Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I haven't tried anything yet. The porting finally completed yesterday morning. She's on a separate account and I didn't see her yesterday. We'll try it later, thanks for saving me a trip!

Gotcha, I'm curious if it works for you. The cards being reusable must be a relatively new thing, because I remember that in the past, taking a SIM off your account would render it completely void and would necessitate a trip back to the store for a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

kitten smoothie posted:

Gotcha, I'm curious if it works for you. The cards being reusable must be a relatively new thing, because I remember that in the past, taking a SIM off your account would render it completely void and would necessitate a trip back to the store for a new one.
We ended up just going to the store anyway since we were already out for dinner. The dude at the store said that the SIM could not be reused, but that wouldn't have been the first time a Verizon employee flat-out lied to me. It took him about 20 minutes of fiddling around to get it switched over. I got to play with all the terrible tablets and phones in the store while we waited and confirmed that if I had to select a Verizon phone it would be the RAZR M.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What's the cost for a single smartphone with data on a family plan? I know it's the $30 for 2 gigs of data, but is the charge for an extra line $5 or $10? More?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's the cost for a single smartphone with data on a family plan? I know it's the $30 for 2 gigs of data, but is the charge for an extra line $5 or $10? More?

$40 for each smartphone on a share everything plan. $30 for dumb phone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FCKGW posted:

$40 for each smartphone on a share everything plan. $30 for dumb phone.

I'll be on my own data plan, not a share everything plan (nobody else on the family plan has a smartphone/wants one) so I'm just gonna stick with the personal $30 2GB data plan.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'll be on my own data plan, not a share everything plan (nobody else on the family plan has a smartphone/wants one) so I'm just gonna stick with the personal $30 2GB data plan.

If you're on a nationwide 700/1400/2000 the line access is $9.99 and $30/2GB Data = $39.99+tax

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
How long does it take for sites like wirefly to reflect changes on your account that you made on Verizon.com?

I changed my mom and dad's family plan from the old Nationwide one to the new Share everything one. Wirefly is still acting like they're under the old plan though. I only did it like 15 minutes ago, so I guess I'm just wondering.

E: Nvm didn't see the "keep existing features" option.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 16, 2013

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

I know this has been brought up before, and I apologize for bringing it up again but I want to make sure I'm clear on the process.

I'm on a family plan with my dad and mom. I have unlimited data and they both have dumbphones. I want to upgrade from my Droid X to a Razr Maxx HD. My understanding is I can go to a Verizon store, have my dad upgrade his phone to the Maxx HD at the subsidy price, then immediately re-activate his old dumbphone and cancel the data plan. Then I would activate the Maxx HD on my line, without losing the unlimited data.

Am I correct in that we won't be charged an ETF for canceling the data plan right away? Will they do all this for us in store? I also remember reading something about a 24 hour wait, will I have to wait to activate the Maxx HD or can they just do everything right away for us?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Ivan Dolvich posted:

Am I correct in that we won't be charged an ETF for canceling the data plan right away? Will they do all this for us in store? I also remember reading something about a 24 hour wait, will I have to wait to activate the Maxx HD or can they just do everything right away for us?
Yes you are correct. They may or may not be willing to do the legwork for you. Ask if they're willing to do the post upgrade swap, if you get any answer other than, "sure no problem" just do it yourself online from your myverizon account. If you end up doing that, ask them for an extra microSIM.

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

SeaborneClink posted:

Yes you are correct. They may or may not be willing to do the legwork for you. Ask if they're willing to do the post upgrade swap, if you get any answer other than, "sure no problem" just do it yourself online from your myverizon account. If you end up doing that, ask them for an extra microSIM.

Awesome, thank you!

Update: So I went to the store with my dad. They didn't want to do the post upgrade swap for us so we went home and did it online. The process was fairly easy although when I activated the new phone on my line, it went through fine online but I couldn't make/receive calls on my new phone. I contacted support and they said because I had my calls forwarded (I use google voice for voicemail) the activation got screwed up. So they reset it and everything seems to be working fine.

Next question: Can anyone recommend a micro-usb cable for charging? The one that came with the phone is so short. I had bought some generic ones for my Droid X a while back, but they don't seem to fit either phone properly. I always had problems where it wouldn't charge properly since the connection was too loose.

Ivan Dolvich fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 18, 2013

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was talking to some coworkers today, and while I take pretty much everything they say with a large grain of salt I'd just like to get confirmation on this. Coworker told me that when she went to Verizon to ask about new phones, she was told that making any changes to her account, including swapping phones, would cause her to lose unlimited data. I was under the impression that if you pay full price or pick up a phone somewhere, i.e. not a subsidized phone your unlimited is safe. Was she just being fed a line by some dude at the Verizon counter or is this true?

This is relevant to me because I've been thinking about swapping my Razr for a Razr Maxx and was just going to buy a used or refurbished one. I'd really rather not drop the cash for a phone only to find out that I can't even swap my phone now without killing my unlimited data.

fake edit: I just asked and she was going from a 3G phone to a 4G phone AND was using an upgrade, so I'm like 99.9% sure she has no idea what she's talking about. I still want to check before I buy a phone though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Everything I've read about this says that the rep was full of poo poo. Did she go to a corp store or a 3rd party? I've noticed that the 3rd party people tend to be a bit worse about it.

Currently, switching from a CDMA to LTE phone shouldn't be an issue, and if you buy it outright you should be able to go to any corporate store and get a SIM without issue.

The salt you need to take is that she probably didn't specify that the only question she likely asked was "What happens when I buy this phone for $50 or get this free one", which all use subsidies, which WILL move you to tiered or shared data.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Ed Mungo posted:

I was talking to some coworkers today, and while I take pretty much everything they say with a large grain of salt I'd just like to get confirmation on this. Coworker told me that when she went to Verizon to ask about new phones, she was told that making any changes to her account, including swapping phones, would cause her to lose unlimited data.

Rep is wrong, stupid, ignorant, or just a normal cell phone rep who has no loving clue what he's doing.

Upgrades; lose unlimited data. Everything else: keep unlimited data.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Once I explained what a subsidy was she was like "oh yeah I did that" so... :v:

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I bought an HTC 8X at full retail (month to month) price, I retained my unlimited data.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Any form of upgrade for a line that has an unlimited data feature on it, will automatically cause the feature to be expired.

Ex. 1
(123)456-7890 is eligible 2/5/13 and upgrades on 2/18/13, this will replace the unlimited feature with the 2GB/$30 option.

Ex. 2
(111)111-1111 broke/lost phone but isn't eligible for upgrade until 9/15/13
(222)222-2222 has upgrade available since 12/23/12

Alternate upgrade performed 2222->1111 will remove 2222's unl. feature and replace with 2GB/$30, meanwhile 1111 keeps unl. feature

Also bear in mind that changing from a nationwide 700/1400/2000/unl to Share Everything will remove all data features on the account and replace them with appropriate line level access charges ($40 smartphone or $30 feature)

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Any phones worth waiting for on Verizon or should I grab the RAZR Maxx HD? Battery life is pretty important to me.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

MWC is next week, surely things will be announced...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

wandler20 posted:

Any phones worth waiting for on Verizon or should I grab the RAZR Maxx HD? Battery life is pretty important to me.

I racked my mind for a while between the Maxx HD and the Note 2 and ended up going with the Note 2. Extra $50, bit less battery, but much better specs.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

EvilMoFo posted:

MWC is next week, surely things will be announced...

Galaxy S 4 will be out eventually

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

wandler20 posted:

If battery life is that important to you, I'd say grab that maxx. Its been proven to have great battery life.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

If battery life is that important to you, I'd say grab that maxx. Its been proven to have great battery life.

Seriously. I can easily get 2-3 days battery life out of mine and that's with all the goofy poo poo like Google Now location services turned on.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Any chance of the note 2 seeing a discount by the end of next month? $300 with subsidy is pretty steep and my brother said our employee account won't do amazon (which has the note 2 significantly cheaper).

I'm still getting that sexy, sexy phone in 30 days but I wouldn't mind paying a bit less, $300 is definitely gonna hurt my savings. Throw in the cost of a good case and misc acessories and ill sprobably spend more than $350 on my next phone. :sigh:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KingSlime posted:

Any chance of the note 2 seeing a discount by the end of next month? $300 with subsidy is pretty steep and my brother said our employee account won't do amazon (which has the note 2 significantly cheaper).

I'm still getting that sexy, sexy phone in 30 days but I wouldn't mind paying a bit less, $300 is definitely gonna hurt my savings. Throw in the cost of a good case and misc acessories and ill sprobably spend more than $350 on my next phone. :sigh:

Wait til may?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Sam's Club has it for $99, LetsTalk has it for $199, Amazon has it for $150, and even Best Buy price-matches online prices.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah but according to my brother employee lines have to go directly through vzw. Can anyone comfirm this?

He does tech support for them so he probably knows for sure but a part of me hopes he's wrong.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

KingSlime posted:

Yeah but according to my brother employee lines have to go directly through vzw. Can anyone comfirm this?

He does tech support for them so he probably knows for sure but a part of me hopes he's wrong.

Why don't you just try it and see if it works? If it doesn't, you go to VZW and get it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Fair point. Plus, I asked a chat agent on VZW.com who assured me there'd be no problem. I still plan on asking an actual rep via the customer support option on my phone (since I believe it automatically connects me to Employee Accounts support) but I imagine the worse that will happen if I try is that VZW will not authorize the upgrade or something, prompting amazon to cancel my order.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

KingSlime posted:

I imagine the worse that will happen if I try is that VZW will not authorize the upgrade or something, prompting amazon to cancel my order.

You won't even make it that far. Their website will say 'sorry we can't support your account'

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SIM-swapping question:

Is there somewhere on my online account where I can swap SIMs around? I have two phones that use different sized SIMs, and rather than pick up an adapter or try and do the wedge-thing, I'd love it if there was a way online I could just change the SIM ID attached to my line when I wanted to swap around.

That would also remove the need to keep popping the backs off of my phones.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Someone told me that you can buy a prepaid tablet sim card (with the $20 per month/1 GB per month plan), activate the sim on a tablet, then insert that sim card into a phone and use data on the phone. And this works as long as the phone has 4G. Is that true?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Came to ask about keeping unlimited data and it was already answered on this page. Thanks, everyone.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
So I don't know how relevant this is to anyone here but I just checked with an employee accounts customer service rep and he told me that yeah, I definitely can't get a phone through a third party vendor. :smith:

Oh well, I guess I'll have to shell out the full $300 for the Note 2. There's a few slightly cheaper alternatives but I've been set on the Note 2 after watching just a few youtube vids and playing with one at a store. It's a little tablet!

The Roll
Aug 14, 2006
Let them eat bread!
So I'm not sure exactly where I could find this out without asking verizon, but I broke the screen (and I guess what I can only say is the "ion transmitter" according to google? the screen only lights up maybe the first 4 line of pixels at the top)of my GS3 back in October of last year and switched back to my old droid X as I couldn't afford to have it fixed at the time. I do have insurance on my line, and now I finally have the funds to pay for repairs. Would my phone still be covered under insurance?

My mother told me (I have my line on a family plan) that when she spoke to verizon about my sister's iphone needing the screen replaced that they get "angry" if you don't report a break like this right away. Given how long it's been (5 months) would it better for me to just say I lost it and figured I wouldn't find it? Or would it be better to just fess up and say it's been broken for a while? I understand I'll have to pay a hefty deductible but Verizon was very kind to me and my various Droid Xs (I went through 4 before I finally got one that has stayed amazingly strong for the past 3 years) so I would prefer to keep it under warranty if that's possible. Thanks for any help or guidance.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Roll posted:

So I'm not sure exactly where I could find this out without asking verizon, but I broke the screen (and I guess what I can only say is the "ion transmitter" according to google? the screen only lights up maybe the first 4 line of pixels at the top)of my GS3 back in October of last year and switched back to my old droid X as I couldn't afford to have it fixed at the time. I do have insurance on my line, and now I finally have the funds to pay for repairs. Would my phone still be covered under insurance?

My mother told me (I have my line on a family plan) that when she spoke to verizon about my sister's iphone needing the screen replaced that they get "angry" if you don't report a break like this right away. Given how long it's been (5 months) would it better for me to just say I lost it and figured I wouldn't find it? Or would it be better to just fess up and say it's been broken for a while? I understand I'll have to pay a hefty deductible but Verizon was very kind to me and my various Droid Xs (I went through 4 before I finally got one that has stayed amazingly strong for the past 3 years) so I would prefer to keep it under warranty if that's possible. Thanks for any help or guidance.

Ya you can still claim it. I'm using a sgs3 while paying for insurance on my broken RAZR maxx. I'll claim my maxx when its worth it.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
If there's Asurion, just remember that Asurion says you have to make the claim within a few months. Otherwise you should be fine.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Does insurance get hosed if you temporarily swap devices? I have a RAZR HD and have Asurion on it. If I swap the SIM into my old Galaxy Nexus for a day or two to test an app I'm writing on a different device and then switch back, would that count as an equipment switch and kill the insurance on the RAZR?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 23, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

kitten smoothie posted:

Does insurance get hosed if you temporarily swap devices? I have a RAZR HD and have Asurion on it. If I swap the SIM into my old Galaxy Nexus for a day or two to test an app I'm writing on a different device and then switch back, would that count as an equipment switch and kill the insurance on the RAZR?

No. I've swapped my gnex and razr maxx a thousand times. My Razr Maxx is still the insured device. In fact, I'm using a SGS3 now on that same line. If I call Asurion they will replace my Maxx. You using other equipment should not effect the insured device. Just swap back to it prior to calling Asurion so they dont have to look up the IMEI. Worst case, Verizon can note an account of the purchase date of a device. Now this is all assuming the phones were bought at a Corporate Location. I have no idea how indirects and poo poo worth internally with verizon. At AT&T We had no idea what phone was really the activated lines phone, most indirects didnt even manually swap IMEIs on warranty stuff. It was always a mess.

SO Yes, IF your stuff was purchased at COR, I can 99% guarantee you'll be fine.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yep, corporate store, and I've still got a copy of the receipt (which I'm 99% sure has the IMEI printed on it) as proof I was the original buyer and when it was purchased, if it really came down to that. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, since I haven't seen this posted here yet - if you buy a Motorola phone between February 18 and March 4, there's a mail-in rebate for a $50 Play store gift card.

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/Google-Play-Credit/Google-Play-Credit,en_US,pg.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kitten smoothie posted:

Yep, corporate store, and I've still got a copy of the receipt (which I'm 99% sure has the IMEI printed on it) as proof I was the original buyer and when it was purchased, if it really came down to that. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, since I haven't seen this posted here yet - if you buy a Motorola phone between February 18 and March 4, there's a mail-in rebate for a $50 Play store gift card.

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/Google-Play-Credit/Google-Play-Credit,en_US,pg.html

My parents both bought Razr Ms on the 16th. Missed it by 2 days :(

• Locked thread