Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Annalise Ardenne

The guards don't seem too bothered about their tardiness, which is something of a relief - she wasn't sure they could have bluffed their way through too many questions. Apparently the coal shuttle is not the most punctual of deliveries at the best of times. She tips her hat to Thrakass, acknowledging his instructions "Sure thing boss, we'll take care of it."

Annalise eyes the Bulldog as they move past it and through the open door, trying to absorb as much information without obviously gawking. Even if it's set up for simple labor, those hands and hook would be lethal. If they're lucky, it's configured to listen to Thrakas alone and there might not be someone on the night shift who can direct it as easily.

Once inside, Annalise ducks ahead of Slagg and the cart, glancing around the racks and trying to spot anything of interest. For the benefit of anyone who might be listening - or watching them out of notice - she makes a point checking the clearance on the cart and giving Slagg directions as them move toward their target "Easy there, watch the left - no, other left! Everything in here's worth more'n us, so take it careful."

Hopefully we'll pass under the radar as people just doing our menial job - let's not delay too much on the way to the coal bin, as Jed and Julian probably got a good look at the racks in their inspection. Is there anything else around the bin to give an indication of what the coal is for or where it ends up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Delivery

Annalise spots the corner where the chest is located, it's at the far end of the wall they're delivering the cart to. A massive hopper is set on floor, ready to be winched back up to clear the aisle.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Finally getting to the far end Slagg stops and begins to unload the coal, doing as good a job as he can at playing the part of a somewhat slow laborer, one that would be necessary to have a minder like Annalise. Hopefully the little trek through the warehouse allowed him, and Annalise, to get a good idea of the layout. And hopefully the coal will do its part for the next step of the plan.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Getting to the bin safely, they should be out of the sight of the door and the guards' immediate attention. From Julian they know there are at least two other people who will be in the building, but hopefully Stonks and Mary don't spend their time simply wandering the warehouse floor - all that alchemisting requires careful attention to tubes and beakers and so forth, right? Still, better to play it safe - Annalise settles into her role as a minder for a few minutes while Slagg gets to shoveling. "Alright, get it loaded - carefully! - don't want spilt coal everywhere."

While pretending to monitor Slagg, she scans the are they can see for any sign of other workers on the floor or supervisors roaming about. Assuming that they seem to be in the clear for a minute, she'll stray away from the bin and Slagg's work, first to look up and see if there is anything up where the coal hoists to, and then to see if she can spot any other 'jacks stored around. It couldn't be easy to hide a couple of Lancers, even if a big warehouse.

Does the hopper just lift the coal out of the way, or is there some sort of machinery/steamworks up above that it's feeding into? Or a conveyor or something that moves it elsewhere? Annalise is also trying to spot any other 'jacks, but she'll be cautious about moving too far from their work area and try to keep an eye out for anyone headed their way

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The pulley system is designed to get the coal up and off the floor to clear the aisle. You see a few dozen people wandering through the warehouse checking inventory and tagging things for relocation or delivery. You don't see any Lancers patrolling the are but there are plenty of piles of crates that could be hiding one. You do, however see a Docker near the back, standing idle. Its eyes show the telltale flicker of heartflame but it seems to be in standby at the moment. For the moment it doesn't look like anyone is paying you two any attention at all.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She glances over to check on Slagg's steady progress and make a guess on how much time they can draw this out before it seems strange. As long as the troll is moving at a regular pace no one will probably pay much mind for a while; that's a big hopper and quite a load. With no other machinery in sight, it seems like the coal is intended to power the Bulldog and the dozing Docker in the rear. That's two jacks more than she'd like, and good to know that one is lurking in the rear.

The number of workers circulating makes her nervous about haring off, but there's hardly a point in their subterfuge unless she's going to make the best of it. What's the worst that could happen? Unless she tries to take something, if she's caught she might get thrown out with a couple bruises and have a complaint sent to her 'employer'. That would be a fair trade for the right information. She looks back to Slagg, lowering her voice "Keep an eye for anyone who looks like they're in charge - I'm going to look around."

It seems like the warehouse has enough 'jacks to do any hauling they might need - certainly for the trunk. If they have any lurking for security, it seems like they'd keep them together for easy maintenance and control - unless Stonks employees a half-dozen skilled marshals. With that in mind, she moves toward the nearest pile of crates that could conceivably hide a pair of 'jacks. Her luck never seemed to come up on with dice or cards - maybe it will hold out now.

We know a little bit more, but I figure it's time to go for broke. Annalise will try to snoop around and see if she can spot any other 'jacks or anything else of interest. She's bound to be stopped or questioned eventually, but we'll see what she can find out first. However, she'll avoid heading for the trunk in case that draws attention to their real interest.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Slagg grunts an affirmative, and continues the slow task of transferring the coal. While he does so he tries to keep an eye out as Annalise asked, without making it obvious that he is doing so.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Inside Group
3 on the dice for Slagg's lookout roll...
You've checked a few likely piles of crates but didn't find any advanced warjacks hiding in them. You see one more likely spot near by when

"Can I help you?"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Unalerted to the approaching worker, Annalise turns quickly to face the question. Fortunately being caught out isn't a total surprise, and she knows the best way to not be questioned overmuch is to act that you aren't doing anything wrong in the first place. She starts by flashing the woman a quick smile, although many people don't find that too terribly comforting.

"Maybe you can, ma'am. I'm with the delivery crew." She waves over at Slagg, who is still at work. "Boss told us to make sure there weren't any spare carts left around - said he thought the last delivery left one by accident. We weren't the last team through, so I wasn't sure where it might have been left. Know anything about it? I figured it wouldn't be left by the hopper, you wanting to keep that area clear and all." She motions to the lift system, then squints off down one of the warehouse aisles. Ten to one she's about to get told off for poking around instead of just asking Thrakas, but as long as they look incompetent and not suspicious it'll be alright.

Busted. Let's hope Mary has a low opition of coalmen and their capabilities

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Delivery

She squints at you for a moment. "I think Mr. Thrakas had that by the main door. Let me go check, I'll be right back."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Of course, the Bulldog had moved that empty cart out front while they were standing there, which is going to make them look pretty dense. Annalise tries for her best puzzled look. "At the main door? Hmm. Thanks for checking on it, ma'am."

While Mary is investigating the cart is probably the last chance they'll have to gain any more insight. She's a fair distance from the door, and hopefully Mary will have at least a brief exchange with Thrakas to clear up the cart issue. Hopefully that's enough time. As soon as Mary has turned a corner, Annalise will duck over to check that last spot she noticed before she was caught. She doesn't want to compound any trouble, so she'll make it as quick as she can and then get back to where she was supposed to be waiting.

If Annalise can't make it back to the spot, she'll try to at least make it look like she was headed back over toward Slagg - presuming the layout allows that to make any sort of sense. Not sure if Slagg can squeeze in any useful stuff during this time, sorry you're stuck loading!

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Delivery

This last collection of crates is the largest yet. A few of them bear a painted Cygnus, but they're too big, and too tightly packed to shift.

You can see Mary, as well as one of the guards, working their way back down the aisles...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Looks like times up for this search. Annalise heads back to where Mary had left her, hoping that she can get there without her further snooping being noticed or suspected. She'll adopt an appropriately concerned look, which is only partly faked - there is always a chance things can go ugly, although the fact that Slagg is around and might take poorly to her being roughed up probably helps.

When the pair gets close enough, she'll try to head off anything with her own opening. "So is it up front, then? I'm real sorry for any trouble, me and him -" she nods toward Slagg "- are fresh on the job and only instructions we got was to put our banks into it. Boss is big on self-training."

Those big crates with the Cygnus on them certainly give her pause. Certainly it's no surprise that the Crucible would be dealing directly with the authorities, supplying all sorts of things for the war effort, but who knows what's in them. On the other hand, if it's 'jacks that are tucked away there they hardly seem ready to start and fight on short notice, and it would be hard for anyone to do so in the middle of a fight. So maybe the two labor 'jacks are the big hitters to look our for.

I feel like I'm basically monopolizing the narrative for the last couple days - sorry guys! Once this wraps we can get back to the group effort, I didn't intend to be a scene hog.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Delivery

The guard runs his eyes over Annalise, and subtly shifts his grip on the hilt of his short sword. The blade's staying sheathed but he looks like he's willing to change that if needed. "Yeah.. that was the cart that Grips tossed out for you," he drawls, as he steps just a bit closer to Mary. "You two 'bout done," this isn't posed as a question, "Thrakas has your fee when you leave."

This guard isn't going to let you out of his sight, unless there's anything else you want to do you'll collect a bag of 60 gold crowns from Thrakas and get a long, wary look from him as you leave.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

By this time Slagg is hopefully done and making his way back with the now empty cart. He acts oblivious to the tension in the air, and tiredly mumbles "all done."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She's suddenly glad she decided to leave most of her weapons with the others - her holdout and knife are out of sight, and hopefully the guard won't decide he needs to start hacking at an unarmed delivery grunt, even one acting as odd as she has. It's a relief when the imposing bulk of Slagg looms, both for the backup and cue to leave. "All done, sure, and we'll get that cart on the way out. Sorry for the mix-up."

She looks up to Slagg and claps him on the back. "Next time I'll shovel and you take charge, seems like I'll miss my own boots next." Hoping the guard is less on edge with them safely under watch and on their way out, she'll head toward the front door, helping to guide the cart through the warehouse without causing any more problems. She mutters under her breath, loud enough for an attentive guard to catch. "First day and already fouling up the job, the boss will put me on pit duty for a week if he keeps me on."

Assuming we get out of here clean, it's time to reconvene with the others and get any final details of the plan nailed down. I figure that we can either take the fee and dump the carts somewhere - Slagg earned that cash! - or Slagg can take the carts back and probably lose the fee. Not sure if we have any use for the carts in the heist that would make one worth keeping?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Keep the fee and drop the carts somewhere!

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Okay, let's assume this scene is done. Come up with a plan on how to actually get in and get the crate in the evening. You know where it is in the warehouse, have the rendezvous spot from your client, and some intel from inside. Now you just need a plan.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
No plans? Want to just smash cut to the interior?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Whoops, looks like we hive-minded over to the recruitment thread to hash out our plans! It looks like we are planning on picking up the boat earlier, and coming in to the dock at the planned shift change - Annalise and Julian will stay near the boat and hold the dock, while the others smash in through the back door. If there are jacks running we'll try to keep them tied up while Slagg smashes and Jed booms and hopefully get the chest back out to the boat. Julian and Annalise will provide ranged support and backup as needed, I think. If the whole thing goes to hell and we can't get back to the boat, we'll plan to haul the chest down the dead-drop alley that Collin found.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Yeah, if we have enough time, Jed will run out and buy the ingredients to brew up a batch of Vitriolic Fire to help breach the warehouse (or just buy it if time is critical).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Anyone have last minute plan changes besides what's in the OOC thread? Or are we set to roll here?

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
lets go

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

I'm ready, just have to adjust my cash to buy a few smoke and rust grenades.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Sorry, been working 14+ hours a day lately. Who is at the wall Slagg is breaching, which wall is it, and is anyone going through the windows up top?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Collin is going to be on the wall breach team, running anti-'jack duty.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Going to try and run a summary based on what we have posted, hopefully this isn't horribly wrong:

The group is getting the boat and sailing to the dock behind the warehouse as a group. At that point we split into two teams:

Wall Breach/Smash and Grab:
- Slagg
- Jed
- Collin
- Jeff

Fire Team/Boat Guards:
- Annalise
- Julian

Smash and Grab is, I think, going through the back wall/door closest to the dock, so that we can haul the trunk back out that way to the boat so that we can make our escape. Fire Team keeps the exit clear and watches for any other interference/support while shooting stuff. I don't think anyone is going up the windows, it'll split up the party too much if things go south.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Thats the plan

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Your boat bobs quietly few dozen yards upstream of the dock. The old hand at the prow snuffed out the lamp shortly after punting out onto the 'Tounge. The muffled oars drive the small craft forward until it beaches itself on a nearly hidden patch of sand. While many buildings in Corvis are still lit, the industrial district is nearly pitch black at night, with only the occasional lamp showing in a window. All you hear as you jog to your position is your own breath and the occasional clink of your equipment.

Julian and Annalise take up position near the boat, offering a good field of fire over the mercifully empty dock. Slag and the rest of the inside team hustle to a wall that should be near where the chest is. With a one last nod Slagg places his hand on the side of the wall and beings the assault.

Dozens of arcane runes, suddenly and painfully bright flash down the length of Slagg's arm. They spin in concentric circles for a moment before rushing forward and obliterating a few dozen square feet of brick and wood. Pouring into the building and spreading out, you ready your weapon as sudden roar of Slagg's spell quiets down to the occasional tinkle of falling rubble.

What is everyone's first order of business.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Cringing slightly at the amount of noise Slagg made, Jeff draws his weapon. Thumbing the small switch on the rapier's hilt to activate its mechanika, he hurries into the breach.

Jeff will go in and head towards the trunk. If he sees any workers/guards he'll cast

Razor Wind | Cost: 2 | Range: 10
AoE: - | POW: 12 | Upkeep: No | Offensive: Yes
A blade of wind slices through the target

And add two fatigue points to boost attack and damage, since he has ARC 4.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

With the wall out of the way, and with Jeff taking the lead with his spell primed, Slagg casually enters the hole. He begins to head for the trunk. With any luck he will be able to carry it out before any enemy can respond.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Gas mask in place, alchemical grenade bandoleer slung, Jed followed Slagg into the warehouse. Ready to throw down smoke to cover themselves, and hoping they didn't need the rust grenades if the 'jacks showed up. Guess any chance of making an account here just went up in smoke, he thought.

If we get attacked by a group of goons (or a 'jack), I'll throw the smoke grenade to cover us while we move.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

As the others prepare to break in, she tugs her mask into place - small help it might be, she's probably one of the more identifiable of the group should she be spotted. Slagg's blast is startlingly loud in the cold night air, and she can't help but flinch at the roar of shattering masonry. That's one way to knock - hopefully people won't be overly eager to explore why the Alchemist's warehouse is exploding, and they have some time to move.

She slides a quarrel into her crossbow, raising the butt to her shoulder to stand ready to fire as she scans the docks for any trouble.

Annalise will stay by the boat for now. She'll keep an eye for any interference headed along the docks toward them, while waiting to see how smoothly things go for the inside team

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Inside Group
After such a loud entrance the warehouse is eerily quiet. The only sound is your group's footsteps as you work your way towards the last place you saw the trunk. Jeff spots the Bulldog standing against one wall, it's rent open boiler sitting beside it, a victim of your earlier subterfuge. You find the cage where you left it, locked and quiet in the corner.

Outside Group
The Warehouse is dead silent. No lights have come on, no motion outside either.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Collin

Collin feels a rush down his spine, a combination of adrenaline and the boost to his nerves from his armor. He drops to a knee and covers the others.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Slagg looks around, more than a little surprised and suspicious at the lack of activity. But hopes that it just means that the place is dead at night. He continues heading toward the trunk's location, keeping an eye out for any enemies.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

No workers, even without the hole knocked in the wall? Jed thought. This doesn't feel good...

Keeping his weapons at the ready, Jed looks for any signs of ambush or trouble as they approach the cage.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

He knew the guardsman had said security would be light this time of night, but this was too easy. Nothing is ever too easy. In the time after he was forced to flee his village and live on his own, Jeff grew a wary sense of paranoia. So too did his time with Felbrakes mercenary company have him grow a sense for ambush. This reeked of it. "Jed, toss one of those smokes between us and the rest of the warehouse, but not between us and the cage"

Taking full advantage of my high SPD to run the rest of the way to the cage. Also if possible attack the lock with the spell from the previous post.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 8, 2013

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Julian di Lioni

Julian moves a few steps away from Annalise and crouches behind cover. "Tell me if you spot anything," he whispers, even though he knows he's saying the obvious.

As moments pass, Julian too grows suspicious. Annalise is watching the docks, so he turns around and peers into the darkness over the river. Calm down. Everything is going as planned. Except for the part where we kill people, of course. Suddenly, he felt like a pawn in a game, about to be sacrificed. Everything's going swimmingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She nods to Julian's request and then, realizing that he won't see that while scanning the river, adds in a hushed voice. "Nothing so far. Maybe they're keeping their heads down." Hell, if she was guarding a store of dangerous chemicals and something went off, she wouldn't be running to find out what. They might be waiting to see how much of the building comes down, and not even realize that it's a break in.

At least, that's what she tells herself as the silence stretches out uncomfortably. Maybe it's possible that everything is just going perfectly. She glances over to the baot, making sure that the pilot is sitting tight and hasn't decided that he wants to bail out on this whole venture. Not being part of their gang, he'd be the weak point.

• Locked thread