Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I understand that a portchannel with more than 8 members will feature hot standby to some degree.

I state this because we have someone with a Dell server who wants a portchannel setup, but doesn't want to push a gig + of data, but instead simply wants some type of fail over. I suggested HSRP, but haven't heard back.

It's currently up/up and pingable, it's just that my interfaces are not bonded. They're l2 switchports so a port channel probably isn't even necessary on my end.

Would this present any issues in the real world?

If they just want redundancy what about spanning tree doesn't solve this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
Servers don't typically speak STP so it won't help here.

If that server is an ESXi host then you don't need to setup etherchannel at all. You can just setup an active/standby uplink on the virtual switch and when one link falls over the other picks right up.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

1000101 posted:

Servers don't typically speak STP so it won't help here.

If that server is an ESXi host then you don't need to setup etherchannel at all. You can just setup an active/standby uplink on the virtual switch and when one link falls over the other picks right up.

Ah I'm stupid, I misread it as a switch to switch connection (probably because he mentioned 8 ports).

Look up port bonding, you can pick all kinds of modes including LACP if you really want it.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I understand that a portchannel with more than 8 members will feature hot standby to some degree.

I state this because we have someone with a Dell server who wants a portchannel setup, but doesn't want to push a gig + of data, but instead simply wants some type of fail over. I suggested HSRP, but haven't heard back.

It's currently up/up and pingable, it's just that my interfaces are not bonded. They're l2 switchports so a port channel probably isn't even necessary on my end.

Would this present any issues in the real world?

Update the broadcom driver in the server to the full package from Dells website. If all that is needed is failover build a simple switch agnostic team in the broadcom advanced control center. Will not present any issues whatsoever. Every single one of my 20ish Dell servers is configured this way.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I am in a situation where I might be picking up two 10Ge switches (for my DR site). Most likely, I'd be looking at the nexus line. In my primary datacenter, I have two 5548UP switches today. Would it be possible to run two 6001 switches in tandem and join them in the cross chassis etherchannels? That would allow me to effectively replace my 5548 switch in situ, to take to my DR site. Basically I hate downtime, but like having the newest poo poo, so I need to be sure these ideals can coexist for this upgrade.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

adorai posted:

I am in a situation where I might be picking up two 10Ge switches (for my DR site). Most likely, I'd be looking at the nexus line. In my primary datacenter, I have two 5548UP switches today. Would it be possible to run two 6001 switches in tandem and join them in the cross chassis etherchannels? That would allow me to effectively replace my 5548 switch in situ, to take to my DR site. Basically I hate downtime, but like having the newest poo poo, so I need to be sure these ideals can coexist for this upgrade.

Sounds like you want to configure "double sided vPC" but I may be delirious from being awake too long.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

Basically the short answer is yes. Create another vPC domain with the Nexus 6ks and go nuts. Any particular reason you want to put in Nexus 6001?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

1000101 posted:

Basically the short answer is yes. Create another vPC domain with the Nexus 6ks and go nuts. Any particular reason you want to put in Nexus 6001?
40Ge uplinks. We don't do anything with FC here so we don't need the UP on our 5548, but our DR site hosts some legacy stuff that does use FC.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

pt1xoom posted:

I did a little reading on asynchronous connections and routing, and it doesn't look like it to me, but I am be very wrong.

Attached is the diagram. Thanks.

Yea that's not asynchronous routing. Looking at that diagram then rereading your post, it seems to work as intended. You seem to believe that by routing traffic to the VPN server instead of the cisco firewall makes it not go through the cisco firewall, but it would still go through it if that's the only link between both networks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

tortilla_chip posted:

Essentially they perform SONET-esque alarm functions. Wireless carriers wanted detailed stats from service providers to prove they were meeting SLAs. One nice thing about either protocol is they use standard Ethernet frames and should be carried without issue across the service provider network. You'd definitely want to check the feature navigator to make sure CFM is available on the platform you're running.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/cether/configuration/guide/ce_cfm.html

You'll want to configure a MEP on each end of the circuit in question.

That looks pretty cool. But I don't think it is available on ISRs :/

Oh well.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Has anyone troubleshot a slow Site to Site VPN between two ASA's before? I have two 5515-x and a 100Mb Fiber line with ethernet hand offs at each end. I went through the basics, directly connected between the site to site ends I see 9-12MB's speeds over FTP. 6MB over CIFS. Connected via the VPN, I am seeing 500Kb's over FTP and 100Kb over CIFS. All the devices are set to 1500 MTU (Fiber supports up to 1600 MTU per provider).

Any ideas? This is just painfully slow.

*Edit* Of course it was a cable issue. Back up to around ~3MB's via FTP. Still pretty slow IMO.
*Edit 2* It was the machine. 6.5MB/s on my workstation via TeraCopy.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 22, 2013

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
My WAN is more or less multiple layer 2 providers bridged together at various points. I run one WAN subnet, with routers at each site that have a WAN IP and then a LAN IP. I use OSPF (area 0 only) for dynamic routing. I want to add backup links via IPSEC VPN to a few locations, and then have those locations able to route all traffic on my layer 2 LAN back to the rest of my network should there be a backhoe event which takes multiple sites off the main network, but leaves them able to talk to one another. Due to my ISPs design, the physical topology is something like this:

code:
City 1 ------- City 2 ------- City 3 ------- City 4
                    |
                    |-------City 5 ------- City 6
                                 |
                                 |------- City 7
For example, if there was a fiber cut between City 2 and City 5, I will have 3 cities that are offline. I would like add a DSL link in City 7 (from another ISP) and create a VPN that would be able to carry traffic for all three of the severed cities back to City 1. Obviously, straight IPSEC will be less than desirable. Is this a situation where I would want to use GRE over IPSEC, and simply set the OSPF cost of the GRE interface to a higher value? I intend to setup a lab for this scenario, but wanted to verify that I am pursuing the correct solution before I begin.

If it matters, I will be using a mix of Fortinet, Cisco ISRs, Cisco ASAs, and Vyatta based devices, so I am limited to open routing protocols.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Someone brought this up to me last week. Most of the desktops here at work plug into a Polycom phone and the Polycom is networked back to our 3750 stack. We have a voice vlan setup for the points and a regular data vlan setup for everything else. The "problem" as it exists is that I can see SIP traffic that is not destined for my phone. I see tons of packets with a source IP of our internal broadsoft server, but none of the destinations are my IP or my phone number.

It's only SIP as well. I can't actually pull and stream the phone conversation.

I assume some of it has to do with ARP broadcasts but outside of the initial ARP spam I shouldn't see the same destination, right? But I do.

Any ideas?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How are you seeing this traffic? Using wireshark on the PC. Sniffing from a switch, what?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Someone brought this up to me last week. Most of the desktops here at work plug into a Polycom phone and the Polycom is networked back to our 3750 stack. We have a voice vlan setup for the points and a regular data vlan setup for everything else. The "problem" as it exists is that I can see SIP traffic that is not destined for my phone. I see tons of packets with a source IP of our internal broadsoft server, but none of the destinations are my IP or my phone number.

I assume some of it has to do with ARP broadcasts but outside of the initial ARP spam I shouldn't see the same destination, right? But I do.

Any ideas?

Are you mostly seeing INVITEs ? What's the registration timeout on your phones ? If you have a registration timeout > mac timeout on switches, that first INVITE will unknown unicast flood.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Correct. Wireshark from my desk PC.

I am seeing majority INVITE and NOTIFY but a few with the Status set to 200, whatever that means. I believe the Status 200 OK messages are supposed to be unicast.

Phone registration is pretty high. Just checked mine and it had 1500 seconds, which is about half an hour. I imagine our ARP and MAC time outs are default. So MAC is five minutes and ARP is the default (four hours, I think). I'll double check the phone in the mean time but it looks like phone registration timeout is lower than ARP timeout.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 25, 2013

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Correct. Wireshark from my desk PC.

I am seeing majority INVITE and NOTIFY but a few with the Status set to 200, whatever that means. I believe the Status 200 OK messages are supposed to be unicast.

Phone registration is pretty high. Just checked mine and it had 1500 seconds, which is about half an hour. I imagine our ARP and MAC time outs are default. So MAC is five minutes and ARP is the default (four hours, I think). I'll double check the phone in the mean time but it looks like phone registration timeout is lower than ARP timeout.

Is your default gateway provided by an FHRP (VRRP, HSRP, GLBP) shared between 2 switches/routers? If so you may be seeing the 200s due to asymmetric traffic paths.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

ragzilla posted:

Is your default gateway provided by an FHRP (VRRP, HSRP, GLBP) shared between 2 switches/routers? If so you may be seeing the 200s due to asymmetric traffic paths.

The broadsoft servers are located on a different network downtown. This office network is connected with it via a P2P layer 3 circuit. We're not using a standby protocol but we do have a backup layer 3 P2P that exists on a different 3750 on this network that is trunked to the 3750 that does carry the main default gateway. The backup is for emergencies but mainly it's for duplication purposes. Second circuit that it can fill with a gig of traffic. We use only EIGRP and manipulation the AD to prevent traffic from taking it.

Devices on the data network use the SVI's IP as their default gateway and the switch itself has an ip route pointing to the next hop IP.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
Has anyone set up any SNMP monitoring on a Cisco Aironet 1140/41 before? Trying to figure out what I need to set up exactly to monitor radio interfaces going up/down and to monitor # of clients associated to an SSID. Anyone have any tips on this (links to MIB, specific OID or anything? For reference I'm using PRTG SNMP monitoring to accomplish this).

Morganus_Starr fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 26, 2013

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Any ideas?

Look at your wireshark capture, find a unicast frame that is not destined to your desktop or your phone, assure it's not just one but multiple frames for the same destination mac address, then check the mac-address table of your 3750 to see why it's flooding the frame.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Morganus_Starr posted:

Has anyone set up any SNMP monitoring on a Cisco Aironet 1140/41 before? Trying to figure out what I need to set up exactly to monitor radio interfaces going up/down and to monitor # of clients associated to an SSID. Anyone have any tips on this (links to MIB, specific OID or anything? For reference I'm using PRTG SNMP monitoring to accomplish this).

Interfaces should just be IF-MIB, for clients check out CISCO-DOT11-ASSOCIATION-MIB.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

abigserve posted:

Look at your wireshark capture, find a unicast frame that is not destined to your desktop or your phone, assure it's not just one but multiple frames for the same destination mac address, then check the mac-address table of your 3750 to see why it's flooding the frame.

From what I understand, the packets with the "200 OK" message are supposed to be unicast.

However, not seeing multiples of those or anything. One destination IP it's corresponding MAC seem to be pulling one of the three messages and not duplicates. An invite, a notify, or a 200 OK. Doesn't seem like I'm seeing a bunch of repeats either, at least not so far.

Originally I assumed that the switches were making an ARP broadcast across the trunks. Kinda leaning back to that assumption again.

MAC table looks fine to me.

Example:

2 0004.f213.ba69 DYNAMIC Gi3/0/3
3 0004.f213.ba69 DYNAMIC Gi3/0/3

This was a destination MAC. Local interface shows this MAC for Vlan 2 and Vlan 3. 2 is data, 3 is phone.

This is how we have our interfaces setup:

switchport access vlan 2
switchport voice vlan 3
srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5
queue-set 2
priority-queue out
mls qos trust cos
auto qos trust
spanning-tree portfast

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What's y'all's opinion of the 4255? I have been super unimpressed with them so far after about a month of use, but then again the guy that I took them over from spent zero time tuning the signatures so maybe I'm not giving them a chance.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

anybody have a good white paper that can explain multiple site to site ipsec tunnels on a single device properly? I'm banging my head on google foo trying to find good examples of multiple site to site links but most are version 6/7 code or lacking ANY sort of description. I've got the live tunnel established and mirrored. I have a subnet I can set for interesting traffic on the test device so I can mirror those subnets and config between the live and test ASA's. Just trying to figure out if I need to do a 2nd crypto isakmp policy to match the 30 or add some more config if I can't share the transform set tset. Throwing down some config from it just incase I boneheaded missed a simple item in my configuration. The live tunnel is still active according to both devices sh cry isakmp

code:
access-list test extended permit ip object-group 192.168.x.0 192.168.y.0 255.255.255.0
crypto map outside_map 30 match address test
crypto map outside_map 30 set peer x.x.x.x
crypto map outside_map 30 set transform-set tset
crypto map outside_map 40 match address realtunnel (too lazy to sanatize that one)
crypto map outside_map 40 set peer y.y.y.y
crypto map outside_map 40 set transform-set tset
crypto map outside_map interface outside

tunnel-group x.x.x.x type ipsec-l2l
tunnel-group x.x.x.x ipsec-attributes
 pre-shared-key test key
tunnel-group y.y.y.y type ipsec-l2l
tunnel-group y.y.y.y ipsec-attributes
 pre-shared-key test key
crypto isakmp policy 40
 authentication pre-share
 encryption 3des
 hash sha
 group 2
 lifetime 86400

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Isakmp policies go in order, each ASA announces it's isakmp policies in a list, the first one that matches on each side is chosen so you don't need one for each tunnel. You can use one transform set for every tunnel.

Your crypto map config looks fine, ASA examples from 7.x would be valid for 8.2 code and lower. It looks like you're running 8.2 or lower since the isakmp policies are worded differently in 8.3 code.

The only thing that can't be duplicated is the interesting traffic ACL and peer ip, that always needs to be unique since the ASA wouldn't know how to route it if it were duplicate.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Sepist posted:

Isakmp policies go in order, each ASA announces it's isakmp policies in a list, the first one that matches on each side is chosen so you don't need one for each tunnel. You can use one transform set for every tunnel.

Your crypto map config looks fine, ASA examples from 7.x would be valid for 8.2 code and lower. It looks like you're running 8.2 or lower since the isakmp policies are worded differently in 8.3 code.

The only thing that can't be duplicated is the interesting traffic ACL and peer ip, that always needs to be unique since the ASA wouldn't know how to route it if it were duplicate.

Ya what makes it fun is the 3 versions of code going on the devices. 9.0,8.4 and 8.2. Gotta make sure 9.0 syncs to the 8.2 before I can update one of the devices. Then I can preconfigure one device with 9.0 and send it out to just do a straight swap. Then I'll have everything working on 9.0.

I'll triple check my acl's to make sure my test subnet isn't replicated across anything. Peer ip's are definitely different so thats not a worry.

I'll keep digging in, thankfully my live tunnel is a backup tunnel for an mpls link so I can take it down as long as I can bring it up in a matter of 20 seconds while I test.

Thanks for the reply, that helps keep my mind on track so I don't confuse myself trying to step too far out of the box

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

psydude posted:

What's y'all's opinion of the 4255? I have been super unimpressed with them so far after about a month of use, but then again the guy that I took them over from spent zero time tuning the signatures so maybe I'm not giving them a chance.

Dunno about the 4255 but I do know that we're bailing on Cisco when it comes to firewall/ips/ids/etc.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Dunno about the 4255 but I do know that we're bailing on Cisco when it comes to firewall/ips/ids/etc.

we went to Palo alto. Just made sense to us, their product is amazing

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

It's a shame, really, that the ASAs don't have the ability to build ipsec protected gre tunnels. They simplify a great deal, at least conceptually. And if you're coming from a routing background, having a logical interface to manipulate is an advantage.

I wish Cisco would just buy Palo Alto and extinguish the ASAs forever.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Langolas posted:

Funnily enough, I got a cold call from this company today and politely told them to F off. (We use pf on FreeBSD)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Langolas posted:

If both I and my boss continue to be unimpressed, maybe we'll start looking into PA for the next FY.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Fortinet products are really nice to work with as well. That's what I'm leaning towards right now for IDS/IPS/enforcement device instead of Cisco. SDM is so bad.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Langolas posted:

That's what we're moving to.

We're even replacing out Fire Eye with a PA.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
So has anyone been able to get a Surface tablet working with AnyConnect and/or an IPSEC VPN on an ASA? I'm reading that AnyConnect won't work, but that IPSEC MIGHT if I set up L2TP? See a few articles on the 'net from a few months ago about this but no recent info.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a 1921 router and I'm trying to do something it doesn't want to do. I need to allow access to things like SSH and L2TP etc from internet hosts via both its interfaces (each has a public IP on it). But all traffic from the internal networks needs go out only one of them. I'm at a loss, as it's not quite a normal load balancing scenario, nor failover. Our fortigates don't seem to have a problem doing this with the 'weight' feature for interfaces, but I can't find something equivalent on the Cisco. Basically I just want all internal traffic to use the default route, and external traffic to go back out whatever interface it came in on. Is this possible?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

jwh posted:

It's a shame, really, that the ASAs don't have the ability to build ipsec protected gre tunnels. They simplify a great deal, at least conceptually. And if you're coming from a routing background, having a logical interface to manipulate is an advantage.

I wish Cisco would just buy Palo Alto and extinguish the ASAs forever.

I'd be happy enough with Juniper style routed tunnels. After using a SRX, gently caress the ASA, gently caress it forever. (ASDM is still the better ACL editor though)

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

ASDM isn't bad, it's just not great.

I do really like Palo Alto, though.

I have only enough experience with Juniper / Netscreen to be annoyed by it, which I'm willing to chalk up to non-familiarity.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

BurgerQuest posted:

Is this possible?

Nope. Not that I'm aware.

edit: perhaps a complex nat facility, but really, why?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jwh posted:

Nope. Not that I'm aware.

edit: perhaps a complex nat facility, but really, why?

I'm not going to go with anything messy, in the end IP SLA will do 'ok'. I didn't think it was possible on a Cisco. Basically WAN1 is a nice unlimited satellite link, and WAN2 is an expensive slower but more reliable link we use only for out of band management. It'd be nice to be able to connect via WAN2 while WAN1 is active, but we'll settle for it working when WAN1 is down.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

jwh posted:

ASDM isn't bad, it's just not great.

I do really like Palo Alto, though.

I have only enough experience with Juniper / Netscreen to be annoyed by it, which I'm willing to chalk up to non-familiarity.

I loved Juniper/Netscreen, but I just replaced my SSG5 at home with a Palo Alto VM-100. Goddamn, it is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

BurgerQuest posted:

I have a 1921 router and I'm trying to do something it doesn't want to do. I need to allow access to things like SSH and L2TP etc from internet hosts via both its interfaces (each has a public IP on it). But all traffic from the internal networks needs go out only one of them. I'm at a loss, as it's not quite a normal load balancing scenario, nor failover. Our fortigates don't seem to have a problem doing this with the 'weight' feature for interfaces, but I can't find something equivalent on the Cisco. Basically I just want all internal traffic to use the default route, and external traffic to go back out whatever interface it came in on. Is this possible?

Put one of the interfaces in its own VRF. I am not sure if l2tp is VRF aware yet, but SSH certainly is.