Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extreme dildo nun
Aug 13, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I know I'm a little late but I have to say my favorite part of this post is that you made it through the rest of the movies in the list without any objections, which means that in your universe, everything I said in that post was serious up until the Spinal Tap part. And that is hilarious to think about.

I'm glad someone got the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NoneSuch posted:

I watched Day of Reckoning last night and I didn't like it too much, I was with friends and we were all a little drunk so I missed a bunch of dialogue and there's two moments which could induce fits because of the flashing lights. Scott Adkins is really awesome at martial arts though and the fight scenes were great.

When I first saw it I was plastered and could barely pay attention to it, its way too talky to be a drunk movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Xena: Warrior Princess holds up better than I would expect. Don't get me wrong, it's a cheesy B swords and sorcery movie done as a weekly show, but it's self aware enough to work and actually has some nice dramatic scenes as well. (I think Hercules must've been the more broadly comedic one, I haven't checked to see if that's there.)

Also Lucy Lawless is instantly convincing and has a lot of star quality. I'm glad she ended up doing a lot more TV including BSG, Spartacus, Parks and Rec, stalking Joel McHale, etc.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Xena: Warrior Princess holds up better than I would expect. Don't get me wrong, it's a cheesy B swords and sorcery movie done as a weekly show, but it's self aware enough to work and actually has some nice dramatic scenes as well. (I think Hercules must've been the more broadly comedic one, I haven't checked to see if that's there.)

Also Lucy Lawless is instantly convincing and has a lot of star quality. I'm glad she ended up doing a lot more TV including BSG, Spartacus, Parks and Rec, stalking Joel McHale, etc.

I've been having fun revisiting Xena and Hercules (yeah it's on there) with the wife and its been a grand old time. And Airwolf.

Also Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Amazon Prime.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I've been having fun revisiting Xena and Hercules (yeah it's on there) with the wife and its been a grand old time. And Airwolf.

Buffy is also on Netflix, for those without Prime.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CaptCommy posted:

Buffy is also on Netflix, for those without Prime.

Well goddamn.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is breaking bad or archer on netflix? I want to watch them, but i dont want to buy the disks so streaming works out. I have student prime too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is breaking bad or archer on netflix? I want to watch them, but i dont want to buy the disks so streaming works out. I have student prime too.

Yes and yes! Just not the most recent seasons.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Archer has seasons 1-2.
Breaking Bad has seasons 1-4.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

To any and all fans of really cheesy 90's-era genre TV shows, I recommend Lexx. It seems pretty divisive, and both the lovers and haters seem pretty vocal about why they love/hate it, but it was (and I think remains... I haven't seen it in a while) one of my favorite TV series. It has plenty of cringeworthy moments and/or entire episodes, but to me that just adds to the charm. It's very bizarre, very Canadian... and pretty much the polar opposite of Up-Its-Own-rear end Spergy Sci-Fi. It's like a bizarre Soap Opera/Sitcom that just happens to be set in space.

Think of Farscape, but add more hit-or-miss humor and awkward sexual situations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Netflix UK has the latest season of Breaking Bad.....

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is Iron Sky a so bad it's good or just a bad movie? Kinda curious.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
So bad it's bad and boring. I was dead asleep 30 minutes in and I tried re-watching it and just couldn't stand it.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

priznat posted:

It's bad because it tries to get in on the joke which ruins the setup instead of playing it straight.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bummer. Watching The Frighteners instead, love that movie.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SRM posted:

Equilibrium is awesome.

It truly is. It had a fraction of the budget of a modern thriller/action film, and I found the cheap way the film looked to be part of its charm.

It's one of the few films I consider a true "guilty pleasure." I can't defend it anyway on its merits, but I love it anyway.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Tewratomeh posted:

To any and all fans of really cheesy 90's-era genre TV shows, I recommend Lexx.

The thing about Lexx is each season is nearly a different show but it builds this very interesting aesthetic that runs through the whole thing and against all odds it's very compelling while still being kind of low and crass. I really liked it but I have trouble pointing to why.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

priznat posted:

Due to the long release time many of the jokes like cashing in on the Palin stupidity feel pretty dated.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Monkeyseesaw posted:

The thing about Lexx is each season is nearly a different show but it builds this very interesting aesthetic that runs through the whole thing and against all odds it's very compelling while still being kind of low and crass. I really liked it but I have trouble pointing to why.

The thing about lexx is that it has super compelling characters and situations but the actual episode plots are like a 14 year old wrote them.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The thing about lexx is that it has super compelling characters and situations but the actual episode plots are like a 14 year old wrote them.

I remember catching it late at night on Sci-Fi at a friend's house and oh man I loved every minute of it. Xev/zev was hot to a 13 year old and the show was risque and stupid so it was perfect for me. The last few times I tried to watch it I kind of never got very far though, even though it was enjoyable. :shobon:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

What does Netflix have in the way of classic kung fu films? It never recommends them to me but I feel like they have to be hiding somewhere.

On an unrelated note, Alejandro Jodorowsky's Santa Sangre is going off on March 1st as well and is certainly worth your time if you're a fan of ultra-surreal horror films full of religious imagery and hands.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

priznat posted:

Watching The Frighteners instead, love that movie.
Gah! I don't think I've ever seen such an exhausting movie. It really felt like one of those 3D-movie theme park attractions with the moving seats. The more of his pre-LOTR movies I see, the more of a mystery it is to me that they entrusted Peter Jackson with such a massive project. Maybe Heavenly Creatures will make everything clear...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh poo poo, The Fourth Kind is streaming.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The only thing I don't like about The Frighteners is that I can't help picturing Crispin Glover as the FBI guy.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

priznat posted:

The only thing I don't like about The Frighteners is that I can't help picturing Crispin Glover as the FBI guy.

Jeffrey Combs really knocked it out of the park, though. Not to mention a lot of the characteristics like the weird haircut and mannerisms were things he brought to the character.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

etalian posted:

Due to the long release time many of the jokes like cashing in on the Palin stupidity feel pretty dated.

It's a god drat shame they didn't have the balls to lean into their premise and instead added in lovely pop culture stuff. Then again that was the problem with all their previous movies so I'm not surprised. I am a bit disappointed though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Parachute posted:

Jeffrey Combs really knocked it out of the park, though. Not to mention a lot of the characteristics like the weird haircut and mannerisms were things he brought to the character.

Why isn't Jeffery Combs in more things :mad:
About the only things he seems to be doing is voice acting for animated shows these days, but he's very talented at physical acting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Parachute posted:

I agree, he was great but I always think of what Crispin Glover would have been like. I can't explain it!

Agreeing that Combs should be in more stuff too.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh poo poo, The Fourth Kind is streaming.

I saw this in theaters, it wasn't too bad, wished I had waited till it was on streaming. There were a few freaky parts.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Hey, The American Astronaut is streaming. Everyone needs to watch this, its really great. Its a space western musical.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, it's basically like watching a series which is the fan fiction of itself, if that makes sense. The writers preemptively wrote all the weird, awkward poo poo for you so there's really nowhere to go from there. But again, it somehow manages to not be a bad show despite having all the elements of badness in place.

One of the things that'll always stick with me, in regards to Lexx's cheapness (and tacky charm) is when they used an unmodified N64 controller as a prop. Didn't even try to disguise it, one of the characters just whips out an N64 controller, holds it right up to the camera and uses it like a super-advanced remote control device.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Scrubbed away some cinephile shame by finally watching Mulholland drive.

I love reading analysis about movies and it was funny to think it came out right around 9/11. I mean, I don't think it's thematically related in any way, but of course some people call it the best movie for the 9/11 decade, whatever that means.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Hey, The American Astronaut is streaming. Everyone needs to watch this, its really great. Its a space western musical.

It's on regular, free Hulu too so you have no excuse. Even if you don't like space western musicals it's worth a watch just for the sheer audacity of them making the entire movie in one large room that they just redecorated as needed and using paintings for the space shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orp1hNYowuM

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this has been mentioned, I checked a couple of pages back, but the netflix app for PS3 has 3d streaming now. Most of it is crap, but they have Cave of Forgotten Dreams on there. If you have a way of watching it, you should definitely see that one.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Medium Cool posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, I checked a couple of pages back, but the netflix app for PS3 has 3d streaming now. Most of it is crap, but they have Cave of Forgotten Dreams on there. If you have a way of watching it, you should definitely see that one.

Yes, but is it 3D compatible with Netflix on the 3DS?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Watching The Fourth Kind now, hoping it's just a slow starter because zzzzzzz.

Some nice camerawork but the "looking down from directly above" shots are a little bit obvious.

Edit: man I'm almost an hour into the movie and so far the scariest thing is the "real" dr tyler. :psypop:

priznat fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 25, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Scrubbed away some cinephile shame by finally watching Mulholland drive.

I love reading analysis about movies and it was funny to think it came out right around 9/11. I mean, I don't think it's thematically related in any way, but of course some people call it the best movie for the 9/11 decade, whatever that means.

Mullholland Drive was finished in 2000.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I was looking at instant watcher, and noticed Southland Tales which apparently stars The Rock and Justin Timberlake.

The summery: set in a dystopian near-future, director Richard Kelly's visionary tale of doom and destruction mines post-Sept. 11 angst and paranoia as Los Angeles teeters on the verge of social, financial and ecological catastrophe. While a heat wave blasts the sprawling metropolis, one man foresees the coming apocalypse -- but can he prevent it? Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson heads a star-studded cast that includes Sarah Michelle Gellar and Justin Timberlake.

It seems like it'll be terrible, so I gotta watch it!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

So I was looking at instant watcher, and noticed Southland Tales which apparently stars The Rock and Justin Timberlake.

The summery: set in a dystopian near-future, director Richard Kelly's visionary tale of doom and destruction mines post-Sept. 11 angst and paranoia as Los Angeles teeters on the verge of social, financial and ecological catastrophe. While a heat wave blasts the sprawling metropolis, one man foresees the coming apocalypse -- but can he prevent it? Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson heads a star-studded cast that includes Sarah Michelle Gellar and Justin Timberlake.

It bizarrely owns. Best scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra7Fa6kE718

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Bash Ironfist posted:

Don't be so down on Southland Tales. That movie is long and confusing, but amazing.

• Locked thread