Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Voting for president pope

Posting from my phone so I can't quote the post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
If the pope is the president, what's the difference between the religious and the loyalists?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Magrov posted:

If the pope is the president, what's the difference between the religious and the loyalists?

The religious (theophysists) worship the divine nature of the Leader while the loyalist (androphysists) worship the corporeal nature, it's all very complicated and well explained in my next book "The Pope, The General, and the stuff in between"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

If we are going with President Pope I may have to be part of the Religious Faction instead of the People's Party.

Oh, such difficult choices.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Octomon posted:

He's soon to be out of a job...

...or is he?

Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger

Fortunate Son

Religious Appointment

After Herr Ratzinger resigns the papal submarine whisks him down the Tiber, some months later on a tropical island a new leader emerges... with a fake beard and dark glasses, natch'.

EDIT: woops, he can't be a biblical scholar.

:catholic::siren: Voting for This. :siren::catholic:

God Wills It!

edit: That flag in the background looks pretty shabby. We should have an extended discussion about it.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Another vote for the pope.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Is it possible to change Tropico's flag in-game? Like, could we add the Keys of St. Peter or something to it? Maybe the sede vacante umbrella?

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Getúlio Vargas the Man of the People who came to power in a Communist Rebellion. Yes, let us all vote for Darkest Hour's esteemed Leninist Vargas, Father of the Syndicates.

Also I'm still waiting on a party icon that uses our cornerstone comic. :colbert:

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 23, 2013

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Thiago Vargas, a Leftist Author, was installed by the USSR as part of a movement to portray Communism in a positive and popular light. Of course, they may have failed to realise that, despite his passionate and grand designs for a Communist Utopia, Thiago is no statesman.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
Edit: Changing my vote! I'm instead going for Getúlio Vargas the Man of the People who came to power in a Communist Rebellion.

Eumenides fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 23, 2013

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Is it possible to change Tropico's flag in-game? Like, could we add the Keys of St. Peter or something to it? Maybe the sede vacante umbrella?

I love Tropico's flag. It just has "generic latin american country" written all over it. Every time I see it, I ask "are we sure that's not a real flag?"

Also reminder for this page to vote for Tito Obejon. His last name means "big sheep."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Gorgo Primus posted:

Getúlio Vargas the Man of the People who came to power in a Communist Rebellion. Yes, let us all vote for Darkest Hour's esteemed Lenninist Vargas, Father of the Syndicalists.

Also I'm still waiting on a party icon that uses our cornerstone comic. :colbert:

Yes! Him

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Octomon posted:

...or is he?

Fortunate Son

Religious Appointment

After Herr Ratzinger resigns the papal submarine whisks him down the Tiber, some months later on a tropical island a new leader emerges... with a fake beard and dark glasses, natch'.

I can't not vote for El Presidente de Popo*.

*literally no language on earth works like this, but who cares?

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Gorgo Primus posted:

Getúlio Vargas the Man of the People who came to power in a Communist Rebellion. Yes, let us all vote for Darkest Hour's esteemed Lenninist Vargas, Father of the Syndicalists.

Voting for this.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

We brought a Leftist Author to power via a Velvet Revolution.

Voting for this.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Octomon posted:

...or is he?

Fortunate Son

Religious Appointment

Voting this this this.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Gorgo Primus posted:

Getúlio Vargas the Man of the People who came to power in a Communist Rebellion. Yes, let us all vote for Darkest Hour's esteemed Leninist Vargas, Father of the Syndicates.

Voting for Leninist Vargas.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 23, 2013

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Gorgo Primus posted:

I'm switching again, this time in favor of this. Sorry Pope.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

benzine posted:

Wizardo de Paradox or Wizardo de la Paradoja, Booze Baron and Bought the Election

Voting for this.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Another Otter posted:

Wizardo de Paradox de Pytheid de la Creta, Booze-Baron and Heir Apparent

At last I own a Wiz LP game before he starts!
If I recall correctly the democratic expectations are what matter most when choosing an avatar. Also the coward trait does not mix well with a rebel yell game at all.

Voting for this. I think its important that El Presidente doesn't lean too far towards one of the in game factions by being a communist or a CIA stooge. It gives too much power to the parties aligned with those factions.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

Wizardo de Paradox de Pytheid de la Creta

Born in Purple

Heir Apparent

Voting for this.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Generalissimo
Military Coup

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012
Pop Singer
Elected as a Fascist

Really not keen on the Crete-based names, can we let this LP generate its own memes rather than importing them from one that not everyone is familiar with?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The vote as it currently stands. I for one am loving how schismed this is. It really bodes well for the LP. :allears:

NAME:

17- Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger
15- Wizardo de Paradox de Pytheid de la Creta
5- Phillipus Helladid
5- Getúlio Vargas
2- El Presidente
1- Nikon Pytheid
1- Bilvio Serlusconi
1- James Taylor
1- Madonna
1- Elvis
1- Señor Guapo
1- Nikon Pytheid
1- General-Admiral Juan-Philip Diego Salvador Santamaria Carlos de Asturias y Galicia
1- Sancho Panza
1- José Aloisio de Razo
1- Martin "Tito" Obejon

BACKGROUND:

19- Fortunate Son
12- Man of the People
10- Born in the Purple
9- Pop Singer
8- Booze Baron
5- Leftist Author
2- Self-Made Man
2- Generalissimo
1- Miner
1- War Hero
1- Oil Tycoon
1- Farmer

RISE TO POWER:

19- Religious Appointment
10- Elected as Fascist
10- Heir Apparent
9- Bought the Election
6- Communist Revolution
6- Installed by the CIA
3- Velvet Revolution
2- Installed by the KGB
2- Hotel Corporate Buyout
2- Military Coup
1- Capitalist Rebellion

And I've decided that if Ratzinger wins my goal will be to emulate Cardinal Bertone. He wants a Vatican football team in FIFA and seems like the kind of guy who parties hard. Also he's involved in some sketchy poo poo at the Vatican and has been severely dirtied by the Vatileaks scandal.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 23, 2013

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm reasonably certain that there's a character limit so Wizardo de Paradox de Pytheid de la Creta wouldn't fit anyways.

edit: well color me corrected!

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 23, 2013

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Curse you'all Ratzinger fans.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm reasonably certain that there's a character limit so Wizardo de Paradox de Pytheid de la Creta wouldn't fit anyways.

Just loaded it up. It fits.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So it seems Wiz is going to go with a guy. Pity, I was hoping to nominate Carmen Sandiego, the ultimate Self-Made Woman who rose to power by Stealing the Island Buying the Election.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 23, 2013

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Gorgo Primus posted:

I'll vote this way, despite not having read the thread.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Gorgo Primus posted:

Voting this.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Gorgo Primus posted:

I am casting my support for Leninist Vargas!

Gnoll
Nov 12, 2011

my dad posted:

If we're using a puppet to run the country, then we might as well have a proper puppet.

Born in Purple, Heir Apparent

Name: Wizardo de Paradox de Pytheid de la Creta
This gets my vote.

I really need to go back and read Crete.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

my dad posted:

If we're using a puppet to run the country, then we might as well have a proper puppet.

Born in Purple, Heir Apparent

Name: Wizardo de Paradox de Pytheid de la Creta

This has my support.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Phillipus Helladid, Man of the People(populist), and elected as a fascist.

Voting for Phillipus etc. (this)

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Can we please not have our presidente be the ex-pope or some half-forgotten Crete dude? The best part of Tropico is getting into the character of the scuzzy latin dictator and most of these gimmicky suggestions run sort of counter to that. Plus I can't shake the idea that it would pretty funny for two or three sessions, but then we'd completely run out of jokes. We want to pick a character that can grow and change to provide fresh material and, most importantly, one that Wiz will know what to do with. I'm not saying you guys have to go with the dude I suggested (and I'll even hop on a different bandwagon if one starts gaining steam), but let's make something new here, not just rehash old jokes.

e: It kinda goes counter to my whole "no-gimmicks" thing, but I did think the Carmen Sandiego suggestion was pretty funny.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Duckbag posted:

e: It kinda goes counter to my whole "no-gimmicks" thing, but I did think the Carmen Sandiego suggestion was pretty funny.

Thanks. :)

e: as for your main point, this is the same bunch that figured a constitution for Germany would 'just get in the way.' At some point you have to learn to roll with terrible ideas somehow being popular.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

We were pretty much guaranteed a gimmick President the moment Wiz opened the issue up for voting. That said, I would rather have Ratzinger than Wizardo. That's just way too self-referential.

And yeah, I thought the Carmen Sandiego suggestion was pretty good.

EDIT: Gonna suggest the posters with lone votes consolidate on someone not completely useless.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 23, 2013

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Going to go for Pop Singer and Hotel Corporate Buyout. No preference on the name.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Wizardo de Paradox de Pytheid de la Creta, Man of the People, Heir Apparent is my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlie72
Apr 21, 2010
Another vote for Wizardo de Paradox de Pytheid de la Creta, Man of the People, Heir Apparent.

• Locked thread