Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Does this mean I can finally be rid of Foxit Reader?

[Edit] Hmm, maybe not. This one's a bit slower, but it IS quite nice for a native viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Buff Skeleton posted:

Does this mean I can finally be rid of Foxit Reader?

[Edit] Hmm, maybe not. This one's a bit slower, but it IS quite nice for a native viewer.

SumatraPDF is what will allow you to be rid of Foxit Reader. It's the least poo poo PDF reader.

Only downside is it doesn't support forms or scripting or flash or whatever the gently caress else they put in PDFs these days that would never work when printed.

This is also the reason why it is under 5MB and isn't constantly being exploited.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Lum posted:

SumatraPDF is what will allow you to be rid of Foxit Reader. It's the least poo poo PDF reader.

Only downside is it doesn't support forms or scripting or flash or whatever the gently caress else they put in PDFs these days that would never work when printed.

This is also the reason why it is under 5MB and isn't constantly being exploited.

SumatraPDF is indeed super fast and is my default reader next to adobe's, and I cant recommend Sumatra enough, but man it's so minimalistic and simple to a fault. I wish they would at least add a few things to it that are pretty much standard nowadays to make life easier, thumbnail previews, customizable toolbar, and even a few smaller things like show the current zoom% on the toolbar would help a ton in using it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I will use PDF X-Change Viewer until the end times come. It's super fast, well-designed, and absurdly feature-rich (OCR? Importing/exporting comments as separate files? Area measuring tool?). And if you want minimalism, just press F11 to hide the UI.

I know I just sounded like an ad, but it's the kind of program I love so much I seriously checked to see if I could buy a premium version just to throw them some money (I could, for $40, but it was only for commercial use with no extra features so ehhh).

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I'll never get over the fact that PDF X-Change's homepage is named tracker-software. I'm sure that alone makes a lot of people hesitant to accept that recommendation, even if the software itself is legit. And if you feel like "throwing them some money" just because you feel like their hard work has made your life easier, then maybe you should give'em the 40 bucks anyway.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

NihilCredo posted:

I will use PDF X-Change Viewer until the end times come.
Likewise. Amazing software. Plus little bonuses that you don't expect until you don't have it, like how the image and font rendering is really nice. Just one example among many.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Fangs404 posted:

No, but I've definitely encountered this bug, and it's super frustrating.

I don't think it's actually a bug in Firefox but a misconfiguration of the server. More specifically, Firefox now requests the https page by default, but if the web server doesn't have https/SSL setup and is not configured to redirect an https request to the http site, you'll get that error.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

syzygy86 posted:

I don't think it's actually a bug in Firefox but a misconfiguration of the server. More specifically, Firefox now requests the https page by default, but if the web server doesn't have https/SSL setup and is not configured to redirect an https request to the http site, you'll get that error.

The bug I'm referring to is this: You go to http://butts.com and then later go to https://butts.com (and both correctly resolve - the server is correctly configured). Then, sometime later, you want to go back to http://butts.com so you type butts, and then inline autocomplete automatically fills in https://butts.com. Even if you press CTRL+enter (which should just add https://www. and .com to butts without the https), it'll incorrectly take you to https://www.butts.com.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Today I learned that butts.com is for sale.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

withak posted:

Today I learned that butts.com is for sale.

Redirect it to a bitcoin website.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Whatever the new Firefox is doing, it's making it incredibly buggy and unstable on quite a few sites. I've cleared the cache, started a new profile, all of that. I think it's this HTTPS forcing thing that simply doesn't work.

It took the forums here about 5 minutes to actually load where it takes them only a few seconds to load on Chrome.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

Whatever the new Firefox is doing, it's making it incredibly buggy and unstable on quite a few sites. I've cleared the cache, started a new profile, all of that. I think it's this HTTPS forcing thing that simply doesn't work.

It took the forums here about 5 minutes to actually load where it takes them only a few seconds to load on Chrome.
Make sure you're using the latest Adobe flash player beta and have the latest video drivers installed. If you still have issues, use the "Reset Firefox" function in about :support. The HTTPS issue would not cause what you're seeing, the site would immediately fail to load, and you'd be able to see the unexpected https protocol in the address bar.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
On this subject, is there really any reason not to use Adobe Reader nowadays? A long while back I used Foxit because Adobe was really slow, but now it doesn't have that problem.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Adobe Reader is extremely insecure, it's one of the primary ways that computers are infected with malware. If you use the built-in PDF reader you are protected from security vulnerabilities and also don't have to wait for the plug-in to load, which makes things snappier (especially when actually loading pages with PDFs).

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Alereon posted:

Adobe Reader is extremely insecure, it's one of the primary ways that computers are infected with malware. If you use the built-in PDF reader you are protected from security vulnerabilities and also don't have to wait for the plug-in to load, which makes things snappier (especially when actually loading pages with PDFs).

Not really, Adobe X and XI now both sandbox the files much like their flash player, and for the super paranoid you can even go into preference>javascript>disable and boom it's now very secure. Now you have a fully featured reader with great rendering.

The only reason people hate on it so much is that yes it gets exploited just like everything, and because its the standard everywhere and very popular it makes the news on all the blogs, no one gives two poo poo about Foxit Reader enough to say that an exploit has been found, so people think its the better safer option, yet look through Foxit's change logs for all the versions and you'll find a lot of vague security fixes, like this last update of theirs. "- Fixed a security issue where attackers can exploit a web browser plugin vulnerability to execute arbitrary code."

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Not really, Adobe X and XI now both sandbox the files much like their flash player, and for the super paranoid you can even go into preference>javascript>disable and boom it's now very secure. Now you have a fully featured reader with great rendering.

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/advisories/apsa13-02.html

Buffer overflow exploit that bypasses the sandbox in Adobe Reader 10 and 11, advisory released last week.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

pseudorandom name posted:

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/advisories/apsa13-02.html

Buffer overflow exploit that bypasses the sandbox in Adobe Reader 10 and 11, advisory released last week.

I never said it didn't get exploited or ever will again, only that it's now much more secure then it used to be and you only every hear about this kind of stuff about Adobe, when the alternatives are just a vulnerable and by many of the exact same exploits that are used against Adobe.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Im_Special posted:

I never said it didn't get exploited or ever will again, only that it's now much more secure then it used to be and you only every hear about this kind of stuff about Adobe, when the alternatives are just a vulnerable and by many of the exact same exploits that are used against Adobe.

That's the nice thing about pdf.js. It's implemented entirely in content-level Javascript, so the surface area for attack is exactly the same as Javascript in general. Plugins or native applications* just increase the surface area. That's not necessarily the end of the world, but unless you really need the features of Adobe/Foxit/Sumatra, it's smarter to use pdf.js. You can always fall back to an alternate PDF reader for files that don't work (or submit a patch to pdf.js!).

* Really, anything whose code is "trusted" on some level.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Fangs404 posted:

I'm on the stable channel, so this is the fist time I've seen the JS PDF reader in action. It seems to work amazingly well. I'm really impressed.
Unfortunately it's nowhere near the quality of a native PDF reader like Chrome's. It works pretty well on 'common' PDFs, but I've run into a ton of PDFs that it either has weird rendering problems on, or the text looks like poo poo and is nearly unreadable. Also its search has weird issues with not finding things.
I still like it, though; I just use Chrome's PDF reader in those cases.

I recommend installing the dev version (scroll down) of pdf.js instead of the normal one. It's updated constantly, while the normal version is a couple months old. I've never had the dev version do anything weird.

Man this new download window in FF20 is weird.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Keyboard Kid posted:

On this subject, is there really any reason not to use Adobe Reader nowadays? A long while back I used Foxit because Adobe was really slow, but now it doesn't have that problem.

Is there any reason to use it? It's been garbage for so long (still is), there are lots of good alternatives, why go back?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Adobe Reader isn't garbage. It has obviously excellent PDF support, quick start up time, fantastic rendering and capabilities. The only thing that could be more user friendly is the update process.

It's just popular so it gets attacked a lot. Like someone said, most other PDF readers are just as vulnerable but aren't as publicized.

All that being said, if you don't work with PDFs very much, the one bundled in a browser is probably good enough.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Also Adobe Reader on Linux is terribad, and most of the other options don't play nice with Firefox, so for us, it's a godsend.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Magic Underwear posted:

Is there any reason to use it? It's been garbage for so long (still is), there are lots of good alternatives, why go back?

Have you... tried it recently? It's pretty much as snappy as I could ask for everything and I see no problems with it. It's the standard and everything is made to work with it. Why I would I go out of my way to seek third party software that may or may not be as good or secure? :confused:

I can see the vulnerability issue, especially since it's the most common pdf reader to target, but I'm not convinced other readers are better about this.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Keyboard Kid posted:

Have you... tried it recently? It's pretty much as snappy as I could ask for everything and I see no problems with it. It's the standard and everything is made to work with it. Why I would I go out of my way to seek third party software that may or may not be as good or secure? :confused:

I can see the vulnerability issue, especially since it's the most common pdf reader to target, but I'm not convinced other readers are better about this.

The other PDF viewers don't implement the video decoders or Flash plugins or JavaScript interpreter or 3D graphics or any of the other stupid poo poo Adobe wedged into the PDF specification. So they have a smaller attack surface.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

The other PDF viewers don't implement the video decoders or Flash plugins or JavaScript interpreter or 3D graphics or any of the other stupid poo poo Adobe wedged into the PDF specification. So they have a smaller attack surface.

This... PDF is supposed to be for storing documents, not some gigantic online multimedia experience.

There are very few PDFs that actually need all that poo poo.

Adobe also have a track record of producing lovely, buggy software full of security vulnerabilities, e.g. Flash. I put Flash, Reader and Java in the same category of "uninstall unless you know you need them". Unfortunately most folk can't get rid of flash, but Java can go and Reader has viable 3rd party replacements.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Lum posted:

Reader has viable 3rd party replacements.
Ive never had a single problem with foxit yet. (No jinx no jinx :ohdear:)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

FRINGE posted:

Ive never had a single problem with foxit yet. (No jinx no jinx :ohdear:)

Does foxit still bundle shovelware toolbars in the installer?

They also had that buffer overrun where a really long URL to a PDF file allowed code execution.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Lum posted:

Does foxit still bundle shovelware toolbars in the installer?

They also had that buffer overrun where a really long URL to a PDF file allowed code execution.
Yeah theres something in the free installer (maybe the ask toolbar?) you have to remember to opt out of during installation.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

oh god. Ask Jeeves!

Why are they still even trying?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Oracle has Ask packaged with the java update installer as well. (They have less of an excuse since they are buried in cash.)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lum posted:

oh god. Ask Jeeves!

Why are they still even trying?

I was shocked earlier, I tried it out of the blue; it came up with a useful result, better than Google or DuckDuckGo (which is what I mostly use).
(I was asking about letter frequency in Danish)

So it may actually not be a useless website, but they sure do piss everyone off by bundling toolbars with everything, which is probably why everyone vaguely hates Ask Jeeves..

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

So it may actually not be a useless website, but they sure do piss everyone off by bundling toolbars with everything, which is probably why everyone vaguely hates Ask Jeeves..

Getting off topic and probably better in the ticket thread, but I used to have a user who, when the corporate browser was replaced with Firefox, with Google as the home page, would always start the browser, google for ask jeeves and then do her search there.

She was also the biggest offender for getting infested with malware which is part of what prompted the switch to Firefox in the first place. (it didn't help)

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

So Firefox is going to block third party cookies by default.

I have a question about Adblock Plus on Chrome though, does it work the same way as in Firefox where it prevents the ads from loading in the browser? Or does it just hide it after the fact?

cremnob fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 24, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

So Firefox is going to third party cookies by default.

Er, what are you trying to say there? Seems like there might be a word missing

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

Er, what are you trying to say there? Seems like there might be a word missing

Meant to say block. Edited my post.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

cremnob posted:

I have a question about Adblock Plus on Chrome though, does it work the same way as in Firefox where it prevents the ads from loading in the browser? Or does it just hide it after the fact?

It started out as a stylesheet hack, but Chrome's support for fiddling with web requests landed a year ago or more and current AdBlock Plus prevents the web request from ever happening.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I'm trying to go to a site that has an expired certificate, this is in FF19

In FF18 There would be a button to add an exception and carry on. This is gone in FF19.

I've tried going to about:certerror and pasting in the URL there, but it still ignores it.

How can I sort that?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Go to Firefox, History, Show All History, search for the site in the upper-right corner, right-click on a result, select "Forget About This Site". Restart Firefox.

This isn't a Firefox change, the site you're using probably has HTTPS Strict Transport Security enabled, and the spec requires that browsers not allow users to ignore certificate errors. I think forgetting about the site works because the browser isn't required to honor that requirement if it never saw it on a valid cert, but I could be mis-remembering.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

That worked, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm getting a bug on the release channel where rss feeds will just display the shadow of the dropdown menu and not the menu itself. If you click the feed button repeatedly the menu will show up, but maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the time. Is this a known bug, or could there be something else causing it?