Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah this movie rules. Can anybody recommend any other 80'/90's movies set in the future, good or bad?

Anyway Takashi Miike's Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai and The Imposter, a documentary about a man claiming to be a family's missing 13 year old son several years later, are now up. I haven't gotten a chance to see either one yet, but both are supposed to be really good.

I haven't seen the remake yet, but I have to also recommend the original Hara Kiri if you haven't seen it. It starts off with a bang, and I really loved it and would recommend it to anyone who's down with B&W foreign films. This is a slight derail, since unfortunately I don't think it's on Hulu criterion streaming nor Netflix, but I mention it because someone else who saw the Miike remake hadn't even heard of the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I haven't seen the remake yet, but I have to also recommend the original Hara Kiri if you haven't seen it. It starts off with a bang, and I really loved it and would recommend it to anyone who's down with B&W foreign films. This is a slight derail, since unfortunately I don't think it's on Hulu criterion streaming nor Netflix, but I mention it because someone else who saw the Miike remake hadn't even heard of the original.

I believe the original is on Hulu Plus.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Watch The Imposter at your earliest convenience. It is fantastic.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Are you guys sure about The Imposter being available? I can't check my account at work, but neither Moreflicks or Instantwatcher have it listed.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ChocNitty posted:

For fans of martial arts cinema, check out Shaolin Grandma.

Just a reminder that BKO: Bangkok Knock Out I still streaming.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Junkie Disease posted:

Watching it sure backed up my fears that this was a movie made in 4 days as some sort of scam. I wish I knew how this scam works.
Natural Lighting most the time, imovie title sequence, credits, and the cheapest special effects I have ever seen. No love went into any aspect of this film. Its not even funny bad its just boring as hell. Whats frighting is there seems to be a whole bunch of these added of the past month to netflix.
Jesus look at the director David DeCoteau's page
http://movies.netflix.com/WiRoleDisplay?personid=20000211&locale=en-US
Is this just a simple "filling up walmart" shelves? How does this make money?
Edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_DeCoteau Even better, Corman's understudy 25 years 90 pictures. Film, Set, crap.
I just saw this. HOW the gently caress can a person be so consistently crappy and continue to make movies? Is he funding them himself and using their failures as a tax write off like in the movie The Producers?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

kuddles posted:

Are you guys sure about The Imposter being available? I can't check my account at work, but neither Moreflicks or Instantwatcher have it listed.

I just added it to my instant queue.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Don't worry, the whole movie is just a big leadup to the dumbest punchline for the dumbest joke in movie history as the last line. It's like something a baby would write.
Here's what Harlan Ellison had to say about the movie/that last line (see specifically the last long paragraph):

The boy was touched by the girl. He had never experienced love, merely sex or lust, and the only love he knew was for Blood, a dog. So he is confused, betwixt and between with this girl. And she is ruthless. Far more ruthless even than Vic, who isn't awfully bright (the dog is the smart one), but who knows that to stay alive, Blood must survive and thrive. Yes, in that blasted world of extremely hard choices and no sentimentality, he opts to keep the instrument of his survival alive, at the cost of losing a person who has betrayed him, shown callous disregard for Blood, manipulated him...but none of that matters. She could've been Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, the sweetest and bravest person who ever lived. Blood must take precedence. This isn't misogynistic, nor even--at this point--misanthropic; it is simple flat-out survival. What needs to be done MUST be done.

It is the emblematic exercise in understanding what happens to societies when they go down that road. It is the dramatization of the basic concept of cultural barbarism.

But...

And this is what gets left behind in the explanations...

The boy never touches the meat.

He carries some of it wrapped-up for Blood...but...THE BOY NEVER TOUCHES A BITE OF THE MEAT!!

It's not that subtle a coda. Yes, he's been reduced to a state where human and animal have exchanged places--where Blood represents culture and knowledge and memory and civilization and loyalty and bravery and ethical behavior--and Vic is one step up from a nose-picking, gun-toting, simplistic, thoughtless and vengeful, primordial foraging creature--but somehow, magically, somewhichway, inexplicably, that core of humanity within us, no matter how bludgeoned and insensate, that nubbin of love and glory and godlike grandeur that exists at the smoldering core of the human condition...that sensitive place has, for the first time outside of love for Blood, been touched. He has been changed. Conscience has been awakened in Vic.

And THAT is what "A Boy and His Dog" is all about.

It's what fiction is all about, in its most responsible form. Limning the change in a human being from the beginning of the story to its end. Vic is a different person. How much, remains to be seen; but his humanity has been touched, in a totally inhumane world. Vic DOES NOT EAT ANY OF THE MEAT! That is the clue that leads the careful reader to "understanding" the story. And it's in the movie. It's there. Blood hobbles toward the horizon, his wounds bandaged with Quilla June's wedding dress rags...but he says to Vic, "You didn't touch the meat." Vic mumbles something. And then...THEN, dammit!...then comes that moronic, hateful chauvinist last line, which I despise, and which I urge audiences to ignore, the line I could never get LQ Jones to delete, because when he tested the film at colleges, that line was the biggest applause-getter from all the frat boys and jocks and rear end in a top hat college wimps who were nothing better than Vics-in-waiting. The most important point, the insight, the raison d'etre of what has been, on the surface, nothing more than a violent action-adventure movie, is buried, immolated, crushed beneath the cheap manipulative demeaning and hateful smartass retort that Blood would NEVER NEVER NEVER have spoken. He is too decent and noble and sensitive to have made a bad pun at the expense of a human being's death. I despise it!

Ignore that last line, introduced by LQ; and read the story. The last line of the story is what one should carry away. That, and the point of the story/film...

THE BOY NEVER EATS THE MEAT!

So take that for what you will.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 20, 2013

daveturnip
Sep 18, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

I just saw this. HOW the gently caress can a person be so consistently crappy and continue to make movies? Is he funding them himself and using their failures as a tax write off like in the movie The Producers?

I watched "A Talking Cat!?!" which was amazing. Was tempted to watch Christmas Puppy but couldn't find it on IMDB so looked it up on Amazon. Apparently, despite the cover and the title, the film doesn't even have a puppy in it!

Still tempted to watch it though to ensure I know what's going on when I manage to track down The Great Halloween Puppy Adventure and An Easter Bunny Puppy!

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The reviews for Christmas Puppy on Netflix Streaming are hilarious.

Warm und Fuzzy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 21, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Here's what Harlan Ellison had to say about the movie/that last line (see specifically the last long paragraph):

Yeah, something bugged me about that line in the movie, and it seemed so out of place given what came before. Vic was a simpleton, and completely driven by lust and hunger, but there are parts when his humanity shines through. Blood is the opposite. He's driven by intellect, but completely lacks humanity. The only human being or living creature of any kind he cares about is Vic, and always does what he thinks is in his partner's best interests. But even given that, the last line from Blood just seems out-of-character, not to mention the fact that it's a groan-worthy pun and doesn't really fit the tone of the film.

Harlan Ellison may be cantankerous, or crazy, probably also fairly sexist, but I don't think A Boy and His Dog is meant to be taken as some kind of celebration of misogyny. Vic is not "the hero" or even "a hero", he's just the protagonist of a story about a desperate, fictional dystopian future where psychic dogs are keepers and protectors of dimwitted, primitive young men.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tewratomeh posted:

Harlan Ellison may be...probably also fairly sexist

He has a pretty infamous reputation for creeping on women at sci-fi conventions, like some kind of wee little grope goblin.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Harlan Ellison is an antagonistic weirdo but also pretty socially aware, so yeah probably not a rape advocate. However, this conclusion is based solely on my slog through Memos from Purgatory.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Just finished House of Cards and I thought it was well done and intriguing, kind of like the west wing with a sinister plot. I didn't love it like my favorite movies and shows, but I rated it 5 anyway because I want to encourage Netflix to keep down the path of producing good shows themselves. I like the whole process and delivery more than I liked the show itself. Can't wait to see Arrested Development.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I thought the series decided to go down a weird path when Frank killed Peter. Pretty hard to go back to being a "loveable rogue" after that, especially because Peter was a fairly sympathetic guy despite all his fuckups. Not sure if that is in the original series, I should check that out.

Enjoyed the series though, did the usual thing of binge viewing it over a couple nights.

vvvv drat sorry man :(

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

OH GOD DAMNIT I LOOKED AT THAT SPOILER WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT IT FUCCCCCCCCCCCCK

Edit: Not your fault, I'm just an idiot.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 21, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

priznat posted:

I thought the series decided to go down a weird path when Frank killed Peter. Pretty hard to go back to being a "loveable rogue" after that, especially because Peter was a fairly sympathetic guy despite all his fuckups. Not sure if that is in the original series, I should check that out.

Enjoyed the series though, did the usual thing of binge viewing it over a couple nights.

I dunno, I think I'm still rooting for him even though he's obviously a monster because I respect how good he is at the things he does. I want to see all his insane planning come to fruition, although I imagine it won't.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

priznat posted:

I've never understood this criticism in any of the shows it's come up for. The guy's an antihero, he never seemed as tame as a "loveable rogue" to me. He was destroying careers and taking advantage of people all over the place, not causing minor trouble.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

User-Friendly posted:

I've never understood this criticism in any of the shows it's come up for. The guy's an antihero, he never seemed as tame as a "loveable rogue" to me. He was destroying careers and taking advantage of people all over the place, not causing minor trouble.

Well, it just seemed to go beyond how the character was initially introduced. "Getting even" with people who screwed him over is one thing, but this seemed to be going to a whole new level. The talking directly to the audience in asides shtick draws you in and then the floor sort of drops out and it's a bit of a disconnect.

Still enjoy the show though, and it's going to be fun rooting for the journalists to unravel the nefarious deeds.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Me in Reverse posted:

OH GOD DAMNIT I LOOKED AT THAT SPOILER WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT IT FUCCCCCCCCCCCCK

Edit: Not your fault, I'm just an idiot.

Misery loves company, I did too :(

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Just noticed Dragonslayer got put up again. It's a pretty standard fantasy romp, but I love it. Highlights include Peter MacNicol before he was Janosz, Ian McDiarmid before he was Palpatine, and some of the best practical creature effects ILM has ever done.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

House of Cards is Hamlet right?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

priznat posted:

Well, it just seemed to go beyond how the character was initially introduced. "Getting even" with people who screwed him over is one thing, but this seemed to be going to a whole new level. The talking directly to the audience in asides shtick draws you in and then the floor sort of drops out and it's a bit of a disconnect.

Still enjoy the show though, and it's going to be fun rooting for the journalists to unravel the nefarious deeds.

He was initially introduced killing an animal in useless pain. It's exactly how he began.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

Jay Dub posted:

Watch The Imposter at your earliest convenience. It is fantastic.

thanks for this recommendation. I just watched it and not only is it a fascinating story, but its just a well done film.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

User-Friendly posted:

He was initially introduced killing an animal in useless pain. It's exactly how he began.
That's the first scene I thought of when I got to the episode, I took it as major foreshadowing for that event, and I could see it heading to that place as soon as things really started going downhill. "There. No more pain."

I loved House of Cards, Kevin Spacey acts the poo poo out of his character and it's such a joy to watch. Also I find myself watching that entire opening credits sequence every time, the HDR time lapse photography is so beautifully done. It makes you want to visit D.C.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Politicalrancor posted:

House of Cards is Hamlet right?

It's Richard III, actually :eng101:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Preheated Toast posted:

Just noticed Dragonslayer got put up again. It's a pretty standard fantasy romp, but I love it. Highlights include Peter MacNicol before he was Janosz, Ian McDiarmid before he was Palpatine, and some of the best practical creature effects ILM has ever done.

Nothing standard about it. Vermithrax Perjorative is still the best dragon ever put on screen, and 30 years ago at that.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nothing standard about it. Vermithrax Perjorative is still the best dragon ever put on screen, and 30 years ago at that.
Saw that movie when it came out because I'm old. And I love the poo poo out of that movie. The story was great. I showed it to my kids and they loved it too - and that was after seeing Lord Of the Rings. So I felt good.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I just watched Stake Land and the last part of the film was just dreadful which is a big shame as I thought everything before it was great. I just don't know how why they decided to chuck all the atmosphere out of the window like that and put in a dumb showdown.

They force in a boss fight which doesn't really make sense, kill off a character and then basically reintroduce an almost identical character 5 minutes later. I'm also stumped on why Mister left them at the end without a word even if Martin had became a decent hunter.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 22, 2013

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning is now up.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I always found it odd the dragon had such an elaborate name as I don't recall it ever being spoken in the movie. It really is the best screen dragon ever.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

Saw that movie when it came out because I'm old. And I love the poo poo out of that movie. The story was great. I showed it to my kids and they loved it too - and that was after seeing Lord Of the Rings. So I felt good.

Not exactly a kids movie especially the gruesome scene when the princess ends up being torn apart by the baby dragons

NoneSuch posted:

I just watched Stake Land and the last part of the film was just dreadful which is a big shame as I thought everything before it was great. I just don't know how why they decided to chuck all the atmosphere out of the window like that and put in a dumb showdown.

They force in a boss fight which doesn't really make sense, kill off a character and then basically reintroduce an almost identical character 5 minutes later. I'm also stumped on why Mister left them at the end without a word even if Martin had became a decent hunter.

Yeah it had some annoying plot decisions such as the arbitrary ending but I still enjoyed it due to things such as the great creepy on location shooting.

Plus nice to have a post-apocalypse movie which avoided the old cliches such as evil rapist soldiers or the surviving towns turning in out of control dictatorships.

etalian fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 22, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Welcome to another episode of "movies expiring soon that maybe you want to watch and sometimes things get renewed right as they expire so take this with a grain of salt" with your host, me.

The Graduate - This is the reason Simon and Garfunkel's song about Mrs. Roosevelt is inexplicably about "Mrs. Robinson" even though it makes very little sense for the song to be about anyone other than the President's wife.
Half Nelson - If you don't want to gently caress Ryan Gosling you're probably asexual.
Drugstore Cowboy - Great if you love drugstores, even better if you love cowboys.
Kramer vs. Kramer - This movie deserves props for tastefully handling a conflict that has left dozens dead and scores injured.
The Man Who Fell to Earth - David Bowie's dick in this got an Oscar nod I think.
Marathon Man - This is the sequel to The Graduate.
Out of Sight - This movie is out of its mind (that is a joke based on the popular saying "out of sight out of mind").
Paper Moon - Back in Depression Era America people actually thought the moon was made of paper. Dumbasses.
The Producers - Essential viewing so that you can be a smug shitlord to people who watched the remake with Nathan Lane and Ferris Bueller who think it's the best version of this story.
This is Spinal Tap - Sort of a ripoff of Anvil! The Story of Anvil but still not bad.
Bronson - Nicholas Winding Refn has a sweet last name.
Transsiberian - This actually isn't an amazing film but if you want to watch a thriller I can definitely recommend it. Plus, Woody "Wood" Harrison is in it!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I always found it odd the dragon had such an elaborate name as I don't recall it ever being spoken in the movie. It really is the best screen dragon ever.

I think they do say it a few times. I know for a fact that the first time Peter McNichol goes into his lair, he walks around for a bit then quietly utters ".... Vermithrax!", which then echos through the cave and starts some rumbling. He then exits the cave in a cloud of smoke and tells everyone that the dragon definitely lives there.

Ralph Richardson definitely says the full name too, in the scene where he's looking at the dragon scales and talking about how old Vermithrax is.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 22, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is Spinal Tap - Sort of a ripoff of Anvil! The Story of Anvil but still not bad.
Bronson - Nicholas Winding Refn has a sweet last name.
Transsiberian - This actually isn't an amazing film but if you want to watch a thriller I can definitely recommend it. Plus, Woody "Wood" Harrison is in it!

Will be watching these 3 again as they certainly are movies.

extreme dildo nun
Aug 13, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can't be loving serious.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

extreme dildo nun posted:

One of them is a true story and one of them is fictional. I'll let you be the judge of which is the ripoff. :rolleyes:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

extreme dildo nun posted:

No he was making a joke and you're very stupid.

extreme dildo nun
Aug 13, 2009

casa de mi padre posted:

No he was making a joke and you're very stupid.

No
you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

foodfight posted:

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning is now up.

Everybody go watch now.

• Locked thread