Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

satchbag posted:

Wow. I didn't know there was access to that much information. Thanks for filling me in. I enjoy the "Trending Tag" idea. I could see there being a give-and-take to the implementation of that. A student game channel would be very great. Having access to such an open forum of potential feedback would only help growth as a designer/developer.
The only way this would possibly help is if it doesn't act like the majority of "indie developer communities," which is to say "a bunch of wannabe developers jerk each other off while dismissing all criticism as 'non-constructive' because nobody should ever be told their terrible ideas are, in fact, loving terrible. You might hurt someone's feelings!" Uhrman wants to talk about the downfall of gaming? I'll give her a hint: It's when games called things like "2D Cube Zombie Platformer" start winning awards.

If you need further proof that this "Game Jam" business is all a load of poo poo, keep in mind that this

Uncle Jam posted:

Guys what game are you gonna play first on launch day?

For me its definitely this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmq-tFrBsno

Check out that action!
was described as "beautifully animated" by the judges.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Red_Mage posted:

Irrelevant. All the curation and discoverability in the world doesn't help newgrounds because its game offerings are poo poo.

If Newgrounds' curation system is totally irrelevant to its quality than why did even make that comparison in the first place? :psyduck:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

If you need further proof that this "Game Jam" business is all a load of poo poo, keep in mind that this

The ladder animation at :53 is masterfully done, truly the work of some talented developers.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

After watching a few HooHa unboxing videos I can now say that the "developers" look and act exactly as I expected.

This is good, or not so much, actually feels cheap but HEY IT'S ONLY BETA OR ALPHA OR WHATEVER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peRCQfSTGBk&t=314s

Oh, hey there's a lizard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRumLSgpL7w&t=185s

I'm a cool internet guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRnhxel2KFs&t=30s

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Why does her ghost stay outside her body when she starts walking again? I guess that is one of the mysteries of this horror puzzle game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Like I said, this won "most immersive". Think about that. Reflect on it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Der Shovel posted:

Like I said, this won "most immersive". Think about that. Reflect on it.

It probably fell in the judges' virtual jam jar.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

raditts posted:

Why does her ghost stay outside her body when she starts walking again? I guess that is one of the mysteries of this horror puzzle game.

Why does she look pregnant? All that out of body stuff can't be good for the baby.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

satchbag posted:

Wow. I didn't know there was access to that much information. Thanks for filling me in. I enjoy the "Trending Tag" idea. I could see there being a give-and-take to the implementation of that. A student game channel would be very great. Having access to such an open forum of potential feedback would only help growth as a designer/developer. A good way this may flesh out would be having channels where people can try out some of the highlighted games from the more well-known Game Jams (GGM, etc). Was this posted up somewhere on their site? Or you had a chance to watch some interviews with the staff? I do wonder how big the team is. Considering it was birthed via Kickstarter, I'd imagine not too many.

OUYA people have been making a tour of a lot of IGDA chapters, talking directly to developers and getting the hardware into their hands, very grassroots stuff. There are a few youtube videos of talks that they've given at some of those events, that's where I got most of that info. As far as staff size, it seems like it's something like a couple dozen.

quote:

Look at how lovely these game jam prototypes are!

I was thinking about writing up a post about how absurd it is to make fun of game jam prototypes but I guess it's pointless; the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. We'll just have to wait until some of these are released as full games and see if any of them are any good. If a game comes out and is fun to play, that'll be a much better argument than anything I could say.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

XboxPants posted:

If a game comes out and is fun to play, that'll be a much better argument than anything I could say.

Not really though? Like even if a good and fun game comes out on the BAZINGA that really doesn't make an argument of getting a BAZINGA over literally any other way to get games to your TV via Android.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Guys what game are you gonna play first on launch day?

For me its definitely this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmq-tFrBsno

Check out that action!

If you click on the first annotation of this video you can see a more recent version of the game with actual animations and stuff. It still doesn't look any better than a flash game, but it's not as mind bogglingly awful as people are making it out to be.

I'm all for making fun of dumb Ouya things, but at least we should mock accurately.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

If you click on the first annotation of this video you can see a more recent version of the game with actual animations and stuff. It still doesn't look any better than a flash game, but it's not as mind bogglingly awful as people are making it out to be.

I'm all for making fun of dumb Ouya things, but at least we should mock accurately.

The only difference I see is in the ghost sprite, I think mockery is still pretty appropriate.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Three specific things that people mentioned in this thread were changed - ghost animation, climbing animation, and the ghost staying around when she returns to her body. That's all I meant - the specific things people were making fun of aren't present in the later version.

Sorry if I'm making too big a deal out of it, it's still an extremely simplistic and boring looking game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Making fun of game jam prototypes is perfectly valid when those are the only games the YABBA DABBA DOO-YA even has.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Regy Rusty posted:

Three specific things that people mentioned in this thread were changed - ghost animation, climbing animation, and the ghost staying around when she returns to her body. That's all I meant - the specific things people were making fun of aren't present in the later version.

Sorry if I'm making too big a deal out of it, it's still an extremely simplistic and boring looking game.
The point is that the judges called the non-animated version "beautifully animated." The whole shebang is just another part of that backslapping, only-positive-feedback indie dev community.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Phantasium posted:

Making fun of game jam prototypes is perfectly valid when those are the only games the YABBA DABBA DOO-YA even has.

Alright, I think I understand that. It would be like if Ludum Dare entries were the only games available on PC. I can see where people are coming from, then.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Not really though? Like even if a good and fun game comes out on the BAZINGA that really doesn't make an argument of getting a BAZINGA over literally any other way to get games to your TV via Android.

Right. But the argument I was going to present was just "holding incomplete/buggy/placeholder/thrown-together art assets in a game jam entry against the quality of the game is silly". In that case, if one of these "horrible" games comes out and is, shockingly, better than the one-week prototype, and actually fun, that would be a good support for that argument.

Like that Whispering Willows game. I'd agree that it's not the best choice for "Most Immersive". It's an easy game to make fun of, and several of the things people have said, even I laughed at. It's up on Kickstarter and I haven't backed it and don't plan on it. I think it has potential to be good, but they haven't shown enough for me yet.

But the art is really good for a game jam. It's missing a ton of animation, sure, but that's not really "bad" animation. To me all that shows is lack of experience with game jams - they don't know how to plan out a game that can be made in an ultra short period of time. Again, though, the art they actually made mostly looks good. Show me a game jam entry with better hand-drawn style art that didn't win an award for it. I wouldn't be surprised if the full game actually ended up being great. But, like I said, if the game actually comes out and looks good, that makes a far better argument than just me saying "hey, it might end up good, don't judge yo".

And the other thing is that I'm not going to ask people on the freaking something awful forums not to make fun of stuff. That's one of the biggest lessons I've learned from the first thread; ya gotta separate jokes from criticism. The difference being, of course, that the main concern of a joke is to be funny... so, responding to it with "That's not a valid criticism!" is completely tone deaf. It's something I already knew, but apparently I needed a lesson in actually practicing it.

The point is that the judges called the non-animated version "beautifully animated." The whole shebang is just another part of that backslapping, only-positive-feedback indie dev community.

Perhaps, when they used the term "animated" they were referring the hand-drawn cartoon animation style of the art.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 25, 2013

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

XboxPants posted:

Perhaps, when they used the term "animated" they were referring the hand-drawn cartoon animation style of the art.

On a serious note, splitting hairs like this makes you look like a shill.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

XboxPants posted:

OUYA people have been making a tour of a lot of IGDA chapters, talking directly to developers and getting the hardware into their hands, very grassroots stuff. There are a few youtube videos of talks that they've given at some of those events, that's where I got most of that info. As far as staff size, it seems like it's something like a couple dozen.
Most IGDA events are a small number of developers (who mostly do not work for big studios, because they don't need to make connections) and about a million college students looking for connections.

The IGDA isn't awful, but their events, much like Game Jams, is primarily a hobbyist venue.

quote:

I was thinking about writing up a post about how absurd it is to make fun of game jam prototypes but I guess it's pointless; the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. We'll just have to wait until some of these are released as full games and see if any of them are any good. If a game comes out and is fun to play, that'll be a much better argument than anything I could say.

Yes, because so many games have started at Game Jams and then became full fledged releases that make lots of money, this happens all the time.

I am literally not aware of any successful games that started at a Game Jam. I'm not saying they don't exist, but Game Jams are not a major force for retail game creation, and OUYA pretending like they are is beyond silly.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I shouldn't have said "perhaps", I guess that made what I was saying sound weak. I was trying to be polite. What I meant was "goddamn man they are obviously saying 'animated' because it has a cartoony style".

It's not splitting hairs. Differentiating between art style "animated" and movement "animation" is not some minor technical difference, even if they are the same word. A game can have well-drawn visuals and lovely movement, or vice versa.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This makes you look like the guy at the back of the pack taunting someone.

Funny thing, perception.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

XboxPants posted:

A game can have well-drawn visuals and lovely movement
Here's the ur-example of that, lest we forget its terribleness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZUJFW_B4M4

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

bucketmouse posted:

It looks much better on an actual system, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bucketmouse posted:

Wow, surely there's got to be lots of frame skipping there, right?

...Right?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

raditts posted:

Wow, surely there's got to be lots of frame skipping there, right?

...Right?

Yeah there is a fair bit of skipping and slowdown in that video, it doesn't change the fact that Wario handles really badly on an actual wii. It looks nice but plays poorly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Which then sends those same people into a loving fit when they're shot down on places like Steam Greenlight and they go into comment lockdown to snuff out negativity put forth about their dreams.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Evil Fluffy posted:

Which then sends those same people into a loving fit when they're shot down on places like Steam Greenlight and they go into comment lockdown to snuff out negativity put forth about their dreams.

I really don't get how these people function. If something is turned down or sent back due to not meeting standards, just redo it until it meets them. All games require some form of graphic arts, and the number one phrase that graphic artists hear is "Do it again!". Nothing is going to be released fully functioning at the first go, you have to do multiple takes for any form of creative oriented media.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

WendigoJohnson posted:

I really don't get how these people function. If something is turned down or sent back due to not meeting standards, just redo it until it meets them. All games require some form of graphic arts, and the number one phrase that graphic artists hear is "Do it again!". Nothing is going to be released fully functioning at the first go, you have to do multiple takes for any form of creative oriented media.
Don't these developers realize that you have to just tighten up the graphics a little bit on level 3?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

JazzFlight posted:

Don't these developers realize that you have to just tighten up the graphics a little bit on level 3?

Unless you horribly screw up on a model if if it's scrapped entirely, what people do is use save states to keep earlier forms of their work so you don't need to redo everything from the ground up every time ever. But if something is scrapped and there are a slew of generic parts you can make and keep that can be adjusted for different situations to save time. For example keeping 3-4 different sets of hands made for a character.

Hell I bet nobody realised that games like The Last Story had all the playable female characters have the same universal body type and playable males have their own universal body type. It's two character bodies between the whole entire party, and that's not even counting the NPCs that re-use assets.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
You remember that Human Element prequel that boasted being the first 1st party Ouya title announced?

The release date to the Ouya is scheduled for 2015. Ouya is supposed to be on its 3rd gen by then.

By the way XboxPants, can you confirm that all of the games announced for 2014 will be targeting the Ouya 2 console?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Tentatively called the Twoya.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Just watch as that cheap plastic piece of poo poo controller ends up being the final version.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Did I misread something, or did I actually see the argument on this page that the most beautifully animated game on the Ouya was only called that because the people saying it don't actually know what "animated" means?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cabbagepots posted:

Just watch as that cheap plastic piece of poo poo controller ends up being the final version.

Uh, it already is the final version, the final version will just use opaque plastic

Wendell
May 11, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

Did I misread something, or did I actually see the argument on this page that the most beautifully animated game on the Ouya was only called that because the people saying it don't actually know what "animated" means?

Yes, but the rest of us ignored it because it was making us uncomfortable.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Uncle Jam posted:

You remember that Human Element prequel that boasted being the first 1st party Ouya title announced?

The release date to the Ouya is scheduled for 2015. Ouya is supposed to be on its 3rd gen by then.

By the way XboxPants, can you confirm that all of the games announced for 2014 will be targeting the Ouya 2 console?

Human Element is absolutely, positively, without a doubt never coming out. The guy thinks he can make a great game because he community managed at Infinity Ward and thinks about zombies a lot.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CaptainCaveman posted:

Forget it, CaptainCaveman. It's XboxPants.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

XboxPants posted:

I shouldn't have said "perhaps", I guess that made what I was saying sound weak. I was trying to be polite. What I meant was "goddamn man they are obviously saying 'animated' because it has a cartoony style".

It's not splitting hairs. Differentiating between art style "animated" and movement "animation" is not some minor technical difference, even if they are the same word. A game can have well-drawn visuals and lovely movement, or vice versa.
I'm guessing the HOORAH developers don't have access to built-in libraries that enable them to easily reference the English language without having to code nouns and adjectives from scratch.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

:psyduck: Do you guys not understand, like... language?

There are two possible meanings they could be going for when they say "beautifully animated". One of them makes sense and fits in the context. The other one doesn't fit at all, to the point of being laughably absurd. Is the idea that they are using the meaning they make sense really that strange?

This is not some kind of arcane linguistic puzzle that rarely comes up in everyday life. When someone uses a word that could mean two things - and only one of them makes sense - you assume that they mean the one that makes sense. This is core to the process of how meaning is successfully conveyed from one person to another. Look up semantics sometime.

(also, in case you somehow just don't believe "animated" refers to cartoon animation, look up [video game "beautiful animated style" -pixar] on google. top 3 results are all cartoonish games, even an anime-styled 3D RPG)

(edit: forgot the -pixar clause)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 26, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There are no meanings for beautifully animated that fit that game as it is shown in the video that also bear relation to the normal meanings of beautiful or animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
No, sorry mate, it's not "beautifully" anything.

Much like the OINGOBOINGO, it's a cheap pile of trashed designed to get idiot's money.

• Locked thread