Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Does the League only communicate in game with the provided chat and/or IRC? cKnoor's pupils have inspired me to look into and pick up the game.

We coordinate almost entirely in IRC. You'll only occasionally bump into someone in the goon league if you look in-game alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Random Hajile posted:

We coordinate almost entirely in IRC. You'll only occasionally bump into someone in the goon league if you look in-game alone.

That's what I gathered for pre-game organization, but during the actual games, how much communication goes on?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

That's what I gathered for pre-game organization, but during the actual games, how much communication goes on?

A decent amount. We tend to be relatively chatty with each other. A few of us like to use Skype during matches, too.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Random Hajile posted:

A decent amount. We tend to be relatively chatty with each other. A few of us like to use Skype during matches, too.

^This is correct. Skype is useful to have for Blood Bowl, mostly because it's fun to hear your opponent's rage/entertain your opponent with your rage at failing 2+ rolls and your players dying. It's also nice to have someone to discuss just how bullshit that last Skaven play was with.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, I think it's worth noting that there's a pretty active goon community in BB, with new people joining quite often. Surprisingly, Goons are even happy to help new people start teams and help them learn the basics (while killing their team).

IRC (see the first page for details) is definitely where to go to organise a match and to add your team into the goon specific league (Giant Goon League).

I think most importantly though, is that Goons aren't terrible pubbies, and so you won't be playing pure murder teams (mostly) and people won't rage quit (mostly) for no reason. It's actually a pretty good community of people.

Also, there's Spiro.

Ferret Glow
Jan 25, 2010

SuperTaunt is the best thing in video games.
I have given up searching for help on this, but I got chaos edition a few days ago, and it crashes on load every time.

I have done everything every site I have looked through suggested; drivers all up to date; tried manually running the VS and directX redist. tried changing compatibility and permissions, made sure steam had full permissions in registry, reinstalled and checked cache half a dozen times...

I'm running on a phenom II X4 with 4GB ram and a high end nvidia card.

I don't get why this game has to have such horrible programming...

anyone have any clue in hell how to fix this? Or how to actually get a refund.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'd post and ask on cyanide's forums, never heard of someone with that problem.

uPen fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 19, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Does it say anything interesting when it crashes?

I imagine if you send a bunch of crash reports and whine pathetically to the Steam people they might refund it.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

It's kind of a dumb question, but does Legendary Edition still have a playerbase at all?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
LE and CE are cross-compatible, so yes. You just can't play as three of the teams.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Oh that's actually really awesome to hear. I'm totally going to reinstall this then.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Battle Hamster posted:

Make that 4/6 after a win via disconnect. But that 2nd skill up got him +str, so now I am very amused.

So, str 4 with block and on his way to guard? Sounds hilariously overpowered to me! Your line will soon be VERY hard to crack... :P

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

LibbyM posted:

It's kind of a dumb question, but does Legendary Edition still have a playerbase at all?

As ^^^^ said, they are compatible. So you can play with the CE people and vice versa. Also, if you already have LE, you can get CE for only :10bux: if you really need more dorfs, a made up by Cyanide team full of frenzy and that other team I've seen noone at all play ever (Underworld?).

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Markovnikov posted:

As ^^^^ said, they are compatible. So you can play with the CE people and vice versa. Also, if you already have LE, you can get CE for only :10bux: if you really need more dorfs, a made up by Cyanide team full of frenzy and that other team I've seen noone at all play ever (Underworld?).

Underworld actually isn't terrible. Goblins with two heads and skaven blitzers with claw/PO/MB are decent. Problem is your whole team is AV 7...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

There's also Animosity to deal with. But yeah, Underworld is the second "best" stunty team (after halflings).

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Forums Terrorist posted:

There's also Animosity to deal with. But yeah, Underworld is the second "best" stunty team (after halflings).

You misspelled "Goblins".

But yeah, UW look barely playable (maybe that's worse? Halflings look so bad as to be unplayable and that compels you to try them). It's just that I've never seen anyone play them, maybe because CE is still newish. We'll probably get one on the current LP.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Halfers get trees. which allows them to semi-reliably TTM, also the master chef is devastating if you're lucky. Also I've killed more players with my halfers than anyone, all tremble before their tiny, tiny boots.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

deathbagel posted:

Underworld actually isn't terrible. Goblins with two heads and skaven blitzers with claw/PO/MB are decent. Problem is your whole team is AV 7...

Isn't underworld kind the worst of both worlds? Goblins without special weapons, Skaven without gunners, and a dash of "can't pass" and "worst big guy" sprinkled on for good measure? I mean, I suppose the skaven players give some reliability compared to Goblins but that's not why you play Goblins. And I don't see why you'd want a troll instead of a rogre and goblins instead of gunners, comparing them to Skaven.

At least they're not snotlings, I guess :shobon:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

They're a stunty team with mutation access, that's actually a pretty potent combo.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

Isn't underworld kind the worst of both worlds? Goblins without special weapons, Skaven without gunners, and a dash of "can't pass" and "worst big guy" sprinkled on for good measure? I mean, I suppose the skaven players give some reliability compared to Goblins but that's not why you play Goblins. And I don't see why you'd want a troll instead of a rogre and goblins instead of gunners, comparing them to Skaven.

The big selling point to Underworld is normal mutation access. Goblins with two heads are the best dodgers in the game. Add horns or big hand for a seriously bullshit ball fetcher/blitzer. Claw means your stormvermin are crazy dangerous and tentacles become a fun option for big guys. Mutations in general just open up a lot of really nifty strategies.

That said, Underworld is definitely not a top tier team, but they bring some really unique and hilarious gimicks to the game. Frankly, that's enough reason to justify their inclusion for me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Muscle Tracer posted:

You say that like snotlings are bad. It's been proven that the best ogre team is one that consists of 16 snotlings, snotlings own.

And you want goblins instead of gunners because underworld aren't supposed to win as often as skaven, they're fun and dumb and they blow up real nice.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

uPen posted:

You say that like snotlings are bad. It's been proven that the best ogre team is one that consists of 16 snotlings, snotlings own.

Counterpoint: grandfathered LRB4 all-Ogre squads

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

For all the bad things with cyanide, it really is a great job that they made the versions cross compatible, that was really well thought out. First match back I got to fight a Khorne.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

LibbyM posted:

For all the bad things with cyanide, it really is a great job that they made the versions cross compatible, that was really well thought out. First match back I got to fight a Khorne.

Any real developer would have DLC hooks, and not release the same client plus a little extra.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I'd argue that ten dollars for 3 new races is pretty standard dlc pricing judging by like, the price of extra characters in fighting games. They just get to also call it a new game and get some new blood into the multiplayer this way.

Ferret Glow
Jan 25, 2010

SuperTaunt is the best thing in video games.

uPen posted:

I'd post and ask on cyanide's forums, never heard of someone with that problem.

It's the first thing listed on every Faq and tech support forum list I can find. So it is not just me, this is common enough that they bothered to list like a dozen things that might be the fault, all of which I tried to no avail.

Also cyanide doesn't do poo poo for Blood Bowl support, they send you to the publisher.

Like I said, I did everything listed as a fix for this problem and none of it changed anything.

As for contacting steam for a refund... How?

I can't find any way to contact them, i just get sent to cyanide.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ferret Glow posted:

As for contacting steam for a refund... How?

I can't find any way to contact them, i just get sent to cyanide.

https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php would probably be a good place to start.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Have some interesting links regarding team building and balancing costs that went into team creation.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
So, I'm trying to set up a League for some of my friends, with a seasonal play to it; I don't really understand the League styles other than Open League in the options. I've been looking online for some descriptions, but I can't find anything useful.

Is there a difference? Or is it just a cosmetic name change? Does it change the face-off brackets at all? :psyduck:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Circle Nine posted:

Have some interesting links regarding team building and balancing costs that went into team creation.

I always thought the way these guidelines work is kind of bullshit because it makes teams with more expensive positionals inherently better since you get a discount on skills and stats once your cost goes over 100k.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Zombie #246 posted:

So, I'm trying to set up a League for some of my friends, with a seasonal play to it; I don't really understand the League styles other than Open League in the options. I've been looking online for some descriptions, but I can't find anything useful.

Is there a difference? Or is it just a cosmetic name change? Does it change the face-off brackets at all? :psyduck:

What kind of league do you want? If you just want a place where you and your friends can play pickup matches you'd want Open League. If you want a true league structure with seasons and playoffs and a championship you want Cup. In cup, every team plays every other team once and then the top X teams play in a playoff to determine the winner.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Circle Nine posted:

quote:

2) Please note … the above rules will NOT allow you to create 4 of the official teams … namely the Dwarf, Goblin, Chaos Pact and Lizardman teams. The Goblin and Dwarf teams because they have weapons on the roster, Chaos Pact because they have too many slots (7) and the Lizardman team because it has 70k of team discount (10k discount each on the 0-6 Saurus and the 0-1 Kroxigor).

I knew Lizardmen were OP! Also, more teams need Secret Weapon.

Joking aside, this makes me wonder if we'll ever get new rules or rosters for BB (Khorne doesn't count). Given what I learned recently of the fiasco surrounding LRB6 and why those half in teams (Slann, Underworld, Chaos Pact) exist in only a semi official way, I doubt it.

Where there any crazy rules in older editions? I keep discovering skills in the current edition that I never see anywhere and seem like left overs (Stakes and Titchy).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Markovnikov posted:

I knew Lizardmen were OP! Also, more teams need Secret Weapon.

Joking aside, this makes me wonder if we'll ever get new rules or rosters for BB (Khorne doesn't count). Given what I learned recently of the fiasco surrounding LRB6 and why those half in teams (Slann, Underworld, Chaos Pact) exist in only a semi official way, I doubt it.

Where there any crazy rules in older editions? I keep discovering skills in the current edition that I never see anywhere and seem like left overs (Stakes and Titchy).

Well, Snotlings are Titchy, and afaik the star player Zara the Slayer is the only player with Stakes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Markovnikov posted:

There have been so many crazy rules; as much as people bitch about the game not being that well balanced it's worlds ahead of previous versions, especially when it comes to roster balance (LRB4 khemri was insane)

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The early rules, with the yellow star players book, and the red book in particular, were the best.

There was an actual referee, who moved around the pitch, and you could knock him over, and do whatever the hell you wanted while he was down. Your player would be sent off once the ref stood back up, unless he died, but you could have a lot of fun with the rules, such as touchdowns not counting while he was down, etc. You could argue calls, too.

The red book also had official rules for using downs and punting. No-one used the downs rule, but plenty of us included the punting rules, kickers were seriously OP for a couple of years.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 21, 2013

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Tell me more Grogranrd Grampas :allears:. Where there any editions before LRB1 or is that the original one? I'd like to red the older books (I was able to find the more recent LRB's) but I'm guessing those are :filez:.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Well, Snotlings are Titchy, and afaik the star player Zara the Slayer is the only player with Stakes.

So Snotlings are Stunty AND Titchy. They are even worst than I thought. Do those stack? If so, they at least can dodge like crazy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yes, they stack. Snotlings are a 2+ dodge anywhere.

Not that it really helps with the whole "slow and amazingly squishy" thing.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde
I'm not sure I've posted about this before but I've made some beginner level guides to Blood Bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV3kQuapaTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqTjTx6923U

They are really basic but people that have little to no clue how Blood Bowl works seems to like them.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I just won my new halfling team's inaugural match. It was against vampires who are, like halflings, a garbage team. So not a big accomplishment.

The enemy vampire player had 6 vampires. This is far too many vampires right? It seemed like, as much as vampires are great units, he was extremely limited by his low number of thralls as far as bloodlust went. There was a point where he only had 3 thralls left on the pitch, and he really couldn't do much because they were tied up with my trees and stuff, leaving his vampires unable to freely move most places on the pitch.

What do people think the right Vampire to Thrall ratio is?

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
6 vamps is a hard game at any TV, but at low levels it's really rough because you've probably not got any Pro either.

• Locked thread