's a cardinal sin for a game like this - it doesn't help that music is a big part of any game for me personally, but listening to lounge music for X hours is not enhancing the experience, that's for sure.

And it's competing with, well, every other FF soundtrack. Standards :colbert:

If you honestly think Blinded By Light is lounge music then I don't know what to say except I'd like to know what lounges you've been to. v:shobon:v