Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

P'ui slips into the Liquor stores, setting the explosives and finding the smallest Keg she can. She sets it on it's side and jams a hole through the side of the cask with her sword, and then proceeds to roll the barrel backwards through the door and down the hallway, heading towards the sewer stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Oh please. Yes, the job is botched, but we might, and might is the key word here, manage to clean up somehow." Hecate gives a dismissive wave at Oreom and P'ui as she keeps closer to Flora, trying to reassure the girl. "Now, now, i am quite sorry to make you a bargaining chip, little Lady, but it seems our hands are being forced here. While the looks that your father has been giving me makes me wonder about his relationship with your mother, i am quite sure he loves you and will do anything for your safety." She turns her head to Bonne and the Ratkin and her voice changes to a more cold and sarcastic tone. "Which is why we are going to avoid setting your house on fire while you are still inside here." But of course the Rat just left. Well, maybe with their luck the fire she'll start will just trap them inside for a roasty and burny death, but the priority for now is keeping Flora completely intact.

And of course, there's the armored girl who's missing for a while. "I swear for all the Angels and Tanar'ri that i will do only solo jobs. No ratkins, no dwarves, no djinns."

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar lets out a grumble in Hecate's general direction and moves protectively in front of Flora as he seems to be steeling his resolve for a confrontation. He doesn't seem to have high hopes about any of the plans the group has going but does not seem afraid or really too concerned. He's a dwarf, made of tougher stuff than these humans and others.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty, obviously annoyed that no one's even trying the locked-but-otherwise-obvious escape route, turns to Olimar.

: "May I have the device back, please? I think maybe I can get out of here."

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar immediately nods, reaches into his pack and hands Lefty the object in question. "Here, do what you think is best, you're the only non-dwarf in the group who actually thinks."

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "Thanks. Follow my lead. And when I pass out, patch me up... Louie."

Lefty turns on his heels and heads towards the stairs, holding the device cradled under one arm. With his other hand, he pulls out his own dagger and jabs it into his other shoulder, through a gap in the half-plate armor, and leaves the dagger there (taking the maximum damage possible: 7).

On the one hand, he's doing some of 'em a favor. Some of 'em are bloodthirsty goons, itchin' for a fight. On the other hand, they're gonna hate him for this. On the other other hand, maybe the distraction team will actually provide a decent distraction this time.

There's more to think about, but Lefty's long out of hands, and out of stairs.

He turns the corner at the top of the stairs, holding the stolen goods, bleeding profusely from a fresh wound. He collapses his weight against the nearby wall, and says:

: "S-Sir Carbon! The thieves... the thieves are downstairs, in the barracks! They have Miss Flora!"

And then he quite magnificently slumps to the floor.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar places his mace at his side as he follows along protectively behind Lefty, when the human injures himself he winces and takes the man by the shoulder and 'helps him' along. When they get to where Carbon is he allows Lefty to 'collapse' and then lets out a startled sound, speaking up in a gruff voice, "Lad! You didn't say you were that hurt!" He immediately falls to his knees and begins checking over the wound before turning to Carbon, "He's right sir, we came across 'em down the way with yer daughter. I dunno what they were planning, they're in the barracks!" He pulls out the dagger and begins administering First Aid to Lefty, taking 10 on his heal roll. (which gives me 12)He quietly shushes the human while he, for a dwarf, gently tends to his wounds... still a bit more roughly than most people would like.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty mumbles, incoherently low to anyone who isn't immediately adjacent:

: "Get this godsforsaken armor off me."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
With a sigh, Flora gently shakes her head at Hecate. "I get the feeling you're all not very good at this."

P'ui sets to work!

"Good Gods, man! Cyrus! James! Back me up!" Nick lights up like a lantern at this great shock, but quickly summons the one Guard with him to retrieve the Anti-Magic Generator from Lefty. He gestures again to the Guard and Vanessa to follow him down. He rounds the stair-well in a hurry and comes upon the party in a righteous fury, rifle lined up to fire.

"Daddy!" Flora calls out over one of your shoulders and looks hopefully towards the stairs. Nick and Flora share a quick eye to eye look as Nick steadies his aim and replies. "Hit the deck, sweetie!" He's lining up a shot!

Fortunately, you guys get to set marching order and your set-up for this encounter a bit. This isn't a Surprise Round. Initiative will be rolled in case of a direct attack. The Generator is being held by the ! marked Guard.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Absolutely." Hecate answers Flora, carefully holding her as she waits in the stairs for Carbon and his mooks to appear.

"Calm down, Colonel! I believe we can all solve this situation without the use of violence?" She brings the young girl closer in order to show Carbon how the group has her completely under their mercy. "I really can't say how incredibly sorry i am that things have gone this way, Nicholas, but unfortunately the circumstances have gone quite awry, and now both of us are in this situation. Can we reach an agreement? We will keep your little Flayer friend on the underground a secret from everyone and return your daughter if we can safely leave the Manor with the Generator. No one will get hurt and you will never hear from us again as well either."

1d20+8=16 Bluff check for the negotiation!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

"Leave it to the damnable apes to overcomplicate something so simple. Yes, my fellow ape. Let us retreat to the basement, where the confines are close, the escape routes few, the advantage all on our aggressor. Surely this is the best plan!" She brings the cask to a stop, flips it back onto it's side, and checks her hands to make sure they're not soaked in liquor before setting the flint and tinder to the booze fuse. "The distraction should still work as such, though not the way this one had planned. Time to flee..."

She props the barrel against the newly walled off sewer exit and sets the flint and tinder to the booze trail, and runs up the hallway.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 21, 2013

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Oli immediately begins removing the armor and muttering, quietly, "What we doing now? You're the one with the plan kid, this Carbon fellow is crazy. By Moradin's Brazen balls he's got a damned mind flayer chained up in the basement. We need to get out of here. Don't worry about the device, he can keep it." He stands Lefty up, moving towards Vanessa and whispers, "Carbon has a contained mind flayer in the basement and god's knows what else." before moving back to Lefty and whispering, "Your shoulder OK?" as an afterthought before thumping Lefty companionably with a stoic dwarvish grin, he wraps his arm around Lefty's middle and begins 'assisting' him away from the coming combat.

malikial fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 21, 2013

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(I've noticed some people have not posted in a few days and Malikial expects to work long hours coming up, but I think a day or so is long enough for a single combat action for anyone. It'll be case by case if I compensate extra actions to folks who miss their turn. All the same, just be sure to take your actions when they're up and no problems!)

After a quick question to P'ui, the liquor in the storeroom is set to explode in 2 Rounds and the small barrel at the sewer entry wall in 1 Round.

Olimar, Heal: Although you give Lefty a bit of help, you can't really undo a stab wound by non-magical means like this! At least it's not bleeding. Unfortunately, you can't remove Lefty's armor before what happens next happens.

Lefty: You're stuck in heavy armor for now, slugger.

Hecate, Bluff: Carbon slowly shakes his head while continuing to line up. "We can make this easy, pumpkin. You send Flora over, you can go free."

quote:

Initiative

Cyrus – 22
P'ui – 21
Nick - 20
Flora - 20
Guard - 18
Oreom – 18
Olimar - 17
Lefty – 16
Hecate – 16
Figuero - 11
Vanessa - 8
Thorgeisl – 6
James - 5
Guard - 5
Guard – 4

Nick loses his hastily readied shot as he half-turns his head and glares at Olimar. "Traitors! I knew it!"

"Dun worry, m'lord! I'm on it! These ears dunnae jus' grow hair, ye know!" Cyrus stands at the top of the stairs and conjures up a plume of smoke from his pipe, a neat silver glow illuminating beneath his beard for a moment as he casts Hold Person upon Olimar, the sweet smoke locking his body as tight as a keg as the spell takes hold.

P'ui's Turn. P'ui, giving benefit of the doubt to you running earlier you move 80 feet up the hall and round the corner to see the party holding Flora hostage in front of an armed Nick Carbon at the stairs next to the storeroom. You can hear him shouting and a new voice shout. It seems things have become more complicated in that sort of way only apes can manage.

These stairs move up to the first floor of the manor. The guards have moved from the door. If you can reach gentle -AI 92, you'll escape out the front door!

If you escape into currently unseen parts of the manor, I'll update the map.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 21, 2013

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

P'ui curses in frustration. If the Apes had listened to her, they would have been out of the manor without any need to shed blood or risk their hostage. Alas, what could she expect of primates? Common sense?

"Fools! Fools, all of you! Do not relinquish the girl, The Carbon will just have you killed when you toss away your bargaining chip!" She moves down the hallway to the group, to try to stop them from doing anything else that is irredeemably stupid. She gently grabs Flora's wrist. "This One is sorry, girl, but Her life is rather dependent on yours."

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 21, 2013

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

P'ui moves up and seizes Flora's wrist. Flora and Nick share another look and Flora Delays. Nick readies his rifle and Readies An Action. The Guard next to Nick draws his rifle and readies it, Readying as well. Nick's rings and eyes are gleaming and he is benefiting from magical auras.

Oreom, Hecate, Lefty, Vanessa, Figuero, Thorgeisl: You're up. Move normally as per combat rules and keep in mind that since you're moving simultaneously and in case of overlap in final coordinates that it's first come, first serve for occupying a square. Please clearly state which coordinates you move to, especially in case of moving to melee.

Olimar: You're up as well, but you must succeed against a Will Save of 15 or lose your turn due to Hold Person.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 21, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"I'd rather take her with myself until we are in a safe place. I'm really sorry, but it's my terms or nothing." Hecate says while keeping herself and Flora on the same place. She knows that the real problem is when a fight start is the anti-magic field, not Carbon himself, so she also ensures that the guard holding the generator doesn't try anything funny.

Holding turn in case hostilities start, casting Magic Missile at the Guard the second they do

EDIT: Er, make that casting Magic Missile just after Thorgeisl did, from the state of things.

Magic Missile damage: 3+3=6 total.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 22, 2013

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar doesn't even seem phased as he saves against the attemped spell. He turns towards the caster and growls out, his voice low and angry, "I AM A TRUE DWARF. Your pitiful spells have no effect on me!" He moves stoically towards Cyrus(into sqaure -y/93), drawing his mace as he does and unleashes two vicious swings at the man. "Surrender NOW, I only want to exit this god's forsaken place in peace."

quote:

Attack rolls: 2#1d20+7: 2 # 24 [1d20=17] 19 [1d20=12]
Damage rolls: 1d8+4+1d6+2: 19 [1d8=8] [1d6=5]

malikial fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 22, 2013

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

P'ui nods to Hecate. "At least one of you apes has a correct head on It's shoulders"

(just taking a free action to make a quip)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Blink. Flayer?
Vanessa glances up at Olimar. Mind flayer chained in the basement?
She looks forward again. "You, guard. If you're going to stand up in front like that, you should give me that device. No offense, Colonel, but you are about to need this thing, and I don't trust him not to fall."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl Whose Laughter Stinks of Killing

Thorgeisl is not pleased. The Mind Flayer remains alive. The whole plan has fallen apart. People keep improvising at cross purposes and making things worse. And at least two of the prime suspects keep grumbling about everyone but themselves causing problems.

He played his part, he did a good job. Yes he went underground to investigate the magical aura instead of leaving the building at that time. But that was the closest he has come to doing anything but play his part. And in the process they had learned of the captured Mind Flayer.

Yet they let it live.

Tired of all this, and blamed along with the others for every little setback despite his lack of involvement in any of the problems that cropped up he feels he may as well cause a problem of his own. So he quickly launches a bolt of fire at the hands of the guard holding the device, with any luck the man will drop the device in pain.

Arcane Bolt - Fire vs guard holding device 1d20+1 touch attack 18 for 2d6 8 Fire damage.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Nessa lurches forward, possibly to catch the device if it's about to fall. "Case in point!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Olimar leaps into action and clobbers Cyrus, who lets out pained yelps yet remains standing, arms layered with huge bruisers! Thorgeisl immolates the guard who manages to remain upright despite the horrible burns about his face.

Nick: "A hell of a negotiation, Scarlet! Have at them!" Nick and the Guard use their Readied actions to open fire on Thorgeisl. Nick channels a super-natural surge of energy into his rifle before opening fire with a pair of shots that sounds like thunder cracking. They go wide(second attack is at -5)blow solid bullet-sized holes into the stone at his feet. The guard clumsily fires at Thorgeisl as well and also misses!

This triggers Hecate's reaction and the Guard's face is pulped by magic missiles and he collapses, dropping the Anti-Magic Generator, which Vanessa picks up. Flora's readied action is to drop to Prone.

quote:

Initiative

Cyrus – 22
P'ui – 21
Oreom – 18
Olimar - 17
Lefty – 16
Figuero - 11
Vanessa - 8
Thorgeisl – 6
Nick - 6*
Flora - 6*
Hecate - 6*
James - 5
Guard - 5
Guard – 4

Initiatives readjusted for Readied Actions.

Cyrus
Damage Taken: 19

Oreom and Lefty are still left to go.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa looks up, raising her eyebrows at Hecate, inclining her head slightly towards Carbon.
"Should I activate this, Colonel?"

Ready action to flee into cover if it looks like someone's going to attack her (V92 or T90, depending on where it's coming from).

zachol fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 22, 2013

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "...I had you pegged for sensible and reliable, and you go and say the whole drat plan out loud within earshot of onea Carbon's Ruperts. I stabbed myself to make this godsdamned plan work and you go and make a pig's ear of it the next instant."

Lefty sighs wearily. He is prone, wounded, wearing armor too heavy to fight in, and can't just bolt for the door because there are guards inexplicably in the way.

(Wearing armor you're not proficient with gives you a penalty equal to its armor check penalty to attack rolls. AC penalty on half-plate is -7. None of my attack bonuses are more than +5. It's such a shame Lefty got involved in this fight, because he's going to be goddamned useless.)

Lefty stands up from prone. If there's a standard action he can take that would be of any value, I can't think of what it might be. Lefty ponders where he went wrong in life that got him here, taking a Total Defense.

Rtwo fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 22, 2013

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Oli says, "SENSIBLE? I'M A DWARF!"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Figuero Yhong

Seeing his injured compatriot Figuero rushes nimbly past Carbon, doing his best to keep the human samurai between himself and the furious Colonel, as he sought to stand by Lefty's side
((Escape Route teamwork feat should let him pass through Carbon without provoking AoO and end up in square W-94 adjacent to lefty))

White and red wisps of power trickled down Figuero forearms "I'll do my best boy-o" ((1d8+3=7)) he assures the mustachioed vagabond.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oreom Bonne

"Feh."

That about sums up anything Oreom might have thought about the goings on, the bickerings, the hostaging, the fighting, the .. really, was all this pain-in-the-assery worth the payout?

... well, yes. Yes. Anything was worth a payout, especially if everyone else was going to do all the getting hot and bothered for him, but he still wanted to burn something with a ferocity that might have been the twinges of addiction talking. It's not until 'nessa decides to think about activating the Generator that Oreom gets genuinely annoyed, however. He can't tell if she's playing dumb for their side (if you can even call what they've got a side) or actually defecting, but either way, he doesn't especially want that thing turned on. But he doesn't want to break the drat thing by having it drop and smash or get under his club, because sometimes things are way more dangerous when they're breaking than when they're intact. So the better plan of action is just to keep Vanessa from receiving any orders whatsoever, right? "Sod all this," he mutters, turning and hoisting his purloined mace high into the air above the prone Flora. "Maybe this time you'll stay an' watch me clobber the holy hell outta someone, Colonel!" he snaps, still vaguely sore that nobody interesting saw his stunning victory earlier. "I just wanna get the hell out of this place now," he added as the terms of his not bashing the girl's head in. Not that he really wants to, since well, that'd kinda also ruin their only bargaining chip.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Initiative paused, conversation is free. Skill checks/Actions are not. Immediate/Free actions are OK.

Oreom, Intimidate: Nick waves over his shoulder to those men behind him. "Halt! ... Alright, thug, name your terms."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hecate sighs as she lets out a magic projectile at the Guard the moment Carbon and his goons opened fire. Yes, it was too much to expect these people to not attack before the negotiations end, and she was a fool to believe that. At least Bonne did his best to take control of the situation again. "The terms have been given before. We are going to take her and the generator outside of the manor, then we'll let your girl go."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa frowns at the group, then motions with her hand, waggling it in front of her mouth like a squid, then turns it up in front of her in a "well? what about it?" gesture.
She points at the device, raising an eyebrow.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nick: "This leaves me at a disadvantage, or rather, you're carrying three things in your favor and me none. That generator, your lives and my Flora. I don't see why I should take your word that you'll return Flora as soon as you're out my door." The man hasn't stopped lining up his rifle for further shots during all this.

Standing at the top of the stairs, James gestures downwards with his staff. "I'd suggest we take one of the robbers as a show of good faith and perform a proper exchange at the front." He looks pointedly at Olimar and Lefty.

Nick rolls his shoulders. "Not a bad idea."

If at least three players agree to it, including either Olimar, Lefty or Vanessa as Nick's hostage, combat will end and we'll change scenes.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

OOC: Uh isn't there an explosion next round?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(It'd be rather impossible for any of the NPCs to be aware of that, but it would certainly weigh on the mind of the PCs!)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

OOC: I just mean in terms of saying "we'll change scenes."

zachol fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 23, 2013

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(Hmm, good point. Oh well. Still an opportunity to stop the fight.)

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar nods, "I agree. Take me. I don't mind the idea. Let the lad go." He motions towards Lefty. "And for Moradin's sake boy, get out of that armor, you look ridiculous."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Can't say i like to give others their own trump cards, but if you want the Dwarf, hell, maybe you can even keep him after we leave." Hecate quips after Olimar offers himself as a hostage. "And i am sure that we can trust each other that nothing unexpected will happen." Except for whatever P'Ui went to do.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Figuero Yhong

"For whatever little worth it may have to you, I give you my word the girl shall be protected to the best of my abilities until she is returned"

((Diplomacy 1d20+9 = 14))

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 23, 2013

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

One round's worth of movement begins, with Nick, Cyrus, James and the remaining two Guards cautiously moving back up the stairs with Olimar kept close by, weapons drawn and ready. James tends to Cyrus and heals away a good number of the bruises Olimar inflicted upon him with Cure Light Wounds for 9 HP.

You have one round worth of actions to dictate what you're up to, everybody! Also you hear a muted POP in the distance as the smaller barrel of Dwarven booze explodes next to the sealed wall to the sewer entrance. The big cache will explode in 1 round!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa backs away, eyebrows raised, following the Colonel.
She narrows her eyes at the pop. What?

OOC: Tailing Carbon, X93 now.

• Locked thread