Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

In August 1988, Newsweek quoted Vice President George H. W. Bush as saying "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever. I don't care what the facts are."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

HonorableTB posted:

Fun fact: the Soviets killed a Congressman from my district when they shot down Korean Air Lines Flight 007 on September 1, 1983.

That was Larry McDonald, who was also president of the John Birch Society . At the risk of provoking a politics derail, they're a bit unnerving too.

Ayn Rand posted:

I gather they believe that the disastrous state of today's world is caused by a communist conspiracy. This is childishly naive and superficial. No country can be destroyed by a mere conspiracy, it can be destroyed only by ideas.

When Ayn Rand thinks you're a right-wing wacko...

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

HonorableTB posted:

Fun fact: the Soviets killed a Congressman from my district when they shot down Korean Air Lines Flight 007 on September 1, 1983. I'm really surprised that there were no reprisals or anything to come out of a Soviet Major shooting down a civilian airliner using his Su-15 and killing a sitting member of the United States government. I know MAD would prevent anything serious from happening, but if any other country had done that then there would have been major reprisals following it.

Are you kidding? Israel sunk a US intelligence ship in 1967 and JFK didn't say "boo". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT
Of course, that might have been because JFK had been dead 4 years by then.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

redmercer posted:

Are you kidding? Israel sunk a US intelligence ship in 1967 and JFK didn't say "boo". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident

Yeah, but Israel apologized and paid an indemnity for it. That's quite a bit different than killing a sitting member of the US government, even if he was just a Representative.

Look a sunflower
Jan 6, 2010

There may be a boogeyman or boogeymen in the house.

Tex Avery posted:

Scary train disasters? How about running a train, everything is fine, but then all of a sudden coming around a curve and seeing this?

Yeah, that's a passenger train coming at you. Your combined speeds are roughly 80 mph. The jackass driving the other train didn't see a red signal because he was texting. You're about to be involved in one of the deadliest rail accidents in the United States.

This accident really changed the way the Federal Railroad Administration viewed using "Personal Portable Electronic devices", or PPE. They don't gently caress around with this kind of stuff now. When I was going through my rules class to become a train conductor, the man who would be my boss told me that if we were ever found to be using PPEs while running trains, we'd be fired, which is really, REALLY unfortunate because he's good friends with the FRA inspector for the region, and he would report such use immediately. The FRA man would then give us a personal fine of a couple of thousand dollars, if I recall correctly, which we probably couldn't pay because we were broke from being unemployed!

Man, this disaster is one that hits super close to home for me. The train with the idiot texting conductor was between Chatsworth and Simi Valley, the latter of which is my hometown. I took that very train home all the time from college and I had a friend who died in that accident.

Simi Valley has all kinds of sinister events like that, considering how small and peaceful a town it's supposed to be. It was the site of the Rodney King trial which triggered the Los Angeles race riots in the early 90's. It houses part of the Spahn ranch where Charles Manson and his followers lived, and Ronald Reagan is buried there. I like to think that it's basically Derry.

To contribute, I've always enjoyed letting myself be creeped out by the postulations offered to resolve the Fermi Paradox, which contrasts the mathematical likelihood of intelligent extraterrestrial life with the apparent lack of evidence available. I think it nags at me because one of these things, or another similar explanation, has to be true - there simply is intelligent life somewhere else in the universe, or there is not - and both possibilities are mind boggling. I'm very skeptical when it comes to paranormal phenomena on earth, but sometimes I feel like I would give anything to just know what or who else is out there, whether they know about us, etc. I think the most likely explanation is that there are other thinkers out there but that the scale of the universe is just too massive to ever facilitate a meeting, at least between us and anyone else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

I also get a pang of jealousy when I consider that there might be a solar system out there that's just teeming with life and everyone gets to visit all sorts of other planets and it's totally normal and they have friends there and everything :mad:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Look a sunflower posted:

To contribute, I've always enjoyed letting myself be creeped out by the postulations offered to resolve the Fermi Paradox, which contrasts the mathematical likelihood of intelligent extraterrestrial life with the apparent lack of evidence available. I think it nags at me because one of these things, or another similar explanation, has to be true - there simply is intelligent life somewhere else in the universe, or there is not - and both possibilities are mind boggling. I'm very skeptical when it comes to paranormal phenomena on earth, but sometimes I feel like I would give anything to just know what or who else is out there, whether they know about us, etc. I think the most likely explanation is that there are other thinkers out there but that the scale of the universe is just too massive to ever facilitate a meeting, at least between us and anyone else.

I also get a pang of jealousy when I consider that there might be a solar system out there that's just teeming with life and everyone gets to visit all sorts of other planets and it's totally normal and they have friends there and everything :mad:

The spookiest answers to the Fermi Paradox involve some form of "cosmic censoring", where either something that happens regularly in nature (like a supernova exploding nearby) or something that is expected to happen to all sentient races (like the discovery of nuclear technology) causes any intelligent life to be either completely wiped out or very seriously hampered before they even have a chance to colonize planets. The idea is that there's an enormous brick wall intrinsic to the nature of the universe that lies between the whole "intelligent life" stage and the "actually colonizing space en masse" stage. We could have already gotten past this brick wall, or it could still be in front of us, waiting to kick our rear end back to the stone age in a literal sense.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

HonorableTB posted:

Yeah, but Israel apologized and paid an indemnity for it. That's quite a bit different than killing a sitting member of the US government, even if he was just a Representative.

Flight 007 did overfly a fairly significant chunk of Soviet territory during one of the most tense periods of the cold war. The Soviets were never going to apologize for that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

I tried to find a good page on it, but I can't but it's always been something that interests me.

A load of microbiologists (I believe between twelve and fifteen) from all over the world turn up dead in a suspiciously short period of time, many of them found in mysterious circumstances. There are rumors of them working on secret projects, government cover ups etc.

If anyone can find a wikipedia page or something even remotely reliable that would be great.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Captain_Indigo posted:

I tried to find a good page on it, but I can't but it's always been something that interests me.

A load of microbiologists (I believe between twelve and fifteen) from all over the world turn up dead in a suspiciously short period of time, many of them found in mysterious circumstances. There are rumors of them working on secret projects, government cover ups etc.

If anyone can find a wikipedia page or something even remotely reliable that would be great.

The closest thing to reliable I can find is this New York Times magazine article. The rest of everything I've found has been some variation of :tinfoil: conspiracy sites, including one that was seriously called "Chemtrail Central."

Honestly, to me it sounds more like people wanting to see some big bad government conspiracy more than anything else.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of microbiology, let's learn about Toxoplasma gondii! It's a behavior-altering protist that mostly goes between cats and rodents but sometimes gets caught up in humans as well. It's been linked to all sorts of mental disorders that lend credence to the "crazy cat lady" stereotype and can kill your baby if you clean the catbox while pregnant. An estimated ONE THIRD of all humans on earth harbor this parasite (usually in an inactive form in healthy adults), with higher prevalence in poor countries due to contaminated soil and water, or undercooked red meat. According to the Center for Disease Control, you can find it in 22.5% of the US population. That's over one in five.

There are more than five people posting in this thread.

Which one of you is it?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

General Panic posted:

Of course, that might have been because JFK had been dead 4 years by then.
Wouldn't "boo" have been one of the few things he would have been capable of saying? :ghost:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TunaSpleen posted:

Speaking of microbiology, let's learn about Toxoplasma gondii! It's a behavior-altering protist that mostly goes between cats and rodents but sometimes gets caught up in humans as well. It's been linked to all sorts of mental disorders that lend credence to the "crazy cat lady" stereotype and can kill your baby if you clean the catbox while pregnant. An estimated ONE THIRD of all humans on earth harbor this parasite (usually in an inactive form in healthy adults), with higher prevalence in poor countries due to contaminated soil and water, or undercooked red meat. According to the Center for Disease Control, you can find it in 22.5% of the US population. That's over one in five.

Which one of you is it?

My family has 4 cats (down from 5 becuase one died :() so yeah, I must me riddled with that poo poo.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TunaSpleen posted:

Which one of you is it?

Pretty much anyone who's worked at a hospital for more than a month is harboring Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) somewhere in their person. Like all Staph infections, the bastard hides out and waits until you're weak, and then rages like a forest fire through your body. Assuming that I live long enough to grow old and have a weakened immune system, it's quite possible that MRSA will be what kills me.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

TunaSpleen posted:

Which one of you is it?

I'm convinced that this thing is the only reason anyone likes cats.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

TunaSpleen posted:

Which one of you is it?

Ehhhh your baby would only be endangered if you are gross and get poop from an infected cat on your hands, and then put them in your mouth without washing (provided you weren't already infected with Toxoplasma). Indoor cats + regular litter scooping + hand washing takes away much of the risk, too. I would guess that most first-worlders are more likely to get it from poorly cooked meat. "Crazy Rh negative rare-meat loving guy" might be a more accurate stereotype, given the behavior changes that have actually been studied, but it's less catchy.

Naegleria fowleri gets my vote for the scariest protist. Just the idea that one day you could get tap water up your nose, or go swimming in a lake, and get infected with something that gives you a ~98% chance of dying. Nevermind going crazy, these things straight up eat your brain:

Wikipedia posted:

From there, the amoeba climbs along nerve fibers through the floor of the cranium via the cribriform plate and into the brain. The organism begins to consume cells of the brain piecemeal by means of a unique sucking apparatus extended from its cell surface.

Infection is rare, but I still look at fresh water askance.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

TunaSpleen posted:

OMG crazy poo poo! (but only blah blah blah)

Most people get it from eating raw meat, cats only get it from eating mice, and the only way people can get it from cats is if they lick their hands after picking up cat poo poo from cats that have eaten mice infected with it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

TunaSpleen posted:

Which one of you is it?

It's not me, because I was tested for it. Which surprised me, because I grew up in the country with outdoor cats and all (toddlers not being the best judges of when not to pick up poop and when to wash hands before eating).

Castle Bidimar
Mar 27, 2012

by T. Finninho
I'm perfectly happy with carrying a parasite that tells me to go to cats.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Telemaze posted:

Infection is rare, but I still look at fresh water askance.

Nothing like a good biology education to completely put me off of waterparks and public pools for life.

Castle Bidimar posted:

We'll see how happy you are when you're old and immunocompromised. The good news is it inhibits Alzheimer's, ADD/ADHD, and erectile dysfunction; the bad news is it produces encephalitis, schizophrenia, and suicidal behavior instead.

Castle Bidimar
Mar 27, 2012

by T. Finninho
But cats.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Castle Bidimar posted:

One of us.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Look a sunflower posted:

I was discussing this with a friend of mine, and we're both relatively smart space nerds (He's an astrologist turn of the century spiritualist with a focus on the understanding of the celestials for a start). I was discussing with him the various alternative reasons that we don'd see Aliens everywhere and we both came to the same conclusion pretty quickly.

The fact is, there isn't really any reason to colonize anywhere but the solar system, and Fermi works off the assumption that you would, eventually, need to seek out other life-supporting planets. The truth is, that's kind of a bad idea for space colonization and the better plan is to just build colonies in space. Minerals are much more plentiful in asteroid belts and Near Planetary Objects, as well as easier to acquire, and when you're up there, you have infinite free power from incredibly more efficient solar energy.

Obviously if a species was at this level, inevitably some people would up and go check out their version of the nearest habitable planet, but it'd probably be at a much reduced pace than Fermi says. Basically, it could be that Alien civilizations just deem physical extra-solar exploration somewhat pointless and a waste of resources. Its a bit less dramatic than a super powerful alien conspiracy, or that they all wipe themselves out 100% of the time, but it makes sense.

Nemesis Of Moles has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Feb 24, 2013

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

(He's an astrologist for a start)

I know what you meant, but I can't stop cracking up at this typo.

"Ahhhhh, yes, I see that Jupiter is in the eighth house, with Sagittarius rising, which indicates that we are unlikely to ever come into contact with an extraterrestrial race."

It's late.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

"Ahhhhh, yes, I see that Jupiter is in the eighth house, with Sagittarius rising, which indicates that we are unlikely to ever come into contact with an extraterrestrial race."

It's late.

Don't worry, I chuckled too.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
The atomic bomb is usually the highpoint of atrocity committed against civilians during WWII, and rightfully so. However, well before this bomb was dropped, firebombings were regularly carried out by German and British armies. And firebombings were loving horrifying.

The bombing of Hamburg carried out by the RAF was particularly hellish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Hamburg_in_World_War_II

quote:

The unusually warm weather and good conditions meant that the bombing was highly concentrated around the intended targets and also created a vortex and whirling updraft of super-heated air which created a 1,500-foot-high tornado of fire, a totally unexpected effect

Imagine a tornado of fire, fifteen hundred feet high in your city. For me personally, I cannot even wrap my head around that, and to put it into perspective that's taller than the Sears Tower in Chicago.

quote:

The tornadic fire created a huge inferno with winds of up to 240 km/h (150 mph) reaching temperatures of 800 °C (1,500 °F) and altitudes in excess of 1,000 feet, incinerating more than eight square miles (21 km²) of the city. Asphalt streets burst into flame, and fuel oil from damaged and destroyed ships, barges, and storage tanks spilled into the water of the canals and the harbor, causing them to ignite as well.

I cannot imagine the carnage. If you walked on the asphalt, you would literally melt into it. There was a report of a man doing just that, and then instinctively pushing down the ground with his hands to free himself. You can infer what happens next.

Happen to be in an air raid shelter during this time? Tough poo poo. All the oxygen is burning up above you, and you will soon suffocate to death.

quote:

Operation Gomorrah killed 42,600 people, left 37,000 wounded and caused some one million German civilians to flee the city.[3] The city's labour force was reduced permanently by ten percent.[3] Approximately 3,000 aircraft were deployed, 9,000 tons of bombs were dropped, and over 250,000 homes and houses were destroyed. No subsequent city raid shook Germany as did that on Hamburg; documents show that German officials were thoroughly alarmed, and there is some indication from later Allied interrogations of Nazi officials that Hitler stated that further raids of similar weight would force Germany out of the war.

Britain was not playing around. They were retaliating will full force for what Germany had done during the blitz.

It has given me several nightmares when I heard a survivor talk about his experience during the bombing of Hamburg. British officials called it the "Hiroshima of Germany".

:nws:http://imgur.com/xXuYHRq,eIVFmDD,i0lZTSE:nws:
http://imgur.com/xXuYHRq,eIVFmDD,i0lZTSE#1

dk2m has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Feb 24, 2013

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
There's an excellent A. C. Grayling book called Among The Dead Cities about the ethics of that kind of bombing, and whether it can ever be justified.
http://www.amazon.com/Among-Dead-Cities-History-Civilians/dp/0802715656

There's an interactive map of the Blitz bombing here - http://bombsight.org/#12/51.4894/-0.1150 - but I don't think anything like this has been attempted for places like Dresden. Not enough red ink, I imagine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast also has an episode where he talks about the reasoning behind the mass bombings of WWII and the history of aerial warfare.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for that - I'm downloading it now.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT
I think you've got the Wikipedia link a bit wrong, dk2m, as it doesn't lead to an actual page.

For content, the most controversial of the Allied bombing raids on Germany was this one - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden_in_World_War_II. As you can tell from the page, the debate still rages about the morality of it all.

The decision to bomb even involved a guy called Sir Douglas Evill. :black101:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

If we're at the topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_destruction_of_Warsaw / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pabst_Plan - a plan to destroy entire capital city, including all its historic heritage.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity
Thanks for the posts about the consequences of Allied actions. Growing up in the UK, when you think of WWII you think of Churchill, Spitfires and the Blitz spirit, but you don't hear much about some of the terrible things that were done. The Dambusters raids are very well known, positively iconic, but we tend to focus on the technological feat and nothing much is said about the number of casualities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

What was it? 'they have sown the wind, now they will reap the whirlwind'. It was straight up revenge, regardless of the military reasoning. We forget in Britain that we were total stone cold bastards.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

dk2m posted:

The atomic bomb is usually the highpoint of atrocity committed against civilians during WWII, and rightfully so. However, well before this bomb was dropped, firebombings were regularly carried out by German and British armies. And firebombings were loving horrifying.

"The highpoint of atrocity against civilians in WWII"? Really? Really? The Einsatzkommandos behind the Russian front, rounding up entire villages for revenge against partisan actions and shooting every man, woman and child don't rate? The millions of civilians starved, beaten, shot and raped to death by the Japanese in China and Germans in Russia are just kinda bad? Literally millions of people herded into buildings specifically designed to kill them as efficiently as possible only second place?

We can argue the ethics of fire bombing all we want, but for the love of god, get some loving perspective. I'm not saying German or Japanese civilians "had it coming", but calling the bombs the worst atrocity of the war belittles the monstrosity that was the Holocaust and the wars against non-Westeners. Maybe its an outgrowth of American Exceptionalism or something, where everything noteworthy about the war had to have happened because of America while the rest of the world just kinda went along.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Though I think some of these might have been posted, have some disasters and weird, weird parasites.

It's not a tornado until it's a tri-state tornado.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

It's late.

Oops, my bad. Fixed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Uganda Railway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenya-Uganda_Railway 2498 workers died because of fights with natives, illnesses and man eating lions. And all they accomplished was to beat the Germans in a pissing concept.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

RNG posted:

Though I think some of these might have been posted, have some disasters and weird, weird parasites.

My grandma survived the Tri-State Tornado. She was a baby in Owensville, Indiana, the town between Griffin (which was obliterated) and Princeton.

Boring Person
Mar 21, 2012

by T. Finninho

RNG posted:

Tornadoes scare the gently caress out of me and always have. My mom,my aunt and my cousins survived the one in Xenia,Ohio. My mom told me it got pitch black and that was when she knew to take my cousins into the basement. Last year this happened http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_March_2012_tornado_outbreak and holy poo poo I thought my family was going to die because the tornado that killed 6 people in East Bernstadt was only a few miles away,we didn't know exactly where it hit at the time so we were planning to go into the hallway with a mattress over us and hope the upper floor didn't fall on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

"The highpoint of atrocity against civilians in WWII"? Really? Really? The Einsatzkommandos behind the Russian front, rounding up entire villages for revenge against partisan actions and shooting every man, woman and child don't rate? The millions of civilians starved, beaten, shot and raped to death by the Japanese in China and Germans in Russia are just kinda bad? Literally millions of people herded into buildings specifically designed to kill them as efficiently as possible only second place?

We can argue the ethics of fire bombing all we want, but for the love of god, get some loving perspective. I'm not saying German or Japanese civilians "had it coming", but calling the bombs the worst atrocity of the war belittles the monstrosity that was the Holocaust and the wars against non-Westeners. Maybe its an outgrowth of American Exceptionalism or something, where everything noteworthy about the war had to have happened because of America while the rest of the world just kinda went along.

Sorry, you're right. I was a little scatterbrained, I should have clarified that I meant atrocity via aerial warfare because many people automatically tend to think of the droppings of the bombs when that topic is brought up. Didn't mean to insult or anything.

Thanks for the Dan Carlin reccommendation as well, I enjoyed it.

• Locked thread