Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Jon Lovitz is also insane in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Southland Tales is a guilty pleasure of mine, I love it.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Also worth noting that the director considers this scene "the film's heart and soul."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

scary ghost dog posted:

Jon Lovitz is also insane in it.

Jon Lovitz as a white-haired, deadpan racist L.A. cop.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Southland Tales will forever be regarded as the highlight of Richard Kelly's career. Make of that what you will.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Scrubbed away some cinephile shame by finally watching Mulholland drive.

I love reading analysis about movies and it was funny to think it came out right around 9/11. I mean, I don't think it's thematically related in any way, but of course some people call it the best movie for the 9/11 decade, whatever that means.

If you can get past Film Crit Hulk's highly irritating gimmick, this is a great essay on the Mulholland Drive:

http://badassdigest.com/2012/03/04/film-crit-hulk-smash-hulk-vs-the-genius-of-mulholland-drive/

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The girlfriend and I have been watching Xena too and it has been a treat to catch up with a childhood favorite. I think what makes it so enjoyable is that it breaks itself in really easily and accessibly. It gets into mid-series form very quickly, which makes it fun for me to re-watch and easy for her to get in to. I feel like most other 90's series take a full season to get into, personally. For example, TNG and Voyager were hard to get in to, TNG because the 1st season was boring for me to re-watch and Voyager for her because it required a level of interest and understanding that my gf didn't really have.

Also Lucy Lawless is really fun to watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
United 93 is on Streaming. It's a haigography but a really, extremely well done one.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sid Haig Filmography?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bash Ironfist posted:

So I was looking at instant watcher, and noticed Southland Tales which apparently stars The Rock and Justin Timberlake.

The summery: set in a dystopian near-future, director Richard Kelly's visionary tale of doom and destruction mines post-Sept. 11 angst and paranoia as Los Angeles teeters on the verge of social, financial and ecological catastrophe. While a heat wave blasts the sprawling metropolis, one man foresees the coming apocalypse -- but can he prevent it? Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson heads a star-studded cast that includes Sarah Michelle Gellar and Justin Timberlake.

It seems like it'll be terrible, so I gotta watch it!

Southland Tales was the worst film I had ever seen. Until I saw Revolver.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's on regular, free Hulu too so you have no excuse. Even if you don't like space western musicals it's worth a watch just for the sheer audacity of them making the entire movie in one large room that they just redecorated as needed and using paintings for the space shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orp1hNYowuM

I love The American Astronaut, though if I had to gripe about it, I'd say it never really lives up to the potential of its excellent first act. It's pretty scatter shot after it leaves the Ceres Crossroad, but it's still overall a very fun movie. The music is a lot of fun. The clip you linked is one of my favorite scenes in a musical ever.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

North Sea, Texas got added recently. It's basically just another gay teenage coming of age film, but it is so, so beautifully shot. Dialogue and plot are sparse, but so much is said in body language, glances, and lighting. The light is almost like a main character here. It reflects the mood, bouncing and shimmering off surfaces. There's this amazing scene where the two teens are walking along a beach while the wind is sweeping and windblown sand is making these beautiful patterns in the background, and on a pivotal moment in their conversation the sunlight becomes hidden in clouds and the shot changes moods so sharply and intensely.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Steven Wright's When The Leaves Blow Away is worth a look. The first half is his standup (funny, but not his best material) and the second half is a short black and white film. It's absurd, and occasionally hilarious, and poignant despite itself. Is it attempted satire? Probably. But who knows what's in that guy's head.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AndyP posted:

Southland Tales will forever be regarded as the highlight of Richard Kelly's career. Make of that what you will.

Southland Tales was Richard Kelly saying "Okay, Donnie Darko made too much sense. I have to really try to get it right this time."

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mullholland Drive was finished in 2000.

Or was it finished in 2001, and the last part is really a flashback to 2000?

(No I'm sure you're right. It just seems that being released in October 2001 dooms you to some post 9/11 film analysis)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Most of it was shot in 1999 and it was finished in 2000, then debuted at Cannes in early 2001. Speaking of things that probably have a dozen hours of footage cut away from it...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Spuckuk posted:

Southland Tales was the worst film I had ever seen. Until I saw Revolver.

I do not get Revolver. Not just "I don't understand the movie", but "I don't understand how or why it got made and turned out like it did". It's such an aberration from his usual style. Should we blame Madonna somehow?

Edit: I mean the movie feels like a bad parody or ripoff of Ritchie's better movies. Cheeky criminals and wacky goings on but it's like he was on peyote or insane while making the movie.

edit 2:

Well I guess this explains part of it:

"Guy Ritchie was, during the time of conceiving and executing the film, interested in Kabbalah.[4] The film itself is laced with references to Kabbalic ideas, symbols and numerological references.[5]"

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 26, 2013

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

priznat posted:

Watching The Fourth Kind now, hoping it's just a slow starter because zzzzzzz.

Some nice camerawork but the "looking down from directly above" shots are a little bit obvious.

Edit: man I'm almost an hour into the movie and so far the scariest thing is the "real" dr tyler. :psypop:

Yeah dude I literally fell asleep in the middle of the day watching this. It was just boooooring.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Zero Karizma posted:

If you can get past Film Crit Hulk's highly irritating gimmick, this is a great essay on the Mulholland Drive:

http://badassdigest.com/2012/03/04/film-crit-hulk-smash-hulk-vs-the-genius-of-mulholland-drive/

This is super great! Thanks for the link.

Yes, it's a very annoying gimmick. He should've done it as Bruce Banner, hulking out when he got really into things. Or something.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

PonchAxis posted:

Yeah dude I literally fell asleep in the middle of the day watching this. It was just boooooring.

I still can't get the point of reinactments of spooky stuff they supposedly have real footage of. It's as if it was a tv ghost show had a real film crew and an honest to goodness filmy time quality camera. Ends up looking like we're watching rehearsals.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Junkie Disease posted:

I still can't get the point of reinactments of spooky stuff they supposedly have real footage of. It's as if it was a tv ghost show had a real film crew and an honest to goodness filmy time quality camera. Ends up looking like we're watching rehearsals.

Yeah, that was really weird how it would cut back and forth. I was thinking it was building to something in the 3rd act, but nope. One of those real teases of a movie where you think well maybe it'll have some cool payoff but instead you get a guy interviewing a boring crazy lady in a wheelchair.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I was just thinking about it and netflix should have some way that you can donate towards your favorite shows getting on there, or them continuing the shows they are creating. I would totally give them like 20 bucks to make sure they make a fifth season of Arrested Development, because I just love that show so much.

On topic: Troll 2 is going off Instant on March 1st so if you like terrible 80's(?) movies then watch it now!

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

I'll just leave this here.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ghost_Rock/70000364?trkid=4375105

mrlego fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 27, 2013

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Gallant posted:

On topic: Troll 2 is going off Instant on March 1st so if you like terrible 80's(?) movies then watch it now!

1990...which makes it so 80s it hurts. Especially the girl. And her boyfriend. And her boyfriend's 'boys.'

So, what he said. Watch it!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I love that the poster/cover/whatever that is assumes that we're supposed to be impressed by the director. "Oh my God, Dustin Rikert has a new film out?!"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mac & Me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdvO0tmNjGo Product Placement was unpaid. That is not what makes this movie amazing!
You might want to sit down before watching that clip for how kicking rad and adorable that bear is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'll ask this here since the thread gets a bit of traffic.

Can someone with Amazon Prime Instant Video (the free streaming stuff) check if the TV series 'The Shield' is in high-definition? Thanks.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

If this movie does not have a literal ghost rock, I am going to be extremely disappointed.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Joe Don Baker posted:

I'll ask this here since the thread gets a bit of traffic.

Can someone with Amazon Prime Instant Video (the free streaming stuff) check if the TV series 'The Shield' is in high-definition? Thanks.
It is not HD.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I remember reading in the old Shield thread a long time ago that there's some issue with the old seasons being shot in 4:3 or something like that that makes it really hard to do an HD/Blu-Ray version of the show. So you shouldn't let the fact that it's not HD stop you, since there probably will never be a blu-ray of The Shield.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Popular Human posted:

I remember reading in the old Shield thread a long time ago that there's some issue with the old seasons being shot in 4:3 or something like that that makes it really hard to do an HD/Blu-Ray version of the show. So you shouldn't let the fact that it's not HD stop you, since there probably will never be a blu-ray of The Shield.

I already have the DVD's. I was just hoping it might have been HD. I don't really about the aspect ratio. I've always figured the show is sorta meant to be 4:3 like The Wire. I just want to see Shane blow his brains out in HD.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 27, 2013

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Yea it was weird watching all of The Shield. Seasons 1-2 are HD then 3-5 go into SD then the last two are HD again :psyduck:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Popular Human posted:

It wasn't the aspect ratio; Sony claimed the 16mm film stock they used wasn't sufficient for an HD release. Although as this article points out, it's not like 16mm shows/movies have never come to Blu-ray before.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

The reviews for Christmas Puppy on Netflix Streaming are hilarious.

There are reviews on Netflix Instant? We've only been using the Roku so it just shows you ratings

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Undefeated is so drat good.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

There are reviews on Netflix Instant? We've only been using the Roku so it just shows you ratings

The website has them, but I haven't seen it on any of the apps (apple TV, Ipad, roku, etc.)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Shaolin Grandma is one of the greatest things I've seen in a while. I'm hesitant to write anything else because it's better to go in with zero expectations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Elevator Trap Why What. Why? Oh good god, want a movie that disrupts your whole day?
A elevator filled with 4 people with dark secrets are trapped. Its about that for about 20 minutes. The rest M. Night is swearing that someone stole his thunder. I don't want to say much but was this supposed to be a comedy?

Also to cap off my Japanese kick I recommend the heck out of "Fish Story" Can punk rock save the world?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Surf Nazis Must Die is disappointingly slow and not nearly as batshit as the title would suggest. It's basically a low budget The Warriors if you can believe that. I would give it a skip or just watch it in the background with your expectations low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Really? I loved Surf Nazis. You really really really have to be a person who likes silly cinema/are in the mood for silly cinema, though.

I will be completely honest, lines like "I am the führer of New Beach" had me laughing harder than most intentional comedies.

(It was undoubtedly a really dumb movie though)

• Locked thread