Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
A few things about wand builds; The most important thing about wands is critical strike chance. Wands have the highest base critical strike chance of any weapon or spell in the game. Since increased critical strike chance is based off the base chance of the weapon or spell you're using, this means that most weapons (all swords, axes, maces and bows) with a base crit chance of 5% need 20% increased critical strike chance for every 1% additional chance to critical on hit. A prophecy wand has 8.96% base critical strike chance, which means it only needs (roughly) 11% increased critical strike chance for every 1% chance to crit. This is partly why a lot of wand builds go for heavy elemental damage; Critical hits can burn, freeze and most importantly shock mobs. The more elemental damage you do, the more damage the burn does, or the longer the freeze or shock lasts. As chill, freeze and shock duration are based on damage vs the target's maximum health and there's a cut-off minimum duration threshold, stacking all elemental damage means that when you crit (and you will crit) you'll be able to freeze and shock-stack bosses. Shock-stacked targets take up to 220% more damage from all sources. A person could hypothetically design a build (postpone crit/damage for more life nodes in hardcore) that gets 40% chance to crit when dual-wielding prophecy wands from passives alone before even factoring gear or power charges into it.

Basically what I'm saying is physical damage is really underpowered right now. Hope for some 'sunder armor' mechanics or something to show up so that shock stops being so drat amazing.

The Quake posted:

I think it's because they get movespeed bonuses almost immediately in their passive tree.

It's a nice perk (that rangers also get, and to a lesser extent marauders), but most racers I've seen just dump all their points into life and survivability. What shadows really have going for them is Poison Arrow and Fire Trap as early quest rewards. A shadow using a bow can dump a trap and a poison cloud on a group and get experience from the group dying as they move off his screen because he's still running ahead sucking down quicksilvers.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Vanguard Warden posted:

Basically what I'm saying is physical damage is really underpowered right now. Hope for some 'sunder armor' mechanics or something to show up so that shock stops being so drat amazing.

I'm hoping greatly that there's some improvement to doing physical damage, perhaps a keystone that reduces your elemental damage output but gives you some amount of armor penetration, or even adding a sunder effect onto physical damage only things, like leap slam or cleave.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Why does nobody talk about puncture? It seems to do comparable damage to burning arrow at low levels.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Mr Cuddles posted:

Why does nobody talk about puncture? It seems to do comparable damage to burning arrow at low levels.

Why use a single target DoT when Poison Arrow exists, and why use something that does zero elemental conversion as your single target attack. It's not bad to use on big bosses that you're going to be kiting around anyways, but most things shouldn't be surviving long enough for the bleed to matter.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Vanguard Warden posted:

What shadows really have going for them is Poison Arrow and Fire Trap as early quest rewards. A shadow using a bow can dump a trap and a poison cloud on a group and get experience from the group dying as they move off his screen because he's still running ahead sucking down quicksilvers.

Yeah this is basically right. Poison Arrow and Fire Trap is one of the best skill combos for short races. Shadows, Rangers, and Duelists all have access to those two skill gems via early quest rewards. But Shadows get Fire Trap immediately upon arriving at town (after killing Hillock) instead of having to wait until after you've collected all the glyphs (which is when Rangers and Duelists get access assuming you pick PA from the medical chest quest). Shadows also have the option of skipping the medical chest quest if they want and still be able to get both Fire Trap and Poison Arrow. Finally, Shadows probably have the best location in the passive tree of the three options.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There's no RNG involved with Evade, or were you referring to needing to get really good drops?

This, yes.

Mwip57
Aug 30, 2009
I'm guessing there is no way to do this but I hope there is:

Is there a way to make the reservation time for items longer or permanent when playing in a party? I play with some friends and one of them has a bad habit of looting everything.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Mwip57 posted:

I'm guessing there is no way to do this but I hope there is:

Is there a way to make the reservation time for items longer or permanent when playing in a party? I play with some friends and one of them has a bad habit of looting everything.

No, otherwise people wouldn't be complaining about it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

sentrygun posted:

Why use a single target DoT when Poison Arrow exists, and why use something that does zero elemental conversion as your single target attack. It's not bad to use on big bosses that you're going to be kiting around anyways, but most things shouldn't be surviving long enough for the bleed to matter.
Yeah they really need to figure out a way to make puncture matter. Bleed effects just seem like a waste when stuff dies so quickly.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Okay, yeah, I definitely have to be faster. People at level 12-13 with 21 min left.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Korak posted:

Yeah they really need to figure out a way to make puncture matter. Bleed effects just seem like a waste when stuff dies so quickly.

The problem with Puncture for me was that if I wanted a super safe attack that I could do hit+run with, I'd just use fire trap, poison arrow, viper strike, or something of that like. Puncture just didn't seem like it was as good as those options.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shinino Kage posted:

Okay, yeah, I definitely have to be faster. People at level 12-13 with 21 min left.

I had just dinged 8 when the leader hit 10, but my internet let me down and DCed me running through the zone after ledges and I died. I had gotten pretty lucky on drops too so I feel like I had a good shot at level 15+, oh well.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

I was pretty close to the top around level 5-6 but then I fell off hard, barely got to level 14 while killing Merveil with 10 seconds left. NO idea how to even improve my time, I hope one of the top guys recorded that poo poo because I have no clue.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I thought this race was starting an hour later. Got in 5 minutes late and died 10 minutes in. I logged out checked the forums, looked at the reward thread and realized they changed the reward tiers for achieving certain levels. Logged back in an still made it to 11 for 3 points.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

The Quake posted:

I was pretty close to the top around level 5-6 but then I fell off hard, barely got to level 14 while killing Merveil with 10 seconds left. NO idea how to even improve my time, I hope one of the top guys recorded that poo poo because I have no clue.

The guy who won the race was streaming the whole time here so you can probably find a VOD at some point and see how he did it. But, unsurprisingly, he was a Fire Trap/Poison Arrow shadow.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Ranked 234th on a shadow. The RNG gave me three drat free quicksilvers, but hosed me on portal scrolls and waypoints early on. Then I saved myself from death via logout in the caves before merveil, and logged back in to find out I forgot to grab the waypoint. I farmed XP in the coves for the last five-ten minutes, I was less than two bars from 15 and an extra point when it ended. :(

Was anyone else getting desync'd hard?

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I picked up my club and hightailed it to Hillock. Before I even got there someone had already killed him. How the gently caress?

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
That race was awesome. I never did any in closed beta, so it was my first time. From the ladder on the race forum, I'm showing up as #31 overall and #19 shadow. I slowed myself down a bit in Western once I hit my goal of 17 because I absolutely did not expect to place in the class points. I think next time I'll try pushing myself harder for level 19.

I'm curious what everyone is planning on for tomorrow's three hour races.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Grammaton posted:

I picked up my club and hightailed it to Hillock. Before I even got there someone had already killed him. How the gently caress?

Did you log out and log back in before the race started? You'll be standing up if so, which saves you a few seconds.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005
First ever race w/ no practice and I got to lvl13.5 one level before Merveil. Definitely know a lot of stuff I could have fixed but I also got really unlucky with TP scrolls and exits. Oh well, it was really fun! I'm down for partying with someone tomorrow if they want to. Vizrt?

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006
I fight for all those men who have their nuts in a vice grip
I have been trying out a elemental cleave build for the templar. So far has worked really well, but I am stuck leveling with some friends. I am looking to start a "farming" character and tried the ranger, but havent enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. I have yet to play a duelist/marauder/witch yet, which has the most potential to get to my templar level (40) to help with my need to accumulate GCB and Orbs of Xmute?

ComradePotato
Nov 7, 2010

half coke half diet posted:

I have been trying out a elemental cleave build for the templar. So far has worked really well, but I am stuck leveling with some friends. I am looking to start a "farming" character and tried the ranger, but havent enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. I have yet to play a duelist/marauder/witch yet, which has the most potential to get to my templar level (40) to help with my need to accumulate GCB and Orbs of Xmute?

Your best bet would be to trade for an item with increased item quantity mod that has little or no level requirements (pretty easy to find, I believe). Marauder would probably be your best bet, as he has lots of tanky skill nodes at the start of his tree so you can run into packs and start swinging. Also, once you get to level 24 you can start using the increased item quantity support gem to further boost your finds.

On that note, I've recently gotten a bit bored with my marauder character. He's at level 47 and is s-l-o-w-l-y ground slamming his way through Act 3 cruel. I'm sure there's some gear out there that will help, but the trade channels are such a pain to sift though, and even poe.xyz.is throws up so many results, old and new, it's hard to know where to start. Am I getting to that point in the game where I should think about crafting my own gear, or should i bite the bullet and spend a good hour trading for all new equipment.

P.S. To relieve my boredom, I started a ethereal knives Shadow build. Now this is FUN. Running around fast throwing EK linked with fork, getting those satisfying crit explosions where 20 mobs die all at once in a gory crunch. I'm halfway through Act 2 normal in HC and I'm dissolving everything in front of my. Can't wait to see how well my damage scales. And I got an exalted in the Mud Flats!

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

ComradePotato posted:

Your best bet would be to trade for an item with increased item quantity mod that has little or no level requirements (pretty easy to find, I believe). Marauder would probably be your best bet, as he has lots of tanky skill nodes at the start of his tree so you can run into packs and start swinging. Also, once you get to level 24 you can start using the increased item quantity support gem to further boost your finds.

On that note, I've recently gotten a bit bored with my marauder character. He's at level 47 and is s-l-o-w-l-y ground slamming his way through Act 3 cruel. I'm sure there's some gear out there that will help, but the trade channels are such a pain to sift though, and even poe.xyz.is throws up so many results, old and new, it's hard to know where to start. Am I getting to that point in the game where I should think about crafting my own gear, or should i bite the bullet and spend a good hour trading for all new equipment.

P.S. To relieve my boredom, I started a ethereal knives Shadow build. Now this is FUN. Running around fast throwing EK linked with fork, getting those satisfying crit explosions where 20 mobs die all at once in a gory crunch. I'm halfway through Act 2 normal in HC and I'm dissolving everything in front of my. Can't wait to see how well my damage scales. And I got an exalted in the Mud Flats!

Its funny you mention the EK shadow build. That was originally going to be my HC character but we decided to do normal and I lost interest soloing with him. Just too much mana usage, but I probably did it wrong.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

half coke half diet posted:

Its funny you mention the EK shadow build. That was originally going to be my HC character but we decided to do normal and I lost interest soloing with him. Just too much mana usage, but I probably did it wrong.

EK eats up a ton of mana, but that's because it's an insanely good spell. 100% damage effectiveness, tons of projectiles, and it's full on physical damage so you can slap Added Fire Damage on there and scale that to an extreme. According to the wiki Hatred works with it too, but I've never tested it. If there's anything bad about EK, it's that it kind of needs Projectile Speed and has minimal critical chance.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

sentrygun posted:

If there's anything bad about EK, it's that it kind of needs Projectile Speed and has minimal critical chance.

That and killing yourself on physical reflect.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

That and killing yourself on physical reflect.

Bear Traps solve every problem.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Bear traps are pretty hard to use against large groups where the rare with the aura is in the middle, not to mention the various enemies and terrain bugs that prevent you from seeing the aura effects at times.

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

Read posted:

Bear Traps solve every problem.

This is starting to seem like it is the bitter truth. I watched a few streams with the bear trap spam and they are 4-5 shotting rares at level 80+.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I have a 5 link dex/int armor ready to go for my freezing pulse shadow when he hits level 52.

What would you socket in it along with freezing pulse? I don't know whether I would be better benefitted using something like leech mana or reduced mana cost and taking more health/defense passives instead of trying to get some mana passives to support the spell.

Other option is to go full turbo mode with things like faster projectiles and cold penetration. Not entirely sure what to do.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Agent355 posted:

I have a 5 link dex/int armor ready to go for my freezing pulse shadow when he hits level 52.

What would you socket in it along with freezing pulse? I don't know whether I would be better benefitted using something like leech mana or reduced mana cost and taking more health/defense passives instead of trying to get some mana passives to support the spell.

Other option is to go full turbo mode with things like faster projectiles and cold penetration. Not entirely sure what to do.

Freezing Pulse + Faster Casting + Faster Projectiles + Added Lightning/Cold Damage + LMP/GMP and Frostbite as your curse.

e: Though you need a pretty considerable mana pool, clarity and a bunch of %regen bonuses to support this, I'd take out fast casting if you have to remove anything.

ee: Though you really don't need that much DPS as early as level 52, I think Pulse + LMP + Faster Proj is fine for most of the game.

Personally my Cold Witches 5L has Reduced Mana + Clarity + Discipline + Purity + Frostbite in it, I have LMP Ice Spear Fast Cast Totem on my shoes and single target Fast Proj Added Cold Added Crit Ice Spear on my gloves and then my Pulse is in my helmet (I swap the Totem Ice Spear into the helmet sometimes).

Read fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 23, 2013

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

So I've been really wanting to make a Fire Templar using Searing Touch. None of my characters have satisfied me yet so I'm just gonna roll this. I based this build around 1-2 builds from the forums, but it's my own.

The idea is to be able to fill the screen with fireballs at a rapid rate while maintaining mana for 3 auras and the spammability of the fireballs. Molten shell for more dps, Flammability for lowering resists / more damage, and skeleton totem for added defense.

Planned Build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-..._Fs8XbyHfem-tI=

Planned Skills:
4L Primary Single: Fireball + Faster Casting + Fire Pen + LMP
5L Primary AoE: Fireball + Faster Casting + LMP + Fork + Fire Pen
4L Secondary: Molten Shell + Chance to Ignite + Elemental Proliferation + Fire Pen
4L Auras: Reduced Mana + Clarity + Discipline + Haste (Purity for whenever needed. Swap with Haste)
5S/3L Buffs/Debuffs/Misc: Blood Rage, Flammability, Spell Totem + Summon Skeletons + Minion Life

Bandits Normal: Help Oak (+40 HP)
Bandits Cruel: Help Alira (+4% Cast Speed)
Bandits Merciless: Kill them all (+1 Passive Point)

Required Gear:
Searing Touch Staff w/ 4L or 5L
Cast speed Rings w/ mana regen if possible
Spell Damage Amulet w/ mana regen if possible
Either Pure Armor or Armor/ES gear is best.

Thoughts?

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 23, 2013

nollek
Jun 13, 2007

We speak for Earth
Downloaded this game on a whim this afternoon and made a hardcore Marauder using this build. Already level 18 and am blown away at how much this game does right over Diablo 3. Managed to kill the boss of act 1 after the longest and most stressful fight ever. She got cornered on a slim path on the side of the platform while sending constant mobs at me here:

Almost died several times but managed to tough it out. I love this game.

Edit: I have a few newbie questions I thought I'd just ask here instead of digging through endless pages:
1. I noticed I have the option to PVP in Act 2. Will I lose my hardcore if I die?
2. I have a bunch of skill gems that I notice have been leveling even if I barely use the skill (I thought it was supposed to level the more I use it?). Am I wrong thinking that the couple skills I use all the time are leveling slower because I have some useless skills equipped?
3. How does the party xp system work? If I join up with a group of people, how screwed will I be on xp/loot?

nollek fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 23, 2013

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

All skills level at the same rate just for being socketed, regardless of how many are socketed total, or how often you use each.

In a party all monsters get +50% hp and give +50% item drops. I don't know how much their damage or XP-granted goes up but it is generally considered awesomely fast/easy/great to group in this game, except for the lovely loot-timer system.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

nollek posted:

Edit: I have a couple newbie questions I thought I'd just ask here instead of digging through endless pages:
1. I noticed I have the option to PVP in act 2. Will I lose my hardcore if I die?
2. I have a bunch of skill gems that I notice have been leveling even if I barely use the skill (I thought it was supposed to level the more I use it?). Am I wrong thinking that the couple skills I use all the time are leveling slower because I have some useless skills equipped?
3. How does the party xp system work? If I join up with a group of people, how screwed will I be on xp/loot?

1. The pvp you can join by talking to the dude in town doesn't kill you permanently I don't think; if you die fighting group members during the bandit quests you will definitely get knocked to default

2. No, equipping more gems does not slow down leveling

3. slightly less loot (each party member makes 50% more loot drop, so with more than one person each person gets 75% as much loot as they would solo, but theoretically you could give gear to the person that needs it most so it's a net gain.) I'm not sure how much the XP changes with each party member, I think each member increases monster health and xp but I don't know the exact numbers. If someone does know I'd be curious too

ComradePotato
Nov 7, 2010

nollek posted:

Edit: I have a few newbie questions I thought I'd just ask here instead of digging through endless pages:
1. I noticed I have the option to PVP in Act 2. Will I lose my hardcore if I die?

1. Don't know, I've been too scared to try myself.

2. Any gem you have in slotted into the gear you have equipped (including your switched weapon option) all earn experience. I believe the xp they earn is 10% of your level xp.

3. Most loot is free for all, but there are things such as currency items (orbs, scrolls, whetstones etc) and rares (yellows) that have a timer bar with the players name above that they belong to and only that player may pick it up. Once this runs out, anyone can get it. You may like this system, you may not. Many arguments have been had in this thread about the pros and cons. Here's hoping this doesn't turn into another.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

one quirk of the loot assignment timer in groups is that it ignores the slots on items that drop: if an item is white anyone can immediately grab it. Any 6S will vendor for the equivalent of a chaos orb and a white 6L chestpiece or weapon is among the most valuable things that can drop in the game so that's pretty strange

nollek
Jun 13, 2007

We speak for Earth

Flavahbeast posted:

one quirk of the loot assignment timer in groups is that it ignores the slots on items that drop: if an item is white anyone can immediately grab it. Any 6S will vendor for the equivalent of a chaos orb and a white 6L chestpiece or weapon is among the most valuable things that can drop in the game so that's pretty strange

Not sure what 6S and 6L mean. I've been just leaving all whites on the ground and picking up only blues to sell. Should I be sifting through the whites?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

nollek posted:

Not sure what 6S and 6L mean. I've been just leaving all whites on the ground and picking up only blues to sell. Should I be sifting through the whites?

The first is an item with six sockets, the second is an item with six sockets that are all linked together.

There are a few special vendor recipes to keep note of. Always pick up six-socket items, or items with a blue, red and green socket linked together as these sell directly for jeweller/chromatic orbs. The general loot workflow I've settled into otherwise is to pick up any item with quality and sell them in batches of 40% quality for upgrade items. Quality rares get kept in storage unIDed until I can find a matching unIDed blue and white (preferably with quality) so I can upgrade all three to 20% and sell them for two alchemy orbs. I sell junk-blues unIDed, junk-rares IDed. I always pick up any flasks I find and drop a transmute on them if they're normal, because you can get pretty much any stat on a flask by item level twenty or something, and the really good mod combinations are hard as hell to come by. Any rare belts/rings/amulets with bad mods get saved up (because they're scarce as hell) for making chaos/regal orbs out of a full rare equipment set.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 23, 2013

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

nollek posted:

Should I be sifting through the whites?

Yes, for the following:
-"Superior" Items. These have an item quality modifier (5-20%). Any white or unidentified item with a 20% quality or a combination of items of the same type (weapons/armor/flasks) that exceeds 40% can be sold for an item that increases that item types quality (Blacksmith's Whetstone/Armourer's Scrap/Glassblower's Bauble). Those items will bump up item quality by 5/3/1% for White/Blue/Yellow-or-Orange items, respectively.
-Any item that has an R-G-B link. Sell these for an Chromatic Orb (re-rolls socket colors on items)
-6S and 6L items, as mentioned earlier
-Any item that has the sockets you need that you can use as a base for crafting

Otherwise, the only thing white items will net you are Scraps of Wisdom (5 Scraps = 1 Scroll of Wisdom), which are only very useful in the beginning of your first character. I have two characters in their mid-40's and another in the teens. My stash has 200 ID scrolls in it. Needless to say, I do not pick up random white items anymore.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nollek
Jun 13, 2007

We speak for Earth
Awesome, thanks guys.

• Locked thread