Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, yeah, the plot is completely loving incoherent. Especially because they drop absolutely critical information in random NPC conversations or pre-battle dialogue (which isn't translated if you use Japanese voice options!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Morpheus posted:

I loved RoF. Spinning through the air, breaking every piece of an enemy's armor, finishing off with a huge tri-attack (or whatever they were called) where people are just tearing everything apart, yes. The beginning is kind of a pain in the rear end, since you don't get another SMG for a little while. Additionally, I find a big problem with the game is that despite the option of having multiple weapon choices, you're forced into having two characters dual-wielding SMGs, otherwise you just can't do damage worth poo poo.

The plot is weird, because unlike so many other games, your characters aren't the focus of it. They aren't the chosen ones, they aren't swept into it as children, it's just something they kind of wander into. Problem is that they do this in the final two or three chapters of the game, after the plot has progressed already. Even then, I had to look on Wikipedia to find out what the heck was actually happening. I would've just preferred The Adventures of the Kick-rear end Mercenaries Club, personally, rather than try to shoehorn a jRPG-ish plot in there.

Also, the weapon customizing is awesome. Yes, this SMG has twenty barrels, half of which point down and at least one of which is pointed back at the shooter. Nothing wrong with that.

I love the poo poo out of the weapon customization. Yes I can totally see down these four sights one in front of the other, why do you ask?

I've been talking myself out of reading the plot summary on Wikipedia until I finish the game. I'm drat near tempted to just skip every cutscene and pretend it's just a battle system demo.

When do you get a second (and third and fourth) SMG? I'm in Chapter 6 and no sign of one. I've only acquired one extra gun at all, the handgun for 100K in the Ebel City shop.

Also how does charge time and charge acceleration rate get calculated while dual wielding?

Dross fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 19, 2013

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hey! I'm currently looking for a long-form RPG to play. I recently just completed playthroughs of Dragon Age 2, (yeah I know.) Neverwinter Nights 2 OC, Mask of the Betrayer, and Knights of the Old Republic 2, but I'm still hungry for a long form RPG. Even a JRPG. Something new and I haven't tried before. I've done some googling around but I'd rather have some recommendations.

Some things I'm looking for towards recommendations:

1. Maybe not with a huge spotlight, or western RPG's as I've likely played those. Mass Effect, Dark Souls, Fallout, Final Fantasies, Deus Ex, Skyrim, Lost Odyssey, Tactics Ogre etc.
2. A servicable to good story
3. Relatively recent. Preferably on PC or Xbox, but I've got a PS3 60gb or PSP available and that's cool too.
4. Not Ni No Kuni. Yeah, I know. :doh:

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 19, 2013

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Hey! I'm currently looking for a long-form RPG to play. I recently just completed playthroughs of Dragon Age 2, (yeah I know.) Neverwinter Nights 2 OC, Mask of the Betrayer, and Knights of the Old Republic 2, but I'm still hungry for a long form RPG. Even a JRPG. Something new and I haven't tried before. I've done some googling around but I'd rather have some recommendations.

1. Maybe not with a huge spotlight, or western RPG's as I've likely played those. Mass Effect, Dark Souls, Fallout, Final Fantasies, Deus Ex, Skyrim, Lost Odyssey, Tactics Ogre etc.
3. Relatively recent. Preferably on PC or Xbox, but I've got a PS3 60gb or PSP available and that's cool too.

The Witcher 1 and 2? The second looks gorgeous and even has a branching depending on which route you go.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Dross posted:

I love the poo poo out of the weapon customization. Yes I can totally see down these four sights one in front of the other, why do you ask?

It's even sillier than that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Thank you for finding this. I just started poking through my pictures folder to find it. No RoF conversation is complete without that picture.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait, are you saying guns don't work like that?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dross posted:

I've been talking myself out of reading the plot summary on Wikipedia until I finish the game. I'm drat near tempted to just skip every cutscene and pretend it's just a battle system demo.

When do you get a second (and third and fourth) SMG? I'm in Chapter 6 and no sign of one. I've only acquired one extra gun at all, the handgun for 100K in the Ebel City shop.

Also how does charge time and charge acceleration rate get calculated while dual wielding?

You'll get your second SMG at the end of a place called the Dakota Vein, an optional dungeon. Another is available at the Ebel City shop in Chapter 12. The third is in a dungeon in Chapter 14, I think.

I wouldn't skip the cutscenes, since there is a story about the three characters, it just happens to have nothing to do with the rest of the overarching story that the game also has. They just go on adventures and shoot things while someone is trying to blow up the world (or whatever, I don't remember what the villain's goals are).

But seriously, you'll read the Wiki, and if you're anything like me, be like "Where the gently caress is any of this explained at all?"

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 19, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Drakensang: The River of Time? Got somewhat overlooked since the first one wasn't that good, but it's a huge improvement. Long and meaty, great character system, with a refreshingly low-key story - there's no ancient evil or world-threatening conspiracy here - and pretty good combat.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Drakensang: The River of Time? Got somewhat overlooked since the first one wasn't that good, but it's a huge improvement. Long and meaty, great character system, with a refreshingly low-key story - there's no ancient evil or world-threatening conspiracy here - and pretty good combat.

It's also drat pretty.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah I played the Witcher, love the series. Sperging out for #3. A few months before it comes out I'm gonna do a complete runthrough of both games and make my final decisions.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

That's a great suggestion thanks. But keep them coming I'd love to weigh my options. Edit: hell I'll grab it, why not?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 19, 2013

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I just mentally slapped myself because until now it did not occur to me to MOVE THE GUN ITSELF on the customization screen.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Well, we just kinda finished talking about Resonance of Fate, try it, if it clicks with you you'll waste way too many hours on it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Honest Thief posted:

Well, we just kinda finished talking about Resonance of Fate, try it, if it clicks with you you'll waste way too many hours on it.

It seems to be a love it or hate it kind of game though, with some people swearing by it and others thinking it's incredibly dull. So maybe rent it for a weekend to see which camp you're in before buying?

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
So what's a good JRPG for my Playstation 3? I really don't play that much games, but I'd love an rpg that can keep me busy for a while, but that I still can just play it for 30 minutes or an hour a day. Doesn't matter if it's not very new (better probably, so I can get it cheap!).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sjonkel posted:

So what's a good JRPG for my Playstation 3? I really don't play that much games, but I'd love an rpg that can keep me busy for a while, but that I still can just play it for 30 minutes or an hour a day. Doesn't matter if it's not very new (better probably, so I can get it cheap!).

Depends, what do you like?

Resonance of Fate was mentioned about. Ni No Kuni just came out.

... Not a lot else really.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Resonance of Fate is great for short sessions because it has a suspend option like a handheld RPG.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sjonkel posted:

Tales of Graces, Valkyria Chronicles.

e: Oh, man, how the hell did I forget Nier? Get that.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 19, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Tales of Graces, Valkyria Chronicles.

Oh yeah. Tales of Graces is great if you have tolerance for FRIENDSHIP and stupid plots.

VC is fun but gets pretty boring if you try to go for good scores.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Hmm, was it? I skipped it because Drakensang 1 was a mostly mediocre Neverwinter Nights clone. I know the sequel was a bit of departure but it looked like it was simply going a lot more light weight. It didn't help that the game bankrupted the studio.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Depends, what do you like?

Resonance of Fate was mentioned about. Ni No Kuni just came out.

... Not a lot else really.

I honestly don't even know what I like. Haven't really played jrpg's since the pc Final Fantasies. I guess if my ps3 can play ps2 games, that's an option also.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well if your ps3 can play ps2 games get Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Pretty much the best JRPG from the ps2 era.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Sjonkel posted:

There's also Star Ocean: THE LAST HOPE -International-

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Sjonkel posted:

I honestly don't even know what I like. Haven't really played jrpg's since the pc Final Fantasies. I guess if my ps3 can play ps2 games, that's an option also.

Here's some other (reasonably) good JRPGs for the PS3:

Disgaea 3 / 4 -- Turn-based strategy games, set in Hell. Noted for their weird sense of humor.
Atelier Totori / Rorona -- Semi-open ended adventuring game. Time progresses as you do things, and most goals are time-based.
Record of Agarest War 2 -- Turn based strategy in a fantasy kingdom. Part of the mechanic involves getting married, breeding, then controlling your offspring.
White Knight Chronicles -- Has a bunch of online play, and involves giant medieval robots.
Valkyria Chronicles -- Semi-real time strategy. I have no idea what the hell this game is about, but the plot seems like a weird Japanese cross between Command and Conquer and the Ring of the Niebelungs.
Tales of Graces F / Tales of Xillia -- The latest games in a never-ending series of classic RPGs.

Note that these games are all excessively Japanese; there's a good chance that you'll either love them or hate them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well if your ps3 can play ps2 games get Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Pretty much the best JRPG from the ps2 era.

If you have a PS3 you can buy the digital version of Persona 3 as well.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sjonkel posted:

Get Nier, its one of the best JRPGs of all time and far and away the most well written.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ImpAtom posted:

If you have a PS3 you can buy the digital version of Persona 3 as well.

Is it the updated PSP or the original PS2 version? I've been meaning to try a Persona game and I sure as hell ain't buying a Vita to play 4.

Accordion Man posted:

Get Nier, its one of the best JRPGs of all time and far and away the most well written.

While I like Nier a lot, I don't really think it fits in the traditional JRPG mold. Its plays more like a rather simplistic action game or something like Zelda.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

voltron lion force posted:

Is it the updated PSP or the original PS2 version? I've been meaning to try a Persona game and I sure as hell ain't buying a Vita to play 4.

Original PS2.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

PureRok posted:

There's also Star Ocean: THE LAST HOPE -International-

Don't even mention that game, it's awful.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

HollowClown posted:

Here's some other (reasonably) good JRPGs for the PS3:

White Knight Chronicles -- Has a bunch of online play, and involves giant medieval robots.

Make sure you get WKC2 though, if you do. It contains the entire first game + all the gameplay upgrades from the second. I don't know how active the online community is anymore, but I still recommend it.

EDIT: And Tales of Graces F is really, really fun to play with a friend even though they can only participate in combat. I played 2P with my best friend on his first playthroughs of both Vesperia and Graces F and it was a blast just because it gave me an excuse to use someone besides the hero.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Good christ man, don't shove him into the deep end of SMT games. Nocturne (Lucifer's Call in PAL regions) is one of the best, but it is hard. If you don't pick up the basis of the combat system as it explains in the tutorial, the game will kill you again and again until you learn.

If it can play PS2 games, Persona 4 is probably the best SMT game to start with, and it's an amazing JRPG in its own right. Easily one of my favourite games, and it will take at least 50 hours to get through. Persona 3 is good (Though get the FES version rather than the original), but P4 improves on everything. It's also stand-alone to P3, so you aren't missing an over-arching story of any kind.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yeah. Tales of Graces is great if you have tolerance for FRIENDSHIP and stupid plots.

VC is fun but gets pretty boring if you try to go for good scores.

Get the original Valkyria Chronicles and not the sequel on the PSP if you want to try it. The original has a really great story about the trouble of being stuck in a war in a WWII-esque setting, and it never sugarcoats how bad things can get (any units that go down and aren't rescued within three turns, save for all of four plot-centric characters out of a total roster of 50, are permadead). The graphics are gorgeous, and the gameplay's easy to learn. VC2... goes highschool drama at a military academy. It also has much smaller levels and squad sizes (six instead of ten).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SpazmasterX posted:

Make sure you get WKC2 though, if you do. It contains the entire first game + all the gameplay upgrades from the second. I don't know how active the online community is anymore, but I still recommend it.

Wait, what? What kind of sequel is that? Makes me curious on getting a PS3 for that (You know, when they drop down to 100 bucks....)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be clear, it is the FES verison of the PS2 game so it has improvments, but not all the improvements the PSP version has.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

But also none of the downgrades the psp version had in order to fit on the psp.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dis astranagant posted:

But also none of the downgrades the psp version had in order to fit on the psp.

I thought it lost a lot without the little emoting 3D models in cutscenes. I get why it had to be character portraits due to storage space, it's just that some cutscenes don't have the same impact without them.

Like seeing the protagonist resting his head on Aigis' lap while she talks to him on the school roof, just as he starts to feel a little sleepy... :ohdear:.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Tae posted:

Wait, what? What kind of sequel is that? Makes me curious on getting a PS3 for that (You know, when they drop down to 100 bucks....)

They made so many changes to the game between the first and second, that they decided to include the entire first game with all these changes built in. So unless you had already beaten WKC1 and had a game clear save, you had to start from the first game and play all the way through to the second since it takes place immediately after the end of the first, which didn't really have a proper ending.

It was a great deal for anyone that had played through the first game, since you got to start the second game with whatever Guild Rank you had, items, money, and equipment, a free skill respec, and you got to remake your Avatar entirely. All you had to deal with was your level being dialed back (because of the XP changes), which wasn't a big problem since they set you at a decent enough level for where 2 starts, and a place to buy equipment immediately available to you since you were most likely unable to equip the stuff you ended WKC1 in.

EDIT: Plus, WKC2 finally gave you what everyone wanted from the first one. Your Avatar's own giant, fully customizable, kickass magic robot with an anime as gently caress transformation sequence that changes depending on what type of weapon it has equipped. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l20tEp2Y-4

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 20, 2013

Umlaut
Jan 15, 2009
I never owned a PS2 and finally bought one recently. I'm slightly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of (J)RPGs available and almost bought Unlimited SaGa before reading some reviews. Is it really that bad?

Apart from that I picked up Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, Star Ocean 3, Wild Arms 3, Xenosaga II, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Shadow Hearts 2&3. That's probably more than enough games, but they were all so goddamn cheap. I skipped the other Xenosaga parts because they were never released here and Shadow Hearts 1 is more expensive used than a new, recently released game. I guess I'm trying to collect all decent/popular RPGs that aren't either extremely rare or available elsewhere. Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Haha you literally got the worst Xenosaga game.

You should also pick up Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Tales of the Abyss.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Haha you literally got the worst Xenosaga game.

You should also pick up Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Tales of the Abyss.

Only Episode 2 was ever released in EU territories, it came with a DVD of the cut-scenes for the first game. No-one bought it because we didn't get the first game, so they never bothered with the third game.

We didn't get Tales of the Abyss, either. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Sakurazuka posted:

Only Episode 2 was ever released in EU territories, it came with a DVD of the cut-scenes for the first game. No-one bought it because we didn't get the first game, so they never bothered with the third game.

We didn't get Tales of the Abyss, either. :(

We got the 3DS release at least